Cheers or Jeers: 1958 Oldsmobile Hearse

7 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! I bet she holds more cargo than a Super Guppy!
    • Jeers! Needs to be repainted black, have the stock wheels installed and lose the tacky skeleton motif.

I have a 1958 Oldsmobile Hearse by Comet Coach Co. that has been restored, its not in mint condition, does have a few dings and scratches, body is not perfect but it is an eye catcher, turns heads where ever you go and great at Halloween parties! Only one of three known out of 100!! There is one in Disney World and a privately owned white one in California. It has a 455 motor out of a Cutlass with 5500 miles since rebuild, Turbo 400 transmission with less than 3000 miles. New tires w/ 500 miles on them. Aftermarket air conditioning . Ron Francis wire harness, The "diamond tuffed" upholstery is in excellent condition! AM racing rims ( original 50's/60's wheel not a reproduction). Power steering/Power brakes, electric windows on the front 2 doors. Electric wipers, New 2 piece drive shaft,Holly electric fuel pump, New upper and lower ball joints, and an after market aluminum radiator. I have not used this as a daily driver but take this vehicle to mainly to car shows but could be a daily driver. There is only one known problem and that is a small power steering leak.

$(KGrHqNHJEgE-msl!1zsBPu,FT3,Wg~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJDEE-vmfnDCMBPu,FTG0NQ~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJCsE-nGUov06BPu,FUF5yw~~60_3.JPG

$%28KGrHqVHJE4E-me+Dg1hBPu,FTg+Qw~~60_3.JPG

Well is it a hearse or an amboolance?

Comet (and many others) built 'combinations', where purposely it could be used either way.

I see reference that Comet had removable casket rails & seats, where a hearse could easily be transformed into amboolance duty.

In '59, Comet marketed a 'blind quarter' model that still was trimmed out/used as a ambulance.

Don't care for the purple, like the wheels though. Get rid of the Halloween junk, put a back seat in, paint it a late '50s color scheme like coral and white and it would make a nice wagon..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Love the Purple, Freakin sweet man. This is the Ultimate Slurpie Mobile. Skeleton motif is rockin also. I could so see this in a Rock Video! :D