ccap41

CT8 to be First True Flagship in Modern Era

cadillac-ct8-rendering-front-three-quart What We KnowThe 2016 CT6 is not Cadillac’s flagship, General Motors product chief Mark Reuss says. That role will be given to an even larger rear-wheel-drive sedan coming within four years. While the Cadillac CT6 is a bit bigger than a short-wheelbase BMW 7 Series, we expect the so-called CT8 to be slightly larger than the long-wheelbase Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The CT8, like the CT6, will ride on the new Omega platform, which employs GM’s patented process for welding aluminum. If the CT6 is any guide, the CT8 will be hundreds of pounds lighter than the S-Class. But the CT8 will be more than a long-wheelbase version of the CT6. Its styling should be more stately and upright, and it should put greater emphasis on ride comfort than handling dynamics. Engine choices will likely include the CT6’s new twin-turbo, 3.0-liter V-6 and a naturally aspirated, 3.6-liter V-6. Also expect a new V-8 from the same engine family, perhaps a twin-turbo, 4.5-liter example that will make 500-plus horsepower, as hinted by the Cadillac Elmiraj show car. The transmission will be an eight-speed automatic, unless the new 10-speed GM is developing with Ford arrives in time.
Why It MattersAlthough it doesn’t show on sales charts, Cadillac is enjoying a renaissance thanks to new models that match or beat their BMW and Mercedes-Benz rivals on many metrics. The CT8 promises to take these advances even further, making this car worthy of a window sticker that reads $95,000 or higher. Expect the CT8 to come with all the technology, safety, and luxury features Cadillac can muster to take on the Mercedes S-Class as the standard-bearer in this segment. Just as important, a big, long CT8 will give Cadillac a much-needed status symbol, a car worthy of shuttling important business and government leaders to global conferences.
Potential PitfallsAs much as Cadillac has improved, it has yet to achieve Lexus-like overall quality or Audi-like interior execution. The CT8 must do both. Specifically, its new engines must idle more smoothly than the engines we’ve experienced in the ATS and CTS, and the CUE infotainment system must respond quicker to user inputs. Even if Cadillac achieves all this right out of the gate, GM will have to be patient, as the CT8 will not achieve Audi/BMW/Mercedes status overnight.
When to Expect ItSometime during calendar year 2019, possibly by spring, as a 2020 model.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/magazine/1508-cadillac-ct8-will-be-the-brands-first-true-flagship-in-modern-era/

I hope I didn't quote too much but that really is all the little article was so I thought it wasn't worth cutting it down..

Anyway, just some more exciting news coming from one of our D3!

I sure as hell hope the El Miraj styling isn't used in this class. It's not refined or advanced enough for 2015, never mind 2019 (not that styling advances that quickly at all).

Ciel body is the way to go in this segment; tweak the front fascia and it would be an absolute killer.

car_photo_458254.jpg?itok=6wC347nW

• Upvote 1

I bet the success of the CT6 will impact the development budget for the CT8.  If the CT6 sales lag the first year or two, I wonder how much money they'll put into the CT8.

Seeing as how there were zero CT6-sized cars sold before they drafted the Omega's engineering budget, my answer would be: still quite a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the 8 is counting on sales of the CT6, then I fear the worse for Cadillac.  

Unless customers completely look past the fact that the CTS is priced much less, and is not selling so easily.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Nonsense.

Excellence for the sake of excellence is a desirable thing. Leave the mediocrity to lesser automakers :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

^ Sometimes just putting their name across multiple "classes" of cars will open enough eyes to realize what great products they are producing. Because pre CT6 why would anybody even look towards Cadillac as a top tier lux when they only stop at E Class sized vehicles and nothing more? Well when you double up on that you're doubling your audience too(okay the math isn't accurate but you get the jist of it).  Because even people who don't know cars or Mercedes much know when they see an S(Number) that it's a high end luxury car and then correlate that all the way down to their CLA. So just having it, I would think, would help out the rest of the lineup get recognition(well deserved, at that)

Sorry mine was directed at Wings.

Edited by ccap41

Unless customers completely look past the fact that the CTS is priced much less, and is not selling so easily.

Different size and class of car. People don't look past the price of a S class and then buy an E-Class because it is so much cheaper and the same would apply to Cadillac if they do it right.

I wish the CT6 had a little more flair in the front end design. There's much better differentiation between the ATS and CTS visually than between the CTS and CT6.

I wish the CT6 had a little more flair in the front end design. There's much better differentiation between the ATS and CTS visually than between the CTS and CT6.

But if we follow the Mighty SMK who thinks MB is the worlds best then this is OK because the higher end models are not to be so bold in their design and more generically flowing.

The CT6 is a fairly big car as it is, like 203 or 204 inches long.  I think what Cadillac will look at more is how the CT6 sells and at what price.  Because previous attempts at high dollar Cadillacs like the Allante, XLR, STS-V all flopped.  The Escalade is the only Cadillac with a base price over $48,000 to ever really sell.  If the CT6 is a hit, I think they'll put more money into the CT8, if the CT6 flops and sells 300 cars a month, how much money will they put into a bigger, more expensive car that will sell even less.

But if we follow the Mighty SMK who thinks MB is the worlds best then this is OK because the higher end models are not to be so bold in their design and more generically flowing.

The S-class has always had a more elegant and classic design, that is what the car is about.  It isn't a shouty, obnoxious bling mobile.  If you want flair Mercedes made these:

5438001718_0bdd561dd2_z.jpg

The CT6 is a fairly big car as it is, like 203 or 204 inches long.  I think what Cadillac will look at more is how the CT6 sells and at what price.  Because previous attempts at high dollar Cadillacs like the Allante, XLR, STS-V all flopped.  The Escalade is the only Cadillac with a base price over $48,000 to ever really sell.  If the CT6 is a hit, I think they'll put more money into the CT8, if the CT6 flops and sells 300 cars a month, how much money will they put into a bigger, more expensive car that will sell even less.

Pretty much my sentiment exactly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

300/mnth is an excellent sales goal for the CT6. 

Image cars often are built with a 'big picture' WRT profits.

Suppose they get 300 a month here, 300 a month in China.  That is only 7200 cars a year, I don't know if that makes profit when the chassis underpins only that one model for now.  The turbo V6 could be scaled across other Cadillacs, so development cost on that shouldn't be too big a deal, but do they re-coup the chassis cost, and interior design cost, wind tunnel cost, certifications, advertising costs, etc at 7,000 global units a year?

• Downvote 1

Immaterial if strong press & image-boosting is the result.

Periodic evaluation is always good practice, but Cadillac hopefully has moved beyond individual model accounting tables and is looking at the bigger picture now.

• Upvote 3

Porsche spend $727,000 to build a 959, but sold it for $239,000.  They took the loss because it was a halo builder, and got them lots of press and let them sell more 911s and 928s and 944s, etc.  And it established Porsche up there with Ferrari and Lamborghini at the time.  On a sports car I think you can afford to lose money on production because you'll get media coverage and press for your brand.  I don't see a sedan being featured on all the TV shows, or ending up on t-shirts or bedroom wall posters the way a supercar would.

To use an analogy, Disney paid over a billion dollars to buy Star Wars.  Even if they don't recoup that in profit from the movies (which they probably will) they still have cartoons, toys, action figures, t-shirts, video games, etc to sell.  GM can't use the Omega platform anywhere else except for big Cadillacs (or a big expensive Buick), so the CT6 and CT8 can't really afford to be long term money losers.  Otherwise the bean counters won't authorize replacements.

• Upvote 1

Back in my old place there was a guy who absolutely hounded me on what I thought the CT6 would sell like. He thought that being a GM fan I would trot out some wildly inflated number that would be easy to pick holes in.

I will say here what I said there: in all likelihood it will sell in high four/low five figures annually. Sales numbers aren't going to come right away when you're pushing into these segments, because brand loyalties are too strong.

