William Maley

Cadillac News: Rumorpile: More Details on The Cadillac ELR

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

July 2, 2012

General Motors has been quiet on the new Cadillac ELR since announcing it would go into production for the 2014 model year. However, Car & Driver has uncovered some information that shines some light of what we could expect of Cadillac’s new extended-range EV.

It’s been bandied about that ELR would share the same Voltec powertrain used in the Chevrolet Volt, but rumor has it that the ELR will swap the current 1.4L engine and use a naturally aspirated variant of Opel’s newly-developed Ecotec MGE engine. The Ecotec MGE engine is the base for a future family of low-emissions, direct-injection four-cylinder engines that will eventually replace most of GM’s Family 1 engines. For those wondering what a GM Family 1 engine is, the 1.8L four used in the Sonic and Cruze is one of them.

The Ecotec MGE engine block has been engineered to have a max displacement of 2.0L, though Car & Driver says expect the engine in the ELR to a 1.8L or less.

Another problem facing the ELR is weight. Compared to the Volt, the ELR is expected come with a wealth of luxury appointments and refinement, which means added weight and less range on electric power.

For 2013, the Volt gets a larger 16.5 kWh battery pack, which increased its electric range to 38 Miles. That gives us a hint the ELR might be getting a larger battery pack to overcome the added weight.

Source: Car & Driver

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

WOW, Talk about Bloat!

I thought the Volt did better than 38 miles on pure electric. Was it not rated at 80?

I would have expected the ELR to drop to about 60 due to weight and the traditional luxury bloat, but this is crazy. 38 miles only?????

So in rereading the C&D story, I can understand the limitations, but I still have to wonder about the battery pack challenges when you have other companies stating 200+ miles on electric. Why can GM only get so little out of the battery pack?

The Volt was only 40.

Wouldn't losing 2 doors cut weight?

I think the bigger news here is the engines. Those engines will eventually find their way into the Sonic and Cruze, neither of which are currently direct injected. Fuel economy and/or power on both of those models should improve nicely.

The Volt was only 40.

Wouldn't losing 2 doors cut weight?

I think the bigger news here is the engines. Those engines will eventually find their way into the Sonic and Cruze, neither of which are currently direct injected. Fuel economy and/or power on both of those models should improve nicely.

Minimal weight loss if any. Because the structural components, body panels are still there.

• Upvote 1

Unless they build this car out of carbon fiber it is going to be obese, and no one wants a 4,200 lb Delta platform car for $60,000. That makes a Cimarron look good. I think GM is making an error here, unless they can find away to deliver electric drive at ATS level performance. If they can make a performance electric car I am all for it, if this is a Cadillac that drags to 60 in 10 seconds and drains the battery in 30 miles, then no thank you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

WOW, Talk about Bloat!

I thought the Volt did better than 38 miles on pure electric. Was it not rated at 80?

I would have expected the ELR to drop to about 60 due to weight and the traditional luxury bloat, but this is crazy. 38 miles only?????

So in rereading the C&D story, I can understand the limitations, but I still have to wonder about the battery pack challenges when you have other companies stating 200+ miles on electric. Why can GM only get so little out of the battery pack?

Volt was 35, goes up to 38 for 2013

I hope the styling helps sell this car as I think it may be a challange. I hope I am wrong but I worry this one may not be a big sales hit.

I think GM should have done a small Minivan like the Chevy they showed in China. THat would have appealed to the eviro people much more.

This topic affects my keyboard. It makes one of the keys stick for some reason.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... see wut I mean? :smilewide:

the next step for the volt to evolve is weight loss and high tech materials.

maybe the volt just continues as the first production applications of newest technologies....

volt should shed 500 pounds......

At what point does the Volt and ELR become pointless? With mild hybrid vehicles getting the same or better mileage for less money, who is really going to buy these cars? Am I missing something?

I think the key is they plan to keep investing into these kinds of cars till batteries improve. The power cells are key and at some point with enough time and money being invested someone will solve the issue.

Even back in the day they knew how to make a light bulb but few could make one that did not burn out in a short period of time. Edison and others worked on it for a good while till better materials were found to solve the issue. Save idea applies here.

The key to keeping this market going is if they can even sell limited numbers of these cars it will give more companies reason to invest money into development into new materials for these cars. No market no investment it is that simple.

At what point does the Volt and ELR become pointless? With mild hybrid vehicles getting the same or better mileage for less money, who is really going to buy these card? Am I missing something?

The point is that the source of the rotational power is now moot. The engine in the volt is about as basic as you can get in a car today. it has not yet benefited from the technology gains other cars have. No direct injection no turbos

At what point does the Volt and ELR become pointless? With mild hybrid vehicles getting the same or better mileage for less money, who is really going to buy these cars? Am I missing something?

The point of the car is not Fuel Economy, but alternatives to petroleum. You can put an ICE, steam power, or nuclear fusion reactor to run the batteries and it will run just fine. None of the hybrids can make such claim despite boasting bigger fuel economy numbers. So the vehicles are not pointless but of importance from this point on.

Want a solar powered, steam wankel with a sterling engine waste heat collector? The Volt could, theoretically, use such a contraption and still operate as an every day car.

My wish for the Volt's next step is this: A very small displacement, turbo charged HCCI gas generator. HCCI can get 15% better fuel economy than a direct injected gas engine of the same displacement, but they don't like to rev. 3,000 RPM is about the limit for HCCI operation and then they have to switch over to spark ignition. This setup could potentially put the Volt into the 70mpg - 80mpg range

Could the VOLT and ELR benefit from a Aluminum/balsa wood tub or better yet Carbon Fiber tub like what BMW is doing for the next M3? This would totally rock as the amount of weight loss would truly help push up the pure electric numbers.

I would think some of the corvette weight saving mechanical ideas would be used in the volt to reduce and increase the electric range.

Before anyone says anything, NO I do not see this taking anything away from the Corvette by using parts from the light car.

Edited by dfelt

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. SalesmanSean
      SalesmanSean
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      With Lincoln beginning to roll out an all-new Navigator, Cadillac is trying to sway current Lincoln owners with a new offer on the Escalade.
      Bloomberg obtained a memo sent to dealers that reveals a $5,000 discount on the Escalade for any owner of a Lincoln model from 1999 to the current model year. GM spokesman Jim Cain confirmed the authenticity of the memo.
      This beginning of an offensive by Cadillac to keep the Escalade ahead of the new Navigator. Ford is also rolling out a new Expedition which is expected to steal some of the huge market share GM currently has in the segment.
      The deal is available if you decide to lease or purchase a new Escalade, and can be combined with other offers.
      “I don’t know that this will hurt their launch. But it is a way for Lincoln customers to step up into something more meaningfully luxurious,” said Cain.
      Throwing some shade at Lincoln might not be the wisest idea. At the moment, a redesign for the Escalade isn't expected till 2020. Plus, we think the Navigator blows the Escalade out of the water when it comes to the interior. We can't say which one is the better driving model till we get some drive time in both.
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      With Lincoln beginning to roll out an all-new Navigator, Cadillac is trying to sway current Lincoln owners with a new offer on the Escalade.
      Bloomberg obtained a memo sent to dealers that reveals a $5,000 discount on the Escalade for any owner of a Lincoln model from 1999 to the current model year. GM spokesman Jim Cain confirmed the authenticity of the memo.
      This beginning of an offensive by Cadillac to keep the Escalade ahead of the new Navigator. Ford is also rolling out a new Expedition which is expected to steal some of the huge market share GM currently has in the segment.
      The deal is available if you decide to lease or purchase a new Escalade, and can be combined with other offers.
      “I don’t know that this will hurt their launch. But it is a way for Lincoln customers to step up into something more meaningfully luxurious,” said Cain.
      Throwing some shade at Lincoln might not be the wisest idea. At the moment, a redesign for the Escalade isn't expected till 2020. Plus, we think the Navigator blows the Escalade out of the water when it comes to the interior. We can't say which one is the better driving model till we get some drive time in both.
      Source: Bloomberg
    • By William Maley
      For the First Time Since 2011, GM’s Retail Market Share Tops 17 Percent for Three Consecutive Months
      DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported 252,813 deliveries in the United States in October.
      Pickup deliveries totaled 84,902 units, up 9 percent year over year, led by the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Crossover deliveries totaled 82,235 units, up 12 percent year over year, driven by the highest October sales ever for five different models: the Chevrolet Equinox and Traverse, the GMC Acadia and the Buick Encore and Enclave. Combined Cadillac SRX and XT5 sales were up 17 percent. The Chevrolet Bolt EV and Buick Encore had their best months ever. Combined Commercial and Government deliveries were up 10 percent year over year, and 11 percent calendar year to date. Selling-day adjusted sales were up 2 percent. Total sales were down 2 percent, reflecting lower passenger cars deliveries and one fewer selling day year over year.
      Retail Share Momentum
      Exceptionally strong crossover deliveries at Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac helped the company achieve an estimated retail market share of 17 percent or more for the third consecutive month. The last time GM delivered three consecutive months at or above a 17 percent retail share was July-September 2011.
      Three crossovers reported massive year-over-year retail sales increases for the month: the Chevrolet Traverse was up 59 percent, the Chevrolet Equinox was up 22 percent and the Buick Enclave was up 75 percent. The GMC Sierra pickup also posted a large 23 percent increase in retail sales.
      “We are heading into the fourth quarter with good momentum, thanks to a strong U.S. economy and very strong pickup and crossover sales. In fact, Chevrolet and GMC have some of the fastest-turning crossovers in the industry,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “The all-new Chevrolet Equinox is off to a great start and we could have sold even more if we had more available. We also see tremendous upside with the launches of the 2018 GMC Terrain, Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave. They are arriving in showrooms at the same time consumer confidence is at its highest level since 2000. Small business optimism has also stayed very high since last fall, and that bodes well for pickup and van sales.”
      Customer demand for trucks and crossovers, combined with incentive spending discipline, is driving strong average transaction prices (ATP) for GM vehicles. GM’s October ATPs, which are net of incentive spending, were more than $36,000, about $1,000 per unit higher than the third quarter average.
      The GMC brand, which grew total and retail sales during the month, had its highest ATPs ever, driven by the success of Denali models, which reached 30 percent of retail sales.
      Supplemental Data
      GM reduced month-end inventory from September and is on track to close 2017 with significantly fewer vehicles in stock than in December 2016. Daily rental sales in 2017 are expected to be down about 50,000 units year over year. GM’s October incentive spending as a percent of ATP was an estimated 13.5 percent, according to JD Power PIN estimates, down from the third quarter estimate of 13.7 percent. Spending is down about one percentage point from September.
    • By William Maley
      Do you remember the Volkswagen Kübelwagen? You might know it better as the Thing sold in 1970s. Volkswagen could be bringing it back as an electric vehicle.
      Speaking with Car and Driver, Volkswagen brand boss Herbert Diess said the upcoming MEB (Modular Electrification Toolkit) architecture might be the perfect platform to bring back some of the company's iconic vehicles like the Thing.
      “MEB is flexible—rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive—and we have so many emotional concepts. I don’t know if you remember the Kübelwagen. This Thing is a nice car. Then there are all the buggies, the kit cars. We have the bus. We have the various derivatives of the bus. We have so many exciting concepts in our history that we don’t have to do a Beetle,” said Diess.
      This possible idea isn't that all surprising as Volkswagen as the I.D. Buzz was inspired by the Microbus.
      Speaking of the Beetle, Car and Driver asked if there will be a replacement for this model. As we have reported previously, the Beetle could be canned due to poor sales.
      “No decision yet. The next decision on the electric cars will be, ‘What kind of emotional concepts do we need?’ [A decision] might happen next year. This Beetle won’t go electric; the next one might, if there is a next one. We have a good chance on the electric side to do derivatives and emotional derivatives. It’s probably more efficient to do so than in [internal combustion] cars,” said Diess.
      “We could [build an electric Beetle], because it is rear-wheel drive, no grille. If we wanted to do a Beetle electrically, it would be much better than the current car. Much closer to the history of the Beetle. [But] I think the Microbus is a much better emotional concept for the brand than the Beetle. If you go to California, everybody would say it’s the bus.”
      Source: Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      Do you remember the Volkswagen Kübelwagen? You might know it better as the Thing sold in 1970s. Volkswagen could be bringing it back as an electric vehicle.
      Speaking with Car and Driver, Volkswagen brand boss Herbert Diess said the upcoming MEB (Modular Electrification Toolkit) architecture might be the perfect platform to bring back some of the company's iconic vehicles like the Thing.
      “MEB is flexible—rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive—and we have so many emotional concepts. I don’t know if you remember the Kübelwagen. This Thing is a nice car. Then there are all the buggies, the kit cars. We have the bus. We have the various derivatives of the bus. We have so many exciting concepts in our history that we don’t have to do a Beetle,” said Diess.
      This possible idea isn't that all surprising as Volkswagen as the I.D. Buzz was inspired by the Microbus.
      Speaking of the Beetle, Car and Driver asked if there will be a replacement for this model. As we have reported previously, the Beetle could be canned due to poor sales.
      “No decision yet. The next decision on the electric cars will be, ‘What kind of emotional concepts do we need?’ [A decision] might happen next year. This Beetle won’t go electric; the next one might, if there is a next one. We have a good chance on the electric side to do derivatives and emotional derivatives. It’s probably more efficient to do so than in [internal combustion] cars,” said Diess.
      “We could [build an electric Beetle], because it is rear-wheel drive, no grille. If we wanted to do a Beetle electrically, it would be much better than the current car. Much closer to the history of the Beetle. [But] I think the Microbus is a much better emotional concept for the brand than the Beetle. If you go to California, everybody would say it’s the bus.”
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook