Dream car garage, kick yourself in your own butt edition...

In this thread, instead of 5 dream cars, tell us about 5 cars you had the chance to buy, could afford to buy at the time, and didn't. This should be actual cars that you really did look at, considered...and then were an idiot for not buying.

My 5 cars....

#1.  1964 MGB, was the first MGB built in 1964 (first car off of the line.)  Local guy owned it, was able to document it as the actual first car built...was $400...no rust which was unusual for an MGB. Boxes and boxes of parts, pretty much a shell of a car that was awaiting a full restoration.  Car was black, which was a very, very rare color for MGB's.  Passed on it because I was working as a pit crew member for a racing team that did endurance racing at the time, and we were getting ready to run a 12 hour SCCA race at Summit Point raceway.

#2.  You would think I would learn my lesson after not buying the first car off of the line for a model year with the MGB, but in my case lightening really did strike twice. Mershons is a classic car dealer in Springfield Ohio, and I bought my 1971 Chevelle from them.  Great people.  Anyhow, they had the first Mercury cougar built one year and it was a Boss 302 Eliminator, which is a very rare and desirable car.  This car was yellow, black vinyl top, amazing restoration.  About 15 years ago, before prices went through the roof, this car was 28 grand, which I could have just afforded at the same time. One of the nicest restorations they ever had, and they had full documentation as this being the first car built that year...car had a genuine 001 at the end of its serial number also. Passed because at this time I had my 1966 Mustang Fastback, my 1971 Chevelle, and my first Miata, a 1991.  i still kick myself for not buying that car...it would be worth big big bucks today. Plus I love vintage Mercury Cougars.

#3. Car was a basket case and black like the first car, and a rare mercury cougar like the second car.  Black (again, very, very rare color for a Mercury Cougar) 428 Cobra jet 4 speed.  Only black 428 4 Speed Mercury cougar Cobra jet ever built.  A bit rusty but saveable. Car was for sale at the Untied Ford owners swap meet here in Columbus about 15 or twenty years ago. $4000, which would have eaten a ton more in cash restoring. But it would have been a very rare and unique car done.  Guy ended parting the car out because no one wanted to take on the project, so this one is no more.

#4. 1977 Porsche 911.  Local seller about 18 years ago or so.  Pristine 40 thousand mile car, owned previously by an elderly gentleman who didn't even like to drive it in the rain. Local gentleman who bought and sole Porsche vehicles had this car, and he wanted to get it gone quickly so he could go buy a couple of other cars.  it was about 7 grand....and I passed on it like an idiot because it was white, and I didn't want to own another white car. Kicking myself for this one also.

#5. 1966 Pontiac GTO-Blue-built 455 4 speed, very solid, white interior.  Tested this car in high school...it accelerated so hard that the salesman's head whipped back to the point where I had a clear view through the passenger door window when I was accelerating. Lot just wanted the car gone, could have bought it for $1200 in 1984.  Still kicking myself.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

I have only two:

I could buy used WRX wagon in 2006 and went with more economical new Mazda 3 due to a long commute.  Also, if I have waited another year instead of buying Mazda 3 I could have bought Mazdaspeed 3 that came out in 2007.

2 minutes ago, ykX said:

I have only two:

I could buy used WRX wagon in 2006 and went with more economical new Mazda 3 due to a long commute.  Also, if I have waited another year instead of buying Mazda 3 I could have bought Mazdaspeed 3 that came out in 2007.

Both excellent choices, and choices I myself made as a family man.  Would love to own a WRX of that era.

My list is in chronological order-

2006; Car #1- 2004 Nogaro Blue Audi S4 6MT w/ Blue interior-

1.JPG

A buddy of mine when I was in the USAF had it and was selling. It had somewhere in the 50K mile range, and I could have bought the thing for 23K. I had another big payment at the time, but I could have swung it with some cost-cutting elsewhere. I really regret not getting this car.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

1.  Back in 98:  mint 91 5.0 Notchback 5 speed.  Stock and in mint condition.

2.  similar time period another 91 5.0 Notchback, red, mint condition, bone stock

Skipped both and got a T-Bird which was probably better anyways as i was still a teenager haha.

3.  91 Z28 99 or 2000, 305 TPI/auto all options for that year including t-tops

4.  around 02 or 03  71 Duster, nicely modified, decided it was a little too much for a daily driver haha

5.  2009 Challenger R/T in 2010.  Was getting a kickass price on it, but backed off because I was afraid of winter driving it since I would have had to trade the Jeep I had at the time. 

2009; Car #2- 2003 Titanium Silver over Black BMW M3 Coupe 6MT-

standard.jpg

Looked identical to ^ car. At my local Jeep dealer. It was a one-owner car driven by a B-52 pilot who babied the car. He traded it for a Wrangler Unlimited. Car was immaculate. Had 36K miles on it. I was trying to get a loan for it, but I was beat by another buyer. Turns out, it was my old NCOIC who was a big BMW nut- he owned an E30 325i and E34 M5. He bought the car for $23,000, put nearly 30,000 miles on it over the course of the next 4 years, and sold it for 28 grand. This one by far hurt the worst.

