Hyundai News:Hyundai Thinking About Creating Genesis Subbrand

William Maley

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

February 6, 2012

Hyundai could be adding a subbrand to further seperate its upscale cars from its mainstream vehicles.

“There's a conversation going on within the company that says, Does having the Hyundai badge on the premium vehicles sell more vehicles, or does it restrict us from selling more vehicles?” said Dave Zuchowski, executive vice president of sales for Hyundai Motor America.

The plan, if put into motion would would replace Hyundai's round "H" badge with a new badge on the Equus, Genesis sedan and Genesis Coupe. The vehicles would be branded as Genesis with an alphanumeric naming system and be sold at Hyundai dealers, not a separate dealership network.

Zuchowski said a decision hasn’t been made. If if the plan is approved, Zuchowski said it could happen when the redesigned Genesis Sedan and Equus are introduced in 2013.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

Makes sense...separate the RWD good stuff from the FWD appliances. I thought the Genesis models should have been in a separate brand to begin with...

I like the idea... just as I liked the idea that GM treat Pontiac as such.

Wish Pontiac had done that..,leave the FWD generics to Chevy and had a small focused line of serious RWD models..

This is a major "duh" on Hyundai's part. The Genesis on up are already sold as their own brand with its dealer network (or at least separate facilities) in Korea.

Given when they launched the Genesis coupe and sedan in the US, they probably thought the investment in a separate brand and dealer network was too risky.

I actually think they are fine with the way it is. Having the Genesis and Equus helps build image for the Hyundai brand and sell more at the lower end. Since the Genesis went on sale, the Hyundai brand has been doing really well. If it isn't a seperate dealer network, or even separate brand (like Ford-Lincoln in one dealer) I don't really see the point of trying to seperate it. Plus the cost, when the Genesis and Equus are low volume cars.

It is confusing already that the coupe and sedan are both Genesis, if the brand is Genesis do they rename the coupe 3.8C, the sedan 3.8S and the Equus 5.0SE, that is lame.

Hyundai still has too many connotations to low-rent, though the image is vastly improved over the last 5 years, and I don't think the few high-end cars help sell the others. They can stand on their own now. A lot of Genesis sedan owners already replace the Hyundai badge with the winged Genesis emblem. The decision seems easy to make.

Genesis and Equus NEED to be separated from all other Hyundais for one reason: they are actually desirable and they are completely different from all those FWD appliances. If Hyundai wants to compete with Toyota and Honda and Ford and Chevy, Genesis and Equus should have their own dealer network to compete against the luxury marques. Given the value a Genesis sedan is over almost all luxury marques, it is high time they are separate. I might even consider buying one one day (Memo to GM: more RWD please.).

Then again, if that were to actually happen, what would be Kia's role?

I think Hyundai's whole car line is pretty desirable right now. Genesis/Equus is about 3,000 cars a month, that isn't a stand alone brand. And they don't have the image to compete against luxury marques. I've driven a Genesis, it is nice car, I wouldn't have a problem buying one with the H badge on it.