Oil Change Thread

ccap41

In my case is just seemed like a rough and louder idle along with more noise under hard acceleration.  Seems back to its normal self after the oil change. 

We'll I was told by my dealership that due to the close tolerances even on a pure synthetic, the engines get nosier as the oil gets dirtier and one should replace it. Also with the new dexos 1 and 2 spec GM, Ford, or any auto company could decline warranty if the wrong oil is used. Pretty clear to either use dexos specific oil or go pure synthetic.

Good explanation on the new oils here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/02/gm-engine-oil/

The Dexos is full synthetic anyway I thought

And yes, I did have a senior moment.... but I have no way of knowing how many miles are on the oil. I've always used the oil life monitor. It was probably the 4th 5th oil change ever, so if you figure the oil change monitor is fairly consistent, then I average either 6,600 per oil change or 8,250 per oil change.   This is the lowest I've ever let the oil change monitor go though.. I usually change right at 10%.

In my case is just seemed like a rough and louder idle along with more noise under hard acceleration.  Seems back to its normal self after the oil change.

We'll I was told by my dealership that due to the close tolerances even on a pure synthetic, the engines get nosier as the oil gets dirtier and one should replace it. Also with the new dexos 1 and 2 spec GM, Ford, or any auto company could decline warranty if the wrong oil is used. Pretty clear to either use dexos specific oil or go pure synthetic.

No, there are syn blends that are dexos approved. Actually more GM dealers will us an AC Delco oil that is a syn blend that's dexos approved. It's only like 3.5/qt retail. But that doesn't mean it is a bad oil. If it's what they use for their oil life monitors and you can go ~10k on it then it's still gotta be pretty good.

And yes, I did have a senior moment.... but I have no way of knowing how many miles are on the oil. I've always used the oil life monitor. It was probably the 4th 5th oil change ever, so if you figure the oil change monitor is fairly consistent, then I average either 6,600 per oil change or 8,250 per oil change.   This is the lowest I've ever let the oil change monitor go though.. I usually change right at 10%.

Okay I gotcha I gotcha.

I guess I just always set my second trip odometer for my oil changes. That way I can also see what my mpg was over that entire span as well.

No, there are syn blends that are dexos approved. Actually more GM dealers will us an AC Delco oil that is a syn blend that's dexos approved. It's only like 3.5/qt retail. But that doesn't mean it is a bad oil. If it's what they use for their oil life monitors and you can go ~10k on it then it's still gotta be pretty good.

Okay I gotcha I gotcha.

I guess I just always set my second trip odometer for my oil changes. That way I can also see what my mpg was over that entire span as well.

If my car doesn't have an active maintenance reminder, I usually try to stick with even numbers and just memorize the mileage.

And yes, Dexos is an oil specification and it's generally a minimum of synthetic blend or higher. It's also just a marketing/licensing scheme, so Dexos approved doesn't necessarily mean anything. This is a good read about all that nonsense. 

Edited by blackviper8891

Yeah the whole Dexos crap is BS but if you buy a GM you don't really have a choice. That is why some high end oils don't have the "spec" because they simply don't want to pay for the "spec" even though their stuff surpasses it by miles. I believe Amsoil is one example, I think Royal purple is another one. 

Anyone notice their car being sensitive to needing an oil change? I just did the oil on the Buick and it is noticeably quieter. It still had 5% left on the DIC oil change monitor.

Yeah, when my Cobalt has had oil for a while ( I don't put crazy amount of miles on it), it tends to get a bit pissy. It's quite happy with the fresh oil it has now though.....

Yeah the whole Dexos crap is BS but if you buy a GM you don't really have a choice. That is why some high end oils don't have the "spec" because they simply don't want to pay for the "spec" even though their stuff surpasses it by miles. I believe Amsoil is one example, I think Royal purple is another one. 

Good news is that GM can't do a thing about it if you use another oil. Let's just say I heard it from a little birdy. :thumbsup:

Most people use synthetic in their cars at this point anyways, with the fact that almost all the oils are dexos certed, so it is kinda hard not to run into one....

All Dexos offers over SN oils is that they clean a very slight bit better, with a slight uptick in being able not to be broken down (or hold up better). That's it....nothing fancy at all. Basically oil made for the turbo'd cars.....

And pretty much ANY synthetic can beat the dexos spec anyways......even walmart's house brand synthetic!

Best News, OIL Futures fell to their lowest level in 7 years. Closing at $37.65 per barrel. Cheap oil should push gas prices below $2 a gallon nationwide this winter.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/cheaper-oil-buoys-consumers-hammers-producers/ar-AAg89HD?ocid=ansmsnnews11

Better News OPEC has decided to NOT cut production over concern of loosing market share to the increased pumping of the US. This helps to continue to push oil prices lower. This should also help auto companies sell new auto's.

So does that mean most new cars can't use conventional oil? What about cheapies like me?

I mean, the last time an oil change was done was when ... dear god, the 95 Maxima was given to the grim reaper about 5 years ago. 

Around 3000 miles or so changed the oil. 

The car had some pretty bad electrical Gremlins.

Basically I got away from cars because I realized I could afford one, but didn't want to, I led myself to believe that living the poverty life would grant great riches once older.

Now I am not so sure...

So does that mean most new cars can't use conventional oil? What about cheapies like me?

I mean, the last time an oil change was done was when ... dear god, the 95 Maxima was given to the grim reaper about 5 years ago. 

Basically I got away from cars because I realized I could afford one, but didn't want to, I led myself to believe that living the poverty life would grant great riches once older.

Now I am not so sure...

Yes and no. They may require a synthetic oil but going by the oil life monitor on probably any new car will yield 7500-12000miles depending on your driving. So while the oil changes will cost 2-3 times more(not so much if you do it yourself) but it will last you 2-4 times as long as the old 3000 mile intervals. So while it may cost roughly the same over 10k miles you won't have the trouble of doing the oil change and time that goes with it.

I mean you could always get Mobil 1 Extended Performance(~27$) which guarantees you 15,000 miles of protection and a Fram Ultra filter(~9$) and they both guarantee 15,000 miles. $36 before tax for what used to be 5 oil changes is fan-freakin-tastic. Now that's doing it yourself.. I've seen synthetic oil changes are quick lube places costing anywhere from 55-90 dollars and I'm pretty certain those are still a cheapo filter so you'd have to bring in your own filter and most will at least credit you their filter back but that's only like $2-3 back on top of your $9 filter. So about $60-95 if you took your car somewhere. This is also for the standard 5qts. Obviously if your car takes more it'll cost a little more.

Now I am not so sure... 

Believe it or not, my local Kia dealership used plain old Quakerstate/Pennzoil products in their cars/trucks. Also why you can get an oil change for 14.95 I guess

I am sure you could, but you would be changing it much more.....

Now I am not so sure... 

Believe it or not, my local Kia dealership used plain old Quakerstate/Pennzoil products in their cars/trucks. Also why you can get an oil change for 14.95 I guess

I am sure you could, but you would be changing it much more.....

Any place that advertises oil changes south of $20 usually has additional fees like disposal of old oil which most just include in their prices.

Oh yeah, I'm currently at 4145 miles on the current oil change.. I almost hope I have to drive around this week just so I don't feel as bad wasting the oil when I hopefully change it this weekend. This weather is just too damn good for this time of year. I woke up at 615 this morning and it was 44degrees out and the high is in the low 60's. IN DECEMBER!

Now I am not so sure...

Sometimes the cheaper route is buying the higher quality stuff.  What is cheaper over 10,000 miles, 3 oil changes every 3,000 miles at $20 each or 1 oil change at 8,000 miles at $40 each?

Poverty life  :violin::

Lubricating a bicycle drive-train for the whole year: $10. 

Cost of fuel: Fat in the legs and cholesterol clogging the arteries.

Insurance: a helmet that should keep me from being a vegetable.

Wear and tear: about $100 - 300 every year in parts. I spent about $600 though this year in high performance hubs for a wheel build, wheels, brakes and stuffs.

I guess I can quote the "oil changes" on my bike in the low cent figures.  :bowdown:   

Biking only makes sense if you do not live in an area with constant rain, snow, etc. Bike riding is mostly a warm weather or at least dry weather area. Not one to have to get soaked riding to work, then need to take a shower before I can work and have to take one when I get home.

PASS, rather drive an auto or sleep on a bus while someone else drive me to work.

*sigh* I need to get back into biking...

I hate my bike though... and it's relatively new.

Me too...

Me three. 

I actually love my bike but it's just tough to find the time to go and in my area you have to drive a little to find good triails. I have a Giant Talon 2 29er. After looking on their website they only have 1 Talon 29er now. Ya know what, maybe this weekend after the oil change I'll throw the bike in the hatch and go find some trails.

Question for you all, I have never done this myself, but a coworker and I was talking and he swears by this. He says it is easier on the engine and faster to lubricate by filling up the new oil filter with clean oil before installing.

Wonder what others think of this?

Question for you all, I have never done this myself, but a coworker and I was talking and he swears by this. He says it is easier on the engine and faster to lubricate by filling up the new oil filter with clean oil before installing.

On many cars, that would make installing the oil filter rather cumbersome due to the mounting position of the filter.   On my Honda, the filter mounts exactly horizontal... good luck keeping the oil in it while you screw it on.

Personally, I think his idea is a crock.  Assuming everything is working properly, the engine gets up to operating oil pressure virtually instantly after starting. Just turning the key for a few cranks would run the oil pump enough to fill the filter before the first fire.

It is true, I was actually taught to do this on turbo'd vehicle when I worked in a shop(and when the filter wasn't horizontal). It is supposed to keep the engine from a dry moment the first few seconds after an oil change. This and filters with a silicone anti-drain back valve will help on a daily basis. I've done it ever since I heard about it on vehicles that I've owned that have a vertical filter. If the filter is horizontal I wouldn't even attempt to fill it up and put it on. That's an inevitable oil mess. I do it because it can't hurt even if it isn't true.  

Biking only makes sense if you do not live in an area with constant rain, snow, etc. Bike riding is mostly a warm weather or at least dry weather area. Not one to have to get soaked riding to work, then need to take a shower before I can work and have to take one when I get home.

PASS, rather drive an auto or sleep on a bus while someone else drive me to work.

Precisely why I'm crazy and I happen to live in Canada of all places.

:stupid:

Precisely why I'm crazy and I happen to live in Canada of all places.

:stupid:

That is ok we forgive you for living in Canada. ;)

After all eventually Canada and Mexico will get annexed into the Great NAFTA Country of North America. :P

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...

Did a little bit of maintenance on the ole Escape this weekend. 

Changed the oil, rotated and balanced my wheels/tires at 52,900 miles.

Oil/filter dumped: Mobil 1 0w-40 & Purolator PureOne filter

New oil/filter: Pennzoil Gold Syn Blend 5w-30 & Motorcraft filter

It was a nice and productive day and perfect weather. Mid to upper 70's very little wind. :D

On many cars, that would make installing the oil filter rather cumbersome due to the mounting position of the filter.   On my Honda, the filter mounts exactly horizontal... good luck keeping the oil in it while you screw it on.

Personally, I think his idea is a crock.  Assuming everything is working properly, the engine gets up to operating oil pressure virtually instantly after starting. Just turning the key for a few cranks would run the oil pump enough to fill the filter before the first fire.

My answer is; it depends.

On many small-engined/ small-filtered vehicles, no doubt the oil filter fills quick enough.

Others have nearly .75 quart filters, like my 6.6L TD. I'm not spinning one of those big cans on empty.

Also, oil filters have a surprising ability to retain oil in them when angled beyond open-end-up. Fill one even 3/4th of the way and you aren't turning it sideways to install as much as you are rotating it; keeping the oil moving around the perimeter rather than moving toward the opening. 

• Agree 2

Just finished the 100,000 mile service plus some things that needed addressing on my 2008 AWD Trailblazer SS.

post-12-0-31222700-1464376318_thumb.jpg

I took it in for the 100,000 mile tune up, AWD Service, Oil Change, Coolant system flush, Transmission flush, as well as replacing the air filter, AC belt replacement and an HVAC issue in the dash.

Loaner auto supplied by Dougs Cadillac:

2016 AWD XTS with the V6.

post-12-0-54815500-1464376325_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-74319700-1464376321_thumb.jpg

Total Cost of service, $3,334.96 or equals $370.55 per year plus oil changes, brakes and tires over the last 9 years.

So while everything else was normal for the 100,000 mile service, the HVAC repair was unexpected which cost $1,268.28 + tax =$ 1,388.77. If I did not have the HVAC failure in the dash along with one of the actuators that was sticking plus the HVAC control module, the cost would have been $1,946.19 or $216.24 per year over the 9 years.

Over all I feel this is actually very cheap for the 9 years of service I have had pretty much trouble free. Yes, I know that I could have done much of this work myself, but with time at a premium, paying a dealership to make sure it is all done to spec is worth it to me. I also was happy that both the transmission and engine management system was flashed with the latest updates from GM and WOW what a difference it made to the way the auto drives and responds. Love it even more now.

XTS Review

I got the 2016 XTS in Graphite Metallic with the Jetblack interior with just over 3000 miles and since the dealership had to bring in the hvac parts ended up driving it for 7 days and taking it on a long road trip putting on almost 1000 miles.

Dislikes:

Being an SUV driver, the auto sits way to low to the ground but that is clearly personal preference.

If changing drivers and not turning off the auto and using the other fobe, it was surprising that after so many Cadillacs that you push the button and it changes the seat settings for you, in the XTS you actually have to press and hold the button till it moves to your preferred seating.

Hard to tell the corners of your auto, luck this thing had so many cameras and sensors.

Blind spot sensors, when on the freeway in heavy traffic, having the amber flashing so much in your rearview mirrors is an annoyance. I turned it off 

Very Quiet interior when driving, no wind noise, barely any road noise, just amazing quietness.

Interior LED piping on dash, doors, foot wells, to illuminate the over all interior.

Exterior LED lighting of the auto at night with illumination from the side mirrors, LED lighting on the door handles as well as front and rear. Over all making it very safe and easy to get into and out of the auto.

Fit N Finish both exterior and Interior, was very impressed with it over all.

Memory seats for both driver and front passenger. Love that you can set the seat for two different people on the front seats and that they respond to either fobe 1 or 2 in setting the seats, side mirrors, pedals and steering wheel settings.

Bose audio system, loved it, was very customizable and enjoyed it with the XM system.

CUE, Yes some might be surprised, but my wife and I loved how responsive it was, the constant updates and suggested drive around for road traffic. Also the instant weather option that showed the week of weather by day or by hour it was very intuitive to me and such a nice improved experience over my 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum that I have or the 2004 SRX or 2008 SRX as well as the trailblazer nav system.

Customizable Dash display so you can see the music info, gas miles remaining on the tank, plus a whole lot more in addition to the standard MPH and RPM gauge. Was a very tasteful floating look display.

Ultraview sunroof was very nice and made the car feel very spacious.

22 position front bucket seats with massage feature, I feel needs to be on all auto's, that just really made it comfy after a long drive to turn it on and relax the body.

Cameras all the way around the auto, makes it very nice to see what is all around you and much easier to parallel park.

I am surprised but I actually came to like the sensors of rumbling your butt for the lane sensors as well as when you back in or pull into a spot to remind you how close you are getting.

Over all I wish it has the twin turbo v6 as this was more than sporty enough to move around but I am used to considerably more power.

What was so interesting was people asking about the auto at night due to how sharp it looked with all the LED lighting on the car and the quiet large interior this auto has.

Upon returning it, they just got in a white new CT6 off the truck and I have to say that car is very impressive in person, love the pad to control the CUE system. I cannot wait till they have plenty in stock so I can test drive one.

We'll ask away if you have any questions, comments, etc.

Thanks, :D

Just finished the 100,000 mile service plus some things that needed addressing on my 2008 AWD Trailblazer SS.

attachicon.gif2008AWD-Trailblazer-SS.jpg

I took it in for the 100,000 mile tune up, AWD Service, Oil Change, Coolant system flush, Transmission flush, as well as replacing the air filter, AC belt replacement and an HVAC issue in the dash.

Loaner auto supplied by Dougs Cadillac:

2016 AWD XTS with the V6.

attachicon.gif20160523_182518.jpg

attachicon.gif20160523_182444.jpg

Total Cost of service, $3,334.96 or equals $370.55 per year plus oil changes, brakes and tires over the last 9 years.

So while everything else was normal for the 100,000 mile service, the HVAC repair was unexpected which cost $1,268.28 + tax =$ 1,388.77. If I did not have the HVAC failure in the dash along with one of the actuators that was sticking plus the HVAC control module, the cost would have been $1,946.19 or $216.24 per year over the 9 years.

Over all I feel this is actually very cheap for the 9 years of service I have had pretty much trouble free. Yes, I know that I could have done much of this work myself, but with time at a premium, paying a dealership to make sure it is all done to spec is worth it to me. I also was happy that both the transmission and engine management system was flashed with the latest updates from GM and WOW what a difference it made to the way the auto drives and responds. Love it even more now.

XTS Review

I got the 2016 XTS in Graphite Metallic with the Jetblack interior with just over 3000 miles and since the dealership had to bring in the hvac parts ended up driving it for 7 days and taking it on a long road trip putting on almost 1000 miles.

Dislikes:

Being an SUV driver, the auto sits way to low to the ground but that is clearly personal preference.

If changing drivers and not turning off the auto and using the other fobe, it was surprising that after so many Cadillacs that you push the button and it changes the seat settings for you, in the XTS you actually have to press and hold the button till it moves to your preferred seating.

Hard to tell the corners of your auto, luck this thing had so many cameras and sensors.

Blind spot sensors, when on the freeway in heavy traffic, having the amber flashing so much in your rearview mirrors is an annoyance. I turned it off 

Very Quiet interior when driving, no wind noise, barely any road noise, just amazing quietness.

Interior LED piping on dash, doors, foot wells, to illuminate the over all interior.

Exterior LED lighting of the auto at night with illumination from the side mirrors, LED lighting on the door handles as well as front and rear. Over all making it very safe and easy to get into and out of the auto.

Fit N Finish both exterior and Interior, was very impressed with it over all.

Memory seats for both driver and front passenger. Love that you can set the seat for two different people on the front seats and that they respond to either fobe 1 or 2 in setting the seats, side mirrors, pedals and steering wheel settings.

Bose audio system, loved it, was very customizable and enjoyed it with the XM system.

CUE, Yes some might be surprised, but my wife and I loved how responsive it was, the constant updates and suggested drive around for road traffic. Also the instant weather option that showed the week of weather by day or by hour it was very intuitive to me and such a nice improved experience over my 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum that I have or the 2004 SRX or 2008 SRX as well as the trailblazer nav system.

Customizable Dash display so you can see the music info, gas miles remaining on the tank, plus a whole lot more in addition to the standard MPH and RPM gauge. Was a very tasteful floating look display.

Ultraview sunroof was very nice and made the car feel very spacious.

22 position front bucket seats with massage feature, I feel needs to be on all auto's, that just really made it comfy after a long drive to turn it on and relax the body.

Cameras all the way around the auto, makes it very nice to see what is all around you and much easier to parallel park.

I am surprised but I actually came to like the sensors of rumbling your butt for the lane sensors as well as when you back in or pull into a spot to remind you how close you are getting.

Over all I wish it has the twin turbo v6 as this was more than sporty enough to move around but I am used to considerably more power.

What was so interesting was people asking about the auto at night due to how sharp it looked with all the LED lighting on the car and the quiet large interior this auto has.

Upon returning it, they just got in a white new CT6 off the truck and I have to say that car is very impressive in person, love the pad to control the CUE system. I cannot wait till they have plenty in stock so I can test drive one.

We'll ask away if you have any questions, comments, etc.

Thanks, :D

The TB looks great!!!