Jerks Engineered Every Part

C30AD7B9-0605-4DF3-944C-974086EFDD47-150

Yeah, screw teasers. Here's the whole Jeep.

BC32D0EA-E90C-4993-8B90-F6E2227C4F37-150

Here's the shakedown:

• This is a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with four-wheel drive (no, it doesn't smell like a steak and it can't seat thirty-five). It's green. Some of the clearcoat has faded and some of the paint is oxidized. It has the good old 4.0L AMC inline six with 190 horses since this was the first year for the Chrysler-sourced fuel system (thank GOD it isn't a Renix-equipped XJ). It has 216,000 miles, so it's just finally broken in.
  • I found this Heep on Craigslist for a whopping $850. Someone pawned it off, and judging from the massive stack of papers that I found in the horrifically disgusting glovebox, I'd say that someone was in a big bind for money. After paying for a title only transfer and a tow home (yeah, don't say it; the seller refused to look the other way and let me drive it home), the total cost went up to a healthy $920 bucks. Not bad considering I was close to buying a two-wheel drive '88 Comanche in about the same shape with the boring old 2.5L four-banger for $2,000.
  • Yes, it has rust, but nothing out of the ordinary for a 22 year old Heep. It needs two small areas on both rockers patched, the lower rear quarters patched up, and two holes patched in the rear floorboards. Aside from a brused passenger-side door and fender, it's straight as an arrow.
  • It runs and drives strong. It just needed a new battery and, as it just so happens, I had the nice Duralast I bought for my previous XJ project/beater/heartache sitting around. It doesn't smoke, it doesn't run hot or use coolant, and the oil wasn't milky when I checked it out. The exhaust is crap, however, and the oil fill cap isn't the correct one, so it's a little leaky.
  • The interior is disgusting, the headliner is trash, and the driver's side seat frame has rusted apart. The good old GM Saginaw steering column also flops around at the tilting joint like Michael J. Fox (I think two bolts down in the column have worked loose; no big deal). On the bright side, the old AMC-era stereo works and would bring in clear reception if the factory power antenna wasn't broken. All of the power options work aside from the left-side passenger window and door lock. The fuel gauge even reads steady.

So what's the plan? Fix the steering column, the seat, and drive it. Then start building the Cherokee I've always wanted.

Just empty every pocket, indeed.

Also, just thought I'd share that when the '97 and up Cherokee front clip and doors go on, I'm keeping those chrome door handles. I wanted them on the last XJ I had and now I have them without having to look for them. It should tie in nice with the factory green paint once there's a fresh coat on it, the chrome front grille, and the chrome Soft 8s.

Ooops. Shared a little too much. :AH-HA:

Simple. I had the extra cash and I wanted a beater, and I have the hots for XJ Cherokees. I've also had a dream build sheet typed up for one since my last XJ.

Give me a little time. This will be a nice XJ by the time I'm done.

Remember that thread about the Saabaru from about this time last month?

Edited by black-knight

Congrats! I'm glad you were able to find yourself a "toy" that you've always wanted while you have a safe & reliable daily driver to use for all other times.

I hope to be posting my own good news soon too ;)

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I like the Jeep 2500's headlights, but the grille ... Meh. There is a guy in state selling the parts needed to convert it for $400, although the '97 and up front clip would cost about half of that. Also, most of the front fenders you wind up with for a 2500 swap seem to be made of cheap metal, almost pot metal.

Either way, I'll be using the Jeep 2500 taillights. The older hatch does look better (not to mention it isn't worth the work to swap it out to the '97 and up one) and the 2500 lights are pretty much a direct swap.

Congrats! I'm glad you were able to find yourself a "toy" that you've always wanted while you have a safe & reliable daily driver to use for all other times.

I hope to be posting my own good news soon too ;)

Thanks, GMTG74. I'm thrilled to actually have a project vehicle for once that can be driven (with a little work) while I'm upgrading it. I'm also glad it was well under budget. A half way decent XJ like similar to what I've just bought typically costs almost double what I paid. In fact, there was someone who showed up to look at my Jeep just minutes after I rolled in.

I don't mind the AMC-era front clip, but the Chrysler-era one looks cleaner and more modern. What I do hope to retain in the swap is the "classy" feeling of the older XJs like mine, which I think is doable.

Yeah, speaking of "hmmm," I'm wondering now if I want to go back with the factory green (sans two-tone) or paint it Tungsten Metallic to match the Charger ...

E07A2CCE-3C3B-4C55-9612-BDCC9FD72961-286

If you were wondering, I'm still waiting to get the time to do a comprehensive detail job and a good photoshoot for the Charger.

Yes, it's okay to laugh at the horrible front driver's side tire on the Cherokee.

Edited by black-knight

Factory green. With black Soft 8's, and the newer front end, which won't have chrome on it anyway. And keep the chrome door handles, they look good. It will look great, good luck on following through on this one, srsly.

Factory green. With black Soft 8's, and the newer front end, which won't have chrome on it anyway. And keep the chrome door handles, they look good. It will look great, good luck on following through on this one, srsly.

Keeping the Jeep the factory color would save me a cool chunk of dough. That's probably what I'll wind up doing, anyway.

Actually, ocn, I'm going to use a Cherokee Limited front grille when I swap front clip out:

jeep_cherokee_XJ-limited.jpg

I'm also going to throw in a set of these headlights to further clean up the front end and get rid of the old sealed beam lights.

Edited by black-knight

I'm not crazy about the LEDs, but I'm set on that particular design because it's the only "modern" option (since the lower indicators and headlights are flush and part of the same housing) you have out there for an XJ, other than hacking up your header panel to fit a set of Commander headlights. Those aftermarket headlights I linked to also come in black, and I'm thinking that going that route and attempting to paint the supplied surrounds chrome to match the grille might be my best bet. The tackiness factor does go down a notch if the internal surrounds aren't chrome.

Edited by black-knight

Been there done that..didn't know that was an XJ problem also..was definitely a WJ problem. Though w/ the WJ it's bottom of the seat frame that breaks where the tracks are welded on.

R

This is the real cause of "death wobble" in a Heep:

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Been there done that..didn't know that was an XJ problem also..was definitely a WJ problem. Though w/ the WJ it's bottom of the seat frame that breaks where the tracks are welded on.

Yeah, it's mainly a problem with older XJs like mine. You can blame that entirely on the stupid wing vent windows. When the seals go bad or are deformed, they're only good for throwing water in the floorboards. This is the main reason why I will be swapping out the front doors for a newer set.

I have to keep my fingers crossed the PB Blaster I bought will work and the stupid bolts come off of the studs.

you can basically order an entire vehicle of these from catalog...

Yeah, it's pretty cheap to restore and build one of these. For example, two new rocker panels only run $50 bucks each. You can still pick up most of whatever you need out of your local junkyard as well.

This is turning into more of a build thread now.

52544563-31BD-4844-9AC7-1DF816B5D861-533

I'll also make a note here that I found a hoard of dead maggots in the carpet. So, yeah. This Jeep is getting vinyl seats and floor in the near future.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the rusty bolts on the passenger side seat? I've already tried PB Blaster and a damn breaker bar to no result. While it would be funny, please, don't suggest using a torch on them with the carpet still in the Jeep.

Just don't let the unibody rip.

It's uniframe. The XJ is partially French, so it has to be weird different.

I've put restarting the teardown process off until Saturday. In the meantime, I couldn't help myself; I had to pick these up.

45115CAC-2F47-48B7-8C4E-417813693849-650

189F6C88-E107-459B-9193-0DD8C3D6D43C-650

I have to swap out my rear driver's side door (it has some rust that they didn't show me), but I do have four doors for the Heep now with crank windows and manual locks, all for about the same price as buying new seals and weatherstripping for the old POS doors! Best of all, the seals are still in excellent shape on the new doors and I also kill off the crappy wing windows in the process.

After the doors are on (and the strikers are relocated/updated), it's on to the front clip, sending it out for a little rust repair, and then paint. If everything goes right, even on my modest budget, the first phase of this little project should be finished by Fall. Let me say that -- fingers crossed -- this has been the smoothest project I've had yet, and I'm still very pleased with it.

There's more where this came from in the pipeline. Stay tuned.

Edited by black-knight

Remember on the previous page how GMTG74 liked the my XJ's more "squared-off" front-clip versus the softer one found on the newer models? You know, I think I just found the best of both worlds.

ScreenShot2013-05-16at121037AM.jpg

I ran into the following video on YouTube ...

... And noticed the owner of that particular Cherokee blended the newer header panel into the older fenders. I absolutely love the end result here. It's fantastic. I think some sanding on the newer header panel might be all it should take for this mod to turn out right.

I also pulled up the driver's side carpet today. Yes, I have a little swiss cheese under there.

• 2 weeks later...

I heartily approve of the XJ project.

Mrs. Neon and I came up behind one at a traffic signal yesterday. Unbidden, she asked, "whatever happened to those?".

Whatever, indeed...

Ignor the lows blows and Build that Dream 4x4. Build it and you will Drive to amazing places! :P

My comment wasn't a "low blow". I was guessing that he got him some powah!!

GMCGUY74 I never took your comments as a low blow, I was more thinking the trade it in for the 4th gen Camaro or Accord as a low blow. :P

Ignor the lows blows and Build that Dream 4x4. Build it and you will Drive to amazing places! :P

GMCGUY74 I never took your comments as a low blow, I was more thinking the trade it in for the 4th gen Camaro or Accord as a low blow. :P

Don't worry, I wasn't being serious in my reply to you :cheers: I was just having some fun trying to guess what black-knight-was doing.

J/K...was referring back to past BK threads...