New York Auto Show: Honda Makes It Official, 2017 Civic Turbo To Come With Manual Option: Comments

On the eve of the New York Auto Show, Honda has announced that 2017 Civic 1.5L turbo will be available with a six-speed manual. This means the Civic sedan, coupe, and upcoming hatchback will have this option.

"I have one more piece of news that all Civic enthusiasts will be thrilled to hear and that's our announcement today that ALL of our turbocharged Civic models … Coupe, Sedan and Hatch will be available with a slick-shifting 6-speed manual starting this fall!" said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda at a press event today.

We first heard about this last November thanks to a leaked presentation slide revealing the option would be coming for 2017.

Source: Car and Driver, Honda

View full article

it actually is I bet.  Sat in the civic again the other day.  4 6 footers can easily fit in there.  The car feels more spacious than a Mazda6.  Even though its lower, it really feels in size more like the older Accords.  Honda absolutely nailed the packaging on this car.

I usually despise Hondas but i believe despite all of Honda's crap that they hit it out of the park here.  This is going to define mainstream car for a lot of buyer groups.  And i think having this larger Civic coupe probably means it would outsell the Accord coupe like gangbusters and may even put the Accord coupe out to pasture.

I haven't driven the turbo yet, i should check it out soon.  If the new Cruze comes in too short on the size meter inside, this might be my defacto 'compact' choice, if my Malibu choice doesn't come to fruition.

I love the cupholder set up in this car.  Use the 2 in a row, or slide the insert back and use all the space for your 52 oz.  And the armrest is perfect placed for caressing your big gulp.

About the only area they failed on here is the small and dull looking center radio stack / display.  I think they could have added some wow factor here.  It looks really cheap and basic.  Even for an econocar.

Wish them all the best, we know this will be Honda Reliable, but the styling is blah and the packaging just does nothing for me. Yet I know the conservative Honda Faithful will buy it up.

I've driven the new EX and Touring trims for the new Civic, and they absolutely hit a home run. Handling was surprisingly good and the turbo engine felt just right for that car. Awesome news to see that they're getting the manual option.

Honda is showing cohones in their styling...

They have taken the Acura stealth fighter approach to triangular styling in the 2009-20014 Acura TL including the super beak and have massaged it to be quite the stylish and aggressive look that is unique and bold and cool at the same time.

Honda is out doing corporate luxury sister Acura in the styling department...and if Honda wanted to, could make upper echelon Hondas more luxurious rendering Acura useless...

The quality in Honda products, especially in the lower echelon also has improved...

It makes me wonder 30 years later, why did Honda even introduce Acura to the world?

Outside North America, our Acura "luxury" products adorn Honda badges anyway...

Minus a couple of North American products only that are pure Acura through and through, its just a badge in the front that differs...

To boot, the now defunct Acura TSX was just the European Accord...

Im liking this Honda Civic...its strange for me to say that...as my whole life...IVE BEEN HATING THE HONDA CIVIC...

HATED THE CRX....

HATED THAT UGLY HATCHBACK STATION WAGON THING THEY HAD IN THE 1980s...

DISLIKED THE DEL SOL...(I secretly like it actually)

HATED ANY CIVIC WITH Si BADGES....

I've driven the new EX and Touring trims for the new Civic, and they absolutely hit a home run. Handling was surprisingly good and the turbo engine felt just right for that car. Awesome news to see that they're getting the manual option.

Honda's never done turbo well so this is encouraging.

When i drove the 2.0 I thought it still had the interior noise and tinniness typical of Honda's but for the economy and power of that turbo mill, it may be an ok tradeoff, considering the prices.

Nothing can be as crappy in noise etc. as my cobalt

Edited by regfootball