Mercedez Benz News Mercedes-Benz Confirms The "Baby CLS"

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

March 30, 2012

While announcing a new factory in Hungary, Mercedes-Benz has confirmed that it will soon launch a compact, coupe-like four-door car.

The new car, reportedly called the CLA-Class will based on the on the new Mercedes Front Architecture (MFA) chassis design used by the new A-Class. The CLA will will reportedly look like a smaller version of the CLS.

The new CLA is expected to be shown next month at the Beijing Motor Show.

Source: Left Lane News

View full article

I think what MB could not get with the Chrysler purchase they are finally doing in house and we will see a wide range of Econo Sub compact to luxury S series. I wonder how it will play out in the US. The rest of the world is used to having chevy versions of MB plus their high end luxury. Will be an interesting next couple of years for MB.

mercedees has an increasingly bewildering array of alphabet names.

Was this FWD sedan expected, or is it a new addition?

It's been rumored for a while...a few years ago there was talk of it being a C-class based 4dr coupe...but now it's moved down to the A-class..

Shouldn't it be named the 'ALA' or something along those lines? (not that there's much sense to the structure as it is, anyway).

I think it's CLA since 'CL' denotes coupe and 'A' denotes A-class. But the 'CLS' isn't an S-class coupe, it's E-class derived. And the E-Class coupe is no longer the CLK. M-B naming structure seems to have lost it's way recently..

Another strange naming thing is the new SL 550 really should be the SL 470 (4.7 V8) but they apparently kept the 550 designation to save face in the US (downsizing engine size whilst raising prices doesn't look good), though in Europe it is the SL 500.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Mercedes is getting too many 3 letter names. I like the idea of a smaller cheaper CLS, but not a front drive one. If this was more a C-class variant rather than an A-class variant it would be interesting. Although if they price it against the Passat CC, Regal and TSX, those cars could be in big trouble.

I don't like a front drive Mercedes (the A/B class I don't mind because that is more a city car and perhaps necesarry evil to meet fuel economy requirements.) But to me this is like the front drive SRX, I don't like it, but this car will sell.

Edited by smk4565

I don't like a front drive Mercedes (the A/B class I don't mind because that is more a city car and perhaps necesarry evil to meet fuel economy requirements.) But to me this is like the front drive SRX, I don't like it, but this car will sell.

I guess the cynical perspective is they are selling models to younger, price sensitive buyers at the entry level that are clueless or indifferent to FWD vs RWD and just want the prestige brand image...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The first-gen CLS was a tough act to follow, I prefer it to the new one. It was such a pure design. I do find the A-class hatch interesting and distinctive, hopefully this new tiny CLS will be cool like the '59 190 sedan.