William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

October 10, 2012

1989 was a pivotal year in the automotive world. That would be the year when Toyota would introduce the Lexus brand and its first vehicle, the LS400. The LS shattered expectations of what a luxury car and quality should be. This startled the old luxury guard and caused many buyers to take a look at this newcomer. Twenty-three years later, the LS still carries the flag of what a luxury sedan should be to many.

But Lexus hasn’t been one to rest on its laurels. The competition has learned and implemented many ideas from the LS, and Lexus tries its best to stay one step ahead. The LS has grown from single model to a range of short and long-wheelbase models packing either a gas or hybrid powertrain and a load of new technologies. The new 2013 LS hopes to continue that trend.

Lexus invited me to down to The Townsend Hotel in Birmingham, Michigan to drive the LS 460 F-Sport and 600h L. This happens to be a big deal because an automaker outside of the big three has invited Cheers & Gears; a site was started as a place for GM fans to gather in 2001. Since that time, we’ve expanded the focus and coverage of the site to all automotive brands. Having an automaker that’s not based in the Detroit area, reach out and invite you to a drive event is a big deal.

Previously known for its conservative outward appearance, Lexus chose a more audacious look on the 2013 LS. Up front, the new LS drops the Plain Jane front end styling of the last-generation model. The new model falls in line with other redesigned Lexus models by sporting the new spindle grille with chrome running along the length of it and a set of HID or optional LED headlights. The hood features a slight bulge running along the middle. In the back, Lexus designers took the current LS rear end and tapered it to match the aggressive look of the front.

gallery_10485_479_69260.png

gallery_10485_479_262300.png

The interior has also been given a dramatic change, featuring a design similar to new GS and ES. Materials used throughout the interior include leather seats and dash, five different choices of trim including a new Shimamoku ("striped") wood trim, and soft touch materials. There’s a new instrument cluster with a 5.8-inch full-color TFT multi-function display sitting in the middle. The centerstack has a new 12.3-inch multimedia display sitting on top. The screen is controlled by Lexus’ Remote Touch, a Joystick controller. Using the remote touch system for the short time left me frustrated since it would take me longer to perform a function than using a touchscreen. Some people who have used the system a bit longer say it’s very easy to use once you get the hang of it.

gallery_10485_479_735327.png

Safety-wise, the new LS comes with a new version of the Pre-Collision Safety (A-PCS) system with Collision Avoidance Assist. The system uses cameras and radar mounted on the front end to monitor the road. If the system detects an obstruction on road, whether it is another vehicle or a person, the system will intervene, provide an audible alert to driver, and begin to slow the vehicle down. If the vehicle is traveling under 24 MPH, the system will actually bring the car to a stop. I didn’t get the chance to try the system out for the fear of it not working and having to explain to Lexus why one of their priceless prototypes is sitting on a flatbed tow truck.

Next: Shall we take a drive?

Lexus will offer the LS in the following seven configurations:

• LS 460
  • LS 460 AWD
  • LS 460 L
  • LS 460 L AWD
  • LS 460 F-Sport
  • LS 460 F-Sport AWD
  • LS 600h L (AWD)

First up was the new for this generation LS 460 F-Sport. The LS 460 F-Sport is much like the GS 350 F-Sport that I drove back in May at the MAMA Spring Rally; appearance and suspension changes. The F-Sport gains a mesh grille, nineteen-inch alloy wheels, Torsen limited-slip differential on RWD models (AWD models have a Torsen center differential), sport tuned air suspension with drive mode select, Brembo brakes, bucket seats, aluminum trim, and paddle shifters.

gallery_10485_479_151399.png

Under the hood lies a 4.6L V8 that carries over from the last-generation LS. Power is up from 380 to 386 HP (@ 6400 RPM) while torque remains unchanged at 367 lb-ft (@ 4100 RPM). For the AWD models, the power and torque numbers are 360 HP (@ 6400 RPM) and 347 lb-ft (@ 4100 RPM), respectively, an uptick of 3 HP and 3 lb-ft from previous generation. A smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission seamlessly channels the power to the drive wheels.

Driving in the LS F-Sport was a bit of surprise because of how sporty it felt. Turn the drive mode select to the Sport+ function and the personality of the car changes. The air-suspension firms up and keeps the car planted while the steering is weighted and provides a good response for each input. Even the engine has a bit of growl, thanks to an intake sound generator. When you decide to stop having fun, just turn the knob back to comfort and it’s almost like driving a normal Lexus. The ride is mostly comfortable, with a few bumps making their way into the cabin. I would put the nineteen-inch wheels and the vehicle being a pre-production model as to why those bumps made it in. Wind and Road noise were kept to a minimum.

After returning the F-Sport, it was time to jump into the LS 600h L. The 600h L has been the flagship of the LS lineup since it was first introduced back in 2006. The 600h uses a hybrid system comprised of 5.0L V8 producing 389 HP (@ 6400 RPM) and 385 lb-ft (@ 4000 RPM), a 165 kW electric motor, and a nickel-hydride battery pack. Total output is 438 HP that goes through a CVT down to all four wheels.

gallery_10485_479_437722.png

First climbing into the back seat of the LS 600h L, I was amazed at how much head and legroom there was. Compared to the short-wheelbase LS, the LS600h L’s wheelbase are about five inches longer. This allows Lexus to fill the back seat with many luxuries, including optional rear seats that recline and give you a massage. This is where you want to be sitting if you get the chance to ride in a LS 600h L.

Leaving the back seat to sit in the front, I found the 600h L to be a big, soft luxury car. Lexus’ hybrid system provided enough power and was surprisingly quiet. Transition from electric power to hybrid was very seemless as was the CVT. Steering was what you expected from a big luxury car; light and not that much feel. The 600h L’s ride was very comfortable and quiet.

Pricing for the 2013 LS lineup hasn’t been announced, but most likely the LS lineup would be structured as the base LS models being on the bottom, the F-Sport models in the middle, and the LS 600h L taking the top spot. The new LS will be arriving at dealers beginning sometime in November.

Has Lexus raise the bar of what a luxury car should be with the new LS? Yes, but it is not the game changer as the original LS. Despite this, I predict this new LS will keep the other high end luxury sedan makers on their toes.

Author's Note: Special thanks to Lexus and Toyota’s Midwest PR office for inviting Cheers & Gears out to breakfast and lunch at The Townsend Hotel in Birmingham, Michigan for this event. -WM

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Great Read, nice write up on the auto line. I have to say I think the interior is very bland and weird and the exterior front end scream Predator ugly.

Their car line is just pathetic.I do not see what is so appealing about the Lexus lineup. Considering that most people I know who drive Lexus is very religous and conservative, is it that mind set that keeps this line going even when it is so blah?

I just do not get it, why is Toyota building such a blah product?

One thing I just noticed in reviewing the pictures again, the interior of what I assume is the 600H seems to isolate the 4 individuals from each other. There is no way for people to snuggle in the back or have the spouse slide over to sit next to their mate.

This is one of the sad losses with the Government over site of telling you what you have to have on an auto and all belted up for safety, we have lost that ability to be close to others in our auto's.

One thing I just noticed in reviewing the pictures again, the interior of what I assume is the 600H seems to isolate the 4 individuals from each other. There is no way for people to snuggle in the back or have the spouse slide over to sit next to their mate.

This is one of the sad losses with the Government over site of telling you what you have to have on an auto and all belted up for safety, we have lost that ability to be close to others in our auto's.

That happens to be option package on the long-wheelbase models called the Executive package. From the press release

Executive Package

• 4-zone climate control with air purifier and rear infrared temperature sensor
  • Leather door trim
  • Leather glove box
  • Leather Instrument Panel
  • Power ottoman seat with massage and ottoman knee airbag
  • Rear air conditioning with cool box
  • Rear audio control
  • Rear seat audio controls
  • Rear seat side airbags
  • Rear Seat Entertainment System with rear Blu-ray DVD player, power nine-inch screen and wireless headphones

So you don't have to get it at all.

I don't think the government told Lexus do to that. There is no law against bench seats.

Nope, just very little market demand. I like the look and colors of the interior....that new front end, though...

i sort of like the LS now aside from the weird grille. I do think the LS ES and GS have improved and i sort of really enjoy the new horizontal interiors actually. Would I buy one? No, but at the same time, the LS almost seems nicer to me than a 7 series. The A7 has a bitchen exterior but a predictable interior. I really do think the Lexus cars have improved and while still dull they are not complete snores like they were a few short years ago.

