Drew Dowdell

Detroit Auto Show Reveal: 2016 Chevrolet Volt: Comments

At the North American International Auto Show in Detroit today, Chevrolet unveiled the all new 2016 Chevrolet Volt. The biggest news is the increase in EV range from 38 miles to 50 miles and an increased combined range of up to 420 miles on a full battery and full tank of fuel.

Under the hood is a new 1.5 liter, direct injected 4-cylinder producing 101 horsepower. The battery pack has lost 20 lbs and the range extender has lost 100 lbs. The battery capacity has increased to 18.1 kWh though the number of battery cells has dropped from 288 to 192.

The Volt now no longer requires premium fuel. There is a new 2-motor drive unit that produces 294 lb-ft of torque. Overall, the Voltec system is now 12% more efficient. Acceleration to 30 mph has improved from 3.2 seconds to 2.6 seconds. The system features a Regeneration on Demand control that allows the driver to increase the regeneration via a control on the back of the steering wheel.

2016 Chevrolet Volt 022

2016 Chevrolet Volt interior, Click to enlarge

Inside, Volt effectively maintains the 2+2 seating arrangement with the console on the floor between the two rear seats, though Chevy says you could put a third small person back there if they are willing to straddle the cupholder. The dashboard is completely redesigned. It has ditched the capacitive touch controls in favor of physical knobs and buttons. Chevy's Mylink system is displayed on an 8.0" diagonal touch screen. Chevy reduced the number of icons on the screen for easier use.

The Volt will be built at GM's Hamtramck plant in Michigan with the batteries coming from Brownstown Michigan. The regeneration unit will initially be manufactured in Mexico before shifting to Flint Michigan. GM says that the Volt will be made of up to 70 percent US manufactured parts.

The Volt comes out at a time when gas prices are plunging all over the U.S., not the best timing for a car that is sold on the premise of saving money on gas. However, the Volt may make a compelling argument as just a car that happens to save on fuel.

The 2016 Volt hits the road this summer.

Press Release on Page 2

2016 Chevrolet Volt 019
Album: 2016 Chevrolet Volt
26 images
0 comments

You can sign up to follow all the stories from Detroit here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+

Click here to view the article

Awesome, very nice 2.0 version. Love the dash. Just wish they had pushed for a 100 mile range plus the generator so you could have a 500 mile car.

I dunno... 100 mile range would have been nice, but it would have also required a much larger battery and more weight.  I still believe they are giving the upper brands a more extended version tho. This is pretty damn nice with a 25% gain in EV mode with new battery tech. The weight savings is tremendous, and the look is much more sleek and contemp. LOVE THE rear. Crossing fingers on this one.. as I think this one will get more sales just for looking more normal. 

It looks slightly better in the press pictures. The interior looks like a massive improvement. Still reeks of Honda/Acura, though, a bit better executed here. 

Having spent a couple of weeks in a brand new 2014 Volt as a loaner, this looks to be a big improvement in appearance.  The like this interior MUCH better.  I like the rear of this MUCH better.  I do like the front but I think it would look better with less bright work.

I think Viper is onto something.  This looks exactly like an Acura version of the Honda Insight, if it existed.  Meh.  Very nice interior though, way nicer than the old car and the Volt's competition.

The inside looks like what you'd expect from a Malibu, it is a little nicer than a Cruze. The back end looks like a Civic and the front looks like a Toyota with an Acura beak. This looks like a Japanese car, gen 1 had a better front end I think.

Spec bumps look good, interior looks good.  Exterior I get too much of a Kia Forte vibe more than Honda, wish it was a bit more distinct aside from the grille.

Will be interesting to see how different the next Cruze will look.

I like it but I can't get excited about it.  My friend is still pushing towards a Tesla 3... he owns a home with solar panels, so he loves the idea of never fueling up.  His trips would never outrun a Tesla 3's range anyway, and he's willing to wait til 2017.  He did give consideration when I mentioned the Chevy Bolt... although it's really unattractive in my opinion.

I like it but I can't get excited about it.  My friend is still pushing towards a Tesla 3... he owns a home with solar panels, so he loves the idea of never fueling up.  His trips would never outrun a Tesla 3's range anyway, and he's willing to wait til 2017.  He did give consideration when I mentioned the Chevy Bolt... although it's really unattractive in my opinion.

More design in the VOLT / Bolt than the Bland Tesla. The only Tesla that has some style is their CUV if they ever deliver it to market and even then it is still bland. Tesla is the Electronic version of Honda. Safe, Conservative and blahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I agree with dfelt. Tesla is incredible for the high-tech systems and electric energy, but it really is subpar in terms of looks. I quite like the look of this Volt and I agree that the 100 mile range would come with repercussions. This car doesn't need additional weight.

I really like the tesla model s, but we haven't seen the Model 3 yet to know what it will look like.

Great looking car, but I do wonder how similar the new Cruze will look.  I hope they are visually distinguished and not mis-identified by passers-by.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. Duncan
      Duncan
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      After countless months of speculation, spy photos, and someone leaking out the cover of this month's Car and Driver, Chevrolet has revealed the 2019 Corvette ZR1. This is the maddest Corvette that Chevrolet has ever built.
      Beginning under the hood, the ZR1 packs an LT5 V8 engine. While carrying the same name as the engine found in the original ZR-1, the new ZR1 skips the dual-overhead cams found in the original LT5. Instead, Corvette engineers took the supercharged 6.2L V8 found in the Z06 and installed a larger Eaton supercharger that pumps in 52 percent more air into the engine. The LT5 also features direct and port fuel injection, upgraded crankshaft, dry sump lubrication, and a 4-inch throttle body (the largest ever fitted to a Corvette). The end result is action with 755 horsepower and 715 pound-feet of torque. Chevrolet is keeping quiet the 0-60 mph time, but did say the ZR1 can reach a top speed of 210 mph.
      Like the Z06, the ZR1 will be available with the choice of a seven-speed manual or eight-speed automatic. According to a report from Automobile, engineers tried to fit GM's new ten-speed automatic into the ZR1 but couldn't due to packaging issues with the Corvette's architecture.
      Polarizing is the best way to describe the Corvette ZR1's styling, especially in the front with large air ducts. This is to help maximize cooling with each duct featuring a radiator and intercooler. The front fenders are slightly wider to make space for wider tires. Unlike the previous ZR1 with a window on the hood showing off the supercharger assembly, the new model makes do with a carbon fiber “halo” hood featuring vents and a shaker piece covering the supercharger.
      The ZR1 shown in the photos provided by Chevrolet features the optional ZTK performance package which comes with an adjustable high-wing kit, front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and special tuning for the chassis and magnetic ride control system. The large rear wing is said to provide 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the optional Z07 package. The standard ZR1 sticks with a fixed, low wing that is said to deliver the highest top speed.
      Those wanting to stand out further with their ZR1 can order the Sebring Orange Design Package. It includes a Sebring Orange Tintcoat for the exterior, brake calipers finished in orange, rocker panels and splitter featuring orange stripes; orange seatbelts and stitching for the interior; and bronze aluminum trim.
      The Corvette ZR1 arrives at dealers next spring. No word on pricing, but we wouldn't be shocked if it begins over $100,000.
      Source: Chevrolet
      Press Release is on Page 2

