C/D: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra Spy Photos

BigPontiac

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/01/spied-2014-silveradosierra-winter-testing.html

I meant to post this the other day....

BigPontiac, from other places sources have stated that rear hinged extended cab doors, a'la Ram 1500 and Tundra, are going to be on the new GM pickups. Not only is having a B-pillar more structurally sound, but the convenience of accessing the rear seat is better than having the suicide half doors. If you notice in all of the spy shots the half door area seems to be larger (longer?) than the current models... which would make sense with rear hinged doors.

Though don't get upset yet.... camo is good at disguising and misleading spy shots, so until the official pictures are released we really won't know what is to be offered. My gut feeling is that we'll see these new trucks in the flesh at the Chicago show in a couple of weeks.

What this tends to tell me is GM is fixing things that aren't broken. The GMT-900s already seem to have a smaller rear cab area on the extended cab models than my current GMT-800. I open that rear hinged door in my current truck on a daily basis from my driver's seat. This shows GM isn't listening to what customers want, just making assumptions by copying others. Of the people I know with GM extended cab trucks, none put people in the back. Many, like me, put large dogs back there. Buyers who need to haul people and value the rear door being able to open independently for a child to exit, etc buy a Crew Cab. Regular cab, extended cab and crew cab buyers have very different preferences from my experience.

If they felt the need to change the door design, make it slide like the Dodge Rampage concept.

Not sure who they're using in customer clinics, but they're getting bad input.

Who thinks walking around a front-hinged rear door to get at the back seat is easier than pulling the release handle on a suicide door? Not me.

Who thinks it's easier to load large people and/or cargo into the back with a B pillar there than without one? Not me.

Add me to the list of people who don't like this. If you want a forward-hinged rear door, get a crew cab.

I wonder if they are removing weight this way? There is a lot of extra support they have to build in to remove the B pillar that you don't see.

I like the present system best but I am not going to lose sleep if they change it.

The B pillar missing is easier to get larger items in. It is a bigger pain when you arms are full and you have to open two doors in the present system. There are pro's and cons to each.

• Agree 1

I wonder if they are removing weight this way? There is a lot of extra support they have to build in to remove the B pillar that you don't see.

I like the present system best but I am not going to lose sleep if they change it.

The B pillar missing is easier to get larger items in. It is a bigger pain when you arms are full and you have to open two doors in the present system. There are pro's and cons to each.

Weight, safety, and lower cost of development and manufacturing are probably all reasons for going to front hinged door for the extended cab...

It is interesting that Ram today has 3 different 4dr cabs...the extended cab, crew cab, and mega cab..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Having driven a dodge with the small door for work where 2 suitcases and 2 backpacks and 2 ice. Heats were going in and out of the back seat for 6 months almost every day, I have to say it wouldn't have mattered how that door opened. You get used to it. In fact when asshats would park close it would have been a huge pain to have to open two doors to get my stuff in.

Walking aroud sucks but so does opening two doors if you just want to toss something in the back.

It would be nice to be able to open the suicide door independent of the front but you know it would just add to the material for the Dumbest Stuff on Wheels. Idiots would not only open the doors at speed ripping them off but someone will be there with a Video too.

^ Truck is a bit expensive for hijinks like than on any sort of calculable scale.

If the cab is properly engineered, it can have independent-opening suicide doors, maybe with a half pillar that snugs up to the front seatback. Maximum access. Do this for both the ext & crew cabs, and you'd have something over the competition.

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/01/spied-2014-silveradosierra-winter-testing.html

I meant to post this the other day....

BigPontiac, from other places sources have stated that rear hinged extended cab doors, a'la Ram 1500 and Tundra, are going to be on the new GM pickups. Not only is having a B-pillar more structurally sound, but the convenience of accessing the rear seat is better than having the suicide half doors. If you notice in all of the spy shots the half door area seems to be larger (longer?) than the current models... which would make sense with rear hinged doors.

Though don't get upset yet.... camo is good at disguising and misleading spy shots, so until the official pictures are released we really won't know what is to be offered. My gut feeling is that we'll see these new trucks in the flesh at the Chicago show in a couple of weeks.

I believe it is correct that the Suicide doors are history. The new requirements for Roll Over make keeping them on SUV's or Trucks with High Center of Gravity a hard thing to do. Safety will trump people preference for the wide open suicide doors.

I liked them, but I understand the Safety Police wanting better roll over protection.