Anyways, when that guy read what I thought it would sell like he quieted down a bit and went back to trying to moderate the place. Which is a story for another day, possibly :(

I bet the success of the CT6 will impact the development budget for the CT8.  If the CT6 sales lag the first year or two, I wonder how much money they'll put into the CT8.

Its already been set in the allocated budget. The CT8 was gonna happen before the CT6 ever debuted,.. logical no? The naming scheme suggests it 4GodSake.

be honest.. everything in U wants the CT6 to fail. 

Hey Goof.. why the hell does the sales of one car mean anything to the customers seeking another car in another segment? The 1series had deplorable sales.. yet it never seem to effect the 3series sales

• Upvote 1

I see a different car

2015-cadillac-cts-618-p2.jpg

2016cadillacct6-011.jpg

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

Back in my old place there was a guy who absolutely hounded me on what I thought the CT6 would sell like. He thought that being a GM fan I would trot out some wildly inflated number that would be easy to pick holes in.

I will say here what I said there: in all likelihood it will sell in high four/low five figures annually. Sales numbers aren't going to come right away when you're pushing into these segments, because brand loyalties are too strong.

Anyways, when that guy read what I thought it would sell like he quieted down a bit and went back to trying to moderate the place. Which is a story for another day, possibly :(

U are talking about that dweeb Dequindre over at Motor Trend forum who is a Mod.. and also posts at GMI pretending to love GM but constantly talking $h! about it and boosting up Ford. He usually has a Lincoln avatar like the one Wings has in his avy right now. I think they might be the same guy..

I predict 700 out the gate.. possibly more. Cadillac for the most part mimics Audi sales at the moment. The A8 sells about 700 a month

Go back and look at the facts. The Allante and XLR flopped because Cadillac.. or rather GM lost interest and never.. not once really updated these cars after the first year. The XLR was on a C5 platform... even after the C6 debuted. The STS-V didn't flop.. GM changed course in the midst of a BK.. a great deal of programs got moved. The STS lives.. as the CTS and CTS-V

The ALLANTE?

We're going back thirty years to pick holes in Cadillac?

Ok then... Why don't we make fun of BMW for doing a drop-door Z1? Or Mercedes for their 134hp five-banger diesel in an S-Class?

Talk about grasping at straws. Yeesh

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Back in December, we reported that the Cadillac ATS sedan would be no more for the 2019 model year via a General Motors VIN Decoder document. Only the coupe would stick around. Cadillac declined to comment at the time.
      Yesterday, new evidence to the sedan's departure came to light via GM's fleet order guide.
      The Truth About Cars tried to get a comment from Cadillac about this new information, but wasn't able to. That changed this morning.
      “This year will bring forth significant changes to our product portfolio, most notably with the introduction of the all-new XT4 SUV as well as concluding the successful lifecycle of the ATS Sedan in North America. The ATS Coupe, which is on a later lifecycle, will continue into 2019,” wrote Cadillac spokesman Donny Nordlicht in an email to The Truth About Cars.
      The ending of ATS sedan production is to allow GM to start the retooling process at Lansing Grand River Assembly plant for the "next generation of Cadillac sedans”. We're assuming this means the upcoming CT5 - replacement for ATS, CTS, and XTS - will be built here.
      Source: The Truth About Cars, 2