2019 CORVETTE ZR1: RETURN OF THE KING
      The fastest, most powerful production Corvette ever retakes its supercar crown DUBAI — The King is returning, stronger than ever.
      Chevrolet today introduced the 2019 Corvette ZR1, a supercar that pushes Corvette’s performance legacy with the highest power, greatest track performance and most advanced technology in its production history.
      “I’ve never driven a Corvette like this before, and nobody else has either, because there’s never been one like this before,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Its unprecedented performance puts all other global supercars on notice that the ZR1 is back.”
      The Corvette ZR1’s exclusive LT5 supercharged engine, which is rated at an SAE-certified 755 horsepower (563 kW) and 715 lb-ft of torque (969 Nm), is establishing a new benchmark in performance. Further, the ZR1 elevates Corvette’s track capability with two wind tunnel-honed aerodynamics packages, including an available High Wing that provides an estimated 950 pounds of downforce.
      Most powerful ever
      The ZR1’s LT5 6.2L V-8 engine advances Corvette’s supercharging legacy, which began with the 2009 sixth-generation ZR1 and continued with the 2015 seventh-generation Z06. The LT5 delivers the highest output ever for a Chevrolet production vehicle, thanks in part to a new, more-efficient intercooled supercharger system that offers 52 percent more displacement than the Z06’s LT4 supercharger. GM’s first dual-fuel-injection system, which employs primary direct injection and supplemental port injection, helps the LT5 achieve its record output.
      Seven-speed manual and eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmissions are available with the LT5. It’s the first time an automatic transmission has been offered in a ZR1.
      Fastest ever
      The 2019 Corvette ZR1’s aggressive appearance is driven by function, contributing to its distinction as the fastest production Corvette to date.
      An all-new front fascia is designed to channel air for propulsion-system and drivetrain cooling, with four new radiators bringing the heat-exchanger total to 13. A special carbon-fiber “halo” hood is open in the middle to clear the LT5 engine’s supercharger/intercooler assembly. Additional features, including aero packages with stanchion-mounted wings, help push the ZR1 harder onto the track for more confident handling and faster lap times. Top speed of the ZR1 is over 210 mph.
      “As the highest-performing Corvette ever, the ZR1’s design supports its capability in every way,” said Kirk Bennion, Exterior Design manager. “The new wings, for example, help generate more downforce without adding drag, enhancing road holding and top speed.”
      The ZR1 will offer two aero packages: a standard rear Low Wing, which delivers the highest top speed and helps generate up to 70 percent more downforce than the Z06’s base aero package, and an available two-way-adjustable High Wing that offers maximum downforce on the track for the quickest lap times — about 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the available Z07 Performance Package. All models also feature a Chevrolet-first, downforce-enhancing front underwing.
      The adjustable High Wing is part of the new ZTK Performance Package, which also includes a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning for greater cornering grip.
      Both of the ZR1’s wings are tied into the chassis, like the Corvette Racing C7.R racecar, for strength and stability.
      Sebring Orange Design Package
      The Corvette ZR1 introduced today also debuted a dynamic, available Sebring Orange Design Package. Centered on its Sebring Orange Tintcoat exterior color, the package also includes orange brake calipers, orange rocker and splitter accent stripes, orange seat belts, orange interior stitching and unique, bronze aluminum interior trim.
      The new design package complements the Corvette ZR1’s tradition of offering maximum performance with refinement and design distinction. The driver-focused, well-appointed cockpit includes standard leather-trimmed seats, with sueded microfiber inserts offered. Heated and vented Napa leather-trimmed seating is also available, as well as a carbon fiber-rimmed steering wheel, competition sport seats, Performance Data Recorder, Bose premium audio system and more.
      The 2019 Corvette ZR1 goes on sale next spring, poised to take on the world’s best.
      It’s good to be the King.
    • By William Maley
      After countless months of speculation, spy photos, and someone leaking out the cover of this month's Car and Driver, Chevrolet has revealed the 2019 Corvette ZR1. This is the maddest Corvette that Chevrolet has ever built.
      Beginning under the hood, the ZR1 packs an LT5 V8 engine. While carrying the same name as the engine found in the original ZR-1, the new ZR1 skips the dual-overhead cams found in the original LT5. Instead, Corvette engineers took the supercharged 6.2L V8 found in the Z06 and installed a larger Eaton supercharger that pumps in 52 percent more air into the engine. The LT5 also features direct and port fuel injection, upgraded crankshaft, dry sump lubrication, and a 4-inch throttle body (the largest ever fitted to a Corvette). The end result is action with 755 horsepower and 715 pound-feet of torque. Chevrolet is keeping quiet the 0-60 mph time, but did say the ZR1 can reach a top speed of 210 mph.
      Like the Z06, the ZR1 will be available with the choice of a seven-speed manual or eight-speed automatic. According to a report from Automobile, engineers tried to fit GM's new ten-speed automatic into the ZR1 but couldn't due to packaging issues with the Corvette's architecture.
      Polarizing is the best way to describe the Corvette ZR1's styling, especially in the front with large air ducts. This is to help maximize cooling with each duct featuring a radiator and intercooler. The front fenders are slightly wider to make space for wider tires. Unlike the previous ZR1 with a window on the hood showing off the supercharger assembly, the new model makes do with a carbon fiber “halo” hood featuring vents and a shaker piece covering the supercharger.
      The ZR1 shown in the photos provided by Chevrolet features the optional ZTK performance package which comes with an adjustable high-wing kit, front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and special tuning for the chassis and magnetic ride control system. The large rear wing is said to provide 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the optional Z07 package. The standard ZR1 sticks with a fixed, low wing that is said to deliver the highest top speed.
      Those wanting to stand out further with their ZR1 can order the Sebring Orange Design Package. It includes a Sebring Orange Tintcoat for the exterior, brake calipers finished in orange, rocker panels and splitter featuring orange stripes; orange seatbelts and stitching for the interior; and bronze aluminum trim.
      The Corvette ZR1 arrives at dealers next spring. No word on pricing, but we wouldn't be shocked if it begins over $100,000.
      Source: Chevrolet

2019 CORVETTE ZR1: RETURN OF THE KING
      The fastest, most powerful production Corvette ever retakes its supercar crown DUBAI — The King is returning, stronger than ever.
      Chevrolet today introduced the 2019 Corvette ZR1, a supercar that pushes Corvette’s performance legacy with the highest power, greatest track performance and most advanced technology in its production history.
      “I’ve never driven a Corvette like this before, and nobody else has either, because there’s never been one like this before,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Its unprecedented performance puts all other global supercars on notice that the ZR1 is back.”
      The Corvette ZR1’s exclusive LT5 supercharged engine, which is rated at an SAE-certified 755 horsepower (563 kW) and 715 lb-ft of torque (969 Nm), is establishing a new benchmark in performance. Further, the ZR1 elevates Corvette’s track capability with two wind tunnel-honed aerodynamics packages, including an available High Wing that provides an estimated 950 pounds of downforce.
      Most powerful ever
      The ZR1’s LT5 6.2L V-8 engine advances Corvette’s supercharging legacy, which began with the 2009 sixth-generation ZR1 and continued with the 2015 seventh-generation Z06. The LT5 delivers the highest output ever for a Chevrolet production vehicle, thanks in part to a new, more-efficient intercooled supercharger system that offers 52 percent more displacement than the Z06’s LT4 supercharger. GM’s first dual-fuel-injection system, which employs primary direct injection and supplemental port injection, helps the LT5 achieve its record output.
      Seven-speed manual and eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmissions are available with the LT5. It’s the first time an automatic transmission has been offered in a ZR1.
      Fastest ever
      The 2019 Corvette ZR1’s aggressive appearance is driven by function, contributing to its distinction as the fastest production Corvette to date.
      An all-new front fascia is designed to channel air for propulsion-system and drivetrain cooling, with four new radiators bringing the heat-exchanger total to 13. A special carbon-fiber “halo” hood is open in the middle to clear the LT5 engine’s supercharger/intercooler assembly. Additional features, including aero packages with stanchion-mounted wings, help push the ZR1 harder onto the track for more confident handling and faster lap times. Top speed of the ZR1 is over 210 mph.
      “As the highest-performing Corvette ever, the ZR1’s design supports its capability in every way,” said Kirk Bennion, Exterior Design manager. “The new wings, for example, help generate more downforce without adding drag, enhancing road holding and top speed.”
      The ZR1 will offer two aero packages: a standard rear Low Wing, which delivers the highest top speed and helps generate up to 70 percent more downforce than the Z06’s base aero package, and an available two-way-adjustable High Wing that offers maximum downforce on the track for the quickest lap times — about 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the available Z07 Performance Package. All models also feature a Chevrolet-first, downforce-enhancing front underwing.
      The adjustable High Wing is part of the new ZTK Performance Package, which also includes a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning for greater cornering grip.
      Both of the ZR1’s wings are tied into the chassis, like the Corvette Racing C7.R racecar, for strength and stability.
      Sebring Orange Design Package
      The Corvette ZR1 introduced today also debuted a dynamic, available Sebring Orange Design Package. Centered on its Sebring Orange Tintcoat exterior color, the package also includes orange brake calipers, orange rocker and splitter accent stripes, orange seat belts, orange interior stitching and unique, bronze aluminum interior trim.
      The new design package complements the Corvette ZR1’s tradition of offering maximum performance with refinement and design distinction. The driver-focused, well-appointed cockpit includes standard leather-trimmed seats, with sueded microfiber inserts offered. Heated and vented Napa leather-trimmed seating is also available, as well as a carbon fiber-rimmed steering wheel, competition sport seats, Performance Data Recorder, Bose premium audio system and more.
      The 2019 Corvette ZR1 goes on sale next spring, poised to take on the world’s best.
      It’s good to be the King.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Bentley appears to have electric vehicles on the brain. Back in September, we reported that the luxury automaker decided to go forward on an electric coupe over a small SUV. It seems there are plans for another electric vehicle.
      According to a report from Automobile Magazine, Bentley will be working on its own version of the Porsche Mission E codenamed J1. The new model will use the Mission E architecture which is said to have three different power outputs - 402, 536, and 670 horsepower. But there is talk of Porsche working on a monster version producing 936 horsepower and coming with larger batteries. Expect a four-door coupe design and possibly wearing the name of Barnato.
      There is a wrinkle to this as Audi is said to be working on its own take on the J1 possibly named e-tron GT.
      Source: Automobile Magazine

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Bentley appears to have electric vehicles on the brain. Back in September, we reported that the luxury automaker decided to go forward on an electric coupe over a small SUV. It seems there are plans for another electric vehicle.
      According to a report from Automobile Magazine, Bentley will be working on its own version of the Porsche Mission E codenamed J1. The new model will use the Mission E architecture which is said to have three different power outputs - 402, 536, and 670 horsepower. But there is talk of Porsche working on a monster version producing 936 horsepower and coming with larger batteries. Expect a four-door coupe design and possibly wearing the name of Barnato.
      There is a wrinkle to this as Audi is said to be working on its own take on the J1 possibly named e-tron GT.
      Source: Automobile Magazine
    • By William Maley
      Ford has announced a new joint venture with Chinese automaker Zotye on affordable electric vehicles for the Chinese market.
      Named Zotye Ford Automobile, the venture will see the two automakers develop and manufacture electric vehicles for a new brand. Ford and Zotye will be investing a total of 5 billion RMB (about $756 million) on this venture. Part of that investment will go towards a new manufacturing plant in the Zhejiang Province. The two automakers will also work on mobility solutions.
      “We are delighted to have signed this joint venture agreement with Zotye to form our third joint venture automotive company in China. Subject to regulatory approval, Zotye Ford will introduce a new brand family of small all-electric vehicles," said Peter Fleet, Ford group vice president and president of the Asia Pacific region.
      Zoyte knows a thing or two about selling EVs in China. The company has sold 22,500 small EVs within the first 10 months of the year. Zoyte is also very infamous for building the T700 which is a copy of the Porsche Macan crossover.
      Source: Ford

FORD AND ZOTYE SIGN DEFINITIVE JV AGREEMENT IN CHINA TO MEET GROWING DEMAND FOR ALL-ELECTRIC VEHICLES
      Ford and Zotye signed a definitive joint venture agreement to establish Zotye Ford Automobile Co. Ltd., a new 50:50 joint venture that will offer a range of stylish and affordable electric vehicles for consumers in China Pending regulatory approval, the new JV will develop and manufacture all-electric vehicles under a new Chinese brand Zotye Ford also plans to build a new manufacturing plant in Zhejiang Province. A new dedicated sales and service network also will be established Ford and Zotye also will explore the opportunity to offer new mobility services in China to help provide solutions for emerging transportation challenges Beijing, Nov. 8, 2017 -- Ford Motor Company and Zotye today reached a definitive agreement to establish Zotye Ford Automobile Co., Ltd., a new 50:50 joint venture that will offer a range of stylish and affordable all-electric vehicles for consumers in China under a new indigenous brand.
      The agreement was signed in Beijing today by Peter Fleet, Ford group vice president and president, Ford Asia Pacific, and Ying Jianren, chairman of Tech-New Group Ltd. and board director of Zotye Auto.
      Pending regulatory approval, the new JV will design, build, market and distribute all-electric passenger vehicles for China, the world’s leading electric vehicle market. The establishment of the JV is a key step by Ford towards realizing its vision of a cleaner, more environmentally-sustainable future. The new JV will leverage a combined investment of 5 billion RMB (approximately U.S. $756 million).
      The new JV builds upon Ford’s ambitious China electrification strategy. Ford announced earlier this year that at least 70 percent of Ford-branded vehicles sold in the country will offer electrified powertrain options by 2025.
      Zotye Ford plans to build a dedicated product research and development center as well as its own sales and services network. A new manufacturing plant for the JV will be constructed in Zhejiang Province. The all-electric vehicles produced by the JV will be sold under a new Chinese brand designed to meet Chinese consumers’ aspirations for electric vehicles.
      “We are delighted to have signed this joint venture agreement with Zotye to form our third joint venture automotive company in China. Subject to regulatory approval, Zotye Ford will introduce a new brand family of small all-electric vehicles," Fleet said. "We will be exploring innovative vehicle connectivity and mobility service solutions for a new generation of young city-dwelling Chinese customers."
      In addition to the new JV, Ford and Zotye will explore offering mobility services to consumers in China as local demand for such solutions continues to grow.
      Through this new JV, Ford commits to actively support the advancement of a more environmentally sustainable auto industry in China through local research and development as well as domestic production of all-electric vehicles.
      Zotye Auto is a pioneer in the Chinese all-electric vehicle segment. It is the market leader in China’s all-electric small vehicle segment and sold more than 22,500 all-electric vehicles year-to-date through October, representing a growth of over 14 percent year-over-year. The JV will benefit from Zotye’s expertise in designing and commercializing EVs in China, and Ford’s global product development and technology capabilities.
      “This is an important day for Zotye as we partner with Ford to help advance the growth of the Chinese auto industry,” said Zotye’s Ying. “We will work closely together to help meet Chinese consumers’ growing demand for electric vehicles.”
      Upon its establishment, the new JV will expand Ford’s footprint in China. Ford already operates successful vehicle joint ventures with Changan Ford Automobile Corporation, Ltd. and Jiangling Motors Corporation. Ford will continue working closely with its JV partners to develop and manufacture New Energy Vehicles to meet rising consumer demand in China during the impending electrification phase of the Chinese auto industry.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook