Your Ideal Vehicle

I've kinda sorta kept up with the new car market and sadly, I'm seeing nary a thing that appeals to me. Everything seems to have gotten fat, heavy and grotesque-looking. Another symptom of my old-guyness, I suppose.

Anyhoo, this has made me think about what an ideal vehicle would be for my weird tastes. Here's what I came up with:

Something on the order of the original Caravan/Voyager in a (compact) external footprint AND internal dimensions--including height and seating position (the Mazda 5 was heralded as the successor to the original Mopar minivans, but it really wasn't--didn't have the height to stash taller items in the back for one thing, and the seating position wasn't much higher than a Mazda 3). I'd also like the vehicle to be about the same weight as the first-gen minivans, around 3000-lbs. Yeah, I know with all of the impact protection and other crap, this ain't conceivable, but still, I don't want a lard-ass vehicle.

I'd be fine with front wheel drive, and with 3000-lbs to yank around, I'd like the vehicle to be powered by a large displacement, low-stress 4-cylinder that has huge gobs of torque. Or better yet, a moderate-sized V6, similarly low-stressed and torquey--something along the lines of Chrysler's 3.3L minivan V6 or GM's 3800, but tuned for even more low-end grunt. Have the final drive gearing in top gear be REALLY tall for very low RPM cruising at highway speed--something on the order of 1800 RPM at 70 MPH, f'rinstance. This would be doable with the light curb weight and reasonable aerodynamics, I'd think. Maybe you'd need a 5-speed auto tranny to acheive this, maybe you wouldn't. I always wished that Mopar had gone with an OD version of their old Torqueflite, rather than developing that A604/41TE box o' turds that they came up with instead.

Anyhoo, that's a start...what about you?

My ideal vehicle would be a lot like the 300/Charger twins in a Buick-like luxury package . . . sort of, with a few improvements in NVH. Crossovers are nice but do nothing for me.

The trend away from torquey V6 to weak on torque V6 is rather sad if not pathetic. I guess I am spoiled by the Buick 231 (aka the 3800) for its torque, not horsepower. I have owned at least three cars in my lifetime with that 231 engine, and it is still a great engine in my 99 PA Ultra. Today's GM DOHC V6s feel more like something Honda would make these days, nice HP but lacking in grunt. No, the Chevy SS is NOT enough. Nothing against the truck engines (even the new Vette engine for 2014), but when will there be a V6 derivative that belongs in a car?

As much as I hate to admit this, the crossover and the long-term trend towards higher MPG lead to torque-weakish V6s and fuel-sipping four cylinder vehicles. It is as if Japan Inc. has won the (popular) engine wars from the 70s without even firing a shot.

Yeah, I hear you Riviera74. I completely agree.

When I'm thinking of this "ideal vehicle", it's something I'd be living with day in, day out. My primary vehicle. I'd want a really comfy interior (kinda like the Mopar minis had), as well as a nice suspension that allowed decent load-capacity while not punishing passengers.

I'd still want an old car of some sort for fun, probably a 1950s or '60s beast.

Another possibility for me would be:

1. Take a circa-1980 AMC Concord D/L or Limited wagon (curb weight in the 3100-lbs range).

2. Cut it crosswise just behind the front seat and splice in 2 inches between the front & back seats for more rear seat legroom.

3. Take an AMC/Jeep 4.0L inline six and toss in the crank & rods from a 258 six. The resulting "stroker" displacement is something like 4.7L.

4. Again, use an almost ridiculously high overall top gear ratio to allow the engine to loaf along at interstate speeds.

And in either of my "ideal" car scenarios above, don't have any touch screen infotainment systems or other shenanigans clogging up the electrical system. Use the KISS principle (coz I'm nothin' if not simple) and rely on some basic, sound engineering.

Edited by NeonLX

You'd think I'd be all over the 300C--comfy, powerful and RWD (or is it now only AWD?)...but something about it leaves me cold. The current edition looks far better than the original, but it's still kind of awkward-looking to me. Just can't get the proportions to work out right in my ancient perceptual system.

Still RWD. I hated the first version, especially the interior.. even though I'm looking at Dodge Magnums now... I'd have keep a flask in the door and do a shot every time I went somewhere just to get over that interior.

The new ones, I love the proportions, especially from the rear. The interior is much better than the first, but it is way behind where Cadillac or even Buick is today. The current one could be livable for me.

• Agree 1

Give me the clear line of sight of my 94 GMC Subububan with a modern small block V8 Diesel or better yet CNG, around 300HP, 450lbs of torque, update the dash to have a modern NAV, Stereo and better interior materials, but keep the 2nd row bench fold flat into the floor and removable 3rd seat but in split style for lite removal and the final piece would be AWD.

I would be happy to have this for road trips, driving up the mountain for skiing and camping and general hauling of trailers/toys.

Course I am going to build my own, so I will end up with it one way or another. :D

A large coupe or convertible, the Mercedes CL is close in concept, but something more pedestrian and reasonably priced The Lincoln MK9 concept came close to what I'm thinking of here. Failing that, a proper big american luxury sedan with world class fit and finish and the right styling proportions (level of detail and proportions of a Ciel sedan).

cadillaccielsedan.jpg

Just build the damn thing.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider