Oil Change Thread

ccap41

I know almost all of us have vehicles that need their oil changed and as enthusiasts most of us do them on our own, I would assume. Well let's post our oil changes as we go, just for the heck of it. Discuss oil, filters, intervals, anything oil change related.

I used to work in the oil change and tire industry and I grew a weird passion for the topics so they're fun to talk about for me.

Well, Let's hear it!

Here's kind of a general format(and my most recent oil change):

2013 Ford Escape 2.0T AWD

08/17/15

Out: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30
Filter: Purolator Synthetic
4950 miles on oil.

In: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30
Filter: Bosch 'Premium' 3300

I run Mobile 1 in all three cars in the factory spec weight.

The Honda always gets a Purolator PureOne - I change when the maintenance interval light comes on, about 7,500 miles

The Oldsmobile always gets an A/C Delco - I change every 5,000 miles and also add a bottle of ZDDP

The Buick gets an A/C Delco cartridge - changed when the DIC tells me to.

Standard Mobil 1? Or do you run any of the "extended performance" or "high mileage"?

5-20,

10-30,

5-30 for those three vehicles?

Just the standard because that's all that costco sells. And yes.   The 5-20 is harder to find for the Honda, and sometimes I can't get it at Costco... so when I see it there and it's on special, I buy a box whether I have a pending oil change or not.  The Honda gets so little use these days I'm only changing the oil about once per year.

Mobil 1 for the Malibu 3.6L and 4,000-6,000 mile intervals. I used standard ACDelco filters until they switched to "e" series filters, which I found out are rebadged Fram e-core junk. Now I use ACDelco UPF-48R which is a rebadged Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter shared with the Corvette C6 and others.

My fiance's Cobalt Sport (2.4L/4A 172 hp) gets run to hell and back between changes because of her commute so I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance and the standard ACDelco (because despite what I already said, it's an internal filter and an economy car).

2008 Mercedes E550, the dealer changes the oil with Mobil 1 0W-40.

My car has a 13,000 mile oil change interval or once per year, I drive about 8,000 miles a year and change it once per year.  I let them do it because the car take 9.5 quarts of oil.  By the time I buy and 10 quarts of oil and filter I'd be in it for $100.  They charge like $130 to change the oil.

Yeah Mercedes and BMW use a lot but they were of the first to implement 10k oil changes(or once a year but that's everything). My former C350 took 8.5. It shouldn't be about 100. If you just buy the 5qt jugs and don't mind the little extra sitting or even wasting it the cost isn't as bad because 27x2 plus 10-15 filter. That's about 50. Now if you're about the single qts then you'll blow a hole in your wallet at about 8-9 bucks a quart.

I also enjoy changing my oil because I know how it's done and I'm super anal about keeping things clean and letting it drain. I know dealers aren't as anal about it as I am. But when it comes to warranty and not wanting ANY liability of your own then the dealer is a no brainier..you just pay for it.

Cap, have a feeling you're on BITOG too..... :thumbsup:

I get slack for running good stuff in cheap and old GM compacts......

I pretty much run nothing but synthetic for mine (usually on sale-mostly either Pennzoil Plat or Quaker State synthetic) Though the last oil change the Cobalt got was dollar quart Kendall Syn Blend (and it liked it too) Actually waiting on the blackstone report for this oil to see how it does against the Pennzoil Ultra in there now..... Also picked up some 0w30 Mobil 1 (10 bucks a jug) to throw in my ol' Cavalier.....

My Js get Delco (hengst) filters....feel they do the best. Balt has got a mix...kinda been the test car for filters ( Puros, Wix, Fram TG/Ultra) though I'm just going to keep it simple after I finish my last fram and go Delco with it too....

• Agree 1

2008 Mercedes E550, the dealer changes the oil with Mobil 1 0W-40.

My car has a 13,000 mile oil change interval or once per year, I drive about 8,000 miles a year and change it once per year.  I let them do it because the car take 9.5 quarts of oil.  By the time I buy and 10 quarts of oil and filter I'd be in it for $100.  They charge like $130 to change the oil.

Damn well better be extended interval if the cars are almost 10 qt capacity!! That's ridiculous.

Love costco for this stuff, they currently have the Mobil 1 Full Sythetic, 6 quarts for $37.99 and the Professional Extended Oil Filters for $19.99 you then get a $20 instant rebate.  $37.99 + $19.99 - $20.00 = $37.98. Should be fine for more auto's, but if you do have to buy a second set, you are still ahead with the extra filter and oil.

Love costco for this stuff, they currently have the Mobil 1 Full Sythetic, 6 quarts for $37.99 and the Professional Extended Oil Filters for $19.99 you then get a $20 instant rebate.  $37.99 + $19.99 - $20.00 = $37.98. Should be fine for more auto's, but if you do have to buy a second set, you are still ahead with the extra filter and oil.

Hate to break it to you, but without the $20 rebate, those prices suck. At regular walmart price, I get a 5 qt jug for under $25 (not sure what the exact going rate is right now) plus $8 for another qt. I get my ACDelco rebadged Mobil 1 Extended filter for $11 on Amazon. You'd think Costco could do better on the base prices than that!

Hate to break it to you, but without the $20 rebate, those prices suck. At regular walmart price, I get a 5 qt jug for under $25 (not sure what the exact going rate is right now) plus $8 for another qt. I get my ACDelco rebadged Mobil 1 Extended filter for $11 on Amazon. You'd think Costco could do better on the base prices than that!

I just picked up oil for the Buick today, it was 6 quarts for $26 after rebate.   My Costco doesn't sell oil filters tho. 

Anyone notice their car being sensitive to needing an oil change? I just did the oil on the Buick and it is noticeably quieter. It still had 5% left on the DIC oil change monitor.

VW recommends a 10k service interval for my GTI. For the last 1k, it was a little more coarse sounding on a cold start-up. 

I've heard one shouldn't push the DIC oil life recommendation down so low --IE: I think below 15%-- tho I don't recall who said so.

Seems reasonable that there well may be some degree of 'pressure' to increase service/oil change intervals per modern customer expectations... 

The light doesn't even come on till 10%, but I was noticing the crankiness at around 20%.

Cap, have a feeling you're on BITOG too..... :thumbsup:

I get slack for running good stuff in cheap and old GM compacts......

I pretty much run nothing but synthetic for mine (usually on sale-mostly either Pennzoil Plat or Quaker State synthetic) Though the last oil change the Cobalt got was dollar quart Kendall Syn Blend (and it liked it too) Actually waiting on the blackstone report for this oil to see how it does against the Pennzoil Ultra in there now..... Also picked up some 0w30 Mobil 1 (10 bucks a jug) to throw in my ol' Cavalier.....

My Js get Delco (hengst) filters....feel they do the best. Balt has got a mix...kinda been the test car for filters ( Puros, Wix, Fram TG/Ultra) though I'm just going to keep it simple after I finish my last fram and go Delco with it too....

lol sure are!  

Ahhh I'd probably get slack for using a syn for only 5k miles...

Nice score on the Mobil 0-30! I wish I could find that exact deal, I'd use it in my Escape.

I was thinking the same thing. Mobil at my local Walmart is ~26 bucks and unless it is an internal/cartrige style filter then 20 bucks is outrageous!  Even if it were 20 dollars is high.

I get my oil changed every 3-5k miles at my regular shop, they put in Castrol GTX 20W50 high mileage oil..

Why do you use such thick oil? 20w50 is THICK stuff. Actually, I didn't even know they made a high mileage oil in that thick of a viscocity. 

Anyone notice their car being sensitive to needing an oil change? I just did the oil on the Buick and it is noticeably quieter. It still had 5% left on the DIC oil change monitor.

I do...but I can almost guarantee it is all in my head..lol  

I've heard one shouldn't push the DIC oil life recommendation down so low --IE: I think below 15%-- tho I don't recall who said so.

Seems reasonable that there well may be some degree of 'pressure' to increase service/oil change intervals per modern customer expectations... 

I think that is awfully dependent on your oil choice. If the vheicle/manual only require a conventional oil but you run a full syn then there shouldn't be any issues running it down to 0%.

I get my oil changed every 3-5k miles at my regular shop, they put in Castrol GTX 20W50 high mileage oil..

Why do you use such thick oil? 20w50 is THICK stuff. Actually, I didn't even know they made a high mileage oil in that thick of a viscocity.
That may not be the exact viscosity, that's what came up when I googled it...I remember the brand and that it was a high mileage blend (Jeep 4.0L w 162k miles) Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Why do you use such thick oil? 20w50 is THICK stuff. Actually, I didn't even know they made a high mileage oil in that thick of a viscocity.
That may not be the exact viscosity, that's what came up when I googled it...I remember the brand and that it was a high mileage blend (Jeep 4.0L w 162k miles)

I think, don't quote me though, that the thickest high mileage oils are 10-40.  

Edit: I stand corrected. Castrol does offer a 20-50 High mileage oil.

Personally, unless you beat on that vehicle really hard and have leaks.. I wouldn't go with anything that thick. I could see something with some age and miles using a 10-40 when it's probably spec'd to 10-30 but I couldn't justify using something so thick like 20-50.

Edited by ccap41

That may not be the exact viscosity, that's what came up when I googled it...I remember the brand and that it was a high mileage blend (Jeep 4.0L w 162k miles)

I think, don't quote me though, that the thickest high mileage oils are 10-40.  

Edit: I stand corrected. Castrol does offer a 20-50 High mileage oil.

Personally, unless you beat on that vehicle really hard and have leaks.. I wouldn't go with anything that thick. I could see something with some age and miles using a 10-40 when it's probably spec'd to 10-30 but I couldn't justify using something so thick like 20-50.

Using oil that thick is probably the only thing holding his Jeep's engine together at that mileage.  :breakdance:

• Agree 1

It is a Jeep, so of course there are small leaks. Rear main seal has leaked for at least a decade. I have a couple quarts in the back, will have to check the spec. I was using the same oil in the DTS, it was going through a quart a month or so.

It is a Jeep, so of course there are small leaks. Rear main seal has leaked for at least a decade. I have a couple quarts in the back, will have to check the spec. I was using the same oil in the DTS, it was going through a quart a month or so.

Northstars have always been oil eaters. 

• Agree 1

The DTS was nice before it started the downward spiral into being a money pit. Just no point in spending more money on an old car when something was failing every month.

That time is fast approaching on our CR-V. It's going to cost $1000 just to get it to pass inspection*

*Posted from the Honda Dealership

The complete failure of the A/C system made it undrivable, power window failures( one window twice in a year), steering column tilt failure, multiple engine sensors, stability control computer, random stalling, radiator, etc. My sister is much happier w the Trax. I've driven it a couple times, neat little car. Got to get her dead Mercedes hauled away soon, they are clogging the front and back carports. Trying to get rid of the detritus of life tying us down to Az so we can escape in 2016....

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Northstars have always been oil eaters. 

my moms DTS is drinking oil now too, runs great though.  It's had its day, 2002 or is it 2003, she needs a new ride.

The DTS was nice before it started the downward spiral into being a money pit. Just no point in spending more money on an old car when something was failing every month.

ah yes, motivation to prod Mom even further.  Her stability control system is leaving trouble messages on the dash now.

• Agree 1

Both my Trailblazer and Escalade get noisy around 10% left on the oil life. I agree that the new clean oil makes a difference in how quiet the engine runs.

So I'm around 4100 miles on this oil change and I know the oil would be good for probably 6-10k miles but I like to change it around 5k. I'm at a bad time of year.. I'm not sure if I should change it next weekend while it is still awkwardly warm(50's) but very short on the oil's capability or wait and change it in possibly $h!ty conditions at 5-6k miles.. I still have a little bit of an old school approach with miles on oil changes. Oil and car tech has come along so far that 5000 miles can easily be done on cheapo conventional oil let alone full syn Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It's just a mental block and I short trip a bunch and december will be the worst for short tripping because i'll be on winter break from school so my car won't get all warmed up as often. Also, knowing the EcoBoost motors tend to get a little fuel dilution(one reason they are all 5w-30 as opposed to their n/a engines that are 5w-20).

So the question...

Should I change it early.. or wait..?

The Buick Encore, right?

How many miles were on that when it got down to 5%?

So I'm around 4100 miles on this oil change and I know the oil would be good for probably 6-10k miles but I like to change it around 5k. I'm at a bad time of year.. I'm not sure if I should change it next weekend while it is still awkwardly warm(50's) but very short on the oil's capability or wait and change it in possibly $h!ty conditions at 5-6k miles.. I still have a little bit of an old school approach with miles on oil changes. Oil and car tech has come along so far that 5000 miles can easily be done on cheapo conventional oil let alone full syn Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It's just a mental block and I short trip a bunch and december will be the worst for short tripping because i'll be on winter break from school so my car won't get all warmed up as often. Also, knowing the EcoBoost motors tend to get a little fuel dilution(one reason they are all 5w-30 as opposed to their n/a engines that are 5w-20).

So the question...

If you're changing it yourself and you don't have a garage to do it in, do it now.  No telling how long the weather will hold out.  If you take it some place, then just let it go till you feel really needs it. 

In my case is just seemed like a rough and louder idle along with more noise under hard acceleration.  Seems back to its normal self after the oil change. 

We'll I was told by my dealership that due to the close tolerances even on a pure synthetic, the engines get nosier as the oil gets dirtier and one should replace it. Also with the new dexos 1 and 2 spec GM, Ford, or any auto company could decline warranty if the wrong oil is used. Pretty clear to either use dexos specific oil or go pure synthetic.

Good explanation on the new oils here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/02/gm-engine-oil/

So the question...

Going into winter, I would change it. Cold weather is much harder on engines than warmer weather. Having clean oil to go through the season will allow faster warm ups, should also help with changes due to the cold weather shrinking things. I have always found it good even on engines that need pure synthetic like my Escalade and trailblazer to change every 6K miles.

The Buick Encore, right?

So the question...

If you're changing it yourself and you don't have a garage to do it in, do it now.  No telling how long the weather will hold out.  If you take it some place, then just let it go till you feel really needs it. 

I meant on the oil, sorry. 

Yeah I just do it in my own garage/driveway so I would definitely be outside if the weather was junk. I guess I'll pick up some oil and do it this coming weekend. I hate "wasting" oil but I don't like the thought of not knowing when I'll even be able to with it being mid december and 4200-4300(by the weekend) miles on the oil.

So the question...

Going into winter, I would change it. Cold weather is much harder on engines than warmer weather. Having clean oil to go through the season will allow faster warm ups, should also help with changes due to the cold weather shrinking things. I have always found it good even on engines that need pure synthetic like my Escalade and trailblazer to change every 6K miles.

That was one thing I was thinking of as well. I know it'll be premature but I'd rather change a little soon than a little too late. If nothing else, it'll make me feel better.  

The Buick Encore, right?

I meant on the oil, sorry. 

Lol! Don't apologize, Drew had a senior moment! I knew you meant on the oil.

Drew response was to me that if he changed his oil himself, do it now. If not wait till you are closer to 100% used and then take it to your local grease monkey to have the oil changed. That is how I read his message.