Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, David said:

Hard to say if this is really that mustang on top that was restored, but considering that less than 1% are restored, if it is sitting around rusting out like the top pic shows and contaminating the ground. I bet the owner would have taken cash from a recycler who would pick it up and recycle into new products.

Yes the bottom mustang is a lovely looking car and you know that was probably a very solid 5 figures of cash to make it that way.

• It's the same car- I trust the site I read about it on. Restorations happen, David.

• Where'd you come up with that "less than 1%" figure ??? What would you guess the survivor percentage rate of the '53 Eldorado is today (I know the answer).

• Everything bought new today is 'solidly 5 figures cash" - to the point the average is basically halfway to 6 figures. Many (most?) homes have more than 1 vehicle. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

While true from an investment point in hindsight, Ford was parked in the circa $5 range for some years, IIRC.
I think it's still a buy at $19- it's last peak was $32 in the end of '98.

I am over hating Ford, enjoying my Ranger. Want them to stay in business. Higher stock price is good news. 

• Agree 2

Why is it that Toyoter and Lexus drivers in and around the Montreal area all drive slow?

No matter what model these drivers drive, no matter who is behind the damned wheel, no matter what time of the day it is or season it is,  its always a waaaaaaay too slow commute and its a waaaaay too frustrating event being behind them!!!    

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Why is it that Toyoter and Lexus drivers in and around the Montreal area all drive slow?

No matter what model these drivers drive, no matter who is behind the damned wheel, no matter what time of the day it is or season it is,  its always a waaaaaaay too slow commute and its a waaaaay too frustrating event being behind them!!!    

Same here, you have the terrible Toyota and Lexus Drivers driving slow everywhere especially in the far-left lane and then you have the Asshole BMW and MB drivers cutting everyone off thinking they are on the German Autobahn.

Two extreme idiots. 

The BMW drivers I understand.  Their behavior has been that bad for at least 30 years now.  Now the slow Acura/Lexus/Toyota driver seems to be a relatively new thing.  I have not seen the slow driving behavior around here recently, if ever.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The BMW drivers I understand.  Their behavior has been that bad for at least 30 years now.  Now the slow Acura/Lexus/Toyota driver seems to be a relatively new thing.  I have not seen the slow driving behavior around here recently, if ever.

With the heavy Asian population here in the PNW you have two extremes, the older ones in their Acura, Lexus, Toyota driving slow in all lanes and then the young Asian population in their BMW/MB driving like assholes in some driving game.

Interesting observation I saw last night going to my son's house for family dinner. 3 different Audi's and all were blowing bluish smoke out the tailpipes. Audi has been a brand I have seen more bad rings on than any other for oil burning. VW would be next in line which makes me think this is a family production problem.

• Like 1

My home page seems to like including video clips of dogs, bears who wander from adjacent wooded terrain into people's back yards to bother their pets or just sit in their hot tubs, and some weird run-ins with mountain lions.

I had wanted to post this before.  I found it.  Look at the potential force of this big cat when its ears are pinned back and the widened stance of its paws when charging.  That's scary 5h!t.  And this kid is filming the whole thing?  Well, he did not run, which is good, because you should not run since it will make it more likely they will chase you down - their typical prey runs from them.

Two things came to mind:

1) he was walking backwards ... on a rocky trail ... so, had he unwittingly tripped and fallen, it would have made him look less big and the mountain lion might have taken advantage of that, and

2) I wonder how much longer this ordeal would have gone on if he hadn't thrown a rock at it ... good thing there was a decent sized rock around

I think I'd rather be watching a visiting black bear in the hot tub from a sliding glass door on a rear porch perched up a ways above the backyard.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, David said:

With the heavy Asian population here in the PNW you have two extremes, the older ones in their Acura, Lexus, Toyota driving slow in all lanes and then the young Asian population in their BMW/MB driving like assholes in some driving game.

Interesting observation I saw last night going to my son's house for family dinner. 3 different Audi's and all were blowing bluish smoke out the tailpipes. Audi has been a brand I have seen more bad rings on than any other for oil burning. VW would be next in line which makes me think this is a family production problem.

They might be Pacific Islanders, but I think the Samoans in the Seattle area - folks you do NOT want to piss off - exhibit "different" consumer behavior patterns.  Spendy (German) iron doesn't seem like their style.

8 hours ago, riviera74 said:

It's all in the demographics.  Big, big differences come into play.  LOL.  Diagonally opposite parts of the country, too.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:49 AM, ccap41 said:

Just last week they started to payu a dividend again, although smaller than pre-COVID. They took almost a two year hiatus on paying dividends and in that span the share price dropped hard to the 5-6 range. I bought a few shares in the 16 dollar range like 6 years ago and it's just now profitable. I wish I would have bought some last year when it was really low again. 