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Back in December, we reported that the Cadillac ATS sedan would be no more for the 2019 model year via a General Motors VIN Decoder document. Only the coupe would stick around. Cadillac declined to comment at the time.
      Yesterday, new evidence to the sedan's departure came to light via GM's fleet order guide.
      The Truth About Cars tried to get a comment from Cadillac about this new information, but wasn't able to. That changed this morning.
      “This year will bring forth significant changes to our product portfolio, most notably with the introduction of the all-new XT4 SUV as well as concluding the successful lifecycle of the ATS Sedan in North America. The ATS Coupe, which is on a later lifecycle, will continue into 2019,” wrote Cadillac spokesman Donny Nordlicht in an email to The Truth About Cars.
      The ending of ATS sedan production is to allow GM to start the retooling process at Lansing Grand River Assembly plant for the "next generation of Cadillac sedans”. We're assuming this means the upcoming CT5 - replacement for ATS, CTS, and XTS - will be built here.
      Source: The Truth About Cars, 2
    • By William Maley
      There has been a lot of talk about Cadillac working on a three-row crossover, but no substance to this. That changed this week as spy photos of the three-row crossover, possibly named the XT6 came out.
      The test mule is heavily camouflaged, but we can pull some details out. The front end looks somewhat similar to the recently launched XT4 with a large grille. Headlights appear to be off-the-shelf projector units - we're expecting different units on the production model. Around back, the tailgate design is similar to the XT5. As Car and Driver pointed out, the XT6's roofline shape is alike to the Chevrolet Traverse.
      Underpinning the XT6 is expected to be the long-wheelbase version of the C1XX architecture, which also underpins the Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse. No details on powertrains, but we're guessing the 3.6L V6 found in the Enclave and Traverse will be used for the Cadillac variant. This would be paired with an nine-speed automatic and the choice of front or all-wheel drive.
      Everyone seems to think that the XT6 will debut at the LA Auto Show in November, with sales to begin next spring.
      Source: Car and Driver, CarScoops

