Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Geneva 2012: *UPDATED* Someone Let The New A-Class Out Of The Bag: Comments

Also important to remember is Mercedes retains nearly 60% of their buyers so if the A-class/B-class brings in people that would have never bought a Mercedes before, they may be able to move those people into a C-class or E-class later down the road.

Yes, it's a gateway drug for premium cars....hook 'em when they are young.

Also important to remember is Mercedes retains nearly 60% of their buyers so if the A-class/B-class brings in people that would have never bought a Mercedes before, they may be able to move those people into a C-class or E-class later down the road.

I just saw a new report that mercedees repeat buyership was merely 34%. If that's correct, the whole 'trade up thru the line' is an urban myth.

Such a low retention rate would explain the flurry of niche & downmarket models; necessary to 'pump up the volume (mercedees' primary goal). I'll have to find the source where I read that...

Well I don't think Mercedes is looking to compete with existing models from other brands

The for-to entered an empty segment, the a-class is entering a jam-packed segment; they are absolutely going to compete with the other players here. It is inevitable. To profess otherwise is being obtuse.

I did see the report that said Merceds has 35% repeat buyers but it also said they were #1 among luxury brands. However JD Power in their customer retention study had Mercedes at 57% this year and 59% last year, and the top brand was Hyundai at 64% so by JD power's measure Mercedes has high retention.

34% is pretty dismal overall tho. Lux buyers seem to be a lot more fickle than one would suppose.

Jag was at like 16% IIRC- Jag is DRIVING them away.

34% is pretty dismal overall tho. Lux buyers seem to be a lot more fickle than one would suppose.

Jag was at like 16% IIRC- Jag is DRIVING them away.

Jags seem like they would be good for a short lease, but not for a long term relationship...

The fact that every auto maker goes through good quality and bad quality, if you have the money, then you will end up following the quality. I think this is more common with those in the earnings of $150,000 to $1,000,000 crowd.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook