Sky, Solstice and Corvette: S.O.S.

Where's the Nomad? It should be as easy as adding a few inches in rear overhang, right?

But doesn't that lead back to the point some of us have been making in favour of a more flexible platform?

Edited by ZL-1

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I see this is the debate that never dies. I'm too busy to show up for a few days and the thread is twice as long.

I wonder what our GM lurkers think of all of this.

Good points made by many here, but I stand in exactly the same place I did at the start of this topic. Meanwhile, the Kappa cars change minds about GM every day. 8)

Sir, you need to read posts more carefully.

Croc, signing off

As do you. That... and maybe some time at charm school wouldn't hurt, because when you imply someone is a liar, is stupid or is dense...it tends to piss them off.

And hey...thanks for signing off.

I don't think it was a feasible vehicle.  The main problem with Kappa is the lack of trunk space.  Have you seen the trunk?  It's non-existant due to the fuel tank.  People with roadsters are much more forgiving of that than, say, an owner of a wagon.  You start carrying 4 people you need to carry their stuff.  Nomad and Curve both failed at that.

Of course, don't you think that the stretched configuration would have forced a move toward a "split" gas tank, whuch would have benefitted EVERYONE with a Kappa. How did such a ridicuous configuration as the "Mayan" tower EVER get into production anyway?

MmmHmmm!

That's what I'm talking about!

Now that GM "knows" hot cars sell, maybe they'll make many more of them!!!

Hmm... looks like things got a bit off-topic here.

Wow, I do not know why I read all 13 pages of this tread, maybe I like to torture myself, but it did get ugly. I find myself coming here less and less because there seems to be an increase in flames and character assasinations. It becomes difficult to seperate the info from all the crap. :(

the reason i think this got so "off topic" was because some people dont want to accept the kappa cars for what they are...2 seat roadsters and nothing more.

in the interest of time and money it was put together at a quick clip and delivered a sold out performance.

down the road is zeta, lambda, and epsi 2 which are all as far as i know significantly more flexible and can be tailored to meet almost any demand.

my point earlier about the y-body only being used for basically one car, (now 2 xlr)...doesnt seem to draw the same criticisms as this platform has drawn.

no one begrudges the cars for what they are merely what they think they could have been. the original point is that it is great news for gm and perhaps a sign of things to come.

my only question is...if they had decided to in some way figure out how to make it more flexible and spent the extra time and lots more money, would we be more like to just sit back and wait or complain that the new cars are taking such a long time to get through development?

theyrre here now and the rest is on the way. thats how i see it.

I haven't been swayed from my original position. It's amazing how some people can continue to define themselves as GM enthusiasts after reading some of the responses here. I am not a "yes" man either, but I'm not going to tear down the company when they do something right.

Hey, I've said it before, I'll say it again: Build it, and they will come.

Yea that seems true they are doing alot better now with these new vehicles than they have been doing for a while now! Which is good because I wouldn't be able to live without my GM Vehicles!

Sold Out: Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice and Chevrolet Corvette Are All Spoken For This Year

Date posted: 04-20-2006

NEW YORK — General Motors may have posted its sixth straight quarterly loss on Wednesday, but many of its low-volume sports cars, including the yet-to-be-launched 2007 Saturn Sky, are already sold out for this year, according to GM Vice-Chairman Bob Lutz.

In a speech in New York, the GM executive said in reference to the Sky, "All available production for 2006 is accounted for."

The Sky shares its platform with GM's other popular roadster, the Pontiac Solstice. Lutz said the Solstice has the best turn rate of any vehicle in its segment and that the car is sold out for the 2006 model year. Pontiac launched the Solstice last year and by the fall had about 13,000 orders for only 7,000 units. The roadsters are often selling for more than their starting sticker price of $20,490.

Lutz said the Chevrolet Corvette is also sold out for the 2006 model year.

What this means to you: Expect to pay top dollar for the Sky, the Solstice… and the Vette — if you can get your hands on one.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=110101

Well, after sitting in the Solstice at my local dealer, I pass; you can have mine. The seats are strictly lousy with very poor bottom and back support and the driver sits off the left side since the seats are too narrow. The view across the cowl, hood and front fenders offers a very poor reference to the road. Instrumentation leaves much to be desired. No thanks! I am over the initial excitement; I pass! You can pay the premium price for a mediocre sports car. :yes:

sports car. Not me.

Guest Josh

Well, after sitting in the Solstice at my local dealer, I pass; you can have mine. The seats are strictly lousy with very poor bottom and back support and the driver sits off the left side since the seats are too narrow. The view across the cowl, hood and front fenders offers a very poor reference to the road. Instrumentation leaves much to be desired. No thanks! I am over the initial excitement; I pass!  You can pay the premium price for a mediocre sports car.  :yes:

sports car. Not me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I paid no premium and the seats feel fine to me, furthermore, the view across the cowl is something you get used to with one trip around the block. Not to mention, you'll purposefully slow down in traffic as to take in all the stares.

Thought I'd throw a comment in here.

My brother just bought a 2006 Corvette, every option expect the Z51 package. The experience at the dealership was great, let us look at all the Vettes, run them etc. And there was no markup at all on the price. He actually paid about $1000 or so below sticker.

The dealership, however, was sold out of Z06's. He said that they were sold out of 2006's, and had already sold 7 '07's. He said one guy called up from South Carolina and offered to pay $7500 over sticker, since they've been going for at least that at auctions.

Anyway, thats it--just thought I'd give my Vette update.

Well, after sitting in the Solstice at my local dealer, I pass; you can have mine. The seats are strictly lousy with very poor bottom and back support and the driver sits off the left side since the seats are too narrow. The view across the cowl, hood and front fenders offers a very poor reference to the road. Instrumentation leaves much to be desired. No thanks! I am over the initial excitement; I pass!  You can pay the premium price for a mediocre sports car.  :yes:

sports car. Not me.

Although I agree with some of his comments ( I don't like the seating position either) I don't see where you can say buying a car for around $20.000 is paying a "premium"! And for that price it isn't what I would call mediocre. Not everyone will like every car built. Just hope enough like each one to make it pay for itself.

I would serously like to be paying for a Nomad right now.