• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

ccap41

CT8 to be First True Flagship in Modern Era

cadillac-ct8-rendering-front-three-quart What We KnowThe 2016 CT6 is not Cadillac’s flagship, General Motors product chief Mark Reuss says. That role will be given to an even larger rear-wheel-drive sedan coming within four years. While the Cadillac CT6 is a bit bigger than a short-wheelbase BMW 7 Series, we expect the so-called CT8 to be slightly larger than the long-wheelbase Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The CT8, like the CT6, will ride on the new Omega platform, which employs GM’s patented process for welding aluminum. If the CT6 is any guide, the CT8 will be hundreds of pounds lighter than the S-Class. But the CT8 will be more than a long-wheelbase version of the CT6. Its styling should be more stately and upright, and it should put greater emphasis on ride comfort than handling dynamics. Engine choices will likely include the CT6’s new twin-turbo, 3.0-liter V-6 and a naturally aspirated, 3.6-liter V-6. Also expect a new V-8 from the same engine family, perhaps a twin-turbo, 4.5-liter example that will make 500-plus horsepower, as hinted by the Cadillac Elmiraj show car. The transmission will be an eight-speed automatic, unless the new 10-speed GM is developing with Ford arrives in time.
Why It MattersAlthough it doesn’t show on sales charts, Cadillac is enjoying a renaissance thanks to new models that match or beat their BMW and Mercedes-Benz rivals on many metrics. The CT8 promises to take these advances even further, making this car worthy of a window sticker that reads $95,000 or higher. Expect the CT8 to come with all the technology, safety, and luxury features Cadillac can muster to take on the Mercedes S-Class as the standard-bearer in this segment. Just as important, a big, long CT8 will give Cadillac a much-needed status symbol, a car worthy of shuttling important business and government leaders to global conferences.
Potential PitfallsAs much as Cadillac has improved, it has yet to achieve Lexus-like overall quality or Audi-like interior execution. The CT8 must do both. Specifically, its new engines must idle more smoothly than the engines we’ve experienced in the ATS and CTS, and the CUE infotainment system must respond quicker to user inputs. Even if Cadillac achieves all this right out of the gate, GM will have to be patient, as the CT8 will not achieve Audi/BMW/Mercedes status overnight.
When to Expect ItSometime during calendar year 2019, possibly by spring, as a 2020 model.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/magazine/1508-cadillac-ct8-will-be-the-brands-first-true-flagship-in-modern-era/

I hope I didn't quote too much but that really is all the little article was so I thought it wasn't worth cutting it down..

Anyway, just some more exciting news coming from one of our D3!

I sure as hell hope the El Miraj styling isn't used in this class. It's not refined or advanced enough for 2015, never mind 2019 (not that styling advances that quickly at all).

Ciel body is the way to go in this segment; tweak the front fascia and it would be an absolute killer.

car_photo_458254.jpg?itok=6wC347nW

• Upvote 1

I bet the success of the CT6 will impact the development budget for the CT8.  If the CT6 sales lag the first year or two, I wonder how much money they'll put into the CT8.

Seeing as how there were zero CT6-sized cars sold before they drafted the Omega's engineering budget, my answer would be: still quite a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the 8 is counting on sales of the CT6, then I fear the worse for Cadillac.  

Unless customers completely look past the fact that the CTS is priced much less, and is not selling so easily.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Nonsense.

Excellence for the sake of excellence is a desirable thing. Leave the mediocrity to lesser automakers :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

^ Sometimes just putting their name across multiple "classes" of cars will open enough eyes to realize what great products they are producing. Because pre CT6 why would anybody even look towards Cadillac as a top tier lux when they only stop at E Class sized vehicles and nothing more? Well when you double up on that you're doubling your audience too(okay the math isn't accurate but you get the jist of it).  Because even people who don't know cars or Mercedes much know when they see an S(Number) that it's a high end luxury car and then correlate that all the way down to their CLA. So just having it, I would think, would help out the rest of the lineup get recognition(well deserved, at that)

Sorry mine was directed at Wings.

Edited by ccap41

Unless customers completely look past the fact that the CTS is priced much less, and is not selling so easily.

Different size and class of car. People don't look past the price of a S class and then buy an E-Class because it is so much cheaper and the same would apply to Cadillac if they do it right.

I wish the CT6 had a little more flair in the front end design. There's much better differentiation between the ATS and CTS visually than between the CTS and CT6.

But if we follow the Mighty SMK who thinks MB is the worlds best then this is OK because the higher end models are not to be so bold in their design and more generically flowing.

The CT6 is a fairly big car as it is, like 203 or 204 inches long.  I think what Cadillac will look at more is how the CT6 sells and at what price.  Because previous attempts at high dollar Cadillacs like the Allante, XLR, STS-V all flopped.  The Escalade is the only Cadillac with a base price over $48,000 to ever really sell.  If the CT6 is a hit, I think they'll put more money into the CT8, if the CT6 flops and sells 300 cars a month, how much money will they put into a bigger, more expensive car that will sell even less.

I wish the CT6 had a little more flair in the front end design. There's much better differentiation between the ATS and CTS visually than between the CTS and CT6.

But if we follow the Mighty SMK who thinks MB is the worlds best then this is OK because the higher end models are not to be so bold in their design and more generically flowing.

The S-class has always had a more elegant and classic design, that is what the car is about.  It isn't a shouty, obnoxious bling mobile.  If you want flair Mercedes made these:

5438001718_0bdd561dd2_z.jpg

The CT6 is a fairly big car as it is, like 203 or 204 inches long.  I think what Cadillac will look at more is how the CT6 sells and at what price.  Because previous attempts at high dollar Cadillacs like the Allante, XLR, STS-V all flopped.  The Escalade is the only Cadillac with a base price over $48,000 to ever really sell.  If the CT6 is a hit, I think they'll put more money into the CT8, if the CT6 flops and sells 300 cars a month, how much money will they put into a bigger, more expensive car that will sell even less.

Pretty much my sentiment exactly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

300/mnth is an excellent sales goal for the CT6. 

Image cars often are built with a 'big picture' WRT profits.

Suppose they get 300 a month here, 300 a month in China.  That is only 7200 cars a year, I don't know if that makes profit when the chassis underpins only that one model for now.  The turbo V6 could be scaled across other Cadillacs, so development cost on that shouldn't be too big a deal, but do they re-coup the chassis cost, and interior design cost, wind tunnel cost, certifications, advertising costs, etc at 7,000 global units a year?

• Downvote 1

Immaterial if strong press & image-boosting is the result.

Periodic evaluation is always good practice, but Cadillac hopefully has moved beyond individual model accounting tables and is looking at the bigger picture now.

• Upvote 3

Porsche spend $727,000 to build a 959, but sold it for $239,000.  They took the loss because it was a halo builder, and got them lots of press and let them sell more 911s and 928s and 944s, etc.  And it established Porsche up there with Ferrari and Lamborghini at the time.  On a sports car I think you can afford to lose money on production because you'll get media coverage and press for your brand.  I don't see a sedan being featured on all the TV shows, or ending up on t-shirts or bedroom wall posters the way a supercar would.

To use an analogy, Disney paid over a billion dollars to buy Star Wars.  Even if they don't recoup that in profit from the movies (which they probably will) they still have cartoons, toys, action figures, t-shirts, video games, etc to sell.  GM can't use the Omega platform anywhere else except for big Cadillacs (or a big expensive Buick), so the CT6 and CT8 can't really afford to be long term money losers.  Otherwise the bean counters won't authorize replacements.

• Upvote 1

Back in my old place there was a guy who absolutely hounded me on what I thought the CT6 would sell like. He thought that being a GM fan I would trot out some wildly inflated number that would be easy to pick holes in.

I will say here what I said there: in all likelihood it will sell in high four/low five figures annually. Sales numbers aren't going to come right away when you're pushing into these segments, because brand loyalties are too strong.

Anyways, when that guy read what I thought it would sell like he quieted down a bit and went back to trying to moderate the place. Which is a story for another day, possibly :(

I bet the success of the CT6 will impact the development budget for the CT8.  If the CT6 sales lag the first year or two, I wonder how much money they'll put into the CT8.

Its already been set in the allocated budget. The CT8 was gonna happen before the CT6 ever debuted,.. logical no? The naming scheme suggests it 4GodSake.

be honest.. everything in U wants the CT6 to fail. 

Hey Goof.. why the hell does the sales of one car mean anything to the customers seeking another car in another segment? The 1series had deplorable sales.. yet it never seem to effect the 3series sales

• Upvote 1

I see a different car

2015-cadillac-cts-618-p2.jpg

2016cadillacct6-011.jpg

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

Back in my old place there was a guy who absolutely hounded me on what I thought the CT6 would sell like. He thought that being a GM fan I would trot out some wildly inflated number that would be easy to pick holes in.

I will say here what I said there: in all likelihood it will sell in high four/low five figures annually. Sales numbers aren't going to come right away when you're pushing into these segments, because brand loyalties are too strong.

Anyways, when that guy read what I thought it would sell like he quieted down a bit and went back to trying to moderate the place. Which is a story for another day, possibly :(

U are talking about that dweeb Dequindre over at Motor Trend forum who is a Mod.. and also posts at GMI pretending to love GM but constantly talking $h! about it and boosting up Ford. He usually has a Lincoln avatar like the one Wings has in his avy right now. I think they might be the same guy..

I predict 700 out the gate.. possibly more. Cadillac for the most part mimics Audi sales at the moment. The A8 sells about 700 a month

Go back and look at the facts. The Allante and XLR flopped because Cadillac.. or rather GM lost interest and never.. not once really updated these cars after the first year. The XLR was on a C5 platform... even after the C6 debuted. The STS-V didn't flop.. GM changed course in the midst of a BK.. a great deal of programs got moved. The STS lives.. as the CTS and CTS-V

The ALLANTE?

We're going back thirty years to pick holes in Cadillac?

Ok then... Why don't we make fun of BMW for doing a drop-door Z1? Or Mercedes for their 134hp five-banger diesel in an S-Class?

Talk about grasping at straws. Yeesh

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      A fresh set of spy shots have come, revealing Cadillac's upcoming CT4 sedan. This will be replacement for the slow-selling ATS.
      But you might be thinking this is the larger CT5, the replacement for the CTS. Both vehicles are dressed up in similar-looking camouflage and have the same overall shape. We'll admit that we were confused when we first laid eyes on the photos, but Autoblog has come to rescue to by having spy shots of both the CT4 and CT5 to help point out differences.
      The key difference between the two models is in the back. If the cutout for license plate is at the bumper and a slightly rounded trunk lid, that's the CT4. If the cutout is higher and the trundled is slightly flatter, that's the CT5. There are some other tells such as the CT4's greenhouse ending closer to centerline of the rear wheels, and the size of side-view mirrors. One item that is similar on both models is the influence of the Escala concept in the front - large grille and slim headlights.
      Both sedans are expected to use an updated version of the Alpha RWD platform.
      Expect to see the CT4 debut sometime towards the end of 2019.
      Source: Autoblog

View full article
    • By William Maley
      A fresh set of spy shots have come, revealing Cadillac's upcoming CT4 sedan. This will be replacement for the slow-selling ATS.
      But you might be thinking this is the larger CT5, the replacement for the CTS. Both vehicles are dressed up in similar-looking camouflage and have the same overall shape. We'll admit that we were confused when we first laid eyes on the photos, but Autoblog has come to rescue to by having spy shots of both the CT4 and CT5 to help point out differences.
      The key difference between the two models is in the back. If the cutout for license plate is at the bumper and a slightly rounded trunk lid, that's the CT4. If the cutout is higher and the trundled is slightly flatter, that's the CT5. There are some other tells such as the CT4's greenhouse ending closer to centerline of the rear wheels, and the size of side-view mirrors. One item that is similar on both models is the influence of the Escala concept in the front - large grille and slim headlights.
      Both sedans are expected to use an updated version of the Alpha RWD platform.
      Expect to see the CT4 debut sometime towards the end of 2019.
      Source: Autoblog
    • By William Maley
      The U.S. Patent and and Trademark Office (USPTO) sometimes provides some clues as to what automakers have possibly in the works. Case in point are a set of drawings depicting a new coupe for Cadillac.
      General Motors filed the patent for a “vehicle body exterior” on February 14th, 2017. The patent was approved by the USPTO earlier this week.
      The drawings reveal a fair amount of influence from the Escala. Up front resides a trapezoidal grille and a set of slim headlights. Along the side profile, the design shares the Escala's low-slung roof and creases. The back features a trunk lid with chiseling near the taillights.
      What could this patent be hinting at?
      Cadillac Society believes this could be the coupe variant for the upcoming CT5. CarScoops thinks it could be a concept of some sort, pointing out the side-view cameras. Possible electric/plug-in hybrid coupe We'll keep you posted if anything new comes to light on this possible new coupe.
      Source: Cadillac Society, CarScoops
      Thanks to @balthazar for the news tip

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The U.S. Patent and and Trademark Office (USPTO) sometimes provides some clues as to what automakers have possibly in the works. Case in point are a set of drawings depicting a new coupe for Cadillac.
      General Motors filed the patent for a “vehicle body exterior” on February 14th, 2017. The patent was approved by the USPTO earlier this week.
      The drawings reveal a fair amount of influence from the Escala. Up front resides a trapezoidal grille and a set of slim headlights. Along the side profile, the design shares the Escala's low-slung roof and creases. The back features a trunk lid with chiseling near the taillights.
      What could this patent be hinting at?
      Cadillac Society believes this could be the coupe variant for the upcoming CT5. CarScoops thinks it could be a concept of some sort, pointing out the side-view cameras. Possible electric/plug-in hybrid coupe We'll keep you posted if anything new comes to light on this possible new coupe.
      Source: Cadillac Society, CarScoops
      Thanks to @balthazar for the news tip
    • By ccap41
      Well, pretty simple, who wore it better?  

• My Clubs