Ugly grille, and all they did in the back was flip the tail lights upside down. Underpowered as well, I think this car is about to get left in the dust by the European big sedans. The Europeans have more fuel economy and more power to offer.

I'd take this over a BMW or a MB. I drove the last generation model. My only real complaint was the overboosted steering, which could be considered appropriate for this class of car. I still haven't warmed up to the spindle grille, though this one appears to be a little more better integrated than some of the others. I like the aggressive treatment of the L-Sport.

I took my IS300 to the dealer this week for service, and it cost less to service than my Silverado, plus the Lexus dealer gives a carwash and a $50,000 loaner Lexus to drive.

This is a very nice luxury car, as intended by Lexus for its audience. I have no issues with this car from a features standpoint and the interior looks very nice. The grill is a chrome version of the Predator. That's not good and too undignified for a Lexus. B+, maybe.

Looks like the same ol same ol styling with a bizarre grille thrown in. it's funny how companies like Lexus and Toyota an keep 85-90% of there styling the same for 10 years and barely any complaints but when GM comes out with a new Malibu or Silverado that are different the critics pan them for being too similar to the outgoing models.

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Toyota Motor North America Reports April 2019 Sales

RAV4 sales up 10.1 percent; a best-ever April Tacoma up 8.3 percent; a best-ever April and the 18th consecutive month of increased sales Corolla Hatchback sales increased 14.2 percent; a best-ever April NXh sales up 13.0 percent; a best-ever April and the 19th consecutive best-ever month PLANO, Texas (May 1, 2019) – Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) today reported April 2019 sales of 183,866 vehicles, a decrease of 4.4 percent on a volume basis and a decrease of 8.2 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis versus April 2018.

Toyota division posted April sales of 162,506 units, down 4.8 percent on a volume basis and down 8.6 percent on a DSR basis.

Lexus division posted April sales of 21,360 vehicles, down 1.3 percent on a volume basis and down 5.3 percent on a DSR basis.

April 2019 Highlights  

Tacoma up 8.3 percent; a best-ever April, with 18 consecutive months of increased sales Toyota light trucks marked a best-ever April, with 102,074 in sales RAV4 sales up of 10.1 percent; a best-ever April Corolla Hatchback sales increased 14.2 percent; a best-ever April Yaris sales up 21.6 percent Mirai sales increased 165.8 percent; a best-ever April LX sales up 4.9 percent ES sales increased by 8.7 percent NXh sales up 13.0 percent; a best-ever April and the 19th consecutive best-ever month RXh sales increased 30.4 percent Lexus Hybrid sales up 60.9 percent  
      Note: Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume

• By Drew Dowdell
      Toyota Motor North America Reports March 2019 Sales
      C-HR sales increased 8.1 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter 4Runner sales up 6.4 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter Tacoma up 12.6 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter NXh sales up 21.2 percent; a best-ever March (18th consecutive) and first quarter PLANO, Texas (April 2, 2019) – Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) today reported March 2019 sales of 214,947 vehicles, an increase of 0.1 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis and a decrease of 3.5 percent on a volume basis versus March 2018.

For the quarter, TMNA reported sales of 543,714 vehicles, a decrease of 3.7 percent on a DSR basis and a 5.0 percent decrease on a volume basis.

Toyota division posted March sales of 185,696 units, down 1.6 percent on a DSR basis and down 5.1 percent on a volume basis. For the quarter, Toyota division reported sales of 476,923 vehicles, down 4.8 percent on a DSR basis and down 6.1 percent on a volume basis.

“Light trucks and SUVs continue to lead the way for our industry, and Toyota’s Tacoma and RAV4 first-quarter sales results are a reflection of the strong consumer appeal of these vehicles,” said Jack Hollis, group vice president and general manager, Toyota division. “Passenger cars, however, remain an important part of Toyota’s portfolio. Earlier in the month, we introduced the all-new Corolla — the world’s best-selling nameplate — now with a hybrid option, which comes on the heels of Prius AWD, Camry TRD and Avalon TRD introductions. While some of our competitors are abandoning sedans, we remain optimistic about the future of the segment.”

Lexus division posted March sales of 29,249 vehicles, up 12.2 percent on a DSR basis and up 8.2 percent on a volume basis. For the quarter, Lexus sales of 66,791 vehicles were up 5.4 percent on a DSR basis and up 4.0 percent on a volume basis.

“Lexus had a solid start to 2019. The launch of the all-new UX was a success in Q1, particularly with the introduction of the UX 250h,” said David Christ, group vice president and general manager, Lexus division. “We are looking forward to continued momentum next quarter with the updated Lexus RC F and limited-edition RC F Track Edition arriving at dealerships this month.”

March 2019 Highlights  
      C-HR sales increased 8.1 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter 4Runner sales up 6.4 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter Tacoma up 12.6 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter; 17 consecutive months of increased sales Light trucks marked a best-ever March, with 114,844 in sales RAV4 posted sales of 33,166 Mirai sales increased 112.0 percent; a best-ever March NXh sales up 21.2 percent; a best-ever March (18th consecutive) and first quarter LX sales up 4.5 percent ES sales increased by 25.0 percent RC sales up 55.7 percent Lexus Hybrid sales up 94.1 percent  
      *Note: Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume

TOYOTA U.S. SALES SUMMARY March 2019
      -- CURRENT MONTH --
      2019                           2018        DSR %       VOL %
      -- CALENDAR YEAR TO DATE --
      2019                        2018        DSR %
      VOL %
      TOTAL TOYOTA
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV
      TOTAL LEXUS
      YARIS SD (INCL YAR IA)
      YARIS LIFTBACK
      TOTAL YARIS
      tC
      COROLLA HB (INCL COR IM)
      COROLLA SEDAN
      TOTAL COROLLA
      SUPRA
      86 (INCL FR-S)
      MIRAI
      AVALON
      PRIUS
      CAMRY
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. CAR
      CT
      IS
      RC
      ES
      GS
      LS
      LC
      LFA
      TOTAL LEXUS CAR
      TOTAL TOYOTA CAR
      SIENNA
      C-HR
      RAV4
      FJ CRUISER
      VENZA
      HIGHLANDER
      4RUNNER
      SEQUOIA
      LAND CRUISER
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. SUV
      TACOMA
      TUNDRA
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. PICKUP
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. TRUCK
      UX
      NX
      RX

TOYOTA U.S. SALES SUMMARY
        March 2019

-- CURRENT MONTH --
      2019                          2018       DSR %
      VOL %
      -- CALENDAR YEAR TO DATE --
      2019               2018      DSR %
      VOL %
      COROLLA
      CAMRY
      AVALON
      YARIS SD (INCL YARIS IA)
      RAV4
      VENZA
      HIGHLANDER
      SIENNA
      SEQUOIA
      TACOMA
      TUNDRA
      ES
      RX
      TOTAL
      N.A VEHICLES % OF TOTAL
      69.6%
      70.4%

70.1%
      70.4%

TOYOTA DIV. IMPORT CAR
      LEXUS IMPORT CAR
      TOYOTA DIV NA BUILT CARS
      LEXUS NA BUILT CARS
      TOTAL TOYOTA CARS
      TOYOTA DIV. IMPORT TRUCK
      LEXUS IMPORT TRUCK
      TOYOTA DIV NA BUILT TRUCK
      LEXUS NA BUILT TRUCK
      TOTAL TOYOTA TRUCK
      Selling Days

TOYOTA U.S. HYBRID SALES SUMMARY March 2019
      -- CURRENT MONTH --                                          -- CALENDAR YEAR TO DATE --
      2019             2018        DSR %                               2019                2018 DSR %
      TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID
      -31.8%
      -45.1%
      TOYOTA COROLLA HYBRID
      0.0%
      0.0%
      TOYOTA CAMRY HYBRID
      27.2%
      21.6%
      TOYOTA AVALON HYBRID
      -8.1%
      -0.1%
      TOYOTA MIRAI
      119.9%
      -23.9%
      TOYOTA HIGHLANDER HYBRID
      -7.3%
      -0.6%
      TOYOTA RAV4 HYBRID
      -77.6%
      -74.6%
      LEXUS ES HYBRID
      125.6%
      121.4%
      LEXUS GS HYBRID
      -100.0%
      -60%
      LEXUS UX HYBRID
      0.0%
      LEXUS NX HYBRID
      25.70%
      36.30%
      LEXUS RX HYBRID
      63.60%
      57.30%
      LEXUS LS HYBRID
      -62.10%
      -50.80%
      LEXUS LC HYBRID
      -68%
      -76.40%
      LEXUS CT HYBRID
      -100%
      -100.0%
      TOTAL TMNA HYBRID
      -12.50%
      -23.80%
      TOTAL TOYOTA HYBRID
      -27.00%
      -37.40%
      TOTAL LEXUS HYBRID
      101.40%
      99.60%

• By Drew Dowdell
      Toyota Motor North America Reports February 2019 Sales
      Tacoma sales increased 10.2 percent; up for the 16th consecutive month Highlander sales up 8.9 percent; a best-ever February Lexus RXh sales up 52.5 percent; a best-ever February Lexus Luxury SUV sales up 7.0 percent; a best-ever February March 01, 2019 February 2019 Sales Chart

PLANO, Texas (March 1, 2019) – Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) today reported February 2019 sales of 172,748 vehicles, a decrease of 5.2 percent from February 2018 on a volume and daily selling rate (DSR) basis.

Toyota division posted February sales of 152,626 units, down 6.3 percent on a volume and DSR basis.

Lexus posted February sales of 20,122 vehicles, up 4.4 percent on a volume and a DSR basis.

February 2019 Highlights   Corolla sales up 16.0 percent Highlander sales increased 8.9 percent; a best-ever February C-HR sales increased 7.3 percent; a best-ever February Tacoma up 10.2 percent; a best-ever February Land Cruiser sales increased 52.5 percent LX sales up 6.8 percent ES sales increased by 23.8 percent in February RC sales up 50.0 percent NXh sales up 39.8 percent; a best-ever February RXh sales up 52.5 percent Lexus Hybrid sales up 112.3 percent Lexus Luxury SUV sales up 7.0 percent; a best-ever February  
      *Note: Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume.
      Toyota_Motor_North_America_Reports_February_2019_Sales_Chart_Final.pdf
    • By William Maley
      Lexus has some has some big plans in store for the F performance sub-brand. Motor1 is reporting that the luxury brand is planning to keep the Track Edition nameplate for some time.
      “The plan right now is to build 60 [RC F] Track Editions...and it’s going to be 40 of the white and 20 of the matte gray [cars for 2020]. It’s [our] intention to have a version of the Track Edition in subsequent [model] years,” said Cooper Ericksen, vice president for product planning and strategy at Lexus.
      It is unclear what Lexus has planned for the future of Track Edition. Ericksen said everything is up in the air ranging from improving the performance to possibly applying the treatment to other models (LC Track Edition anyone?).
      “We’re having fun with the engineers to figure out what [Track Edition] can look like in the future."
      Another item being talked about for F is building a crossover or SUV. Ericken said that a key topic of discussion is whether or not they should focus on doing an on-road version or buck the trend and do an off-road one.
      “[What] we're currently trying to figure out is [if] the on-road performance aspect [is] more important [for Lexus] to invest in than the off-road performance.” 
      Source: Motor1, 2

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Lexus has some has some big plans in store for the F performance sub-brand. Motor1 is reporting that the luxury brand is planning to keep the Track Edition nameplate for some time.
      “The plan right now is to build 60 [RC F] Track Editions...and it’s going to be 40 of the white and 20 of the matte gray [cars for 2020]. It’s [our] intention to have a version of the Track Edition in subsequent [model] years,” said Cooper Ericksen, vice president for product planning and strategy at Lexus.
      It is unclear what Lexus has planned for the future of Track Edition. Ericksen said everything is up in the air ranging from improving the performance to possibly applying the treatment to other models (LC Track Edition anyone?).
      “We’re having fun with the engineers to figure out what [Track Edition] can look like in the future."
      Another item being talked about for F is building a crossover or SUV. Ericken said that a key topic of discussion is whether or not they should focus on doing an on-road version or buck the trend and do an off-road one.
      “[What] we're currently trying to figure out is [if] the on-road performance aspect [is] more important [for Lexus] to invest in than the off-road performance.” 
      Source: Motor1, 2
  • My Clubs

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook