2015 Cadillac ATS Premium Performance Coupe

Stew

So, my brother finally found the perfect replacement for his A5 and we went and picked it up last night.  it is a completely loaded 2015 ATS Premium with the performance package and every option available.  Only 4900 miles.  It has the 3.6 V6/6 speed auto, AWD, full suite of safety tech and luxury features.  has the full performance package too, complete with Brembo brakes and Magnetic ride control.    Anyway, here we go.

My brother picked me up when i got off work at 6.  We got in the Audi and headed off for one last journey.  I just took the passenger seat this time since i need to rest some  and I figured since it is his car \he should have the last hurrah.  Of course there had to be a big storm with downpours on the interstate to put the Quattro system through it's paces for him one last time.  And usual, it performed flawlessly.  After roughly 4.5 hours of traveling we finally pull up to the car.  The salesman was kind enough to drive the car from Indiana to Florence Kentucky to take at least some of the drive off.  I am sure it didn't hurt he was getting in one last sale on the last day of the month. 

As we pull into the lot, the ATS is shining bright under the lights in the darkness.  The color I believe, is called Adriatic Blue, maybe Atlantic not sure.  Anyway, under the lights under certain angles the color takes on a beautiful gray hue, other times it is the beautiful dark blue, oddly reminiscent of the ocean blue of the Audi A5 now parked beside it.  It has a gorgeous set of 18 inch machine honed rims, the top rims available on the AS coupe.  With cuts and shapes, they seem to almost take on a 4th dimension somehow if the light hits them just perfectly.  A slow walk-around reviews some amazing detailing.  From the shapes and size of details on the surface, to the twin exhaust tips located nearly center with the angle shaped backup lamp separating them.   The impressive front and rear lighting and unique lighted door handles that prove a really nice touch.  Easily as beautiful of the elegant shapes of the A5, but totally different at the same time.  As the salesman acquainted my brother some of he many features I couldn't help but stare.  Cadillac nailed this design out of the ballpark, that is all there is to that. 

Finally the paperwork is done and it is time to head out.  He takes the first drive of course and he out o find some dinner.  We end up at an IHOP at midnight.  THe service left much to be desired, but the food was good and I am always a sucker for a good Philly Cheesesteak.  As we finish up and he pays for the meal (my price for going that night), we out and hit the interstate.  As I sit in the passenger seat, I have to fiddle with some of the controls.  First, I LOVE these seats.  Perfect shape, power options, and even the passenger seat lumbar supper, extending thigh support, and inflatable bolsters.  I found the Audi seats seriously lacking on the way down (the passenger seat lacks the lumbar support of the driver's side and it shows), but had no problem finding long distance comfort in the ATS seats.  The front area was a bit roomier than the A5s, the rear seemed roughly the same.  The interior is finished beautifully with nice areas of stitching on the center console, dash, seats, etc.  I find the touch controls below the large screen decently easy to use and they respond well.  Part of me wishes for old fashioned knobs though.  The 2 tone interior with piano black accents and interior "mood lighting" is a very handsome and nice place to be.  Cue is certainly not the monster it is made out to be, though if I am not mistaken there was a big upgrade in 2015 so that may be why.  The menus and touch capability seems pretty standard fare for modern infotainment systems.  We talk about a number of the features I never even knew existed.  Automatic defrosters front and rear fr=or example that automatically kick in without messing with whatever you are using at the time, ie AC.  hat is just an example of course. 

Finally as we near the halfway point it is my turn to spend a couple hours behind the wheel.  We get to the fuel station, now at roughly 3AM, I get an energy drink and a diet Mountain Dew and take the driver's seat.  With the power tilt and telescoping wheel and the easy to get comfortable in seat, i was ready to go.  As I get ready to hit the interstate I give the left shift paddle a tug, the D in the dash turns into a 2, I slow down and pull it back into 1.  He transmission responding instantly to my shift requests in a quick manner.  Pedal down and the 3.6 easily pulls me into the seat and I am to speed in no time.  Now on the interstate I I old the right shift paddle in for a few seconds to put it back into auto.  The suspension is taut, but well controlled.  The ride is firm, especially over expansion joins.  I switch modes from sport to tour and the ride gets better, though the A5 had a slight advantage here.  The ride is never punishing though.  This car does not like speed limits.  The speed creeps up to 10 or even 15 MPH over the limit without even breaking a sweat.  I should have probably tried the adaptive cruise control, but decided to just stay connected to the car.  Steering is nicely weighted and even with the AWD equipment of front provides decent feedback.  The hud is a nice touch that helps keep your eyes on the road, though i do wish the display was larger as it was in my old GTP.  Being late at night, I appreciated the bright adaptive headlights that moved to follow curves.  The drive was pleasant to say the least.  The car is a great cruiser and a great handler. 

Overall I think Caddy has knocked this one out of the ballpark.  It isn't perfect, but has more character than almost anything out there.  I look forward to more chances to get behind the wheel and to learn more about the myriad of features this coupe has.  Way to go Cadillac, way to go!

20160901_025455_zpsrczg1u1w.jpg

Edited by Stew
  • Agree 2

Beautiful car.. Hands down the way I would go if I were looking for a car in that size segment. Sedan or Coupe.. wouldn't matter, both are effin sweet. Only thing I would have changed is the package.. I would have gone VSeries... in White Diamond. But this car is immaculate. Your bro should be proud

• Agree 1

On 9/3/2016 at 10:03 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

Beautiful car.. Hands down the way I would go if I were looking for a car in that size segment. Sedan or Coupe.. wouldn't matter, both are effin sweet. Only thing I would have changed is the package.. I would have gone VSeries... in White Diamond. But this car is immaculate. Your bro should be proud

Ohh Absolutely.  Cadillac and Audi have by far the best design language in the Luxury segment.  love the color as well.

That is a good point.  I just bought a new car myself this weekend and they put one of thse stupid used car stickers, with tape all he way around, on my tinted passenger window and I am trying to figure the best way to get it off without ruining the tint.  off-topic I know lol. 

22 hours ago, Stew said:

That is a good point.  I just bought a new car myself this weekend and they put one of thse stupid used car stickers, with tape all he way around, on my tinted passenger window and I am trying to figure the best way to get it off without ruining the tint.  off-topic I know lol. 

Dealerships seem to be ruled by people with very nominal levels of common sense.

• 3 weeks later...