Chevrolet News:More In Store For The Chevrolet Colorado

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 26, 2013

The marketplace for small and midsize pickups is beginning to get exciting once again with the introduction of the Chevrolet Colorado. Automotive News reports that it could be getting more exciting in the coming future.

One thing that dealers have been clamoring for the new Colorado is an off-road version, something akin to the S-10 ZR2 package which offered higher ground clearance, stronger shocks, beefier axles and other enhancements.

"The dealers already have been asking for an off-road model. We're considering it," said Jeff Luke, General Motors' chief engineer for trucks.

GM North America President Mark Reuss echoes Luke's comment by saying that an off-road variant "absolutely" is on the table.

"I think there's all kinds of opportunity for accessorization and powertrain variants in a platform like this. There's a lot of things you can do here that you can't do in a full-sized truck," said Reuss.

In addition, the Colorado will be available with manual transmission. Automotive News says the option will be available for the extended-cab, two-wheel-drive WT trim level only.

"I'm making a bet on this. If you look at the past data, it's probably not a financially sound decision. But we're creating something here that hasn't been created before. So we're going to take some risks," said Reuss.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

GM Hello, you had the Chevy Luv Truck with gas or Diesel that had a 5 speed manual in the 70's. I know as I owned a 1976 Chevy Luv Series 5 that was awesome. Nothing new here, just deliver what the public wants at a quality level higher than everyone else.

If they think about that Chevy might blow a head gasket, GMC could do it and bring back the Syclone. That was one Sick Twin Turbo Truck. I am sure the new TT V6 would go into a nice new Keg totting crewcab truck for GMC. :D

• Agree 1

If they think about that Chevy might blow a head gasket, GMC could do it and bring back the Syclone. That was one Sick Twin Turbo Truck. I am sure the new TT V6 would go into a nice new Keg totting crewcab truck for GMC. :D

A new Syclone would be awesome! I could see the RWD LT1 powered Colorado SS and the twin turbo V6 AWD GMC Syclone having two unique market and priceing positions as sport trucks! The Chevy could start out as a regular cab stripper model and go up from there with the GMC being a more premium offering!

GM Hello, you had the Chevy Luv Truck with gas or Diesel that had a 5 speed manual in the 70's. I know as I owned a 1976 Chevy Luv Series 5 that was awesome. Nothing new here, just deliver what the public wants at a quality level higher than everyone else.

They should take the notion one step further and give US buyers the Chevy Sex Truck... Old fashion Luv don't cut it anymore... :smilewide:

Seriously, now: other than the Holden Ute, GM doesn't have anything that would work in the US. The Brazilian Chevy Montana is too small for the average US tastes.

• 4 months later...

An Amarok regular cab is a dreamboat though. With 4WD, a TDi, six speed manual, and knobby tires, it would rule my world. It still seems ridiculous to me that GM will not sell a regular cab midsize truck here in America. First and foremost for fleets, then, since it exists, sell it to individuals in all trim levels. In a heartbeat I would be certain I would own a reg cab Z71... but having not seen prices, and knowing how grossly inflated Silverado prices are, I am concerned that an extended cab Z71 Colorado will cost $35k... too rich for my blood.

An Amarok regular cab is a dreamboat though. With 4WD, a TDi, six speed manual, and knobby tires, it would rule my world. It still seems ridiculous to me that GM will not sell a regular cab midsize truck here in America. First and foremost for fleets, then, since it exists, sell it to individuals in all trim levels. In a heartbeat I would be certain I would own a reg cab Z71... but having not seen prices, and knowing how grossly inflated Silverado prices are, I am concerned that an extended cab Z71 Colorado will cost $35k... too rich for my blood.

Or you invest in buying it even if it is 35K and hold onto it and enjoy it for 5+ years. You will get your money back out of a truck with the Baby Duramax Diesel.