2015 Jeep Renegade

regfootball

(edit: down several posts is the review----here    http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/84699-2015-jeep-renegade/page-3#entry763643  )

-----

note:  I went to get my first oil change on my new Town and Country and the dship had a new Renegade on the showfloor.

After checking it out, I intend to take a test drive soon.  I didn't realize it would have the option for a stick, and on both FWD and AWD.  Otherwise the 2.4 engine will sell the most since that is how you get an automatic.

So this for now is just an impression on sitting in it and seeing it in person, and especially with it right next to the lame Compass, I can tell you what looks cheeky and cartoonish in pictures has a lot more character and meat to it in person.  I was rather taken aback by how good a job Jeep did with the look of the vehicle, and in particular the interior and packaging.  I was shocked at how well the 'Jeep meets Kia Soul' look fits into the Jeep karma.

The price of the vehicle in the show floor was mid twenties for an automatic 4x4 Latitude.  I can pretty much say that if the equipment and price is comparable between a Trax and the Renegade, the Renegade crushes the Trax in terms of room and space, style, character, while being darned close on MPG.

The interior was pretty darned nice for the price and room abounds.  I am 6'-1" and there was at least 4" of headroom left atop my head, front and back.  No shortage of girth, plenty of shoulder and hip room.  Leg room was most impressive, front and back.  Felt completely comfortable in either row, with a minor exception of the second row cushion being a tish low.  No worries, the footwell under the front seat allows for a natural sitting position in the rear and 4 people will by nicely comfy at any time in this Jeep.  Actually there is not much interior room difference between the Cherokee and Renegade (They actually are on different platforms).

I would totally be ok taking a long road trip in this vehicle, sitting in either the front or back.

The cargo area is not huge, but not small. Similar to an outlander Sport or the Previous Compass.  

The interior as a whole is quite well done for having to look 'Jeep' and sell at the low price points.  There are some neat details in there in a few spots and overall fits in quite well with the idea of the brand.  

The Renegade is on the Fiat 500L or X platform (hope it does not have the 500L's reliability rap), and so you can tell why it has similar room and elements in the dash are in similar spots.  But there is no way at all you can tell from looking out over the hood.  The Jeep has a very blocky and chunk look out the hood and again it fits in with the Jeep karma.

Hope to get test drives very soon.  I still am more of a sedan guy, but i am intrigued by the 1.4 turbo plus stick in FWD.  I know the mpg is a few off the Trax but it is still good for a tall box and to able to shift by one self would be interesting.  But i will look into the auto as well, since I am kind of getting tired of shift myself for awhile.  The turbo lag on the 500L freaked me out; it should be interesting to see if that is fixed on the Renegade.

I think overall the personality of this smaller box vehicle has the potential to be a mainstream hit but also cut into the cult class of vehicles like the Mini Countryman, Juke, etc.  I also think it stacks up well to fight off all the likes of Trax, CX-3, HRV, etc that will storm the market soon.  Myself after sitting in this Jeep I don't think i would ever have any more interest in the Trax.  Since it also feels more spacious than an Escape, I think it may compete a bit with the likes of those, the CX-5, others in that realm as well.

I think this thing will be a huge seller to women.

Should be interesting to see how it does but i predict it will do quite well.  And from checking it out, I believe it will be a really functional vehicle with good space in a small package.  And despite the cute look, it still has Jeep going on......Good price and not too bad mpg either.  Good job Jeep.

Edited by regfootball

Was able to do more than just press nose.  This thing was unlocked!  I would have to go for the Trailhawk version for its ferocity though.  It feels plenty girthy in the front seat, and headroom is endless.  Load area is a bit small, but the false floor can be lifted and taken out for more load height.  And with 4WD lock and different terrain settings, even the non-Trailhawk seems to be more "ready" than anything else in its class.  Sweet little cheeky monkey!

post-37-0-92327000-1428862027_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-76241300-1428862040_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Was able to do more than just press nose.  This thing was unlocked!  I would have to go for the Trailhawk version for its ferocity though.  It feels plenty girthy in the front seat, and headroom is endless.  Load area is a bit small, but the false floor can be lifted and taken out for more load height.  And with 4WD lock and different terrain settings, even the non-Trailhawk seems to be more "ready" than anything else in its class.  Sweet little cheeky monkey!

Cheeky indeed. Trax will probably get slaughtered by this thing.

The Renegade is new, different and so will make a splash and have sales.

Down side, BIG DNA from the Terrible Fiat 500 line. Not sure I would be willing to take a risk on it as they have way to many problems right now on their new auto releases.

Yet to compare external and internal pics while nice, The Chevy does stand on it's own.

post-12-0-68512300-1428894366_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-98565800-1428894367_thumb.jpg

Yes of course, when it comes to daily reliability I suspect the Chevy will be a superior product.  I just wish GM would make some sort of effort toward a modicum of off-road capability.  There is no dirt whatsoever at the Trax site, in any of the photos.  However, YouTube features several videos of the Mokka in mud and snow, being thrashed a bit.  So, maybe it's a liability thing on GMNA's part, not sure.

Two different customers I think

I would like to see a Trax with gloss black wheels, white letter BFG All-Terrain T/A tires, blacked out chrome and dark headlights and taillights.  Trax Z71?  ;)

Edited by ocnblu
  • Upvote 1

I would like to see a Trax with gloss black wheels, white letter BFG All-Terrain T/A tires, blacked out chrome and dark headlights and taillights.  Trax Z71?  ;)

I think it needs more engine to do that sadly..   :(

Every time I see the PR guy from Buick, I bug him about putting the 1.6T into the Encore..... so you can't say I'm not working on it. 

• Upvote 1

+1 That would be one sick Ride!  :gitfunky:

Yes and no.  On a primary level, the Trax fits in with the HRv's, CX-3's, etc.  However, I think people will cross shop due to 4wd and general price point, and they likely will be classfied into the same size group.  They will probably be compared in magazine comparos.  You will get shoppers that will go down the ladder from Cherokee due to not being able to afford or want to spend so much and they will look at the Renegade.  Of course now the Terrain and Equinox are too big or expensive for some.

Yes and no.  On a primary level, the Trax fits in with the HRv's, CX-3's, etc.  However, I think people will cross shop due to 4wd and general price point, and they likely will be classfied into the same size group.  They will probably be compared in magazine comparos.  You will get shoppers that will go down the ladder from Cherokee due to not being able to afford or want to spend so much and they will look at the Renegade.  Of course now the Terrain and Equinox are too big or expensive for some.

The Renegade appeals more to the "I really want a Wrangler, but can't justify it" set.  The Trax appeals to the "I'd buy a Sonic, but I want AWD and to sit high up" set.   I like the Renegade, I really do, however the Chevy has the better interior for anyone who isn't out there in the mud. 

All Chevy has to do is point out that they have the better AWD system (and aside from Trailhawk versions of the Renegade and Cherokee, it's true) to ease the mommy fears about going in snow. 

Yeahbut $32,510 pales in comparison to a loaded Encore with 138 hp.

It's actually about the same price as a loaded Encore.  The Encore is far more luxury inside though, primarily through using nicer materials. 

I haven't driven a Renegade yet, but I'm betting that it is a lot louder inside and doesn't ride like the Buick out on the highway. 

Albert likes the look of the Renegade, but could never abide by its interior.  He tried it out at the NY auto show last year.   The 138hp in the Encore isn't an issue for him.  It feels perky enough around town and gets him to turnpike speeds just fine. He thinks the Encore is more powerful than our 160hp CRV, but that's all in the gearing so whatever... 

As I said earlier... two different types of Customers. 

the small CUV market has grown so much, it already is splintering into sub groups.

MSRP on more typical LT Trax AWD are about 25,300-26,000 and up from there, to even on the verge of 27,000

Most of the Renegade Latitude 4X4 i have built are falling in about the same range.

So if you simply come down to 

small

"cute"

AWD or 4WD

American brand

SUV

four cylinder

25,000- abouts at start,

they are remarkably similar and I easily can see many a shopping comparison from consumers, especially women CUV shoppers

Edited by regfootball

We will see clearly those that want more luxury will end up in a Trax or Encore and those that want the image of off road out doors going with the Renegade. Each will have fans and customers and I agree with Drew that I do not see one cannibalizing the others.

The Car and Driver I just got has a road test on the new Renegade.  Which version?

1.4 Sport, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

The test is not yet available on the website, but when it is, I will post it.

A pretty complimentary review.

I so wanted to post it, I thought ocnblu would like to read about it.........

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Car and Driver I just got has a road test on the new Renegade.  Which version?

1.4 Sport, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

The test is not yet available on the website, but when it is, I will post it.

A pretty complimentary review.

I so wanted to post it, I thought ocnblu would like to read about it.........

here's that review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-jeep-renegade-sport-4x4-14t-manual-test-review

dealer i bought my cobalt from sent email about 1,000 down, 99 dollar a month lease deals on chevy trax LS FWD, wonder if they want to keep selling units before this renegade gets too popular

Edited by regfootball

• 2 weeks later...

Nice little review. I basically did the same a couple weeks ago when I saw one on a local lot. I too was very impressed with them in person. It also wasn't as tiny as I was expecting it to be. I didn't get to get in and mess around inside but I was very impressed overall with the exterior. The price seemed a little high to me. The one I saw was a FWD Lattitude and it was 24k. I know that isn't outrageous but it was only FWD and it is a Jeep. Also, I really liked how it had 17 inch wheels. They weren't big, weren't small and replacing tires wouldn't be an absolute nightmare.

This is the one I saw

ACD7F015-DA3E-4F77-9B78-A038682210B3_zps

2106600E-4718-41F9-BB72-B5B6DB1E1611_zps

I'm definitely getting sticker shock from that, but then again Buick sells the Encore in that range with the 1.4T. Cars in general are so damn expensive now. I can't imagine spending close to $25k for a compact that isn't performance oriented. That's only a few grand shy of what my Malibu stickered for and I've got a LOT more car for the money.

With that said, I do like the Renegade's funky styling and interior.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

I'm definitely getting sticker shock from that, but then again Buick sells the Encore in that range with the 1.4T. Cars in general are so damn expensive now. I can't imagine spending close to $25k for a compact that isn't performance oriented. That's only a few grand shy of what my Malibu stickered for and I've got a LOT more car for the money.

With that said, I do like the Renegade's funky styling and interior.

We're really happy with our Encore and it isn't for the vroom vroom performance.  We live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh but we are in downtown often.  I also take lots of long trips in the Encore.  It's great for both city scooting and long distance comfort.  0-60 is pretty meaningless to us.

That said,  I'll have a Renegade Trailhawk and Renegade Sport review up in a week or three.