Random Thoughts Thread

I have to say that Genesis in the U.S. is missing out on some lovely auto's that the brand carries in South Korea. They have a standard and Sport edition.

Love the G70 Shooting Brake (Station Wagon)

Genesis G70 Shooting Brake – Luxury Hatch-hinge | GENESIS

image.png

Loving the Sport Edition in their green color.

image.png

Configured up how I would like it.

image.png

$61,170,000 Korean Won = $45,932.55 U.S. Dollars

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

It's too bad the US is so fixated on trucks, SUVs and CUVs..there are many wagons sold elsewhere that would be nice here...or wagon versions of US market sedans.   I loved the looks of the CTS wagon 15 years ago, a modern CT5 wagon would be sweet... 

Agree, I am seeing some quality Photoshops that would be awesome to have here in the U.S.

I love this guys work, as this would sell now if they had it I believe.

cadillac-ct5-luxury-wagon.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, David said:

Agree, I am seeing some quality Photoshops that would be awesome to have here in the U.S.

I love this guys work, as this would sell now if they had it I believe.

cadillac-ct5-luxury-wagon.jpg

Gorgeous....I'd drive that..esp. in that dark green. 

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, David said:

I have to say that Genesis in the U.S. is missing out on some lovely auto's that the brand carries in South Korea. They have a standard and Sport edition.

Love the G70 Shooting Brake (Station Wagon)

Genesis G70 Shooting Brake – Luxury Hatch-hinge | GENESIS

image.png

Loving the Sport Edition in their green color.

image.png

Configured up how I would like it.

image.png

$61,170,000 Korean Won = $45,932.55 U.S. Dollars

Because I'm an old geezer who misses the Roadmaster, I'd want a G90 Estate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

18 hours ago, David said:

image.png

I'm going to go out on a limb here:

At first glance and because of that angled and slightly curved panel behind the rear passenger door, I immediately thought of the Taurus/Sable wagons that were hewn from the very jellybean Taurus/Sable sedans of the mid to late '90s.

8 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

It's too bad the US is so fixated on trucks, SUVs and CUVs..there are many wagons sold elsewhere that would be nice here...or wagon versions of US market sedans.   I loved the looks of the CTS wagon 15 years ago, a modern CT5 wagon would be sweet... 

I agree with this.  While not a bumper crop, there have been some attractive wagons.

- - - - -

What I was really going to say:

I think about this every now and then.

When I was a teenager and we went to pick out a dog from an ad I found in the L.A. Times, I look back on that and remember how the puppy's parents weren't that fazed by our handling, picking up, and walking away with her ... after paying, of course.  You're essentially walking off with their offspring.

Then, when our dog had some pups, she was not too weirded out by people coming into our backyard, accompanied by us, and checking out, buying, and leaving with her pups.

I was wondering if this is sort of normal.  Dogs are so damn smart that I wonder how they process these "transactions."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

When I was a teenager and we went to pick out a dog from an ad I found in the L.A. Times, I look back on that and remember how the puppy's parents weren't that fazed by our handling, picking up, and walking away with her ... after paying, of course.  You're essentially walking off with their offspring.

Then, when our dog had some pups, she was not too weirded out by people coming into our backyard, accompanied by us, and checking out, buying, and leaving with her pups.

I was wondering if this is sort of normal.  Dogs are so damn smart that I wonder how they process these "transactions."

Very interesting..I wonder also...last spring when we adopted two sibling puppies (and later a third) from a local breeder, we went to their house which was clean and spotless, the dogs beautiful....met the parent dogs and they were great, beautiful well-behaved Yorkies.  The 3 pups are almost a year old now, need a grooming..got their long winter coats..here they are in my office last week under my desk along w/ senior Aussie terrier Raine.

IMG_2171.jpg

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

It's probably like a wild animal knowing that they will be parting ways with their young, but it could be that dogs project their relationship with their human onto their offspring.  The parents probably get a decent sniff test on the humans looking at their pups.  Dogs can read a person's character fairly accurately.

I'd be interested in knowing what the experts would say about this situation.

• Agree 1

Front end looks like all the other Rivians, but they have R2 on the website and a 33 second video with the front end sneak peak before the big reveal.

Rivian - R2

Today SuperCruise has been expanded to 750,000 miles from the original 400,000 miles.

GM Expands Super Cruise Network to 750,000 Hands-Free Miles, Largest in North America

Full disclaimer: As well as being a wagon fan, I am a huge van fan. I spent the first 14 years of my life going everywhere in my dad's '71 Chevy Sport 10 van (and a 3 on the tree to boot). Like the wagon, they have a unique history in this country and have shunned for the same dumb reasons.

I also said I would never buy a VW but if I did, this would be it. Room galore in the classic van sense while being the same relative length as the Atlas. If they can get the range up, it would be worth considering if the money is ever there for me lol. I say all this because I came across a short video walk around of it and I dig about 95% of the ID Buzz Long Wheelbase, The video gives a pretty good look at it too. Put some classic dome wheel covers on it and SOLD!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Full disclaimer: As well as being a wagon fan, I am a huge van fan. I spent the first 14 years of my life going everywhere in my dad's '71 Chevy Sport 10 van (and a 3 on the tree to boot). Like the wagon, they have a unique history in this country and have shunned for the same dumb reasons.

I also said I would never buy a VW but if I did, this would be it. Room galore in the classic van sense while being the same relative length as the Atlas. If they can get the range up, it would be worth considering if the money is ever there for me lol. I say all this because I came across a short video walk around of it and I dig about 95% of the ID Buzz Long Wheelbase, The video gives a pretty good look at it too. Put some classic dome wheel covers on it and SOLD!

The long wheel base does rock. I can see it really taking off with solid-state batteries for a much longer range. Very cool

• Agree 1

On 2/16/2024 at 8:32 PM, surreal1272 said:

Chevy van

These two words automatically bring this to mind:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ry59qsl2R8c&si=LydZ5y8B5RoeF-gm

Definitely not in my collection ...

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1

Instead of "what are you listening to?" it would be "what are you watching?"  This showed up and I saw a Pontiac.  (Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles tended to have twin symmetrical split grilles, while Chevys, Buicks, and Cadillacs tended to have a centered single one.) I had never heard of such a film nor its chase.

So, we've got a Pontiac Ventura, hopefully with a V8, chasing the largest of Pontiacs with bad guys in it.  Roy Scheider is in the Ventura.  The footage over the GW Bridge is well done.  How this ends is surprising and highly unlikely.  I might have to look at this film.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:54 PM, David said:

I knew EV myth believing was bad in the U.S. but to see it in so many European countries is surprising.

Charged EVs | New survey finds myths and misinformation about EVs are deeply embedded - Charged EVs

It's kind of funny that you thought those humans are different than humans in the US. 

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2024 at 4:17 PM, trinacriabob said:

Instead of "what are you listening to?" it would be "what are you watching?"  This showed up and I saw a Pontiac.  (Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles tended to have twin symmetrical split grilles, while Chevys, Buicks, and Cadillacs tended to have a centered single one.) I had never heard of such a film nor its chase.

So, we've got a Pontiac Ventura, hopefully with a V8, chasing the largest of Pontiacs with bad guys in it.  Roy Scheider is in the Ventura.  The footage over the GW Bridge is well done.  How this ends is surprising and highly unlikely.  I might have to look at this film.

Good film...I've seen it a couple of times.  One of the actors in it--the middle aged guy w/ glasses driving the Pontiac Grand Ville--was the same stunt driver that drove the black Dodge Charger in 1968's 'Bullitt'... 

31 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Looks like a Taycan Knockoff and a bad knockoff at that.

Yeah, I can see that...with McLaren-inspired headlights.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Looks like a Taycan Knockoff and a bad knockoff at that.

True, but it is not the terrible Tesla or Mercedes jelly bean look.

