Who's Responsible For Setting Interior Design Guidelines?

NDL

A recent view of another thread (RE: redesigned shifter on the Caprice PPV), prompted me to write about a pet peeve of mine: why does GM insist on configuring its new cars with the headlight controls on the left hand stalk, while mounting wiper controls on the right hand stalk?

As owners of a 2008 Impala LT, one of the main drawing factors to our car were the driving characteristics of the Impala, plus the familarity of the HVAC, stereo, and wiper controls.

As design configurations become more standardized and generic, so too, do cars become more and more indistinguishable.

I often hear that Ford & GM design their cars for a global market, hence the common designs between markets. Yet this explaination doesn't wash - that Chevy would redesign the shifter for police markets, proves this.

So why the changes in GM design over the past decade?

Why the gross departure from what were GM's design guidelines?

Depends on what you are used to, I guess. I like how Jeeps (and some other Chrysler products I've noticed) have all the lighting functions on the left stalk and the wipers on the right one. Always thought it was weird how GM puts the wiper controls on the turn signal stalk, easy to turn on the wipers when signaling.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Honestly I prefer the two separate stalks as opposed to jamming everything on one. It's all very logical.

On the Prizm the left stalk works as so: Turn the end of the stalk to turn on the lights, pull back to flash, push forward for high beams, up and down for turn signals. The right stalk works as so: push it down for delay, normal, fast, and turn it to set the delay speed.

On the Intrepid it has one stalk to which controls the wipers, turn signals, and high beams. I dislike that to flash is the same direction as turning the high beams on (pulling toward). I'd rather it be toward to flash, away to turn on. The headlight switch is on the dash, which I also wouldn't care for normally, but being that they are automatic its never an annoyance.

The GM stalks like the one on the Colorado are even more annoying because they also cram on the cruise controls.

It all depends on what you're used to, but my preference is two separate stalks and cruise controls on the steering wheel.

Depends on what you are used to, I guess. I like how Jeeps (and some other Chrysler products I've noticed) have all the lighting functions on the left stalk and the wipers on the right one. Always thought it was weird how GM puts the wiper controls on the turn signal stalk, easy to turn on the wipers when signaling.

I guess it's a pet peeve of mine, only because for as long as I can remember, GM put the wiper controls on the left hand stalk.

Same with OHV technology: driving our 2008 Impala and a 2012 Impala back to back, the 2012 was more powerful, but it was also *a lot* thirstier - even on the highway.

The GM stalks like the one on the Colorado are even more annoying because they also cram on the cruise controls.

Maybe I am a little too sentimental, but the Colorado example proves my point: get into a Colorado blindfolded, and you *know* you're in a GM vehicle - on the basis of the cruise controls on the left hand stalk.

Perhaps it's me, but I can't help but feel that automobiles lose their 'uniqueness,' as designs become standardized.

• Agree 1

I've had to live with more GM cars with that annoying "multi-function switch" than I care to mention. I hate the damn thing, sorry. It's an ergonomic mess. ChryCo also used a similar stalk in the Challenger I had and even then I hated it.

I've always felt the best setup I've used was in the XJ Cherokee I had for short period of time; wipers on the right and turn signals on the left. The Astra has this setup, and it would be awesome if the stupid turn signal switch wasn't pumped full of damn Novocaine.

I've had to live with more GM cars with that annoying "multi-function switch" than I care to mention. I hate the damn thing, sorry. It's an ergonomic mess. ChryCo also used a similar stalk in the Challenger I had and even then I hated it.

I've always felt the best setup I've used was in the XJ Cherokee I had for short period of time; wipers on the right and turn signals on the left. The Astra has this setup, and it would be awesome if the stupid turn signal switch wasn't pumped full of damn Novocaine.

Yes, my Grand Cherokee is like that...maybe it's from driving it for over 12 years, but the layout works for me. Lighting on the left, wiping on the right. Every time I'm in a GM rental or driving my sister's DTS I seem to cycle the wipers when signalling at least once..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yes, my Grand Cherokee is like that...maybe it's from driving it for over 12 years, but the layout works for me. Lighting on the left, wiping on the right. Every time I'm in a GM rental or driving my sister's DTS I seem to cycle the wipers when signalling at least once..

It's much more intuitive; when you want to turn on the wipers you can simply reach the stalk from the wheel and move it up or down like you can the turn signals. It also feels much sturdier. You have to take your hands off of the wheel to twist the end of those retarded multi-function stalks to turn the wipers on, and it always feels like you're going to break something off every time you do.

Like you mentioned, you sometimes find yourself setting the wipers to a low delay when signaling too. It's happened to me on a few occasions, and it's always embarassing. So, not only is one of those stupid stalks unsatisfying to use, they can also make an ass out of you.

Now, I can sort of give a pass to pickup trucks with column shifters on this issue, but even that god-awful hellhole that Toyota passes off for an interior in the Tundra will grant you the luxury of seperate stalks with a column shifter. I'm going to keep the jury out on this one.

The suburban
$%28KGrHqNHJEgFButCzFv3BQm0iSKJ%29Q~~60_
Pull toward the wheel for flash, push to the dash for high beams
push in the end button to set cruise, bush over the far left slider in to speed up, out to turn off cruise
turn the wheel for wiper speed and twist the inside half of the stalk for spray. i like that it puts everything on one stalk, but anyone can like what they like.

Edited by CanadianBacon94

The suburban

$%28KGrHqNHJEgFButCzFv3BQm0iSKJ%29Q~~60_

Pull toward the wheel for flash, push to the dash for high beams

push in the end button to set cruise, bush over the far left slider in to speed up, out to turn off cruise

turn the wheel for wiper speed and twist the inside half of the stalk for spray. i like that it puts everything on one stalk, but anyone can like what they like.

I love the single stalk of GM, Moving between all my auto's it is so easy to know where everything is and how everything works.

Each their own, but I would rather have one single stalk to rule them all than two. :P

• Agree 1

Thank you all, for your replies! Looks like the GM camp is divided between designs.

(And don't get me started on the tilt steering wheel versus an adjustable rake wheel :))

I guess my main complaint with GM's new designs have to do with the fact that they don't 'feel' like GM cars - function aside.

I mostly drive my '98 Suburban (one stalk) and Saturn S-Series (2 stalk). I'm not sure I really have a preference, though I wish the Saturns had a couple more intermittent settings (3 intermittent + low + high). I do think they can go overboard on the number of settings, though.

To throw out another design for consideration, how about the wiper control used in the 2nd gen Beretta / Corsica? Blue knob to the right of the instrument cluster:

61816600.jpg

I mostly drive my '98 Suburban (one stalk) and Saturn S-Series (2 stalk). I'm not sure I really have a preference, though I wish the Saturns had a couple more intermittent settings (3 intermittent + low + high). I do think they can go overboard on the number of settings, though.

To throw out another design for consideration, how about the wiper control used in the 2nd gen Beretta / Corsica? Blue knob to the right of the instrument cluster:

At the risk of sounding redundant, the Corsica's design didn't bother me. Credit parts bin technology (?), but the Corsica's interior was instantly recognizable as a GM product: the shifter, brake and accelerator pedals, HVAC, and stereo all screamed "I'm a GM car." Yet today, the interior of many GM products could be at home in a Hyundai. In other words, as designs have been updated, they've become more generic/industry standard in feel.