Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Honda News: Honda Wins Appeal Over Civic Hybrid Mileage Case

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

May 9, 2012

Heather Peters, the owner of a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid who won her case against Honda in small claim courts in February, has had here case overturned.

Superior Court Judge Dudley W. Gray II ruled in favor of Honda this week, saying the company complied with regulations one how automakers advertise fuel economy. Grey also wrote in his ruling that miles per gallon ratings are for comparing vehicles and don't account for factors that could effect mileage.

"Despite these many variables, most of the owners of the subject vehicle achieve fuel economy very close to the EPA estimate," Gray wrote.

"It's a sad day when regulations designed to protect consumers are used against them. I'm certain that the EPA and FTC never intended to shield Honda from liability for advertising claims that a court of law determined to be false." Peters said.

Source: Associated Press, Motoramic

Related:

A Honda Owner Takes The Company To Court, Minus The Lawyers

Honda Civic Hybrid Owner Wins Judgement Against Honda

View full article

This is the biggest sorry excuse for the courts. Protecting the criminal element again. It seems the courts are more interested in protecting the criminals than the victims.

It is disappointing that Honda got the verdict it wanted on appeal.

You cannot sue the EPA in state small claims court. That is jurisdiction of a federal court given that the defendant is a federal agency.

I know. And you can only sue the Federal government if they decide you can. Its BS.

And Leaders wonder why the people are rising up against them.

How are we rising up? Occupy gets laughed at by the media. And meanwhile, the only Presidential candidate who would work to change the status quo can't get past Mr. Fancy Hair.

While I believe some automakers are getting a freer pass than others, every ad I've seen that quotes fuel mileage estimates has the same disclaimer: "YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY".

Some vehicles get better than EPA estimates, some get worse, and I do believe a lot of that is in how the car is driven. Wasn't there some sort of revision in EPA testing a few years back that was designed to reflect a more honest result?