The upcoming "F" dividend is a dime per share.  It reminds me of the saying, "Here's a dime.  Call someone who cares." 

Yes, it would have been good for those with excess funds around to buy "F" when it was low during the big downturn last year, sell it at $20 (as long as they've held it over a year), screw waiting for any dividend growth, and GTFO.  

19 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

They might be Pacific Islanders, but I think the Samoans in the Seattle area - folks you do NOT want to piss off - exhibit "different" consumer behavior patterns.  Spendy (German) iron doesn't seem like their style.

LOL my Niece is married to a Samoan which has a HUGE community down in Puyallup. Very familiar with this community since we spend time in it and they are very down to earth people.

I live up in Mountlake Terrace where the huge Korean population is as well as Chinese and Japanese. All 3 tend to fall into the two categories I have mentioned. My wife always gets comments in Korean that they are surprised she is driving an SS and not a Korean or Japanese brand by other older Asians. LOL

Those Asians that do drive American Iron love the big V8's and room of the trucks / SUVs, but drive terribly slooooooow.

11 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

The upcoming "F" dividend is a dime per share.  It reminds me of the saying, "Here's a dime.  Call someone who cares." 

Yes, it would have been good for those with excess funds around to buy "F" when it was low during the big downturn last year, sell it at $20 (as long as they've held it over a year), screw waiting for any dividend growth, and GTFO.  

Ford shares are cheap though so a dime buys more shares worth than a dime dividend from a company like Amazon or Tesla (neither of which pay a dividend though). Most people who have Ford shares a hundred to hundreds of shares. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ford shares are cheap though so a dime buys more shares worth than a dime dividend from a company like Amazon or Tesla (neither of which pay a dividend though). Most people who have Ford shares a hundred to hundreds of shares. 

I wasn't saying it to be sarcastic.  I just like that "old school" expression used to get rid of someone.

Right.  Insiders, rich industrial dynasty families, and such have enormous numbers of shares of a company and even a nickel in a dividend increase magnifies into a lot of money.  Most regular folks don't hold those levels of "F" stock.  I saw that it was finally over $20 and sold it.  I did o.k with it.  It's probably going to stay in a holding pattern in that dollar area, with a few upward spikes that might settle back down, but I don't see a strong upward trend arriving in the very near future.  I got tired of visually babysitting it.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

I live up in Mountlake Terrace

I always liked the names Mountlake Terrace* and Lake Forest Park.  Many (local) people don't even know where/what Lake Forest Park is. 

I also liked the name Lakeview Terrace in L.A.'s SFV.  I need to rent the movie of the same name.  

*Mountlake Terrace is a name that, visually, has a LOT going on!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, balthazar said:

I find Acuras are pretty bad too (Hondas are fine, for some reason).

Acura drivers 15 years ago were just as bad as the stereotypical BMW driver around these parts.  Id say, Acura drivers, VW Golf GTI drivers, BMW and Audi drivers from the mid- 1990s to 2010 around, were the worst for douchebaggery driving tactics.   This doesnt apply anymore.   

Acura SUV folk around here drive normally.   

There is no common vehicle in the Montreal area, really, with Douchbaggery drivers.

But I have noticed since the summer that Toyoter and Lexus folk are afraid of their own shadows when driving.  ALWAYS below the speed limit. ALWAYS unaware of their surroundings and not letting anybody get a chance to pass them.  ALWAYS in a comatosed daze.  

I was stuck behind two youngish guys in IS-F Lexuses on 2 separate occasions in the summer...

Countless of times behind Camrys and Corollas.   Yesterday was a dorky Lexus SUV with a V8...    

I KNOW IT HAD A V8 BECAUSE I HAD TIME TO SEE HIS BACK END FOR A FEW MILES AND IT WAS SARCASTICALLY WRITTEN THERE MOCKING ME!!!

2008 Lexus GX Review

Yesterday's post was me having a suppressed road rage attack and me letting off steam!  (no worries, no actual road rage incident, but I HAD to tell someone!) 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Question to the Cheers and Gear folks.

I have been invited to a Xmas party over a month ago.

A week ago, they decided to do a white elephant gift exchange. OK, can order something on Amazon Prime and get it. 

Now today, just a few days before the party, they have asked for everyone to dress Formal, break out the tux, the cocktail dress and formal shoes and enjoy the evening.

My response was I have not owned a tie or any formal / Business cloths since the Early 90's as this computer engineer formal is a nice pair of Blue Jeans and a Polo Shirt.

Less to say, some of the other comments on the party thread have been making me think I should just pass on showing up.

This is the 21st Century, we are in a Pandemic and formal wear is the last thing I would be thinking of.

Do you still have any formalwear and if so when was the last time you wore it? Yes or No

Would you still go to the party even in blue jeans and a polo shirt?

Part of me says go and let them all just deal with it, I will be comfy.

Looking for your thoughts. Thank you,

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

WOW, Talk about another reason to NOT BUY TOYOTA. If you have a 2018 or newer Toyota where they have tied the remote start monitoring in their software app, if you want remote start to work, you now have to pay Toyota $8 a month or 1 year for $80 to use the remote start on your Fob according to this news story.

Toyota Made Its Key Fob Remote Start Into a Subscription Service (thedrive.com)

FAILURE and another reason to NOT buy Toyota!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, David said:

A week ago, they decided to do a white elephant gift exchange. OK, can order something on Amazon Prime and get it. 

Now today, just a few days before the party, they have asked for everyone to dress Formal, break out the tux, the cocktail dress and formal shoes and enjoy the evening.

My response was I have not owned a tie or any formal / Business cloths since the Early 90's as this computer engineer formal is a nice pair of Blue Jeans and a Polo Shirt.

Less to say, some of the other comments on the party thread have been making me think I should just pass on showing up.

This is the 21st Century, we are in a Pandemic and formal wear is the last thing I would be thinking of.

Do you still have any formalwear and if so when was the last time you wore it? Yes or No

My company is doing it's holiday party next Friday afternoon as a virtual event...since we do have several 100% remote people incl. myself and almost no one goes in the office.  I'd wear nice pants, a dress shirt or turtleneck (since it's December) and a sport coat if I had to go to an in-person event.

As far as formal wear, last time I wore a suit and tie was for my Mom's funeral 5+ years ago.  I did tend to dress up for nice dinners and evenings at the symphony in the before time (I really enjoyed going out to nice events in the before time), but rarely put on a tie.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@David I think it's absurd that they started talking formal wear, and expect people to comply, in just a matter of days.

We're not talking about weddings ... or proms.  Those required formal wear and people know that going in.  As for proms, I don't know what kids are doing today ... lots of weird things, that's for sure.

However, on an ocean liner, the high end cabins assigned to the high end dining room(s) required formal wear, especially for dinner.  People who choose those cabins probably have formal wear laying around.

For those in the regular cabins, which were assigned to the "regular" dining room, a lot of the men just wore business suits while women wore nice outfits of different kinds.  I don't recall if I saw sport coats and slacks.  This was that one trip on the QE2, on the cheap.

Wear a regular suit if you want to go.  I'm sure you have some laying around.  If you don't really want to go, and it's not one of those things were you have to show up or (insert multitude of repercussions), then don't go. 

You can stay home, play board games, drink hot cocoa, and listen to "Christmas in the Northwest" by Brenda White.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are so many nice photos of the Space Needle decked out for the holidays ...

DsvWAX5UcAAgMHf?format=jpg&name=small

It just wasn't Christmas in the Northwest without this sappy song.   Whether sailing along at 70 mph on I-5 between Portland and Seattle, or stuck in traffic on one of the floating bridges, this song could/can reliably heard over the airwaves.

I guess you had to be there ... at one time or another.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@David

For me, it is no big deal to wear a suit and tie to a party if it was requested.  Even if it wasnt requested, Id feel comfortable wearing a suit and tie when everybody else is in Hawaiian shirts and shorts. But this party is about you and not me. 

There are several facets to this for me and the suit is not the problem.

Covid is. 

For me, in a Covid pandemic, with 2 vaccine shots and adequately protected, but definitely not wanting to catch Covid, because vaccines dont prevent Covid, vaccines lessen the symptoms... Id be weary of going to a party full of people because the risk of catching Covid is real regardless of being vaccinated or not.   

Are these people worth the risk?  Are these people family?  Or are these people just mild friends?

For you, wearing comfortable clothing and NOT formal wear, are you gonna piss them off?

If these people are family, then I dont think these people will care that you showed up in comfortable clothing. They'd be happy to see you and your lovely wife (and kids?) regardless!   If these people were good friends, same thing applies! 

However, if these people are gonna be bitchy about what you decided to wear, maybe you shouldnt be risking catching Covid for them...because THAT is how I sees it. 

That is my opinion.  Take the other Cheers and Gears folk's opinions and make the best decision for you and your wife and that is that!!!!  

PS:  I havent been to a gathering requiring a suit and tie several years now.  My mom passed 5-6 years ago and I had a wedding to attend in and around that time and that was the last time I wore a suit and tie.  So I have a suit and tie on alert of need be.  

But I was thinking in acquiring 2-3 new suits soon.  Even if I may not have any events to go to anytime soon.  Taylor made is the only way I go.  

• Thanks 2

On 12/9/2021 at 9:26 PM, David said:

I have that stuff but I doubt I’d go.  Screams of poor planning to announce that later. And also inconsiderate since so many people not only don’t have that stuff but a bunch of us have put on Covid weight so the stuff we own my not fit anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

This is a "new normal" of sorts when it comes to food and libations:

... you can't go to a place whose hours you've sort of historically counted on because of staffing issues

... you can't go to a place where there is something you like on the menu because you don't know if they've been supplied with it

So, you have to now call ahead and ask, "Are you open tonight?"  "Do you have (insert name of item you order) tonight?" Or, asked another way, "Is there anything you're out of for dinner tonight?"

• Agree 1

I do miss dining in restaurants from the before time.  I haven't eaten inside in a restaurant since March 2020.   Been cooking at home, getting meals delivered, doing takeout.  Ate outside at restaurants a couple of times.    

On 12/13/2021 at 9:51 AM, Robert Hall said:

Yesterday was a beautiful day, got out and went up the coast to a pier to see the lake, saw a big lake freighter out on the lake.   Very windy.  I love it.  

191B29B4-272F-47C3-AF5D-808F39B4B8A6.jpeg

96C41B82-DA10-4C74-9EDC-B3AC4471C136.jpeg

5C94B580-654F-41CB-9823-55DD538C52C2.jpeg

A601DB18-2FA2-4729-B3F6-968905E17D48.jpeg

Lonely freighter on a windy lake....  Id say that lake is, Eerie.   

Puns - laughing - Funny Puns - Pun Pictures - Cheezburger

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Question:  If a new car is equipped or delivered with a spoiler, can it (easily) be removed by the dealership?  What would be involved?

Id say a couple of holes need to be filled.

Depending where those holes are and who actually does the fillin', Id say probably not worth the long term possible problems of removing an already installed spoiler. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Lonely freighter on a windy lake....  Id say that lake is, Eerie.   

By the way, I checked my Marine Traffic app, it was the CSL Tadoussac, a Canadian ore laker. 

https://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/CSLTadoussac.htm

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Spoiler question is going to depend on a lot of things, most especially; are we talking front spoiler or rear?

Rear.

I wonder if a car can be optioned with a "spoiler delete" note when ordered.  It isn't like asking for an upholstery that isn't even offered.  Just thinking out loud.  So many rear spoilers just make the rear deck lid look cluttered.

I assume (with no evidence either way), that's it's basically impossible to order any non-standard / non-optional change.

I just read that at GM in the '60s, there were tiers of color options.
1. Regular factory colors by brand.
2. Any colors used at other corporate brands.
3. Any colors made by the paint company supplier.
4. Custom-mixed colors.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

By the way, I checked my Marine Traffic app, it was the CSL Tadoussac, a Canadian ore laker. 

https://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/CSLTadoussac.htm

Canadian ship built in Montreal, I see.  Thanx for the info!

Im always amused and happy to see how close and intertwined both of our countries really are!

From how the Great Lakes are divided and how our cities that border the Great Lakes and the rivers flowing to them to the thousands of miles of borders towns that we both share to the trade routes that we both use.  

Think about it, Robert.  The water that you witnessed and possibly touched yesterday, I could potentially see and touch the same water a day or two later.  If you leave a note in a bottle, I WILL receive it eventually as I literally live on the banks of the Saint Lawrence.  

Not only do we have an internet connection, we also have a water way connection.  Aint that cool?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Canadian ship built in Montreal, I see.  Thanx for the info!

Im always amused and happy to see how close and intertwined both of our countries really are!

From how the Great Lakes are divided and how our cities that border the Great Lakes and the rivers flowing to them to the thousands of miles of borders towns that we both share to the trade routes that we both use.  

Think about it, Robert.  The water that you witnessed and possibly touched yesterday, I could potentially see and touch the same water a day or two later.  If you leave a note in a bottle, I WILL receive it eventually as I literally live on the banks of the Saint Lawrence.  

Not only do we have an internet connection, we also have a water way connection.  Aint that cool?  

Yes, and another interesting factoid--where I was when I took that pic was at the widest point of Lake Erie--from Painesville Township Park in Ohio, it is approx. 60 miles/97 km across to Port Stanley, Ontario.  I love the Great Lakes region.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:26 PM, David said:

What would you wear to a wedding? You had to have gone to a wedding in the last 20 years. 

I wouldn't go spend a bunch of money for a one-time party but you could go and grab a pair of dressier pants. I think a true formal dress attire is a little much to a party but that's neither here nor there, that's already been decided. 

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the pandemic part of it. You're vaccinated so you can get back to normal life, right? 

• Agree 1