Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Geneva Motor Show: Volvo V90: Comments

Is there anything that better describes Volvo than a wagon? The Swedish automaker has a long history of building wagons and a number of them have gone on to become icons for the brand. Volvo hopes the new V90, introduced at an event Stockholm today continues that trend.

As we saw in leaked photos last month, the V90 looks nearly identical to the recently-introduced S90 from the front to the b-pillar. Where it splits off from the S90 is towards the back with a longer roofline, sharply styled tailgate, and longer taillights. The interior is the same as you'll find in the S90 with an understated design and seating for five. Volvo hasn't released details on the V90's cargo capacity, but we would expect it to be quite large.

Under the hood, the V90 will match the S90's engine lineup. That will mean a T5 (turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder) engine with 250 horsepower, a T6 (turbo and supercharged 2.0L four-cylinder) engine with 316 horsepower, and the T8 plug-in hybrid with 410 horsepower. Europe will get a selection of diesel engines as well.

“In many people’s minds we are known as the definitive estate [wagon] brand. While the Volvo brand today stands for more than estates, we are proud to carry forward this rich heritage with the V90,” Volvo president Hakan Samuelsson said in a statement.

Volvo will be showing off the V90 next month at the Geneva Motor Show where we hope to learn when the wagon will arrive.

Source: Volvo

Press Release is on Page 2

Volvo Cars reveals stylish and versatile new V90 estate
The eagerly-awaited Volvo V90 was revealed today in Stockholm, Sweden. The stylish and versatile V90 is the latest in the premium car maker’s top-of-the-line 90 series sitting alongside the award winning XC90 SUV and the recently-launched S90 premium sedan.
Building on Volvo Cars’ indisputable heritage in the estate segment, that began over 60 years ago with the Volvo Duett, the new V90 takes the premium estate a clear step forward in terms of aesthetics, materials and finish, while living up to the ultimately practical nature of any true estate
“We have a very strong position in the estate segment,” said Håkan Samuelsson, president and chief executive of Volvo Cars. “In many people’s minds we are known as the definitive estate brand. While the Volvo brand today stands for more than estates, we are proud to carry forward this rich heritage with the V90.”
The new V90 is the third car unveiled in Volvo’s top-of-the-line 90 series, all of which are built on the company’s specially-designed and fully modular Scalable Product Architecture (SPA), which has opened up a range of new opportunities in terms of how Volvos can be designed, built and equipped.

“The modern premium estate is all about the intriguing combination of a luxurious experience with the functional origins of the estates silhouette. The sophisticated ambience of our new Volvo Interiors is combined with a great cargo space, providing the right kind of functionality – whether through connectivity or cargo and storage solutions,” said Thomas Ingenlath senior vice president for design at Volvo Cars.

The new V90 delivers cutting-edge Pilot Assist semi-autonomous drive technology, the most advanced standard safety package on the market, with large animal detection and run-off road mitigation, and class-leading connectivity including smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay.

Volvo Cars has also worked tirelessly on driving dynamics in the new model delivering a totally new and refined driving experience characterised by a sense of engaging control and predictability.

“We have a very strong offer in the V90. Our PowerPulse technology is designed to deliver a distinct performance boost to our diesel engine, while the T8 Twin Engine petrol plug-in hybrid will deliver around 410 hp and a pure electric range of around 50 km,” said Dr Peter Mertens, Senior Vice President Research & Development at Volvo Cars.

View full article

I have to say I like this Station Wagon, very nice, Interior and Dash are awesome, way better than anything I have seen out of MB, BMW or even Audi. This I put on par with my CTS-V wagon.

Only thing I am surprised by is the HUGE Drive Line Tunnel you see in the picture of the back seat. WTF? It was never that big in my parents Olds Station Wagon or in the CTS-V Wagon.

Reviewing this made me realize that the dash which I really love is a knock off of the Tesla Dash, they went with a long rectangle Touch screen to control the bulk of the auto.

Interesting!  :scratchchin:  :scratchchin:  :scratchchin:  :scratchchin:  :scratchchin: