Drew Dowdell

Revealed: Audi Q7: Comments

Early this morning, pictures of the upcoming Audi Q7 leaked out ahead of its scheduled reveal. A few hours later, the official release came from Audi.

The big new for the Q7 is a 716 lb reduction in weight. Starting at 4,398 lbs, Audi's biggest crossover takes the title of lightest in its class. The Q7 achieves this with a multi-material body composed of both aluminum and ultra high strength steel components. Overall, the exterior size is smaller in both length and width, cabin space is larger.

Powertrains for the US will include a 2.0 liter turbocharged 4-cylinder producing 252 hp / 272 lb-ft, a 3.0 liter turbocharged gasoline V6 producing 333 hp and 324 lb-ft, and a 3.0 liter V6 turbo-diesel producing 272 hp and 442 lb-ft of torque. Later, a second detuned version of the 3.0 TDI will be released with a turn towards high mpg efficiency. All engines will be mated to a brand new 8-speed automatic sending power through a revised Quattro all-wheel drive system.

Inside, the Q7 gains a host of new technologies, including optional 10.1" Android tablets built into the car as rear seat monitors. These tablets connect to the MMI navigation system and available on-board LTE Wifi. The tablets have a full HD camera, 32gb of storage, bluetooth and NFC.

The entertainment system features a new smartphone interface. If either an iOS or Android device is connected to the car via USB, the respective system is opened in in the Audi Smartphone interface. (minimum device OS versions are required)

The voice control system now uses natural speech control so drivers are no longer limited to specific commands.

If a customer orders the Tour package, an optional addition to the adaptive cruise control is traffic jam assistant. In this mode, the Q7 will take care of all of the driving at speeds below 37mph and while in heavy congestion.

Q7 sales have been increasing steadily over the last few years with sales up 21% verse this period last year after a 41% increase in 2013, but Audi still has a way to go before catching up to segment leader Mercedes.

You can follow all of the Detroit Auto Show goings on and browse previous years' shows by following our Detroit Auto Show page

Audi Q7 Front
Album: 2016 Audi Q7
8 images
0 comments

Source: Audi Q7 Press Release

Click here to view the article

Really?  I didn't care for the current one much, but I do like this one.

It doesn't look bad by any means... It is just a slightly chunkier Audi wagon with some of the new bits from the TT and Q3. The problem is that Audi has been tweaking the same design for 10 years now. Each new model becomes slightly edgier, adds more LEDs, and starts to look more and more like vanilla. I think the A7 was the last interesting looking Audi to debut. As someone who has always favored Audi, I'm starting to find less and less to like in the looks department. 

• Upvote 1

Really?  I didn't care for the current one much, but I do like this one.

It doesn't look bad by any means... It is just a slightly chunkier Audi wagon with some of the new bits from the TT and Q3. The problem is that Audi has been tweaking the same design for 10 years now. Each new model becomes slightly edgier, adds more LEDs, and starts to look more and more like vanilla. I think the A7 was the last interesting looking Audi to debut. As someone who has always favored Audi, I'm starting to find less and less to like in the looks department.

Yeah, I can see that. For me, the Q7 finally gained enough flair to be interesting to me.

• Has a real 'sucker fish' look up front, ringed with chrome like that.

• Yet another squashed hexagon grille.

• IMO there's nothing either new OR compelling here.

Not even the technology Balth?  The thing will drive itself up to speeds of 37mph.  Fuel economy numbers look to be very good as well, but at the moment they are based on the Euro cycle which is a bit optimistic compared to the US numbers.

• Has a real 'sucker fish' look up front, ringed with chrome like that.

• Yet another squashed hexagon grille.

• IMO there's nothing either new OR compelling here.

Not even the technology Balth?  The thing will drive itself up to speeds of 37mph.  

That's the only new bit I see in the OP. Frankly, that's not something I would have any desire to have, and it alone is not going to turn one more sale IMO. The rest is frequently available already, elsewhere. Even the Q7 has had an 8-spd since '10.

Very very slightly, but no where near to a detriment.

It's just got a busy, line-intensive design that really has no brand ID to it.

IMO, I think despite many internet QBs chiming to the contrary; there's an SUV/CUV glut going on, and none (I would venture to say the Escalade is an exception) really stand out. Audi used to have a very slick design language figured out, but the marketers want constant 'progress', VW shuffles the deck chairs and here; folded & stacks many on top of some others. Somehow, it's both busy and bland. 

This looks boring, and sort of like the Passat and Jetta, when they restyled them they got boring and squared off looking.  As if they wanted to see how safe and forgettable they could make it look.

So this is a Station Wagon on Steroids! First initial look made me think Brick SUV like the original Cherokee, but the more I looked at it, the more it clearly screams to me a station wagon butched up.

Interesting technology, but I hate the interior and the fat center floor console that will eat up leg comfort room for us big guys.

Pass on this.

I wonder how different this will look in person.  I'm seeing more and more wagon as I look at the pictures.  I just caught a glimpse of this out of the corner of my eye on the front page and thought to myself "Oh, did William put up an article about some Subaru Legacy sport wagon that I didn't see yet?!" 

