Good news, bad news

• 10 months later...
13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Good news. 

There are many other islands to discover  in and around the Caribbean that may or may not be over saturated with dumb ass tourists.  

The bad news: There's no easy way to fly to the less touristy ones.

@oldshurst442 For me, it has to be Cuba.  I have/had numerous friends from Catholic school whose parents came from Cuba and, not to sound like a jerk, they see themselves as Europeans and Spaniards, with over 60% of Cubans having lineage that came (to Cuba) from Spain's Canary Islands, so they have a good sense of self and are therefore much easier to deal with and get along with.  As an adult, I look back at what my friends' parents went through in leaving Cuba with the shirts on their backs and how, in short order, they had such upbeat personalities and incredible senses of humor here in the U.S.  I want to walk around the places they probably walked around when they lived in Cuba.  I'm talking about friendships that go back to childhood.

The good news:   Summer is 2 months away and it's time to take a trip or two.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Boat rental time to get away from the masses.

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

@oldshurst442 For me, it has to be Cuba.  I have/had numerous friends from Catholic school whose parents came from Cuba and, not to sound like a jerk, they see themselves as Europeans and Spaniards, with over 60% of Cubans having lineage that came (to Cuba) from Spain's Canary Islands, so they have a good sense of self and are therefore much easier to deal with and get along with.  As an adult, I look back at what my friends' parents went through in leaving Cuba with the shirts on their backs and how, in short order, they had such upbeat personalities and incredible senses of humor here in the U.S.  I want to walk around the places they probably walked around when they lived in Cuba.  I'm talking about friendships that go back to childhood.

Bad News Trump just made you a Terrorist for Visiting Cuba.

Good News, They have Social Health Care in Prison. :P 

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I hear you.  I understand.   I did just that when I took my family to Greece this past summer. Yeah, we did the touristic, historic spots. For my kids to see and learn what is their culture and what place does it have in this crazy big world we live in.

But we also did a lot of walking and talking and soul searching and we often took the road of the beaten path, away from the tourists, where the local yokels once did (old donkey trails that even young modern Greeks dont take) to see how Greek villages really function (or used to). We also talked to many local yokels to get their perspective of today's Greece and how they cope in the 2010s. 

I got to see Greece when I was young, how my mom grew up as a kid. I got to see Greece, how Greece was in the 1970s. I got to see how Greek villages functioned for hundreds, maybe thousands of years.  Because when I went to Greece to see where my momma grew up, to meet my grand parents, the island where my mom grew up, her village and the other villages around, and the surrounding islands, well, even in the 1970s, not much had changed since the ancient times.  Modern cars and telephones were there. Not all the people had those though.   It was a cool experience and although I did not realize it then 100% what I was witnessing, although I did have an idea, 'twas in my late 20s that it dawned on me that old European villages in the 1970s was somewhat going back into time. 

And I am proud that my kids, to a degree, got to see a tiny glimpse of that. Maybe not live it like I did, but they saw the remnants of the past. Those donkey trails are not used anymore by anybody so somebody that knows what to look for could see the 1970s, the 1960s, and yes nature has taken over so anything older than that is harder to find, but I saw in the 1970s, the 1950s, 1940s, 1920s, 1890s in those villages...so I know its there and I explained that to my kids. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Good news

No need to fly.

Bad news...

Image result for caribbean cruise

Image result for caribbean cruise

huuuuuge phoquing eyesores that ruin the view...with the same swathes of dumb ass tourists...

Related image

Conclusion: Trump is right. You visit Cuba, you are a terrorist!

So...dont go!

• 2 months later...

Good news.

The Toronto Maple Leafs lost to the Bruins!!!

Bad News:

The Bruins lost to the Blues...

Good News:

I wont have to hear Gloria all that much now...

Bad News:

There is always next year...

Good News:

The Raptors WILL win tonight making another sports franchise win their 1st Champsionship.

Bad News:

Montreal does not have an NBA team...

Nor an MLB team...

And their CFL team does not have an ownership group...

54 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@oldshurst442 What is it about hockey that you find so exciting? I honestly like all the other professional sports I find boring to watch, so what do you find exciting about it to watch?

Instead of me defending my love for hockey...you provide reasons why you find hockey...boring

Because, hockey, for many reasons, is not boring.

I would understand somebody tell me soccer is boring, because that person would not understand that soccer is a chess match and the reason why its a slow paced game is because each opponent is trying surgically to defeat its opponent by strategically find weaknesses.

I would understand somebody tell me baseball is boring because that person would not understand that baseball is a timeless game. Its a pastime.  Its also one of the hardest games to play, but that person probably never played baseball so that person does not get the nuances of the game. Such as its the only game that the team on offense does NOT control the ball and its the defensive team that tries to control the offense produced by the offensive team. Ignoring the fact that an offensive player, being 30% good makes him a superstar offensive player. Trying to hit a small round ball at 90-100 mph with a round bat is one daunting experience...

But I....do NOT understand one person telling me hockey is boring...

Like I said...instead of me defending hockey to you, why dont YOU state your reasons on why you find hockey boring. Because...hockey is not slow paced. Hockey is not passive.  Hockey is explosive in more ways than one... (and those seem like reasons why I love hockey, in reality, these are just general adjectives thrown your way...there are reasons that I could explain to you...in detail... like I did with soccer and baseball on why I LOVE hockey)

I will tell you why I love hockey later...

Edited by oldshurst442

@oldshurst442 Please my friend do not take this wrong as I am not asking you or anyone to defend ones love of sports.

I have played Basket Ball as I am 6'6" tall and found it boring to play. Played soccer and found it boring running around and kicking a ball to others. I found playing Football boring as is baseball which actually put me to sleep standing in the outfield. My parents were surprised by all this. The only sports I love to play is Bowling which I was part of the PBA for many years and body building. The strive to work out the various muscles and perfect them to a tight cut defined look.

I find that most other team members do not put in the same effort and trying to find equal hard working team mates drove me nuts, so I went to an individual sport which was me being responsible for the whole performance and having to accept my failures.

Coworkers have invited me to sporting events and I either fall asleep sitting there or go nuts being bored.

I honestly have never figured out why watching sports bores me and I have no interest. I get that all sports are a form of chess as you plan and strategize your attacks and defensive positions.

I am honestly interested in why some of the members here are so fanatical about loving sports and it seems especially hockey. 

Is it the blood, the violence as I see most sports seem to have gone from being a team sport to all about me with these huge ego over paid sport people and there is no I in team, so I am just honestly interested in trying to understand what others find so fascinating about them.

I hope this helps you understand where I am coming from.

Bad news - I wonder if I will aggravate him? 🤔

Good news - I am talking with a respected friend to better understand him.

I'm a casual sports fan, watch mostly motorsports and football on TV.  I find I generally enjoy sports more in person at an event than on TV.   I used to go to Colorado Avalanche hockey games when I lived in Denver w/ friends, and enjoyed them.  A big part of going to live sporting events I enjoy is the social aspect..friends, beer, hot dogs, popcorn, pretzels, etc.   Same with baseball (Rockies, Diamondbacks, Indians) , basketball (Nuggets, Suns, Cavaliers), and football (Broncos, Cardinals, Browns).. went to a few pro soccer matches in Denver that were fun also..

I do know from my Canadian friends in the US that hockey in Canada is a Big Deal, really the national sport more than others.   I have heard about Hockey Night in Canada (actually watched some) and Don Cherry.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Good news is I hope to join in on a 1 million+ person street party tonight for an hour or so should the Raptors win.. bad news is i will get there around midnight and will surely be woken up by the little one at 6:30am tomorrow for his school and my work day.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, frogger said:

Good news is I hope to join in on a 1 million+ person street party tonight for an hour or so should the Raptors win.. bad news is i will get there around midnight and will surely be woken up by the little one at 6:30am tomorrow for his school and my work day.

Hope they win... tired of seeing the Warriors win..  and the prospect of a team winning their 1st championship is really cool. 

• Agree 2

At the beginning of the year I figured like most the Warriors would win again easily after adding Cousins for peanuts.. a bit surreal to me that they actually might lose and it is the Raptors I've been following since the early painful expansion years who could do it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, frogger said:

Sports are great, aren't they?!? We're celebrating the Blues Cup win here. Congrats to the Raptors! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 6/14/2019 at 11:55 AM, ccap41 said:

Hahaha Same exact situation over here! 

Such a surreal feeling, isn't it??? 

Celebrations are winding down but there is still a lot of energy in the city.  Workers did a pretty good job cleaning up after the 2+ million person parade.  Hopefully Kawhi stays and we can take down the spoiled Lakers next year.

e1corfhhqz431.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
10 minutes ago, knightfan26917 said:

Good news: I am visiting once again.

Bad news: I'm afraid it's only going to be briefly again.

But, I am alive. FWIW.

Cort, pig and cow valves with pacemaker
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"It's coming on Christmas" | Robert Downey Jr | 'River'

Good News - Welcome back @knightfan26917 you are missed

Bad News - Briefly, REALLY???????????  😦

Just now, David said:

Good News - Welcome back @knightfan26917 you are missed

Bad News - Briefly, REALLY???????????  😦

Awe, thank you, David.

Well, look at how long it took me to get back here. May was the last time I visited. Never enough time in the day.

Cort, pig and cow valves with pacemaker
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"My world is changing" | Faith Hill | 'Where Are You Christmas?'

• Agree 1