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Cadillac's leadership is seeing a major change as current president Johan de Nysschen will be stepping down effective immediately. In his place will be Steve Carlisle who is currently president and managing director of GM Canada.
      “We appreciate Johan’s efforts over the last four years in setting a stronger foundation for Cadillac. Looking forward, the world is changing rapidly, and, beginning with the launch of the new XT4, it is paramount that we capitalize immediately on the opportunities that arise from this rate of change. This move will further accelerate our efforts in that regard,” said General Motors President Dan Ammann in a statement.
      No reason was given as to why de Nysschen is leaving after leading the brand for over three years. His tenure saw Cadillac make a number of dramatic changes including moving the brand's headquarters to New York City and introducing a new nomenclature system.
      Steve Carlisle has been part of GM since 1982 when he was an industrial engineering co-op student at the Oshawa assembly plant. He was named the president of GM Canada back in 2014 and helped the region get back on its feet. Last year, GM was number one in retail sales in Canada, with Buick, Cadillac, and GMC posting their best ever sales.
      “The potential for Cadillac across the globe is incredible and I’m honored to be chosen to be a part of mapping that future. I look forward to building on our current momentum as we continue on our mission to position Cadillac at the pinnacle of luxury,” said Carlisle.
      We'll be updating this story if any new information comes out.
      UPDATE: Automotive News and Wards Auto have learned some possible reasons as to why de Nysschen was shown the door. One is Cadillac's slumping sales. In 2017, sales in the U.S. dropped eight percent - the second straight year of a sales decline. Sales are doing slightly better in 2018 - up 8.1 percent - some of this is due to incentives being placed on slow-selling models.
      Project Pinnacle which was de Nysschen's ambitious incentive plan that would divide dealers into five tiers based on sales volume. Each tier would have different requirements in terms of showroom and service, along with perks. One contentious point that irked a number of dealers was smaller dealers setting up a "virtual showroom" where buyers could order vehicles. These dealers would not be able to stock Cadillac vehicles. Since then, Project Pinnacle has undergone a number of changes.
      Wards Auto says de Nysschen didn't move fast enough to join the fast-growing trend of crossovers. Cadillac has introduced the XT4 at the New York Auto Show last month are there plans to launch a couple more in the coming years, but this is only going to widen the gap between Cadillac and competitors.
      Both outlets report there has been growing tension between de Nysschen and GM. Such examples include him proclaiming that "Cadillac would be the technical leader at GM in the future," partly due to the launch of SuperCruise. Apparently, de Nysschen forgot about the Chevrolet Bolt and Volt. There was also the comment he made about Apple's CarPlay saying it was “extremely clunky”. (Mr. de Nysschen, have you even used CUE?! -WM)
      Source: General Motors
      GM Names Steve Carlisle Senior VP and President, Cadillac
      Johan de Nysschen leaves GM to pursue other interests; Travis Hester becomes president and managing director, GM Canada DETROIT — General Motors today announced the appointment of Steve Carlisle as General Motors senior vice president and president, Cadillac, replacing Johan de Nysschen, who is leaving the company effective immediately.
      Travis Hester, currently vice president, Global Product Programs, is named president and managing director, GM Canada, replacing Carlisle. The transition will begin immediately.
      “We appreciate Johan’s efforts over the last four years in setting a stronger foundation for Cadillac,” said General Motors President Dan Ammann. “Looking forward, the world is changing rapidly, and, beginning with the launch of the new XT4, it is paramount that we capitalize immediately on the opportunities that arise from this rate of change. This move will further accelerate our efforts in that regard.”
      Carlisle was most recently president and managing director of GM Canada, where he led a resurgence of the GM Canada franchise. In 2017, GM was number one in automotive retail sales in Canada, with Buick, GMC and Cadillac achieving their best ever sales years. Carlisle also reestablished key relationships in Canada with retailers, employees and government officials.
      “The potential for Cadillac across the globe is incredible and I’m honored to be chosen to be a part of mapping that future,” said Carlisle. “I look forward to building on our current momentum as we continue on our mission to position Cadillac at the pinnacle of luxury.”
      Carlisle will report to Dan Ammann.
      Carlisle began his GM career in 1982 as an industrial engineering co-op student at the Oshawa Truck Assembly Plant. Over the course of his career with General Motors, Carlisle has held several senior leadership positions that have taken him across the globe, including vice president, Global Product Planning (2010-2014); vice president, U.S. Sales Operations (2010); and president and managing director, Southeast Asia Operations (2007-2010).
      Hester brings extensive global leadership and global product development experience to his new role at GM Canada. Since 2016, he has led the team responsible for balancing all aspects of vehicle development, including quality, cost, appearance, purchasing, customer acceptance and performance targets.
      Hester will report to Alan Batey, president, GM North America.
      Hester began his GM career in 1995 in Australia as a technical support engineer for GM Holden. He held a variety of positions in Australia before moving to the U.S. in 2005. Since 2005, Hester has held engineering positions in both the U.S. and China, including chief engineer for several global premium luxury vehicles, the Buick Regal, Buick LaCrosse and the Chevrolet Sonic. Hester became vice president, Global Product Programs, in 2016.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      There's a war going on between Cadillac and Lincoln. With the new Navigator, Lincoln has a very compelling alternative to Cadillac's aging Escalade. But Cadillac is fighting back by dumping a bunch of cash on the hood.
      Bloomberg obtained a memo sent to Cadillac dealers that announces a new promotion where current lease customers of 2016 Escalades are being offered a $10,000 discount on a new Escalade. Owners of 2016 Escalades have to make do with a $7,500 discount. The promotion runs until the end of May. GM Spokesman Jim Cain confirmed the promotion to Bloomberg.
      This isn't the first time Cadillac has put a huge amount of money onto the hood of the Escalade. Back in November, Cadillac was offering owners of Lincoln models from 1999 to the current model year a $5,000 discount on an Escalade.
      Cadillac still holds a significant edge over the Navigator in terms of sales - 8,111 Escalades vs. 4,062 Navigators through March. But Lincoln is gaining ground with Navigators only sitting on dealer lots 10 days on average. 
      “GM is trying to keep Escalade buyers out of Navigators, for sure. You’ve got a fresh Navigator and you’ve got an Escalade that is not new and is starting to age,” said Jeff Schuster, an analyst at LMC Automotive.
      “This is a particular battle that GM doesn’t want to lose ground in. It speaks to the importance of the Escalade.”
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
  • My Clubs