For some reason this one stands out a little more to me. Yes it is a wagon, but it is a little "chunkier" than most. Its like SUV meets wagon. Along with the wifi technology it is offering this vehicle is dynamite.

I can't quite pt my finger on why this looks more "wagon" than say, the Grand Cherokee, but it does. When I see it in person in a couple weeks, I'll update my opinion.

For some reason this one stands out a little more to me. Yes it is a wagon, but it is a little "chunkier" than most. Its like SUV meets wagon. Along with the wifi technology it is offering this vehicle is dynamite.

All of the manufactureres are offering wifi these days, I'm curious to see what the take rate or subscription rate is after the car leaves the trial period.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. rawenerg
      rawenerg
  • Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Full-size family sedans have been on the ropes lately. The Hyundai Azera has been canceled.  There is no planned replacement for the Ford Taurus. The Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 both have uncertain futures.
      Toyota however is about to put a pile of chips on the table with a fully redesigned 2019 Toyota Avalon.  They released a teaser picture ahead of the January 15th release at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. 
      The picture, which only shows the front left corner of the car shows a very expressive look with a broad lower intake and a somewhat Lexus shaped grille.  We expect the new Avalon to ride on a longer variant of the 2018 Toyota Camry platform that was released at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show.  The new Camry platform shaved significant weight over the prior model and that will likely carry over to the new Avalon as well. That should make for some impressive performance numbers as the Avalon is already one of the lightest vehicles in the class.
      We will have more details and on-site reaction for you as we approach the full release of the 2019 Toyota Avalon at the Detroit Auto Show.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Full-size family sedans have been on the ropes lately. The Hyundai Azera has been canceled.  There is no planned replacement for the Ford Taurus. The Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 both have uncertain futures.
      Toyota however is about to put a pile of chips on the table with a fully redesigned 2019 Toyota Avalon.  They released a teaser picture ahead of the January 15th release at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. 
      The picture, which only shows the front left corner of the car shows a very expressive look with a broad lower intake and a somewhat Lexus shaped grille.  We expect the new Avalon to ride on a longer variant of the 2018 Toyota Camry platform that was released at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show.  The new Camry platform shaved significant weight over the prior model and that will likely carry over to the new Avalon as well. That should make for some impressive performance numbers as the Avalon is already one of the lightest vehicles in the class.
      We will have more details and on-site reaction for you as we approach the full release of the 2019 Toyota Avalon at the Detroit Auto Show.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Lexus released teaser images of a concept crossover that will be shown at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.  The crossover was created by the Toyota's CALTY design studio in Newport Beach, California.   The concept, called the Lexus LF-1 Limitless will preview Lexus' interpretation of a flagship luxury crossover, one they claim will redefine the boundaries of luxury.
      We will have more in the Lexus LF-1 Limitless from the show in January.
      Click here follow all Detroit North American International Auto Show News

• By Drew Dowdell
      Lexus released teaser images of a concept crossover that will be shown at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.  The crossover was created by the Toyota's CALTY design studio in Newport Beach, California.   The concept, called the Lexus LF-1 Limitless will preview Lexus' interpretation of a flagship luxury crossover, one they claim will redefine the boundaries of luxury.
      We will have more in the Lexus LF-1 Limitless from the show in January.
      Click here follow all Detroit North American International Auto Show News

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Audi of America marks November sales increase as the new Q5, new-to-the U.S. A5 Sportback and Q7 lead consumer demand
      Q7 sales rose 26 percent; Q5 increased sales by 31 percent Sales of the new A5 Sportback totaled 1,130 SUV sales increased 23 percent HERNDON, Virginia, December 1, 2017 – Audi of America reported a November sales increase of 12 percent to 19,195 deliveries, as the Q7, new Q5 and the new-to-the U.S. A5 Sportback, lead consumer demand.
      November was the 83rd straight record sales month for Audi of America. The previous November record was set last year with 17,118 deliveries. Audi has now sold 199,534 vehicles in the U.S. this year. Year-to-date, Audi sales have increased 6.7 percent.
      "Positive consumer response to the Q7, new Q5 and new-to-the U.S. A5 Sportback shows that Audi's award-winning engineering and technology can succeed in a highly competitive market," said Cian O'Brien, chief operating officer, Audi of America. "Encouraged by robust consumer demand and our annual Season of Audi Sales event, we're positioned for a strong finish to 2017."
      Consumer demand for the new Q5 and Q7 helped drive November's sales increase.  Deliveries of the Q5 were up 31 percent to 5,467. The Q7 deliveries increased to 3,292, and have now increased 23 percent year-to-date. SUV sales for Audi increased 23 percent to 10,351.
      The addition of the A5 Sportback to the A5 Cabriolet and Coupe lineup has brought total sales to 2,243 over last November. Sales of the A5 Cabriolet and Coupe more than doubled to 1,113.
      AUDI US SNAPSHOT
      --MTD--
      --YTD--
      Model Line
      Nov '17 Actual
      Nov '16 Actual
      Yr/Yr % change
      Nov '17 YTD  Actual
      Nov '16 YTD Actual
      Yr/Yr % change
      A3
      -20.0%