Sign in to follow this  
sciguy_0504

300 vs Lucerne vs Montego

I just received the most recent edition of Motor Trend and they tested the big 3 large V6 American sedans (no Avalon or Azera).

1: Chrysler 300

2: Buick Lucerne

3: Mercury Montego

I figured they would rate the Montego higher based on what the article said. Apparently, the Montego had the nicest interior of the bunch and handled well, too. It even beat the Lucerne to 60MPH and it had AWD.

The 300 ended up being the most well rounded of the bunch.

Its about time they compared American Cars for once. Detiot gets no PR from autorags unless they trash them.

Anybody think the Montego should get a V-8? I think with AWD a 4.6L 300hp V-8 would work well until the next-gen Montego arrives three years.

The Lucerne needs to get a 3.6L 270hp V-6 when the Merc gets a 3.5L 267hp V-6

I'll have to read it... It's about time something like this was done. I swear it appeared to me that all comparisons forgot the Montego existed.

I swear it appeared to me that all comparisons forgot the Montego existed.

I did.

I did.

lol

--

FYI they did do a test, I think it was Car and Driver, with the 300C, Pontiac Bonneville GXP and the Crown Vic, when the 300 first came out. Granted this is a better comparison.

Edited by Dodgefan

Anyone think these no-reason-for-it segregated tests only promote the subconscious opinion that domestic product "can't compete" with foreign models?

I do.

Anyone think these no-reason-for-it segregated tests only promote the subconscious opinion that domestic product "can't compete" with foreign models?

I do.

Yeah except that the 300 is domestic. Of course you'll shoot back with "well it's got an E-Class platform" to which I will retalliate: "The LX platformis simply based on the E-Class, it's not a carbon copy, Besides, look how many Ford products use Mazda and Volvo architectures...like the Montego. The Lucerne is all American sure, but it's on an OLD all American platform. ANd GM uses plenty of imported parts for their American cars. So :P

Edited by Dodgefan

Dodgefan, I think balthy was referring to the fact it was 3 domestics... no imports, in the comparison. Like it's necessary to separate them to be fair to the domestics.

I really think the comparison was for the domestic-intending customer. There are still people out there who wouldn't consider an imported car. I think that was the intended purpose of this article.

Dodgefan, I think balthy was referring to the fact it was 3 domestics... no imports, in the comparison.  Like it's necessary to separate them to be fair to the domestics.

I really think the comparison was for the domestic-intending customer.  There are still people out there who wouldn't consider an imported car.  I think that was the intended purpose of this article.

Oh ok, my bad balthazar. Well anyway, the 300's been tested against Imports before and usually comes out at or near the top.

Edited by Dodgefan

lol

--

FYI they did do a test, I think it was Car and Driver, with the 300C, Pontiac Bonneville GXP and the Crown Vic, when the 300 first came out. Granted this is a better comparison.

Oh yeah. The Crown Vic LX Sport. What a joke that car is.

Oh yeah. The Crown Vic LX Sport. What a joke that car is.

what a joke the Crwon vic still is. Wonder if anyone outside of fleets, taxis and police buy them anymore?

well, the lucerne is heavier than the merc. so the 3.5 v 6 would probably perform better in montegos AWD configuration. i just wish they'd fix the exterior! ugly. you couldn't put the azera in this anyway because it is not a big car, it's just the biggest korean car available here in the states.

here is a couple of Q's. what would the lucerne do in sales and performance if it was E85 and how is DCX going to top the 300 when its time for a re-skin?

well, the lucerne is heavier than the merc. so the 3.5 v 6 would probably perform better in montegos AWD configuration. i just wish they'd fix the exterior! ugly. you couldn't put the azera in this anyway because it is not a big car, it's just the biggest korean car available here in the states.

here is a couple of Q's. what would the lucerne do in sales and performance if it was E85 and how is DCX going to top the 300 when its time for a re-skin?

it's not a merc, the platform may be based one the e-class, but it was thoroughly modified by Chrysler. I'm sure they're come up with a good redesigned, unlike most of ford and gm (i said most not all), they have talent on their side :P

What model 300 did they test? How slow to 60 was the Lucerne dare I ask?

I'm gonna guess the Touring was tested.

The Crown Vic LX Sport is no joke. I was in Manhattan today, and took a cab (with my wife and kids) from 53rd and Seventh down to Little Italy. I sat in the front - it was obviously a new Vic, with leather interior. The cabbie, once he got past Times Square, simply floored it - wove in and out and around down to Canal at a breakneck pace, just slamming that Vicky in and out at speed. Great phuckin' ride! (I was laughing, but the crew in the back seat were scared $h!e -less. They insisted we take the subway back uptown).

Damn right I'd buy a Crown Vic LX Sport. Black -there ain't no other way. It's not for everybody, but it's the throwback with blowback!

Gosh the Lucerne could only manage 8.8 seconds to 60. I was hoping for at least Buick's 8.4 second quote. The crew in charge of equipping the Lucerne with this powertrain should be tied to a tree and bitch slapped for hours. Granted the base 3800 engine is fine for the elderly motorists on base CX models who don't care about performance. But for those like me that don't want the expensive pricey models with there poor gas mileage Northstar V8's, the 3.6 should have been mandatory on the heavier CXL V6. And why can't Buick put a suspension that will handle in the lower trim levels? The only Lucerne that should have a soft suspension and bench seats is the base CX. And for all the people that keep defending the old 4 speed automatic, it was interesting to see that the smaller, lower torque 3.0 V6 in the 500 outgunned the bigger torquier 3800 after 50 mph which is where the Buick shifts out of 1st gear into 2nd and loses a ton of steam. The 6 speed automatic would have made this detuned 3800 somewhat competitive and able to keep up with the little 3.0 liter Duratec. Looks like Buick will repeat this mistake even next year for the 07's.

Still, I'd go for the V6 over the V8 (gasp!) because if I wanted some performance, I wouldn't have chosen a Lucerne in the first place. And bear in mind that the Lucerne V8 isn't exactly a hot rod, the fact that three portholes fit better than four, and the price of gas these days.

8.8 seconds isn't that bad, though I'd rather have them ditch both engines entirely, and offer a HF V6 (and six-speed auto) with the power of a Northstar, better fuel economy, and a lower price (compared to the V8).

What model 300 did they test? How slow to 60 was the Lucerne dare I ask?

the montego isn't a merc. since when?

Gosh the Lucerne could only manage 8.8 seconds to 60.

i am curious where the 8.8 second figure comes from.

its a heavy car but the numbert i saw was under 8.

i am curious where the 8.8 second figure comes from.

its a heavy car but the numbert i saw was under 8.

The V8 Lucerne tested by MT for COTY was 7.5secs........

Actually I'm surprised the 195hp 3800 did it in "only" 8.8secs.....I was guessing it was going to be a 9.5sec car.

The V8 Lucerne tested by MT for COTY was 7.5secs........

Actually I'm surprised the 195hp 3800 did it in "only" 8.8secs.....I was guessing it was going to be a 9.5sec car.

Speeds vary from test to test... but 8.8sec is similar to the LeSabre & base Park Avenue's 0-60 time with the 205hp Series II 3800. I didn't expect it to be any different in the Lucerne. They all three weigh about the same.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook