Random Thoughts Thread

12 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Ok, I need some help identifying a movie.  I saw bits and pieces of it.  I want to get it and watch it without interruption.

It's an action-heist-thriller type movie.  Parts of it took place in Venice.  I saw the part in which they are after a big crate of something with valuables stashed in a palazzo (mansion) on or near the Grand Canal.  Someone set up explosives to only affect the concrete slabs where this crate of valuables was held up above.  When it went off, rectangular parts of the floor dropped and the crate went onto a boat in the "boat garage" on the canals and they sped off, after which I'm sure there was a chase scene.  It was a popular and successful movie.  I don't even remember which stars are in it.

That sounds like the 2003 remake of 'The Italian Job'.   I remember part of it was set in Venice.   Saw it in the theater back then, fun movie.  Had a Mini chase set in LA instead of the Alps like the original did. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317740/

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I want to go back.  I've only been once ... to Athens and also to 3 of the islands.

The next time it will be more of Athens, Corfu (Kerkyra), and possibly Zakynthos.  I love their food (seasoned and tasty without being spicy) and their pastries.

- - - - -

Ok, I need some help identifying a movie.  I saw bits and pieces of it.  I want to get it and watch it without interruption.

It's an action-heist-thriller type movie.  Parts of it took place in Venice.  I saw the part in which they are after a big crate of something with valuables stashed in a palazzo (mansion) on or near the Grand Canal.  Someone set up explosives to only affect the concrete slabs where this crate of valuables was held up above.  When it went off, rectangular parts of the floor dropped and the crate went onto a boat in the "boat garage" on the canals and they sped off, after which I'm sure there was a chase scene.  It was a popular and successful movie.  I don't even remember which stars are in it.

My dad's dad, my granddaddy, came from Zakynthos. My grandma from Ithaca.

My mom's side, everybody came from Kephalonia.  The 7 islands of the Ionian.  

Kephalonia being the largest of the 7.  Ithaca and Zakynthos being within swimming distance of Kephalonia. 

About that movie.

The remake of The Italian Job in 2003 starring 

Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, Seth Green, Edward Norton, and Montreal's own and superstar Donald Sutherland. 

And @Robert Hall   beat me to it!!!

Kudos to you Robert!!!   

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im glad that American Muscle is being enjoyed outside North America! 

Japan has a HUGE American Muscle scene, just have to wait like here in the US a few decades to import without restrictions those muscle cars one loves.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

My dad's dad, my granddaddy, came from Zakynthos. My grandma from Ithaca.

My mom's side, everybody came from Kephalonia.  The 7 islands of the Ionian.  

Kephalonia being the largest of the 7.  Ithaca and Zakynthos being within swimming distance of Kephalonia. 

About that movie.

The remake of The Italian Job in 2003 starring 

Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, Seth Green, Edward Norton, and Montreal's own and superstar Donald Sutherland. 

And @Robert Hall   beat me to it!!!

Kudos to you Robert!!!   

That's it!  And the title was so obvious.  Ok.  Efharisto!  It's on my to do list.

Even though it might be swimmable, I wouldn't do it.  I've got my reasons.  I've been liking lakes and swimming pools more and more over time.

• Haha 1

I made a mistake.  I said that Donald Sutherland was from Montreal.  He is not. He was born in Saint John, New Brunswick.    I do not know why I thought he was a Montreal native. Possibly because he frequented Montreal often in the 1980s?  Maybe he was a resident of Montreal then?

USDM FTR!!!

I love the fact that they race Dodge vans in Japan and these vans are called...Dajibans.  I just LOVE that word too.  Dajiban.  Dodge van.   Daji  ban.     Wax on, wax off, Daniel-son.      

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

That's it!  And the title was so obvious.  Ok.  Efharisto!  It's on my to do list.

Even though it might be swimmable, I wouldn't do it.  I've got my reasons.  I've been liking lakes and swimming pools more and more over time.

Yeah...like duh!

I didnt realize myself...   The ITALIAN Job...   DUH! 

Im afraid to ask about you not wanting to swim in the oceans and the seas.     Oddly enough, I dont like swimming in lakes.    I dont like the muddy, murkiness nature of lake water.  or at least the lakes that I have swam in Quebec. At least in those particular lakes anyhow.    Believe it or not, I get creeped out from lakes.  Nothing to get creeped out with, especially when compared to the oceans.  Sharks and jellyfish and all kinds of fish that can and will kill a human.  That does NOT creep me out. But safe, lake water scares me.    Something aint right with my head me thinks... 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

^ A lot of the concerns I've stated echoed here (cost & volume of buyers).

5% in the U.S. only 'preferring' BE for their next vehicle?? And they don't even quantify what span of years "next" might mean (could be 12 years out, or more).

Now... I don't consider a pool of 918 individuals representative AT ALL of the country at large, but that's terrible news for OEMs going all in, and embarrassments for politicians spending time trying to get localized bans written into law. Both should stop trying to force agendas and allow it to organically take place.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:48 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Believe it or not, I get creeped out from lakes.  Nothing to get creeped out with, especially when compared to the oceans.  Sharks and jellyfish and all kinds of fish that can and will kill a human.  That does NOT creep me out. But safe, lake water scares me.    Something aint right with my head me thinks... 

Maybe you watched the movie called "Lake Placid."  It's kind of hokey, with a dumb premise and not that much suspense.

There are great whites in the Med.  They track the attacks and the percentage of which are fatal.  Most of them were, in fact, in Italy and Greece, both with a lot of coastline.  Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt had a shark problem a couple of years ago, which the locals supposedly underreported, and which angered a lot of people, to keep their critical tourist business levels normal. 

- - - - -

Coincidentally, I was at the supermarket today.  Within the last few weeks, I had a cup of Greek yogurt with the flavor of Toasted Marshmallow.  I didn't know if I'd like it or not.  It was beyond delicious.  Today, I couldn't find that particular flavor.

Some servers in bar/pub joints handle this situation differently.  I recently had a very good pizza and ordered a soft drink, like I usually do.  I wasn't charged for the soft drink when she put the tab on my table.  It's probably because they sell so much liquor.  They know that, if a person notices that omission, it will go right into their tip, unless the person is a total cheapskate.  It went into her tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Maybe you watched the movie called "Lake Placid."  It's kind of hokey, with a dumb premise and not that much suspense.

There are great whites in the Med.  They track the attacks and the percentage of which are fatal.  Most of them were, in fact, in Italy and Greece, both with a lot of coastline.  Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt had a shark problem a couple of years ago, which the locals supposedly underreported, and which angered a lot of people, to keep their critical tourist business levels normal. 

- - - - -

Coincidentally, I was at the supermarket today.  Within the last few weeks, I had a cup of Greek yogurt with the flavor of Toasted Marshmallow.  I didn't know if I'd like it or not.  It was beyond delicious.  Today, I couldn't find that particular flavor.

Some servers in bar/pub joints handle this situation differently.  I recently had a very good pizza and ordered a soft drink, like I usually do.  I wasn't charged for the soft drink when she put the tab on my table.  It's probably because they sell so much liquor.  They know that, if a person notices that omission, it will go right into their tip, unless the person is a total cheapskate.  It went into her tip.

I havent watched the movie Lake Placid.  Heard of it, never seen it.  Maybe I watch it someday.  I will look out for it. 

Sharks in Greece and Italy?  Yeah!  They dont bother me as I know there are dolphins that will save me from them.  THIS is my justification for not being afraid of the Mediterranean. And yes, Im being serious!

Quebec lakes...look how scary this fish looks.    It swims fast and it could spear me instead of me spearing it.

Québec : comprendre le comportement du maskinongé pour mieux le pêcher !

And you know...Canadian lakes and some American ones too, have this scary thing lurking in the deep. Sure its nice and cute when its this small

Seasonal lake sturgeon releases

But the damn thing grows.  20 feet. As long as a freakin' Great White. And let me tell you, there arent any dolphins around... 

This one is from B.C.  

RIVER MONSTER ADVENTURES | BC Sturgeon Fishing Tours In Fraser River Canyon

But look at the boat and the name of the company and you tell me why I shouldnt shyte my pants.  LOL

Massive 'Pig Nose' white sturgeon caught near Lillooet | CBC News

Sturgeon fish this big is extremely rare these days. : r/pics

It even breaches the water like a Great White.

Video: Massive sturgeon leaps out of water nearly sinking kayak | Daily  Mail Online

I am being funny though. I aint  scared.    But my creepiness for lake water is very real for whatever reason. 

Greek yogurt that tastes like roasted marshmallow?  Sounds intriguing.  Only in America would they think of something like that! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I haven’t swam in a lake since I was a kid. I’ve been canoeing and boating on lakes as an adult, thinking about taking up kayaking or canoeing.   So many lakes and rivers in NE Ohio.   I miss having a swimming pool like I did in Arizona, was very relaxing.  I don’t really like public pools.  

• Agree 1

Family used to have a cabin lakefront in upstate NY- my grandfather built it in 1970 and growing up my family went there every summer. Hiked thru the woods, explored around the railroad & the old mine works, swam every day. My grandfather spread lots of coarse sand well out, so it was great to walk in / swim. You could see your feet at chest depth. There was a 'float' a ways out, a row boat, I took my sons there many summers, my sister took her girls there. Sold in 2013 as everyone's priorities slowly changed, my grandmother had entered dementia and my other grandfather local to there came to be at odds with our side of the family, and other family/friends there passed away.  

39 Graham 00.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

We had no cable TV, and antenna reception sucked, so we never watched TV up there. Certainly no computers in the '70s/ '80s /90s. Real simple living, a ton of time outdoors. Kids today would be mostly bored, I expect. I think it worked so well for me, mu sister & brother growing up was the people; our immediate family, extended family, locals to the lake, etc. 

This Large Mouth came out of that lake, 7th largest in the state that year, 7lb 1 oz, 24” long. Other than teaching my sons to fish, I haven’t fished since, almost 40 years now. 

8E5359A6-EFC5-4954-AC54-B211D7E9D92E.jpeg

• Agree 1

Reminds me of my childhood 'farm' in some respects... 130 wooded acres out in the middle of nowhere, 2 large ponds on the property, we were lucky if we could get 2 channels w/ an antenna (until my Dad installed a satellite dish in the early 80s).   Alas, after my mother's death in 2016, my idiot brother has made it impossible to visit and enjoy the property.  

Hope to sell it eventually (my brother has been trying to sell but ignores the fact my sister and I also co-owners) and buy a vacation property close to Lake Erie...

• Agree 1

My wife & I breezily talk about 'where we would move to' when retired... but all we end up achieving is "Well, we're not moving there!" via some news story or learned factoid / weather events/ etc. The 'crossed-off' list slowly grows.

I would be fine in a very rural setting but she's a city girl.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

My wife & I breezily talk about 'where we would move to' when retired... but all we end up achieving is "Well, we're not moving there!" via some news story or learned factoid / weather events/ etc. The 'crossed-off' list slowly grows.

I've done very rural before (family farm is 90 miles south of here in very rural E Ohio), college towns, small cities, big cities, a resort town/island, and suburbia...

I think ultimately I'd like to stay close to a major city w/ great hospitals and health care (always important as one gets older), plenty of arts/culture, plenty of diverse restaurants, an airport, close to beaches and parks...so maybe 30-40 min outside of Cleveland close to Lake Erie in a semi-rural setting will be my next move...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

It's sort of a coveted thing to live in the hilly parts of Los Angeles and its suburbs.  However, these guys always make the news, since they live in and roam those hillside canyons ... and get a little too close, sometimes.

d23ae0e1-da77-40c4-8727-c0e81dc805df-240

Maybe it's safer, and cheaper (not at all, really), to live in "the flats."

- - - - -

@balthazar  Where's the Los Angeles area on your list?  

• Agree 1

Other than a plane-change in LAX a long time ago- I've never been to the West Coast.
The weather sounds lovely, but many aspects of State regulations don't appeal.

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

great hospitals and health care (always important as one gets older)

That's a terrifically pertinent point.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Other than a plane-change in LAX a long time ago- I've never been to the West Coast.
The weather sounds lovely, but many aspects of State regulations don't appeal.

That's a terrifically pertinent point.

What I love for the most part about Washington, mild winter weather, solid health care and a pay as you go state, so no state income tax, just a basic 10% sales tax. Nice part is you can be just a few hours from the core of Seattle and be very rural and still only be 30 min from the downtown of smaller surrounding cities.

I DO NOT handle heat well at all, so I will never move to the southern states. For me, it would appear that we will stay in this house till death do us part as the wife wants to stay close to the kids. Good thing I bought back in 1999 as it was cheap and this was rural then, now considered Suburbs.

• Agree 2

I don't think I'd want to live anywhere colder than NE Ohio.  I like how it's hilly near here, and kind of a mix of the Midwest but more like PA and W. New York.  

I love the Northeast and New England region, but the winters are considerably colder, harsher and longer.    

Don't think I could live in the South (though I could see spending Jan-Feb in S. Florida or the Florida Keys).    I do love So Cal and the Front Range of Colorado, but both places are just too expensive to live anywhere really nice.    The Southwest, been there, done that.  Had enough desert for one lifetime.  The PNW is still an area I want to explore more...visited friends in Portland and Seattle before, but there is more I want to see...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, David said:

What I love for the most part about Washington, mild winter weather, solid health care and a pay as you go state, so no state income tax, just a basic 10% sales tax. Nice part is you can be just a few hours from the core of Seattle and be very rural and still only be 30 min from the downtown of smaller surrounding cities.

I DO NOT handle heat well at all, so I will never move to the southern states. For me, it would appear that we will stay in this house till death do us part as the wife wants to stay close to the kids. Good thing I bought back in 1999 as it was cheap and this was rural then, now considered Suburbs.

The sales tax stings when you purchase a new car.  Other than that, not bad.  Plus, IIRC, there is no sales tax on food at the grocery store.  Sometimes, just not filing a state income tax return is a nice thing.  Weird how Washington and Oregon are next to each other, but so different as to how taxes affect you.  Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, but their income tax rates are brutal because the marginal tax rates get very high at low levels of income.  Overall, as a whole, Washington is far more cosmopolitan and worldly than Oregon.  Portland is an overrated and overpriced river town.

Every single secondary market in the West has been "exposed," so real estate prices are high:  Denver, Sacramento, Phoenix, not to mention the PNW.  

I've lived in the South and I liked it for the short time I lived there.  Atlanta's difficult summer weather lasts about 2.5 months.  The rest of the year is great.  Some places in the South have 4 months of high heat.  I was discussing thermal comfort with a teacher in a continuing ed. class and she said that people do abhor high heat, but that extreme cold will finish you off faster than high heat.  That's true.

On some levels, California is not as prohibitive to live or retire in.  That's depending on where in it you live and if you've managed the house or condo purchase.  The other things that might be expensive are car insurance and fuel.  Groceries, utilities, and income taxes are decent.  Their income tax scales are very gradual and the brackets are very fair.  The issue with California is how it's now overpopulated, too scruffy and not updated, and even sort of "ghetto," for lack of a better word.

California to the PNW can be culture shock.  SoCal is, or was, socially free wheeling and sort of obnoxious.  NorCal is a little less so, because of the more P.C. Bay Area.  By comparison, the PNW is uptight.  I was once told, "You should move back to California.  We're liberal here."  I got more comments like that directed my way and it was hard to take.  (When I lived in Atlanta, even being a Yankee, I felt welcomed.)  California is certainly not conservative.  It has a more balanced mix than does WA or OR, though.

- - - - -

If Montreal's winter were more like a Boston or N.Y. winter, I would have probably attempted to live there at some point in the past.  I love that place and have felt very at home there.  Not so much in Toronto.  The big deterrent was that, to get any sort of license or board certification, you have to take the exams in French.  Mastering a language on a conversational level is one thing.  Mastering a language on a commercial level, including writing in it, is an entirely different ball game - much more difficult.

• Agree 2

Just read an article out of Kentucky, where they have what's called 'automotive property tax'. Article also calls it 'car tags', so perhaps it's akin to registration. However, in KY, they use a tax based on the rolling yearly value of your vehicle. The example used was that a 2014 F-150 cost $133 in 2021, but's going to cost $193 in 2022 due to that (year older now) truck being valued a lot higher (they use NADA values)- a 45% increase.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Just read an article out of Kentucky, where they have what's called 'automotive property tax'. Article also calls it 'car tags', so perhaps it's akin to registration. However, in KY, they use a tax based on the rolling yearly value of your vehicle. The example used was that a 2014 F-150 cost $133 in 2021, but's going to cost $193 in 2022 due to that (year older now) truck being valued a lot higher (they use NADA values)- a 45% increase.

Interesting to see it going up over time... I know some states have value tax for registration that decreases as the value declines..so the first year for a new car is the highest...Colorado and Arizona were like that.  Never saw it go up, but that was in the past.

Ohio is a flat rate... my Jeep is around $65/year.   Had I registered it in Arizona in 2017 when I bought it there, it would have probably been over $500/year. 

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

Thanks for posting this, it does make me realize that my auto tabs on like my Escalade have gone down every year, but this year it went up by $35 dollars as we have a lite rail tax being added to help pay for the system that is under construction and will open in 2024, working from Northgate here to the airport through Seattle, but south to Federal Way and North to Lynnwood open in 2024 so we will have that as a 40 year added tax to the auto tab cost.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting the FEAR EVs give to some as this editorial is pathetic, but understandable on how cherry-picking details fails the public in pushing writing like this out.

Opinion | Imagine Virginia’s traffic jam but with only electric vehicles - The Washington Post

You then have ones like this that use science to show that EVs actually do much better than ICE in a traffic jam like this.

Yes Batteries loose more than gas, but use less power than ICE when idling and for Tesla they have Camping mode, so a blanket and heated seats keeps you warmer than running an ICE auto at a much cheaper rate.

How Long Can A Tesla Keep You Warm In A Frozen Traffic Jam? "Dirty Tesla" Finds Out - CleanTechnica

Some Quotes from real people stuck in the traffic jam.

Tesla owners caught in the traffic jam and in one of the comments to his video, a user noted that a pregnant woman from the Facebook Tesla Divas group shared that she was stuck in her Tesla for 16 hours during the traffic jam. Her battery was at 74% and only dropped to 61% by the time she got home. She simply turned-on Camp Mode and slept.

To answer the Washington Post’s question, the Teslas did pretty well during 18 hours of freezing temperatures. He noted that he used solar at home to charge his cars but included the cost of electricity for those who may not have solar at home.

12 Hour Check-in

The Model Y battery level went from 91% down to 58%. It used 26.5 kWh at 0.16 per kWh, which would cost $4.22.

The Model X battery dropped from 90% to 47% and used 43 kWh at 0.16 per kWh, which would cost $6.88.

18 Hour Check-in

During this portion, he had lowered the inside temperatures of the cars to 60 degrees.

The Model Y battery went from 58% down to 48%, with 8 kWh used at 0.16 per kWh costing $1.28.

I agree with the Conclusion here:

Although he didn’t include the results for the Model X at 18 hours, it should be noted that it cost under $10 to stay warm in freezing conditions. However, as he emphasized, with planning for emergencies such as the Virginia icy traffic jam disaster, one could survive up to 36 hours in their car. He also noted that both ICEVs and EVs have their advantages and disadvantages during emergencies, but I want to emphasize that the average American who owns a gas car and thinks EVs are ill equipped to handle emergencies probably spent more than $10 to keep warm during this event — much more.

Typical misinformation, or FUD  (fear, uncertainty, and doubt), often permeates the collective during disasters such as the one in Virginia. And the Washington Post — which is a news organization with access to research, information, and data — chose not to use that and spread the idea that it would have been worse off with EVs than without.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, balthazar said:

There’s plenty of ‘cherry picking’ on both sides of the issue. A 100-kW Tesla in ‘Camping Mode’ is going to log a lot different results than a 62-kW Leaf.

