C7 Corvette on Alpha Platform?

dwightlooi

It'll be interesting to see if the Corvette will soldier on with the venerable body-on-frame Y-Platform or if it'll adopt the Alpha Platform.

Theoretically, the Alpha will work with a Vette. At 3,350 lbs for a 5-seater sedan with steel body panels, it can conceivably be aluminized and composited to the 3,000 lbs range for a 2-seat Vette. Using the Alpha will mean considerable economy of scale given that the Vette will probabbly share a lot of components with the ATS Coupes and possible a Chevy or two. The Y-Platform on the other hand is getting really long in the tooth -- the last major revision on the underlying structure being 25 years ago with the 1984 C4. The only thing about the Alpha being that it probably precludes the use of a rear mounted transaxle.

I was wondering the same thing... but I figured unless the plastic fantastic becomes only skin deep (fiberglass-wise), the Alpha with its unibody design wouldn't provide the strength the Y platform provides... where the frame itself provides most of the strength, moreso than a typical BOF car.

Does the current Y-platform really still have a lot in common with the 1984?

I have read a while back that the new Vette could show up on the Alpha as this is not an new Idea. It seems like something that could be done easily on several levels and when I saw the weight I thought that it might not be a bad Idea.

Also GM is said to be considering a small roadster for Cadillac? on the same platform. Not sure where this one came from or where it might go.

With the Vette it is hard to make a call as often many of the ideas leaking out are just ideas that lead no where. Often the ideas come from GM engineeing, Chevy and the Vette team. After they all get passed down often many of these ideas get killed or are stillborn. This is how the midengine comes up every time,.

What we do know is the new cars wheel base is changed just a little and the track is more narrow. The Mules are using the C6 body with the new car under it. Some have 4 tail pipes functional and I have seen some with 4 pipes but only two open.

The Alpha so far shows it could do the job if called upon. It is a very flexible platform. light.If it is to handle as well as many claims on the ATS it will be still be a stiff and solid platform.

We also know the Cadillac already has a 5 link rear that I am sure could adopt the buggy spring for the purist.

The real key is if this platform is good enough it will help secure the Vettes place to continue. While it is favorite son the Vette it still does not get a free pass anymore with GM nor has it for a while. sharing some parts will help keep the car profitable and safe. The Vette is to Chevy like the Goodyear blimp. It is a great ambassador for the company but they could easily live without it if needed in the eyes of some. Look at how many for years now have argued the Vette should be split away from Chevy.

The other question is if used will the Alpha be used on the C7 or C8 as they claim the C7 is going to be a short term car and there will be major changes coming on the already started C8.

It will be interesting to see what rumours and it is nearing time for Motor Trend to do their 4 page spread on all the claims of the new car and thier often underestimated conclusion.

This one may be fun to watch.

Corvette definitely isn't on Alpha.

Thanks for the info.

I suspect the C7 is more evolved C6 for the most part. The mules show some change but nothing radical in Chassis size.

Have you seen one? If you have whats up witht he tail pipes? It looks like some have two pipes open and two dummy pipes. Other mules I have seen look like all 4 are functional.

I did see the 7 speed in the one already but they are not showing enough to tell much more.

A non Alpha Vette would be good news for the Alpha Cadillac Roadster as we would not have a repeat mistake of the XLR. They were just a little too close in the gene pool. I expect with Chevy going global they would expect more exports and more sales overseas. This may account for the narrower track.

Edited by hyperv6

Have you seen one? If you have whats up witht he tail pipes? It looks like some have two pipes open and two dummy pipes. Other mules I have seen look like all 4 are functional.

Only the powertrain mules that you've all already seen. I haven't heard what the story is on the pipes.