Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Disc brakes.  Best thing to happen in cars . . . . possibly ever. 

Meh - early discs were not great, and lagged behind the best drums for many years.
Look at the above pic : non-vented, single-piston - they faded just like mid-pack drums did.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.49.51 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• balthazar

• David

• Robert Hall

• ocnblu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

Happy New Year to Blu, Olds, Drew, Balth, etc. Happy New Year to you all, Make 2018 an awesome year!  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

So, the Hyundai Venue, it seems decent for a cheap car laden with features.

My mom is driving me nuts trying to help her choose her next car.

I thought like a year or two your mom got a new car. already the lease is coming up?

Here are some choices:

Cayenne Orange Metallic Bolt

image.png

Cayenne Orange Metallic Sonic Hatchback

image.png

Orange Burst Spark

image.png

Trax has no orange available.

Cayenne Orange Metallic Equinox LS

image.png

Blazer does not have Orange.

That pretty much is all you have in Chevrolet.

6 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Has she considered a Chevy Trax?  If the new Blazer will be in orange, so should the Trax.

I took her to sit in a Trax, she seemed to like it a little bit.  If we go that route, it would need to be a base, FWD version.  They come with alloys, but like zero "cool" colors (black, white, gray, silver... no green, no orange.)  The MSRP also scares her, but with typical heavy GM discounts, the price would be in line with the foreign jobs.  The Spark comes in plenty of "cool" colors, including orange, but she thinks it is too small.

A Bolt is completely out of the question, with its high price and no place to charge it.  Sonic and Spark are decent, but low-riding.  She and her BF both complain about that in the Forte.  Equinox is too big and too expensive.  She loved her 2012 Soul.  The cheapest Soul LX with CVT is over $20k now.  There is nothing cheap anymore.  Her current lease is not up until December of this year.

Edited by ocnblu

Trax was previously available in orange, seen many in orange.

Weird bit of randomness..though I always rail against FWD/transverse 4cyl 'generics', I have to say I do enjoy driving my sister's Trax...for what it is, it does a good job.  Comfortable, enough power to get out of it's own way,  quiet at idle, pretty smooth at highway speeds...easy to park.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Robert Hall said:

Trax was previously available in orange, seen many in orange.

We just replaced a door on an orange 2015 Trax.  Color was easier to match than I feared.

That '57 Chevy pic.  Just Mother Nature reclaiming what is rightfully hers. 

Sad for the Chevy. Great for the tree! 

That FWD truck and chapel pic.

Somehow, Dean Martin came to my mind.

• Upvote 1

IIRC FWD made a motor home in the 70s.  Always wondered it if was pronounced as three letters or  like ‘fwid’.  

Edited by Robert Hall

Honda Pilot vs. Ford Explorer, MotorTrend Comparison

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-honda-pilot-vs-2020-ford-explorer-comparison/

"this is the most disappointing new vehicle I've driven since the Ford Ranger. I can't believe an all-new, from-the-ground-up vehicle could feel so cheap and old. There's not any one thing wrong with the Explorer; it's more like everything is wrong"

"To sum things up, Ford had plenty of time to overtake the top-quality Pilot by building a better Explorer. But as is, it feels only half-finished, with questionable build quality and quality control issues hurting its chances against the SUV stalwart that is the Pilot. The Explorer will need some serious improvements to match the old Honda. But let's not forget, this is the company that was the first to abandon the car in the North American market to focus on SUVs. Even so, the new Explorer is a swing and a miss from Ford, while the Pilot, remains a stand-up double."

What a shame for Ford

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, ykX said:

Honda Pilot vs. Ford Explorer, MotorTrend Comparison

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-honda-pilot-vs-2020-ford-explorer-comparison/

"this is the most disappointing new vehicle I've driven since the Ford Ranger. I can't believe an all-new, from-the-ground-up vehicle could feel so cheap and old. There's not any one thing wrong with the Explorer; it's more like everything is wrong"

"To sum things up, Ford had plenty of time to overtake the top-quality Pilot by building a better Explorer. But as is, it feels only half-finished, with questionable build quality and quality control issues hurting its chances against the SUV stalwart that is the Pilot. The Explorer will need some serious improvements to match the old Honda. But let's not forget, this is the company that was the first to abandon the car in the North American market to focus on SUVs. Even so, the new Explorer is a swing and a miss from Ford, while the Pilot, remains a stand-up double."

What a shame for Ford

I just read this a few minutes ago and it sounds like a big-ole mess. 

The only thing that seemed off was the Sync 3 comments as I haven't heard a bad thing about it until that review. 

58 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I just read this a few minutes ago and it sounds like a big-ole mess. 

The only thing that seemed off was the Sync 3 comments as I haven't heard a bad thing about it until that review. 

I sat in a 2020 Explorer at the auto show last weekend.  I like the dark brown paint.  It's a good looking midsize SUV, but the interior looked and felt cheap...  Should have taken pics..the plastic trim on the side of the seat was loose, some of the dash trim was loose.   Knobs on dash felt cheap and like they would break off easily.   As can be seen in the photo in the Motor Trend article linked above, the trim on the driver's door around the door handle was loose with a huge gap.  Nothing about it felt more appealing to me than my 6 yr old Grand Cherokee.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I sat in a 2020 Explorer at the auto show last weekend.  I like the dark brown paint.  It's a good looking midsize SUV, but the interior looked and felt cheap...  Should have taken pics..the plastic trim on the side of the seat was loose, some of the dash trim was loose.   Knobs on dash felt cheap and like they would break off easily. 

I'd give a little break to an auto-show car are they are trailer-ed around from city to city each time having hundreds or thousands of people getting in and out of them each weekend and touching everything they can. 

Buuuut, I haven't heard much good about the vehicle so, regardless, it still doesn't sound that great for the vehicle.

Edited by ccap41
9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'd give a little break to an auto-show car are they are trailer-ed around from city to city each time having hundreds or thousands of people getting in and out of them each weekend and touching everything they can. 

Buuuut, I haven't heard much good about the vehicle so, regardless, it still doesn't sound that great for the vehicle.

Agree with you and everyone else, have not heard of good things about the Exploder.

The Seattle auto show does not have auto's that are trucked around the country, they actually come from dealership lots locally and from my understanding all the auto show are done this way and have been for the last 10 years or so. Only thing trucked is the concepts and truly new releases that have not shipped out to the dealerships yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Agree with you and everyone else, have not heard of good things about the Exploder.

The Seattle auto show does not have auto's that are trucked around the country, they actually come from dealership lots locally and from my understanding all the auto show are done this way and have been for the last 10 years or so. Only thing trucked is the concepts and truly new releases that have not shipped out to the dealerships yet.

That's a good point. STL is the same way, it's a crappy dealer show. I forgot about that. 

There are probably only a handful that are actually sponsored by the manufacturers themselves. 

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I think it's that way here also, local dealers bringing in inventory.   Cleveland Auto Show is dealer sponsored. Held in a  2,200,000-square-foot exhibition center...

Edited by Robert Hall