True, but even the Nissan Leaf info that has been shared from last year's Texas Winter storm show they did pretty good. It makes sense that an EV would only need to run the electric seats and or heat pump / heater to stay warm rather than run everything the way an ICE would.

• Agree 1

Seems Tesla has revealed the refreshed Tesla S & X. Now comes with the Tesla Performance edition 3/Y headlamps which are adaptive headlights. CCS2 is now the global charge port, otherwise no real changes to the auto line.

Tesla Model S Refresh Revealed In Taiwan With New Features (insideevs.com)

Crazy that you pay 6 figures and now start to get the same equipment that comes on the less expensive 3/Y models.

Charge port door is now the same as the 3/Y manual no release switch inside the auto. Rubber boot to cover the new CCS2 charge port to keep water out of it.

Snag_4d4e027e.png

Bet the rubber charge port cover becomes a top replacement purchase on Amazon. :P 

image.png

• Agree 1

From glancing at auto ads, the best thing is probably to stay out of the auto market - if you don't have to be in it - until the dust settles somewhat.  There is some crazy sh!+ I'm seeing.

• Agree 1

Seems in less camo, the Ford Ranger and Bronco Raptor versions are out testing on the streets around Detroit.

Ford Ranger Raptor caught with less camo next to a Bronco Raptor (autoblog.com)

Interesting read, but looking at the sales numbers it does look like VW has surpassed Tesla in sales as an American company mines Lithium in Europe and VW has 2 gigafactories under construction to build battery packs for VW BEV.

Forget China, Ignore Tesla…The Lithium Story Moves on to Europe | Market Tactic

On 1/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, David said:

Seems Tesla has revealed the refreshed Tesla S & X. Now comes with the Tesla Performance edition 3/Y headlamps which are adaptive headlights. CCS2 is now the global charge port, otherwise no real changes to the auto line.

Tesla Model S Refresh Revealed In Taiwan With New Features (insideevs.com)

Crazy that you pay 6 figures and now start to get the same equipment that comes on the less expensive 3/Y models.

Charge port door is now the same as the 3/Y manual no release switch inside the auto. Rubber boot to cover the new CCS2 charge port to keep water out of it.

Snag_4d4e027e.png

Bet the rubber charge port cover becomes a top replacement purchase on Amazon. :P 

image.png

Those charge ports are China/Asia Market only. Tesla uses its Supercharger port in the U.S. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

Engineering blueprint for fuel injection body, Tucker Corporation, 1947

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 2.10.28 PM.png

I love old hand drawn blueprints...

Shared this with a member or two already, but damn I am glad I have a truck. loading up with Walnut and Cherry for the wood lathe, going back for more. 

Having fun turning, made 6 small gifts out of scrap for students. 

May be an image of indoor

9 hours ago, David said:

Very cool Drag race!

Yeah it is. 

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Those charge ports are China/Asia Market only. Tesla uses its Supercharger port in the U.S. 

Amazing the growth of electric vehicle sales. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have been seeing multiple other writeups that Tesla is considering standardizing the Americas market with Europe, but as of now this is the latest that has been posted on the various Tesla sites.

Tesla Charge Ports & Plugs of the World Compared
(for Models S, X, 3, & Y)
Tesla Charge-Ports & -Plugs

(1), (2), & (3) EV Car Plug, Port, and Adapter
NOTES (China)
  • The acronym "GB/T" stands for "Guobiao" ("National Standard") and "Tuijian" ("Recommended").
  • Note incompatible gender and wiring differences between otherwise similar Chinese and European Type 2 plug ends.
  • Older cars:
    • Model S (before October 2017) and Model 3 (before November 2019) came with a single European-style Type 2 charge-port.
    • These cars must use GB/T AC (alternating current) and GB/T DC (direct current) adapters in order to charge from National Standard equipment.
      Tesla GB/T-to-Type 2 A/C Adapter (China) Tesla GB/T-to-Type 2 D/C Adapter (China)
  • Newer cars come equipped with dual GB/T ports. No National Standard adapters are required.
NOTES (North America)
  • All model-years use Tesla Proprietary Connection (TPC) ports, which accept both Tesla AC and DC equipment.
  • The Level 2 J1772 adapter (with TPC plug) is used at public AC charging stations and for non-Tesla home/destination charging equipment.
    Tesla J1772-to-TPC A/C Adapter (North America)
  • Third-party CHAdeMO DC fast-charge stations are found in North America.
    • Until October 2021 Tesla offered a CHAdeMO adapter with TPC plug intended for use with all four models.
      Tesla CHAdeMO-to-TPC D/C Adapter (North America)
  • Third-party CCS1 (CCS Combo 1) DC fast-charge stations (used by almost all non-Tesla electric cars in North America) are increasing in number.
    • A Tesla CCS Combo 1 adapter is supposedly coming "soon" to North America. (A presumably similar Tesla CCS1 adapter in South Korea is not compatible with North American vehicles and/or the CCS1 charging stations they hope to use.)
      Tesla CCS1-to-TPC D/C Adapter (South Korea)
  • Cars sold in Japan (Models S, X, 3), South Korea (all models), and (previously) Taiwan (S, X, 3) also come/came with Tesla proprietary (TPC) ports.
    • Tesla CHAdeMO adapters with TPC plugs are sold in South Korea and Taiwan (see below) and may still be available from dealers in Japan.
    • The Tesla CCS Combo 1 adapter sold just in South Korea (see note above) is for Models 3 & Y there only.
    • In TaiwanTesla has switched from North American TPC to European Type 2 ("Mennekes") ports and plugs.
      • The CHAdeMO adapter with TPC plug is still listed but is currently (as of 11/2021) "sold out."
      • Two types of Tesla Generation 2 Mobile Connectors (for home AC use) are available for (older) cars with the TPC port and for (newer) cars with the Type 2 port.
NOTES (Europe)
  • A (likely) goal of allowing all model-years to use all Supercharger, CCS2, and CHAdeMO sites throughout Europe has not yet been fully achieved. But the level of access is good, especially for certain models.
    • According to Tesla, the Supercharger network is (collectively) available to all model-years (Supercharging in Europe). V2 Superchargers now have two cables to accommodate cars with either Type 2 or CCS2 ports. V3 Superchargers each have one CCS2 cable.
    • Ultimately, the ability to use specific Supercharger and other DC charging sites still depends on model, age, and hardware/software-status of the car as well as availability of charging adapters (see model-specific notes, below).
  • Note incompatible gender and wiring differences between the otherwise similar-appearing European and Chinese Type 2 plugs.
  • Models S & X:
    • All years to date come with Type 2 charge-ports (pictured in the Table, above).
    • Note modifications to the basic "Mennekes" design in the Model S port pictured below. Only Models S and X were apparently originally intended to use Superchargers.
      Model S Type 2 (modified) Charge Port - 2 (Europe)
    • To use CCS2 equipment, a CCS Combo 2 (CCS2-to-Type 2) adapter is required.
      Tesla CCS2-to-Type 2 D/C Adapter (Europe)
    • Cars made before May 2019 also require a hardware retrofit to use Tesla CCS2 adapters. Newer cars do not need such a retrofit.
    • A Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (with Type 2 plug) remains available (for Models S & X only). Older vehicles must be Supercharger-enabled (at a Service Center) to accept the CHAdeMO adapter. Newer vehicles come Supercharger-enabled from the factory.
      Tesla CHAdeMO-to-Type 2 D/C Adapter (Europe)
    • In summary, all Models S & X (with qualifications) should now be able to charge at:
      • V2 Superchargers.
      • V3 Superchargers (using a CCS Combo 2 adapter--see note above on whether a hardware retrofit is needed).
      • Third-party CCS2 charging stations (using that CCS2 adapter).
      • Third-party CHAdeMO stations (using the CHAdeMO adapter--see note above on needing to be Supercharger-enabled).
  • Models 3 & Y
    • Since November 2018 Models 3 and Y come outfitted with CCS Combo 2 inlet-ports (pictured in the Table, above).
    • Models 3 & Y outfitted with CCS2 ports should be able to charge at:
      • V2 Superchargers (which have been retrofitted with CCS2 charging cables).
      • V3 Superchargers.
      • Third-party CCS2 charging stations.
      • Sadly, these cars cannot use Supercharger cables with Type 2 plugs.
      • And they cannot use Tesla CHAdeMO adapters.
  • Other areas that use European-style charge connectors include New Zealand, Australia, Macao, Hong Kong, and (now) Taiwan.
    • In Australia and New Zealand (part of Oceania) Tesla sells Models S, X, and 3.
      • Supercharger characteristics are similar to those in Europe.
        - V2 Superchargers now have CCS2 and Type 2 (modified) charge cables.
        - Proprietary Supercharger Type 2 plugs have that extra "key" that prevents entry into non-Tesla car (Type 2) ports.
        - V3 Superchargers have CCS2 cables only.
      • As in Europe, Models S & X continue to come with Type 2 (modified) charge-ports.
        - A Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter (CCS2-to-Type 2) is available.
        - As is a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (with Type 2 plug).
      • Model 3 comes with the CCS2 port (Tesla Charging in Australia).
        - These cars require no adapter to use CCS2 Supercharger and third-party charging stations.
        - But are unable to use the Tesla CHAdeMO DC adapter or Supercharger Type 2 cables.
    • In Hong Kong and Macao Tesla sells the GB/T-to-Type 2 AC adapter (see Mainland China notes) on its websites.
    • See also information about Taiwan under "NOTES (North America)," above.
NOTES (all)
  • Charge-plug-end illustrations are not to scale.
  • The (4-color) charge-plug illustrations (derived from Wikipedia sources) are intended to reveal:
    • The full range of possible connection-circuit functions, and
    • internal and external differences among regional equipment.
    • Individual circuit pathways may or may not be active or even present depending on whether a plug is intended for AC or DC loads.
  • We know that charging a Tesla car from one region (say North America) in another region (Europe, for example) may be possible.
    • But research, planning, and preparation should be undertaken before taking a car from one region to another.
    • Despite that, not all charging options (e.g., Supercharging) may ultimately be available.
    • As a help. aftermarket adapters may be available to increase charging opportunities in the region to be visited.
    • But use appropriate caution when selecting and using non-Tesla charging accessories.
    • Also, we are told that not all vehicle features, like Navigation, may function properly in a new region.
    • So if you plan to take a car from one region to another, investigate carefully and thoroughly.
  • See Charging Equipment of the World for a map showing where various types of charging equipment are used in the different countries.
  • Sources included Wikipedia, Electrek, Teslarati, Reddit, and the TMC.
Words of Caution: Presentation of this information to North American readers, in particular, is not simply an academic exercise.
  • In recent years Tesla vehicles and charging equipment in China and Europe have undergone significant (and cumulatively expensive) charging-standard conversions that affected both newer and older cars.
  • It is conceivable that Tesla in North American could bow to internal or external pressures and eventually do away with its long-time North American proprietary charging (TPC) standard since...
  • increasingly, most electric cars, both worldwide and in North America, use charging-equipment standards other than TPC.

In conclusion, future North American Tesla drivers may experience aspects from among at least three Possibilities:
  1. No change. Cars, Superchargers, and Tesla charging equipment (wall and mobile connectors and optional adapters) continue to use the popular and convenient Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) ports and plugs. (Non-Tesla drivers allowed to use Superchargers would presumably have to employ a TPC-to-CCS1 adapter or be limited to selected Supercharger stalls outfitted with CCS1 cables.)
  2. New and retrofitted Superchargers start to come with CCS1 (CCS Combo 1) charge cables, increasingly requiring Tesla operators to use CCS1-to-TPC adapters for the fastest charging.
  3. At some point Tesla transitions to a new North American standard--new cars, Superchargers, and mobile charging equipment all eventually come with CCS1 (or other?) ports and plugs. Older cars have to use a CCS1 adapter.
A combination of Possibilities 2 and 3 might approximate what has already happened in China and Europe (plus Oceania and Taiwan).

Last edited: 
image.png