Where Do You Live?

So, as some of you already know, I live in St Louis, MO. Technically, I'm in the suburbs- Ballwin. I've lived here for 6 months. Before that I lived a little ways south of here in a college town called Cape Girardeau. I lived there for 4 years after moving from even further south in MO- a small rural area Sikeston. My family retired there, and my wife's family is from there.

But courtesy of the military, I've lived in SoCal for 2 years, North Dakota for 3 years, Texas for 3 years (split up over 3 times), Louisiana, Germany (born there) and few others for brief durations.

Montreal, Québec, Canada.

Born and raised and still living proudly in Montréal. In the heart of the city is where I was raised and now I own a restaurant and live in a suburb of Montréal in the west of the island.

My dad was also born and raised in Montréal while his parents emigrated to Canada from Greece in the late 1890s. Montréal is where they decided to call home.

My mom was born and raised in Greece and in her early 30s decided to emigrate to Canada in 1967. She took a boat ride from Piraeus, Greece and landed in Halifax, Canada to which she took a train ride to Montréal where she ultimately met my dad and eventually had me. 

Unlike Frisky, it does not look like I move around much and maybe its because of that reason that I cant see myself living anywhere else other than Montréal. Ive visited Toronto twice, Boston plenty of times, NYC plenty of times, Paris & Amsterdam once and only for a short couple of hours, Athens-Greece plenty of times and the islands and villages of Greece of where my family comes from but Montréal is where Id rather be...for now. Retirement is for another conversation.

(leave it to me to make a novel sized post regarding just 1 location of residence that I have ever held)

Edited by oldshurst442

Born and raised on Stevens Pass Washington. Lived just about in every state west of the Mississippi river and back in washington since 1995. Love it here and the greater Seattle area.

Parents born and raised in the Greater LA area, ton's of relatives in MIssouri and a ton of relatives in Germany since both sides are from there originally going back to the 1800's when groups of family started to imigrate to America.

Plainfield, Wisconsin. Been here since my folks brought me & my brother here, I was 8 yrs old.
Sometimes I work with the county road crew, but I done odd jobs, helping neighbors out, little bit of this n that, like roofing, grain threshing, things like that. 

The family's all gone now, it's just me. I've kinda let the homestead go, but it's OK. I get pretty blue at times.

This is a pitcher of my place from a few winters ago :
ed-gein-casa.jpg

I wish folks was nicer to me.

• Agree 1

On 9/2/2016 at 9:27 PM, balthazar said:

Plainfield, Wisconsin. Been here since my folks brought me & my brother here, I was 8 yrs old.
Sometimes I work with the county road crew, but I done odd jobs, helping neighbors out, little bit of this n that, like roofing, grain threshing, things like that. 

The family's all gone now, it's just me. I've kinda let the homestead go, but it's OK. I get pretty blue at times.

This is a pitcher of my place from a few winters ago :
ed-gein-casa.jpg

I wish folks was nicer to me.

I'd love to see some interior shots Ed

I grew up in Hamilton NJ, not far from where @GMTruckGuy74 lives. 

I now live in Pittsburgh PA have done since 1998 when I moved here for college.  @smk4565 is the only regular C&Ger I know of who also lives here. 

My House:

178001_10151034602186413_660449257_o.jpg

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I now live in Pittsburgh PA have done since 1998 when I moved here for college.  @smk4565 is the only regular C&Ger I know of who also lives here. 

My House:

Love the Stone work, that is awesome, considering replacing my cedar knotless siding with stone.

My House, daughters Durango and my Escalade.

gdfHouse.jpg

• Agree 1

Born and raised in Toronto, short stints away for school and work, but have been back for many years. Moved to the Bloor West Village area of the city a few years ago when we started a family, updating and fixing our 100 year old house as time and finances permit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a 12 year resident of Westampton Township, in Burlington County, New Jersey (Exit 5 of the NJ Turnpike ;) ).  I grew up in Ewing Township, a suburb of Trenton (like Hamilton Township where Drew grew up).  I've lived my whole life in New Jersey, I'd say no furhter than 35 miles from my place of birth (Helene Fuld Hospital, now known as Capital Health, in Trenton).  From Ewing Township (1974-1999) I moved to Lawrenceville Township (1999-2001), then to Bordentown Township (2001-2004), and now seem planted in Westampton Township (2004-present). I like where I live, as I can get to Philadelphia in ~30 mins, NYC ~70 mins, and the Jersey shore towns anywhere from ~45 mins to 2 hours.  I've got several international airports to choose from to travel the country and the world, and I-95 in my backyard to travel up and down the eastern seaboard of the US.  AmTrak, though only taken once on a trip to DC, is also close by and I desire to travel west on a train trip in the near future (bucket list).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Just now, GMTruckGuy74 said:

I've lived my whole life in New Jersey, I'd say no further than 35 miles from my place of birth (Helene Fuld Hospital, now known as Capital Health, in Trenton).  

Heh, I was born up the street at Mercer Hospital (now closed)

I'm originally from eastern Ohio....childhood home in Steubenville, Oh (about 35 miles from Pittsburgh). 

steubenvillehse-vi.jpg

and the childhood family 'farm' about 50 miles west of there on a lake outside Port Washington, Oh near the Amish Country:  (we always called it the farm, though we never really grew anything..was my Dad's hobby)

_____rHuWCreefurHe-vi.jpg

DSC00197-vi.jpg

I spent childhood going between the Steubenville house and the farm, and our beach house in Marathon, Florida in the Keys.   After high school, I went to college in NE Ohio then grad school in Ann Arbor, Michigan at the U of M.   Then over a decade in Colorado and 8 years in Phoenix.     

After my mother's passing 6 months ago, and all the messy estate stuff, my two siblings and I will be splitting ownership of the farm (50 acres each) and the various vintage cars stored there.   My brother still lives there in the guest house and has his 10 cars and 5 motorcycles stored there. 

After nearly 20 years in the West, I'm looking forward to returning to the E. Ohio area...house hunting now, hope to buy something and move by the end of the year to the Cleveland or Pittsburgh area (both around 100 miles from the farm and with enough tech jobs to keep me employed).  

On 9/7/2016 at 10:33 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

My House:

Gorgeous!

I live in Columbus, Ohio.

On 9/7/2016 at 3:01 PM, frogger said:

Born and raised in Toronto, short stints away for school and work, but have been back for many years. Moved to the Bloor West Village area of the city a few years ago when we started a family, updating and fixing our 100 year old house as time and finances permit.

I love old houses, repairing and remodeling them is a lot of fun.  We bought a newer house for school district reasons because we were raising five children, would love to renovate another old house some day.