411 on a Saab 9-1

411 on a Saab 9-1

Posted Image

With the 9-2X out of the picture after this model year, Saab is starting work on its replacement. The new car is called the 9-1 and is to be based off of the Delta platform which will underpin Saturn's Ion replacement. The 9-1 is set to be available in early 2009 and use design cues from the Aero-X Concept.

Read "Future Saab 9-1: New A3 Fighter Rumored in the Pipeline" @ Edmunds

Stupid idea. They should be putting the money into the ION replacement and NG Cobalt. Saturn NEEDS a small car, and the Cobalt needs improvements. Why not spend the money to sell 200k cars (I would guess 150k Saturns + an extra 50k Cobalts with the improvemetnts) rather than the money on something that's going to sell like 30k units?

Again, I have to ask: Why is Saab getting so much product? They haven't even proven that they can sell over 40k units a year consistently, yet we're hearing that they're getting this 9-1, a Kappa, 9-3, 9-5, and TE vehicle all within 3 years? If Pontiac got this much investment, it could be selling 400k vehicles a year with limited fleet.

Why is it GM complains that it can't supply Pontiac and Buick with product, yet it can give Saab so much product, and Saab hasn't done crap since GM bought them?

Stupid idea. They should be putting the money into the ION replacement and NG Cobalt. Saturn NEEDS a small car, and the Cobalt needs improvements. Why not spend the money to sell 200k cars (I would guess 150k Saturns + an extra 50k Cobalts with the improvemetnts) rather than the money on something that's going to sell like 30k units?

Again, I have to ask: Why is Saab getting so much product? They haven't even proven that they can sell over 40k units a year consistently, yet we're hearing that they're getting this 9-1, a Kappa, 9-3, 9-5, and TE vehicle all within 3 years? If Pontiac got this much investment, it could be selling 400k vehicles a year with limited fleet.

Why is it GM complains that it can't supply Pontiac and Buick with product, yet it can give Saab so much product, and Saab hasn't done crap since GM bought them?

Well the 9-5 has been due for a replacement for ages, and the 9-3 is getting to that point too. As for the other stuff...I dunno

SAAB is limited by its very nature. Make it too univerally-appealing, it gets panned by enthusiasts and no one cares anymore. Make to too quirky, and no one but the diehards buy it.

And for those those that say, "What about Volvo?", just because they're both Sweedish doesn't mean jack. Volvo sold on boring and safe; SAAB sells on fetish. Look at the last Sonnetts, I mean, Jesus. Buying one of them is true love of brand.

If badging an Impreza as a 9-2x turned out to be a bad idea.... what Savant thought badging a Cobalt as a 9-1 was a good idea?

seriously, didn't they learn their lesson with the original J-bodies?

I have a better name then 9-1.

Cimmeron by Saab

Guys...

I know you're really smarter than this. Read what Edmunds wrote again, particularly regarding the next-gen ION. Now...you have to ask yourself what Edmunds actually received as legit info and what they pulled out of their asses: that the SAAB will be on the same platform as the ION replacement, or that the SAAB will be on Delta.

There is NO problem in my mind of one platform spawning 3 vehicles:

Cobalt

ION/Astra

9-1

Does anyone forsee a Pontiac variant with the redesign? I don't. GM certainly seems reluctant to give Pontiac any more FWD compacts...

Edited by Croc

SAAB is limited by its very nature. Make it too univerally-appealing, it gets panned by enthusiasts and no one cares anymore. Make to too quirky, and no one but the diehards buy it.

And for those those that say, "What about Volvo?", just because they're both Sweedish doesn't mean jack. Volvo sold on boring and safe; SAAB sells on fetish. Look at the last Sonnetts, I mean, Jesus. Buying one of them is true love of brand.

What?

Posted Image

But that's not what got Volvo where it is today. The majority of Volvos cars that got them to their current spot were not flashy at all.

The radical S60, S40, V50, and XC90 are what got Volvo to their current popularity. They're less about safety now, and more about progressive Scandinavian design and cool autoshow booths. They strive on being the anti-BMW. Saab can do all that.

I really now regret making that Delta Saab chop. I didn't know it would give them ideas.

I don't think they need one that urgent, unless a redesigned 9-3 will be significantly larger. The current 9-3 is very similar in size to a Cobalt, despite being on a heavily modified Epsilon.

But if they are really to do it, I hope it's hatchback only. At least it'll have more differentiation from the Delta siblings, and true to Saab heritage. Didn't really like the idea of dropping the 3-door and 5-door.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Delta is dead. There will be no more Deltas. Not for Saturn, not for Chevrolet, Not for Saab. The Delta quip is a red herring. There will probably be a compact Saab based on the new Global Compact architecture, just as there is an A3 base same platform as the Golf, a C30 on the same platform as the Focus, and an Alfa on the same platform as the Fiat Stilo replacement. I doubt it or anything else, will be called the 9-1.

This is good news (if true, consider the source), and a good idea. Whether it's called Delta or global small platform, Saab will be able to use this car. I think it'd be light years away from being a "Saab Cobalt." That's BS. The next Astra's sure to be on the money, and by default, the next ION (Evoque?). If Saab takes the platform and makes it's own car out of it, and goes after the A3,C30, etc., then I say go for it. The next 9-3 will sure grow a bit, as will the next 9-5. Throw in the rumored upcoming crossover and the Aero X for a halo, and you've got an attractive brand.

To me, SAAB will always mean 99/900 3 door hatch, in black with saddle leather, with a ski rack and 300k miles, being driven blissfully by a chiseled young granola cruncher from Vermont who shall remain nameless because I just made him up in my head, but you guys get the drift. That's what made SAAB an icon, and that's what they need to get back to... it's like Fly says in his rant about American cars down in the lounge. BE YOURSELF, PEOPLE!

A new 9-1 based on whatever FWD chassis that's appropriate should evoke the 99/900, it's as simple as that, because the 99/900 broke through and became the definition of the brand.

• 1 month later...

If badging an Impreza as a 9-2x turned out to be a bad idea.... what Savant thought badging a Cobalt as a 9-1 was a good idea?

seriously, didn't they learn their lesson with the original J-bodies?

I have a better name then 9-1.

Cimmeron by Saab

Saab-rolet