4 hours ago, David said:

Chinese knockoff is a pretty awful look. The Model 3 and S aren't bad looking. they're quite attractive and at least have their own styling. 

The Mercs are awful and bland. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:51 AM, David said:

I think I saw that an exec at M-B was commenting about future M-B EVs have to look like M-B cars and not look like jelly beans.  I think they realize they went too far.  

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I think I saw that an exec at M-B was commenting about future M-B EVs have to look like M-B cars and not look like jelly beans.  I think they realize they went too far.  

Good to hear because they are pretty awful for what you're getting. I'm sure they're all great overall vehicles between performance and available luxuries but they just look so bad. 

• Agree 1

Who would have thought that Honda could make a better Blazer than Chevy? 

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2024-honda-prologue-ev-first-drive-review/

"Here again we ask you don't get ahead of us. You may have heard about the software problems Chevy is having with the Blazer EV, particularly its new CarPlay-free infotainment system. None of that applies to the Prologue. Honda has installed its own hardware and software, and yes, it not only keeps CarPlay and Android Auto but also makes them standard and wireless to boot. On top of that, it'll project Apple Maps in the instrument cluster if you want, though frustratingly not Google Maps for those who prefer it. ...

Not only does it ride better than the Chevy, but it still handles sweetly. The Prologue sweeps around curves with a natural fluidity that's as appreciated as it is unexpected. It leans on its springs and dampers in the controlled and deliberate way the best sports cars do. Again, it doesn't encourage you to drive it like a sports car, it just makes a nice backroad drive more pleasant. ...

On the other hand, Honda has derated charging to a peak speed of 150 kW while the Chevy and Cadillac pull 190 kW. As a result, the Prologue needs 35 minutes to charge from 20 percent to 80 percent on a fast charger, which is already uncompetitive before you consider that most automakers report 10 percent to 80 percent charging time, where the Prologue will take even longer. Honda says this was done to ensure battery longevity, which means it either knows something GM doesn't about GM's battery or it's just being conservative. ...

At $48,795 to start, it's way cheaper than its $56,715 Chevy cousin at the moment (we don't know what the front-drive Blazer EV will cost, yet) and right on top of a Tesla Model Y Dual-Motor Long Range (rear-drive Teslas are a few thousand dollars cheaper but get a smaller battery and only 260 miles of range). For that price, you get wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, automatic dual-zone climate control, HondaSensing safety tech, heated front seats, all the built-in Google features, automatic LED headlights and high-beams, the full-size instrument cluster and infotainment screens, heated mirrors, and a wireless phone charger. Oh, and 296 miles of range."

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Who would have thought that Honda could make a better Blazer than Chevy? 

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2024-honda-prologue-ev-first-drive-review/

"Here again we ask you don't get ahead of us. You may have heard about the software problems Chevy is having with the Blazer EV, particularly its new CarPlay-free infotainment system. None of that applies to the Prologue. Honda has installed its own hardware and software, and yes, it not only keeps CarPlay and Android Auto but also makes them standard and wireless to boot. On top of that, it'll project Apple Maps in the instrument cluster if you want, though frustratingly not Google Maps for those who prefer it. ...

Not only does it ride better than the Chevy, but it still handles sweetly. The Prologue sweeps around curves with a natural fluidity that's as appreciated as it is unexpected. It leans on its springs and dampers in the controlled and deliberate way the best sports cars do. Again, it doesn't encourage you to drive it like a sports car, it just makes a nice backroad drive more pleasant. ...

On the other hand, Honda has derated charging to a peak speed of 150 kW while the Chevy and Cadillac pull 190 kW. As a result, the Prologue needs 35 minutes to charge from 20 percent to 80 percent on a fast charger, which is already uncompetitive before you consider that most automakers report 10 percent to 80 percent charging time, where the Prologue will take even longer. Honda says this was done to ensure battery longevity, which means it either knows something GM doesn't about GM's battery or it's just being conservative. ...

At $48,795 to start, it's way cheaper than its $56,715 Chevy cousin at the moment (we don't know what the front-drive Blazer EV will cost, yet) and right on top of a Tesla Model Y Dual-Motor Long Range (rear-drive Teslas are a few thousand dollars cheaper but get a smaller battery and only 260 miles of range). For that price, you get wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, automatic dual-zone climate control, HondaSensing safety tech, heated front seats, all the built-in Google features, automatic LED headlights and high-beams, the full-size instrument cluster and infotainment screens, heated mirrors, and a wireless phone charger. Oh, and 296 miles of range."

Lets correct one thing!

HONDA DID NOT install their own hardware / software!!!

They are using the same Android Auto Controller system that I have posted about here in other stories as GM. The difference is they took the full Android Software with Android Auto and Apple Carplay and customized the look to look like Honda, but just like Hyundai/Kia/Genesis which is using the same Snapdragon QUALCOMM Controller/Software stack, they took the safe route of making it Look Honda but a solid established auto system.

GM FAILED here in that they want to control the Dollars, so they turned off the Android Auto / Apple Carplay and stores and created their own using the API SDK for the same hardware set. This is where they failed to test and truly deliver an experience on par to the Android Auto / Apple Carplay system that we all love.

Ford and GM will fall behind as I feel those auto companies that bring out their auto system supporting what the public is used too and share the money with Google will win over trying to keep the 100% to themselves when they are so far behind in the software development system.

GM is going to have a hard time keeping up with Google and the updates they do to the Android Auto system that supports both cell phone formats. Google and Apple are too far ahead I fear for GM or Ford to catch up. IMHO

Honda is also failing in their conservative approach as people do not want to wait and the slower charge speed is not a good way to introduce your customers to EVs.

GM on the other hand is also failing as they give maximum charging speed to Cadillac and much slower across their other product lines.

Since charging speed at home and on the road are real valid concerns, GM can win sales by having the best charging speed available on ALL MODELS from ALL BRANDS.

12 hours ago, David said:

Lets correct one thing!

HONDA DID NOT install their own hardware / software!!!

Pure semantics (although Honda did, in fact, install their own form of the software) as the bigger point was made and confirmed by your post. GM screwed up six ways from Sunday by going their own way with the software side of things. ZERO background in it prior but "HEY! We're GM! Let's a proven tech and make it absolute hot garbage in form and execution".

On a side note...

Not four months ago, I caught absolute hell (although less so the last three months because well, you know 😎) for pointing out GMs screw ups, knowing all I had to do was sit back let GM speak for themselves and now here we are. I am not saying GM can't or won't figure this out but the next time a fanfic tells me "That was forty years ago GM", I am going to point to this and the host of other screw ups brought on by GM as my vindication lol. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, David said:

Ford and GM will fall behind as I feel those auto companies that bring out their auto system supporting what the public is used too and share the money with Google will win over trying to keep the 100% to themselves when they are so far behind in the software development system.

Why are you grouping Ford with GM here? To the best of my knowledge, Ford has not announced abandoning CarPlay or AndroidAuto. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Why are you grouping Ford with GM here? To the best of my knowledge, Ford has not announced abandoning CarPlay or Android Auto. 

I will stand corrected as I see Ford CEO in Dec 15 2023 confirmed that they were moving forward with Google on the Qualcomm Android system in supporting the use of Android Auto and Apple Carplay system. 

I lumped Ford in with GM as a year earlier with the Qualcomm Announcement they said they would protect the data by not using the cell phone connectivity. I guess customers have spoken and Ford has changed back to replacing Sync in all their ICE and EV autos with the use of Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

That I am very happy about. 

I tried to find the story I wrote about the Qualcomm Android Auto system where GM and Ford along with a few others had stated in moving to this system they would protect customers data by not allowing Android Auto / Apple Carplay and would use the software API SDK to create their own software interface. 

I did a quick search across the news stories but could not find that story. 

Yet THANK YOU, having found the news stories on Ford CEO in December 2023 stating they will stick with the ability to use it is GREAT and I am very happy for that as I think GM is making a BIG BIG BIG mistake.

Yet it is a switch that they can flip back on. Hopefully Mary and team will get their act together and turn on the support for Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

• Thanks 1

Interesting another one bites the dust. Mercedes that had in 2021 said it would be an EV only company by 2030 has in their Q4 call stated they will not put an end date on ICE, and they are now aiming to have 50% of global sales as EV.

Mercedes Benz ditches plan to sell only EVs by 2030 (msn.com)

Mercedes-Benz Group 2023 results*: Cash generation at work | Mercedes-Benz Media

• Like 1

This is why GM will FAIL in not providing Android Auto and Apple Carplay. As they update and make changes faster than GM has ever been able to do.

Apple's grand plans for CarPlay start with an exciting upgrade inside iOS 17.4 (msn.com)

This is not boding well for the U.S. economy this year.

The Bond Market Is Doing Something Not Seen in Decades. It Could Signal Trouble in the Stock Market. (msn.com)

Nice sunny Sunday.  Went to the Cleveland Auto Show.  Some highlights…saw thr Cybertruck.  Bigger and uglier in person than in photos.  I like the S650 Mustang, though still prefer the S550 styling.   The Cadillac Escalade IQ is bigger in person than in photos.  Love the Lyriq rear end. I love the C8 Corvette.  Sat in the blue one.   The red CT5 is really calling my name.  There were classics on display also, took a bunch of pics of the ‘66 Toro for my sister.  She wants one, she’s wanted one since it came out and she was 9.   Relaxing now at Hofbrauhaus downtown.  Time flies, can’t believe March 1 is coming up. (Quarterly stock grant time). 

And in unrelated good news, had my annual review and got a promotion to Staff Software Engineer.  

IMG_2422.jpeg

IMG_2423.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2450.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2456.jpeg

IMG_2457.jpeg

IMG_2459.jpeg

IMG_2460.jpeg

IMG_2474.jpeg

IMG_2476.jpeg

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2479.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Very interesting read.

China's crackdown on American businesses leaves investors in the U.S. wary (msn.com)

OUCH and the Recall Hits keep coming.

Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen among 2.3 million vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here (msn.com)

Seems Ford is having to do a recall after dealerships cut corners and did not replace airbags.

Very cool research. South Korea is leading the way in Organic batteries that are now holding 91% charge after 1,000 plus charge cycles.

Diluents Effect on Inhibiting Dissolution of Organic Electrode for Highly Reversible Li‐Ion Batteries - Lee - 2024 - Advanced Energy Materials - Wiley Online Library

This could lead to very cheap batteries as well as a much cleaner storage medium.

I have to say that when they announced the Escalade IQ I was excited for moving from my current Escalade to this. Now that GM has truly moved away from supporting Android Auto and Apple Carplay and with the whole Coupe style to EVs. After having seen the photo's here in this story, I am disappointed.
2025-Cadillac-Escalade-IQ-Sport-Flare-Me

2025 Cadillac Escalade IQ In Flare Metallic Paint: On The Road Photos (cadillacsociety.com)

I am loving the images of the interior, but the back end is leaving me disappointed. :( 

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I don't hate the looks of their current lineup for their respective segments. That next gen Enclave looks AWFUL though. It's almost the definition of a badge-job. They changed the badges and front fascia and called it a day. 

Yup the Badge engineering has come around to be terrible again.

2020 Chevrolet Blazer Turbo Review: Is It Worth It?

Buick Enclave.jpg

• Agree 1

On 2/28/2024 at 7:11 AM, David said:

OUCH Major recall as Toyota axel can separate from the auto causing a crash.

Toyota Announces New Recall: Over 683,000 Vehicles Affected In A Week (msn.com)

I didn't vote laugh because of the content, which is serious and sad.

I voted laugh because ...

There's an axle ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfXTNOaZWAYZV4Up5hhh2

... and then there's Axel Foley

• Haha 2

What I had really meant to say:

It's not news that we're living in ways that are more and more disconnected.  

Cell phones are great, especially in public places and on transport.  However, some people, and even "older" people, now think that "conversations" can be carried on in their entirety on a cell phone.  It's so bad that a sibling's kids couldn't call their grandmother (my mom) for her birthday because, well, it was relayed to her that 'they only text.'  (They have to use a phone at their jobs.)  Have I mentioned that I don't like most millennials?

So, what I've got with a few people is that they want to have conversations this way.  It turns out that their texts dribble in over a 4-hour period on a given day or evening when I'm not expecting them.  If you decide to have a phone call, you can consolidate what you have to say across the span of those 4 hours by thinking about what you need to talk about and getting it down to 30 minutes or so.  And then it's done.

The most normal friends I know text briefly for 1 or 2 iterations and then we set up a time to talk every 2 weeks to a month apart.

* end of rant *

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

What I had really meant to say:

It's not news that we're living in ways that are more and more disconnected.  

Cell phones are great, especially in public places and on transport.  However, some people, and even "older" people, now think that "conversations" can be carried on in their entirety on a cell phone.  It's so bad that a sibling's kids couldn't call their grandmother (my mom) for her birthday because, well, it was relayed to her that 'they only text.'  (They have to use a phone at their jobs.)  Have I mentioned that I don't like most millennials?

So, what I've got with a few people is that they want to have conversations this way.  It turns out that their texts dribble in over a 4-hour period on a given day or evening when I'm not expecting them.  If you decide to have a phone call, you can consolidate what you have to say across the span of those 4 hours by thinking about what you need to talk about and getting it down to 30 minutes or so.  And then it's done.

The most normal friends I know text briefly for 1 or 2 iterations and then we set up a time to talk every 2 weeks to a month apart.

* end of rant *

I am a hybrid type of person, some things are just easier to do to stay connected through out the day that text msg just works better for than a couple of seconds call. If it is family or a special event like birthday, anniversary, etc. I totally agree that a phone call is required.

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I didn't vote laugh because of the content, which is serious and sad.

I voted laugh because ...

There's an axle ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfXTNOaZWAYZV4Up5hhh2

... and then there's Axel Foley

Considering the Toyota Frame failures and now axel failures, I agree sad if anyone gets hurt, but way to funny that peeps think Toyota is this perfect company.

The Beverly Hills Cop series is still great to watch even today. Yup some politically incorrect moments in the films, but they were part of that generation.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, David said:

Considering the Toyota Frame failures and now axel failures, I agree sad if anyone gets hurt, but way to funny that peeps think Toyota is this perfect company.

There are fanboys of every company though. I know people who think GM is perfect, Ford is perfect, Toyota, Honda, Merc, BMW, Audi, etc. 

Somebody here was trying to convince others that the Ultium rollout hasn't been a complete shtshow. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

There are fanboys of every company though. I know people who think GM is perfect, Ford is perfect, Toyota, Honda, Merc, BMW, Audi, etc. 

Somebody here was trying to convince others that the Ultium rollout hasn't been a complete shtshow. 

Yes, they started the Ultium rollout well and then it went downhill from there. Sad that GM could not bring in new fresh blood that knew how to build software and instead relied on old, outdated approach by those playing politics. GM has really screwed up and I think this back peddle to hybrids will work in the short term, but they should have never walked away from it as they worked on their EVs. Volt 2.0 should have been rolled out into many other models while they worked to bring EVs on. 

Sadly, I think GM has given up the race to Hyundai/Kia/Genesis who is still moving forward with rolling out EVs while they sell hybrids.

Ford while excited for them, the recall problems across the board has me very hesitant to consider them. At least unlike GM they reversed course and committed to Android Auto and Apple Carplay. GM will find people will not be happy with that being taken away.

This is another pet peeve I have is that the Cadillac Lyriq will continue to support Android Auto and Apple Carplay, but the rest of the EV family will use GM's customer Android Software interface, not supporting the Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

At least Honda did it right with their Ultium Prologue in supporting the cell phones as they said, their customers stated that was a requirement to buy a new Honda auto.

Why GM cannot seem to understand this is beyond many folks including myself as I do not see buying another GM product as long as they do not support the cell phones.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Yes, they started the Ultium rollout well and then it went downhill from there.

It didn't even start well. The Hummer had issues almost immediately. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

Volt 2.0 should have been rolled out into many other models while they worked to bring EVs on. 

I can't agree more. I've said it since the beginning that they needed to plop that powertrain in a few other vehicles. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

At least unlike GM they reversed course and committed to Android Auto and Apple Carplay. GM will find people will not be happy with that being taken away.

When did they reverse course? When did they announce a move away from Android Auto/CarPlay and then say they were keeping them? How do I not remember this announcement?

2 hours ago, David said:

Consdering the Toyota Frame failures and now axel failures, I agree sad if anyone gets hurt, but way to funny that peeps think Toyota is this perfect company.

The Beverly Hills Cop series is still great to watch even today. Yup some politically incorrect moments in the films, but they were part of that generation.

Since I'm a spelling fanatic, I was just picking up on the aXLe transpo.  And capitalized on it to incorporate AXEl Foley. 

I only saw the first one. 

Every one knows all the lines to this skit.  Inimitably funny.

• Oh Yeah! 1

Ultium is a sound concept but GM's execution has been terrible. I would equate it to Alfa's rollout of the Giorgio platform that went horribly, but if you think about it, it has parallels.

Have you not noticed that no manufacturer, not GM, not Toyota, not VW, ever rolls out a truly all-new car?   When a new platform comes out, they usually carry over powertrains or pluck a newer powertrain that has been running in some other vehicle for a few years. Then, once they're 2 years in, there is an engine'/transmission update.  You used to be able to set your watch to the "All new Camry with same engine" / 2 years later / "Camry gets all new engine" / 3 years later / "All new Camry with the same engine" cadence.   The reason for that is that it is incredibly difficult to set up a whole vehicle platform AND engine / transmission platform all at the same time. The latest "all-new" CR-V came out in 2022, but the engine platform dates back to 2014 when it debuted in a mid-cycle refresh of an overseas market Honda Fit.

And that is why the Alfa Romeo Giorgio platform had so many issues at the beginning.  The Giorgio, which debuted under the Giulia and later the Stelvio, was the first truly "all-new" vehicle we've had in decades. It was a new platform, on a new production line, with a new engine. The only off-the-shelf component in that car was the ZF 8-speed automatic. These days, Giorgio seems to be doing just fine as the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Grand Cherokee L

Now take that task and multiply it by 10.  Not only did GM build a new platform, they built a new powertrain, and a new battery pack, and then they had to build the plants to build that battery pack, which they'd never done before. They called in LG for help, but it is still a massive undertaking.

The early Teslas were utter rubbish (some would argue they aren't much better today). Worse than anything GM is experiencing at the moment.  GM, for all its faults, at least had the wisdom to stop production so the issues could be addressed instead of pushing out sub-par beta-test products like Tesla did.  Keep in mind that the earliest Tesla Model-Ses are now 12 years old, one year OLDER than my Avalanche.

I've been in a battery presentation for Ultium, and I do believe that GM is on the right track.  Their modular design makes it easy to future-proof the design for new chemistries as they become available.  They'll get there, they're further ahead on the curve than Tesla was 12 years ago simply because, unlike Tesla, they can make a door that shuts properly.

• Educational 1

47 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The reason for that is that it is incredibly difficult to set up a whole vehicle platform AND engine / transmission platform all at the same time. The latest "all-new" CR-V came out in 2022, but the engine platform dates back to 2014 when it debuted in a mid-cycle refresh of an overseas market Honda Fit.

I actually assumed it was more about extracting more money out of a vehicle/platform. Brand new vehicles will spike sales, even with an old engine. Then in a year or two they add a new engine to spike sales again. Rinse and repeat.