Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How Soon is Too Soon for Rust?

So, it is with great concern that I must address this issue publicly. An automaker, who should know better, has a vehicle that is beginning to develop rust bubbles at just three years of age. This automaker is Ford and the vehicle in question is Josh's 2013 Escape. Is it just me or is that not a decade too soon for this sort of thing? 

As for background, the vehicle has obviously lived in the salt-ridden world of Pennsylvania for the majority of its life–as have each and every one of our other vehicles over the years. It should also be stated that, in his ownership, its been washed at least bi-weekly. He takes better care of his vehicles than I do, he's excessively OCD about it. Just to compare to my own GTI, I wash it maybe once or twice a month on average (more often in the summer because of cars and coffee, cruising Woodward, etc.). It's a 2010 with slightly less miles and is spotless underneath. His Escape? Not only is the underneath looking pretty rough, the bottoms of the doors and hatch are developing bubbles! Now, I assume Ford has some sort of corrosion warranty, but that is simply ridiculous in my book.

How does a vehicle this new have this sort of problem? This was our first Ford and has otherwise been trouble-free save for the common MFT freezes and various electrical glitches (it will randomly say there is a fault with the ESP, parking/cross traffic sensors, back up camera, electronic power steering...) that fix themselves with a vehicle restart, as well a few rattles (the panoramic sunroof, the doors). I just have to assume that maybe, just maybe this is a first model year sort of issue–perhaps they ran low on the anti-corrosive material–who knows. It should be noted that my GTI is also a first model year, and again, it's perfecto in that department (not-so-much others). 

After he discovered the issue, his first reaction was to look at replacements. His second was to research the most common and least common vehicles to develop rust issues. He was not surprised to find the Escape in a top 10 list someone published (I forget who) and the GTI in a top 10 list of the least from the same article. Despite the list, I have to assume those are older model years as I still can't fathom a vehicle this new having this issue. Regardless, the Escape will probably not stay with us for much longer. He's now hellbent on finding a new ride. 

Absolutely too soon for rust!

Where is his starting to form rust bubbles? I ask because I too have a 2013 Escape and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any and I do my best to always hand wash it and I'm confident I would have noticed that.

In the ~20,000 miles of ownership I've only had MFT freeze once and crash once as well.. Just stating my personal observation.

Way to soon for rust but then FORD - Fix or repair daily ;)

I know the brine on the roads takes it's toll, but still 3 years seems crazy for building rust bubbles. I too am interested in knowing where on the car are they. 

I would look for a clogged drain hole in the door, fender, etc. depending on where the rust bubbles are forming. It sounds like water is getting in but not draining out.

Absolutely too soon for rust!

Where is his starting to form rust bubbles? I ask because I too have a 2013 Escape and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any and I do my best to always hand wash it and I'm confident I would have noticed that.

In the ~20,000 miles of ownership I've only had MFT freeze once and crash once as well.. Just stating my personal observation.

I'll have to grab pictures once I'm home from work. It's right at the bottom of the doors on the metal lip–whatever you call it. Same place on the hatch I assume (I haven't had the chance to check out that location. 

Edit: Also, it seems at least one other Escape is having a similar issue: True Delta

Hopefully he didn't buy a flood vehicle, especially salt water.  That could explain the rust and maybe the electrical glitches.  In my line of work, I have seen some new body style Escapes disassembled for collision repair... but not one with rust issues yet.  I am in SE PA.

To freakin soon is what I say also.

We salt our roads in the winter, and I dont see ANY brands today that young with rust bubbles. (Montreal, Quebec is where I come from)

After 6-7 years maybe on cars that get no love.

I own a 2013 Ford Fusion.

She looks as new as the day she drove off from the showroom floor.

• 2 months later...