Early this morning, pictures of the upcoming Audi Q7 leaked out ahead of its scheduled reveal. A few hours later, the official release came from Audi.

The big new for the Q7 is a 716 lb reduction in weight. Starting at 4,398 lbs, Audi's biggest crossover takes the title of lightest in its class. The Q7 achieves this with a multi-material body composed of both aluminum and ultra high strength steel components. Overall, the exterior size is smaller in both length and width, cabin space is larger.

Powertrains for the US will include a 2.0 liter turbocharged 4-cylinder producing 252 hp / 272 lb-ft, a 3.0 liter turbocharged gasoline V6 producing 333 hp and 324 lb-ft, and a 3.0 liter V6 turbo-diesel producing 272 hp and 442 lb-ft of torque. Later, a second detuned version of the 3.0 TDI will be released with a turn towards high mpg efficiency. All engines will be mated to a brand new 8-speed automatic sending power through a revised Quattro all-wheel drive system.

Inside, the Q7 gains a host of new technologies, including optional 10.1" Android tablets built into the car as rear seat monitors. These tablets connect to the MMI navigation system and available on-board LTE Wifi. The tablets have a full HD camera, 32gb of storage, bluetooth and NFC.

The entertainment system features a new smartphone interface. If either an iOS or Android device is connected to the car via USB, the respective system is opened in in the Audi Smartphone interface. (minimum device OS versions are required)

The voice control system now uses natural speech control so drivers are no longer limited to specific commands.

If a customer orders the Tour package, an optional addition to the adaptive cruise control is traffic jam assistant. In this mode, the Q7 will take care of all of the driving at speeds below 37mph and while in heavy congestion.

Q7 sales have been increasing steadily over the last few years with sales up 21% verse this period last year after a 41% increase in 2013, but Audi still has a way to go before catching up to segment leader Mercedes.

You can follow all of the Detroit Auto Show goings on and browse previous years' shows by following our Detroit Auto Show page

Source: Audi Q7 Press Release

View full article

Really?  I didn't care for the current one much, but I do like this one.

It doesn't look bad by any means... It is just a slightly chunkier Audi wagon with some of the new bits from the TT and Q3. The problem is that Audi has been tweaking the same design for 10 years now. Each new model becomes slightly edgier, adds more LEDs, and starts to look more and more like vanilla. I think the A7 was the last interesting looking Audi to debut. As someone who has always favored Audi, I'm starting to find less and less to like in the looks department. 

• Agree 1

Really?  I didn't care for the current one much, but I do like this one.

It doesn't look bad by any means... It is just a slightly chunkier Audi wagon with some of the new bits from the TT and Q3. The problem is that Audi has been tweaking the same design for 10 years now. Each new model becomes slightly edgier, adds more LEDs, and starts to look more and more like vanilla. I think the A7 was the last interesting looking Audi to debut. As someone who has always favored Audi, I'm starting to find less and less to like in the looks department.

Yeah, I can see that. For me, the Q7 finally gained enough flair to be interesting to me.

Not even the technology Balth?  The thing will drive itself up to speeds of 37mph.  Fuel economy numbers look to be very good as well, but at the moment they are based on the Euro cycle which is a bit optimistic compared to the US numbers.

• Has a real 'sucker fish' look up front, ringed with chrome like that.

• Yet another squashed hexagon grille.

• IMO there's nothing either new OR compelling here.

Not even the technology Balth?  The thing will drive itself up to speeds of 37mph.  

That's the only new bit I see in the OP. Frankly, that's not something I would have any desire to have, and it alone is not going to turn one more sale IMO. The rest is frequently available already, elsewhere. Even the Q7 has had an 8-spd since '10.

Very very slightly, but no where near to a detriment.

It's just got a busy, line-intensive design that really has no brand ID to it.

IMO, I think despite many internet QBs chiming to the contrary; there's an SUV/CUV glut going on, and none (I would venture to say the Escalade is an exception) really stand out. Audi used to have a very slick design language figured out, but the marketers want constant 'progress', VW shuffles the deck chairs and here; folded & stacks many on top of some others. Somehow, it's both busy and bland. 

So this is a Station Wagon on Steroids! First initial look made me think Brick SUV like the original Cherokee, but the more I looked at it, the more it clearly screams to me a station wagon butched up.

Interesting technology, but I hate the interior and the fat center floor console that will eat up leg comfort room for us big guys.

Pass on this.

I wonder how different this will look in person.  I'm seeing more and more wagon as I look at the pictures.  I just caught a glimpse of this out of the corner of my eye on the front page and thought to myself "Oh, did William put up an article about some Subaru Legacy sport wagon that I didn't see yet?!" 

I can't quite pt my finger on why this looks more "wagon" than say, the Grand Cherokee, but it does. When I see it in person in a couple weeks, I'll update my opinion.

For some reason this one stands out a little more to me. Yes it is a wagon, but it is a little "chunkier" than most. Its like SUV meets wagon. Along with the wifi technology it is offering this vehicle is dynamite.

All of the manufactureres are offering wifi these days, I'm curious to see what the take rate or subscription rate is after the car leaves the trial period.