Random Thoughts Thread

Good morning ...

... a quick quiz - 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

Match the following:

1.  state governor

220px-Tina_Kotek,_2021_(cropped).jpg

a.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlbchtV8RvWYkBmJVJmk_

b.

2.  to the vehicle they are likely to pilot

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfzeiD7-naY9jfy4xhYcs

a.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPYNpkBNAgZh0TDtqm1EP

b.

- - - - -

Don't think too hard now.

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:13 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

Someone wasn't thinking on this sign...

image.thumb.jpeg.a060cf759c4d2206bf4f954bfd9d596a.jpeg

Re "their" signs:

Their signs often show their stupidity, their rigidity, or both.

This is an interesting read.

If the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV RST Doesn't Have Enough Range, You Might Be the Problem (motortrend.com)

They have now gotten wireless charging up to 120 kW which is great, I can see them eventually getting this to the 350 kW level and then payday for selling it to a variety of businesses on top of this new release being perfect for home charging.

Fast Wireless EV Charging? It’s Coming (motortrend.com)

This guy nails it on all the politicians who are attaching renewable energy and EVs.

Ph.D. student debunks common misinformation about renewable energy transition: 'So many people don't understand' (thecooldown.com)

Candles did out sell at their peak when light bulbs first came out, but technology and adding electrical lines to homes replaced the need for candles and how they are now a luxury thing to light and enjoy the sent while soaking in the bathtub or having a romantic dinner with someone.

EVs are progressing faster than ICE autos ever did and for now, leasing IMHO is the best way to go with EVs.

Want an EV? Here's how to decide whether you should lease or buy (usatoday.com)

They nail it when they say that in 36 months, EVs will have leap frogged what traditional ICE have accomplished in the past and especially today.

Mach e owners are loving their small gift in the mail for the added charging network.

Tesla's DC fast chargers now work for Ford electric vehicles too (usatoday.com)

On 6/1/2024 at 9:01 AM, trinacriabob said:

Good morning  ...

20240601_114125.thumb.jpg.1bc1c4db4dd214035e54cad3c55f692b.jpg

... this was my morning.

I love looking at this thing.

What Mountain is that?

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, G. David Felt said:

What Mountain is that?

Mt. Etna on the island of Sicily.  Approaching it from the urban plain to its south gives this more complete view of it ... about 10,000 ft. and an active volcano.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

What I was really going to say:

"Buona Festa della Repubblica"

image.png.30ec19d8645522978928a0ca2fc18f55.png

"Happy Republic Day"

Today, June 2, is to Italy what the 1st of July is to Canada, the 4th of July is to the U.S., and the 14th of July is to France ... more or less.

Edited by trinacriabob

16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Recurring random thought:

Hotels almost always have crappy fitness centers / fitness rooms

As a swimmer, I concur.  The pools are so tiny I can't even get one stroke in before the end of the pool.  I'm 6 - 10 strokes per breath, which means I breathe as little as once per 25 yards. Most of the hotel pools are no more than 5 yards.  

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, G. David Felt said:

🤔 So ya stay at a Hotel to work out? ;)

No, but no LA Fitness and 24 Hour Fitness in some parts of the world.  Hotel gyms and other small gyms have random pieces, poorly positioned and grounped pieces, and don't breathe well.  You walk up to a machine that doesn't agree with you and you may not work out.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

As a swimmer, I concur.  The pools are so tiny I can't even get one stroke in before the end of the pool.  I'm 6 - 10 strokes per breath, which means I breathe as little as once per 25 yards. Most of the hotel pools are no more than 5 yards.  

They are indeed tiny and, also, many times the jacuzzi is out of order.

They also have issues with tables.  If in the room, who wants to be at a desk facing a wall while on their laptop?  Some hotels smartly have tables or desks perpendicular to the wall.

Also, they have cocktail tables in any public room.  They want you to buy drinks and not have your laptop open.  At some lower price points, tables of any kind are scarce as they want to make damn sure the clientele is not in the public spaces - "out of sight, out of mind."

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

They are indeed tiny and, also, many times the jacuzzi is out of order.

They also have issues with tables.  If in the room, who wants to be at a desk facing a wall while on their laptop?  Some hotels smartly have tables or desks perpendicular to the wall.

Also, they have cocktail tables in any public room.  They want you to buy drinks and not have your laptop open.  At some lower price points, tables of any kind are scarce as they want to make damn sure the clientele is not in the public spaces - "out of sight, out of mind."

Ugh, and most of the Marriott properties use glass tops on their desks, meaning I have to go find some magazine or something to use as a mouse pad since optical mice don't work on those.  

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

No, but no LA Fitness and 24 Hour Fitness in some parts of the world.  Hotel gyms and other small gyms have random pieces, poorly positioned and grounped pieces, and don't breathe well.  You walk up to a machine that doesn't agree with you and you may not work out.

I don't travel anywhere near what you do, but the few I've been so have been horrible. I've never seen even a decent hotel gym. 

I had seen first of the new traverses about 4 weeks ago but forgot to load pictures here . Lot trolling just now. The equinox EV is here now , not sure why we have the Blazer EV then since they are about the same interior size. Silverado EV in work truck trim sure looks meh. 

the new traverses here I’ve seen have been front drive only, explains why they haven’t sold yet. Anyone here is snow country will look to get AWD. 

IMG_9468.jpeg

IMG_9466.jpeg

IMG_9457.jpeg

IMG_9448.jpeg

IMG_9450.jpeg

IMG_9458.jpeg

Edited by regfootball

5 hours ago, regfootball said:

I had seen first of the new traverses about 4 weeks ago but forgot to load pictures here . Lot trolling just now. The equinox EV is here now , not sure why we have the Blazer EV then since they are about the same interior size. Silverado EV in work truck trim sure looks meh. 

the new traverses here I’ve seen have been front drive only, explains why they haven’t sold yet. Anyone here is snow country will look to get AWD.

The new Traverses make me double take as I think they are a Tahoe at first but then something in the back of my brain will click and say "WRONG".

The difference between Equinox EV and Blazer EV is range, performance, and sportiness. 

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The new Traverses make me double take as I think they are a Tahoe at first but then something in the back of my brain will click and say "WRONG".

The difference between Equinox EV and Blazer EV is range, performance, and sportiness. 

That is the 'shark fin' you finally recognize........

I think if the Equinox EV is priced well (considering incentives and subsidized leases) I think it has a real chance to move in some volume.  Its shape is a little more un-GM (looks a bit like the Kia EV6) and may resonate with the lower end EV buyer more.  It appears to have a lot of room inside, and a really good dash layout.

Let's see if GM scales back production numbers WAYYY back or if they decide to subsidize the living daylights out of their EV lines and just produce a lot of them.  They should do the latter, the rate of EV adoption is going to be slow for awhile again but you can win people with incentives.  We are likely to see all of these new GM EV's pretty much untouched for the next ten years (except for batteries and motors).  They can't kill any of these models because they would receive backlash after the EV1 axing.  They'll just have to plan for like a 10 year production run of all of the models.  Which is fine.

They can get some desperate leases on the BlazerEV or Equinox EV set up for like 249 and not much down and I'd get one as a third car / weekly commute / good weather car and just use it to keep miles off my other cars.  Ultimately I'd like a hybrid....gonna look at the 25 Camry when it comes out as a commuter, AWD plus hybrid and 45 mpg I'd be up for that.  The 25 Equinox should have been offered with a plug in hybrid or even a plain hybrid.

Edited by regfootball

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

The 25 Equinox should have been offered with a plug in hybrid or even a plain hybrid

I’m 99% sure it’s coming, just not officially announced. It might be a 2026 model. They’ve already developed the powertrain for the China market and with Barra’s reversal on PHEVs in the US, it seems logical to not waste development dollars.

• Agree 1