Random Thoughts Thread

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^  Not me.  Knock on wood. 

Someone very very close to me.  My former partner.   We have been talking.  Ive been consoling him the last three days.   

😢

Wish him all the best, Divorce sucks and is hard. Glad to hear your doing fine. :) 

• Thanks 1

WOW, Lots of patent filings show us what the First BEV Ferrari will be like. Yes you can google / Bing to your hearts content on reading various stories from other sites. Yes they have some pictures too.

Here I have no time to write about this but here is the full listing, click on the blue title of each patent to see the details and dig into the pictures.

Patents Assigned to Ferrari S.p.A. - Justia Patents Search

The link to the filing most stories are about:

US Patent for Electric or hybrid sport car Patent (Patent # 11,220,169 issued January 11, 2022) - Justia Patents Search

Seems during Fords Q4 end of year earnings call the CEO says the days of Yearly or mid cycle refreshes will go the way Tesla has done and improvements for Ford BEVs will happen quarterly.

CEO: Ford plans to "reengineer" Mustang Mach-E incrementally, won't save improvements for mid-cycle refresh (greencarreports.com)

Seems Ford is looking to bypass the Dealers here in the U.S. as they open a new branch of direct sales to small businesses that can benefit from the reduced cost of running EVs and EV ownership versus ICE.

Dealerships that screw over customers who are tired of Additional Market Markups and ignore Ford or GM should lose business. As such, I am happy to see the Legacy OEMs find ways to get around the dealership monopoly.

Ford Targets Small Business Owners with Electric Vehicles (msn.com)

QUOTE:

The initiative is being pushed by Jim Farley, CEO for Ford, who told Fox Business: “Now we want to move into the services business, and those customers, most of them are small business. They own five or six vehicles or are a plumber, electrician. They are underserved customers with data and telematics.

Ford is committed to helping small businesses, many of which operate in the services industry, to make owning an electric vehicle a reality, by offering financing, repair services and the full electric vehicle ‘package.’

• Agree 2

WOW does this bring back memories of riding backwards in the 3rd seat of our Oldsmobile Delta 98 Custom Cruiser.

Abandoned History: General Motors’ High Technology Engine, and Other CAFE Foibles (Part III) (thetruthaboutcars.com)

Crazy how people who bought the new Maverick are already experimenting with using Escape parts to take a basic version Maverick and add Platinum upgrades to it cheaper than buying that level.

Ford Maverick Owners Are Hacking the Brand’s Parts Bin Into Their Trucks (thedrive.com)

This has got to hurt for Toyota. LOL

Ford Maverick Outsold the Ranger and Toyota Tundra in January (thedrive.com)

6 hours ago, David said:

his has got to hurt for Toyota. LOL

Not exactly hard to outsell a Tundra right now considering that model is on the way out to make way for the new model. The 2022 model just released in December. meanwhile, the Tacoma sold over 15K. Good start for the Maverick but the article was lazy to bring up a full size outgoing pick up to the conversation. 

6 hours ago, David said:

Crazy how people who bought the new Maverick are already experimenting with using Escape parts to take a basic version Maverick and add Platinum upgrades to it cheaper than buying that level.

The software they used, Forscan, is pretty common in the Ford world. That is what I used when I swapped out my Sync2 for a Sync3 system in my Flex. What that guy is doing is neat but clearly a hassle as well (as documented in that article). Not having a working airbag in your steering wheel is a pretty big no no, just to gain cruise control. That's more of a Frankenstein swap lol, bound to cause problems. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting read on the CGI changes to a Tahoe for making it into a 3 door SS K5.

Chevy Tahoe SS Becomes Modern-Day 3-Door K5 Blazer With a Few Quick CGI Tricks - autoevolution

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZpaiochy7M/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=3c0bb214-a464-4338-9aea-72dcab9c69a9

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRHTV6tlO7U/

image.png

Have to say this does not set my pants on fire.

2023 Chevrolet Blazer Facelift Still Isn't Worthy of Its Nameplate - autoevolution

image.pngimage.png

Mustang and Bronco fans rejoice as Jim Farly, CEO of Ford says these two models will be some of the last to drop ICE powertrains.

Ford CEO Jim Farley Confirms ICE Future for the Bronco and Mustang - autoevolution

Quote: Whatever the future may hold for the Mustang, it’s also important to note that Ford has patented a hybrid V8 with two electric motors. 

Seems this might be Fords answer to the Hybrid Corvette.

Seems RAM needs help in building an electric truck, so they have at least attempted to sound like they will listen to customers by starting the RAM REVOLUTION web site for customer feedback on what should be in the RAM BEV Pickup truck.

Ram Revolution | Ram Brand Electric Vehicles (ramtrucks.com)

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

^ One has to log in or subscribe to that site? Pass. 

Doesn't do that on my Mac browser so I cannot account for any unforeseen issues. Thanks for providing the additional links @David

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

5F456E31-10C0-4F39-A069-157F192C149C.jpeg

I would have to make out a living will before driving that one but I would die a happy man, I can promise you that!

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

If you have an Apple account, Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter account saved in your browser it auto logs you into this site, otherwise one has to create an account or click one of the 4 provided links on the web page to gain access.

image.png

58 minutes ago, David said:

If you have an Apple account, Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter account saved in your browser it auto logs you into this site, otherwise one has to create an account or click one of the 4 provided links on the web page to gain access.

image.png

I have an Apple and Facebook account but I do not use auto login on my browser. Not a biggie but it basically says what the other articles state regarding Ford and GM gong after problem dealers for unacceptably high markups. 

Allow me to "cheat". Here are four screenshots of the article.

1025072846_ScreenShot2022-02-09at5_26_08PM.thumb.png.2a0c648c7393b6c54183d5113c3b6acf.png

1432802232_ScreenShot2022-02-09at5_26_21PM.thumb.png.b74dd8b6af7dc5b7fadbdf4507b8c4d1.png

220792985_ScreenShot2022-02-09at5_26_32PM.thumb.png.705b90f42c0c25b03b1df778b386eff5.png

1641863128_ScreenShot2022-02-09at5_26_43PM.thumb.png.5ffff5edc4b6db8313b3ce9aaa7117d1.png

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

This day in history ... things I don't easily forget

First, the bad:

The 1971 Los Angeles - Sylmar earthquake with its epicenter in the San Fernando Valley section of the city

Next, the good:

In 1969, the first flight of the Boeing 747 from Paine Field in Everett, Washington.  Boeing essentially "bet" the company on this endeavor and was successful. Pan Am was the launch customer for the jumbo jet.

Gotta say I love my trivia.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

This is 'Gray Baby'.
We've been feeding her breakfast & dinner on our back porch since the summer of '19. We got her a heated, insulated 'A-frame' house outside over the winters, and eventually she would let us pet her on occasion.
2 weeks ago, at about 11PM, she was calling loudly at the back door, and scratching at it some. She never did this before, never came inside the house before. So we figured out how to bring her thru the back door, into the garage and down into the basement (my basement door is in my garage). She kept glancing back into the backyard (I have woods behind my house)- so either she was afraid of a predator, or she was just DONE with being out.

She stayed 2 weeks in the basement, snuggled up on a couch down there, and she was quiet & content. Slept a TON. Never tried to leave/go up the stairs, and quickly she would lay right next to or on one of us. We'd go down & hang out with her. Super-sweet. It was clear she had been in a home before. Sad that she lived outdoors for 1.75 years when she could've been safe & snug inside.

Took her to the vet after a week; about 3 yrs old, clean bill of health, got some shots, good to go. But we have 3 cats right now, so my son/his girlfriend found a couple who are 'cat people', and tonight Gray Baby took a ride to Philly to live there. 

I like to play it nonchalant RE cats, but I'm pretty sure I'm not fooling anyone here. She's going to be missed...

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 4.30.41 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, balthazar said:

This is 'Gray Baby'.
We've been feeding her breakfast & dinner on our back porch since the summer of '19. We got her a heated, insulated 'A-frame' house outside over the winters, and eventually she would let us pet her on occasion.
2 weeks ago, at about 11PM, she was calling loudly at the back door, and scratching at it some. She never did this before, never came inside the house before. So we figured out how to bring her thru the back door, into the garage and down into the basement (my basement door is in my garage). She kept glancing back into the backyard (I have woods behind my house)- so either she was afraid of a predator, or she was just DONE with being out.

She stayed 2 weeks in the basement, snuggled up on a couch down there, and she was quiet & content. Slept a TON. Never tried to leave/go up the stairs, and quickly she would lay right next to or on one of us. We'd go down & hang out with her. Super-sweet. It was clear she had been in a home before. Sad that she lived outdoors for 1.75 years when she could've been safe & snug inside.

Took her to the vet after a week; about 3 yrs old, clean bill of health, got some shots, good to go. But we have 3 cats right now, so my son/his girlfriend found a couple who are 'cat people', and tonight Gray Baby took a ride to Philly to live there. 

I like to play it nonchalant RE cats, but I'm pretty sure I'm not fooling anyone here. She's going to be missed...

Very Cool, awesome what you did. Great that she has a loving home.

Saw GM just posted this and so I figure I would upload it here from their global media web site. Great video on the Mid-Engine Corvette Convertible.

Per GM's Press Release: 

The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible promises an exciting journey of unlimited possibilities. Corvette’s relentless pursuit of performance, technical ingenuity and attainability have made it an American icon through eight generations.

The first-ever mid-engine and hardtop convertible from the nameplate has the same aeronautic design theme as the coupe, as well as exceptional storage capacity and track capability, making it a supercar for every day.

The 6.2L LT2 Small Block V-8 engine and Chevrolet’s first eight-speed dual-clutch transmission combine for the most no-compromise Corvette convertible in history. 

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

This is 'Gray Baby'.

As an owner of two rescues myself, I 100% get this. Great that she now has a loving home though. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 6.07.11 PM.png

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

I’ll see your Metro and raise you…(this car was actually owned by someone in parts or service at Sands Chevrolet in Glendale, AZ)

E6FA396C-618D-4AA9-818F-1430D557D9B1.jpeg

One has to wonder how the Police allow stuff like this on the road. Are these mods even legal? I can see the Oregon plate auto having serious forward blind spots.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, David said:

One has to wonder how the Police allow stuff like this on the road. Are these mods even legal? I can see the Oregon plate auto having serious forward blind spots.

As long as there's a muffler attached (which there probably isn't), why wouldn't this be allowed? 

Best looking OEM off-road wheel that isn't a steelie? 

Bronco Everglades.jpg

Bronco Everglades2.jpg

23 minutes ago, David said:

It's in Arizona...anything goes in there, just like Florida...

Edited by Robert Hall

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

As long as there's a muffler attached (which there probably isn't), why wouldn't this be allowed? 

Washington state has a vehicle code that makes it illegal to have anything that is not OEM that can block your line of vision. As such, huge, oversized exhaust pipes like the one on the car and the Lawnmower add on to the hood blocks visibility and would not be legal here.

Have to say after seeing this picture, I am even more impressed with how well the engineering of the Rivian R1T truck is. The battery pack did not catch fire but something else did and was quickly extinguished. 

Check Out This Rivian R1T That Crashed Into A Pole: Fire Reported (msn.com)

Snag_9abb417.png

WOW, Ford is just killing it on having all types of models / version of the Bronco.

Special-Edition Ford Bronco Everglades Engineered and Outfitted to Take on Extreme Adventures with Confidence | Ford Media Center

Lots of pics at the media link above with more details on this Everglade edition.

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

All original sight lines here :

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 5.24.23 PM.png

These are very common here in Washington state for people who have property in the mountains, yet still not legal on the public roads here just like your Chevrolet Tank above.

image.png

Nope.

Tuukka Rask, a Boston Bruins goalie. He retired today.   He retired because of a nagging injury that prevented him to perform. He had surgery over the course of the summer and missed half the year. Came back 2 weeks ago. Played 3 games.   I think his injury came back. 

The most winningest Bruins goalie in Bruins history.    Pic above is of his earlier career helmet.  2nd post is of his latest helmet. 

Fantastic goalie.  Fantastic athletic.   Very competitive.    Fantastic person on and off the ice.  

I will miss his athletic performances.  He was great to watch.  He was an important part of a Boston Bruins team that (you could say) dominated the league the last 10 years or so.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Random : Sure- newspapers are readily online, and that makes perfect sense. 

HOWEVER... it amazes me that a 'source of information' so commonly fails to state what city/State it's located in (online).
I shouldn't have to google the newspaper name to find out where it's local to. 

- - - - -
The car I posted earlier, and Rae Ripple, the artist who did the work ~ 

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 8.28.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 12.32.05 AM.png

Very Interesting Spotlight by Stellantis. Seems they are covering everything in the company by brands here.

Interesting that while not everyone will have a Superbowl commercial, seems some companies are releasing new product videos.

Seems for car fans that maybe Ford might bring the newest Mondeo Sedan that they just released in China to North America as it was found with plates on in Michigan.

New Ford Mondeo Spied In Michigan Again, But It's Wearing Plates Now (msn.com)

@oldshurst442 @ccap41 Maybe a car for you yet.

This has come and gone many times and Musk has always ignored it, so I have expected this lawsuit.

Why is California suing Tesla? (msn.com)