2012; Car #3- 1996 Black Honda Civic Si-

88623d1259391207-calling-all-black-96-00

I worked at a Ford dealership that took it in on trade. Had 94K miles, and aside from a few minor dents scratches and rock chips, was clean. Drove great. Was completely stock except for a warm-air intake and small basket-handle rear spoiler. I could have bought it $5,600. I didn't. Really didn't even have a good reason, I just didn't. Stupid. 

2013; Car (truck) #4- 1987 2WD Toyota Truck-

1984-Toyota-Pickup-front-three-quarter.j

Just like that ^, only dark blue. Stick shift. Arrow straight body, with 15 year old repaint. Interior was a little rough, but not terrible. Had 150K miles. I could have bought that damn truck for $1,400. I didn't because it was December, and that's usually a tough month in car sales. I ended making 6 grand that month; best December I've ever had. Of course, it had already sold by the time I realized I'd have the expendable cash. I hate that I didn't buy it. 

19 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

My list is in chronological order-

2006; Car #1- 2004 Nogaro Blue Audi S4 6MT w/ Blue interior-

1.JPG

A buddy of mine when I was in the USAF had it and was selling. It had somewhere in the 50K mile range, and I could have bought the thing for 23K. I had another big payment at the time, but I could have swung it with some cost-cutting elsewhere. I really regret not getting this car.

Friend of mine has a similar car in red....and thank you for your service!

13 minutes ago, Stew said:

1.  Back in 98:  mint 91 5.0 Notchback 5 speed.  Stock and in mint condition.

2.  similar time period another 91 5.0 Notchback, red, mint condition, bone stock

Skipped both and got a T-Bird which was probably better anyways as i was still a teenager haha.

3.  91 Z28 99 or 2000, 305 TPI/auto all options for that year including t-tops

4.  around 02 or 03  71 Duster, nicely modified, decided it was a little too much for a daily driver haha

5.  2009 Challenger R/T in 2010.  Was getting a kickass price on it, but backed off because I was afraid of winter driving it since I would have had to trade the Jeep I had at the time. 

i really regret not buying a Fox body mustang back when they were cheap and readily available, something that is definitely not the case now!

14 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

2009; Car #2- 2003 Titanium Silver over Black BMW M3 Coupe 6MT-

standard.jpg

Looked identical to ^ car. At my local Jeep dealer. It was a one-owner car driven by a B-52 pilot who babied the car. He traded it for a Wrangler Unlimited. Car was immaculate. Had 36K miles on it. I was trying to get a loan for it, but I was beat by another buyer. Turns out, it was my old NCOIC who was a big BMW nut- he owned an E30 325i and E34 M5. He bought the car for $23,000, put nearly 30,000 miles on it over the course of the next 4 years, and sold it for 28 grand. This one by far hurt the worst.

2012; Car #3- 1996 Black Honda Civic Si-

88623d1259391207-calling-all-black-96-00

I worked at a Ford dealership that took it in on trade. Had 94K miles, and aside from a few minor dents scratches and rock chips, was clean. Drove great. Was completely stock except for a warm-air intake and small basket-handle rear spoiler. I could have bought it $5,600. I didn't. Really didn't even have a good reason, I just didn't. Stupid. 

That is an excellent era of Civic SI also. Looks good in both blue and black.

• Agree 1

2016; Car #5- 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan 5MT

7F0C51BA-E8AE-4494-A7BA-8B3DB99CC1C7_1.j

This was just a few months ago. And it's especially painful because I ended up selling it. I could have bought it for $3,200. Sold it for $3,500. It was in good shape, save for needing an exhaust, and having some light surface rust in the rear rockers. Car was a blast to drive. If nothing else, I should have flipped it.

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Friend of mine has a similar car in red....and thank you for your service!

i really regret not buying a Fox body mustang back when they were cheap and readily available, something that is definitely not the case now!

That is an excellent era of Civic SI also. Looks good in both blue and black.

Thank you, and you are very welcome. Jessi (guy, also in AF) worked in Logistics, and bought the car with his at-the-time wife when he was stationed in Alaska. They split, he ended up with, but she had paid it down to 9K. So he was still pocketing a nice chunk from it, even at that stupid-low price. I actually ended up buying a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT for my wife not even a year later.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Stew said:

Both of those had around 60k miles for 6 grand!  no way you could find a mint 5.0/manual Notchback in perfect condition with those miles now UGH!

No kidding!

I've only bought one car, which is my Malibu. I got it because I had my dad's employee discount at the Chevy dealer. I still maintain that with the 3.6L it was the best car Chevy sold at the time. I also thought it was a stunner (for a midsize car) when it was unveiled.

However...

I have a huge soft spot for this funky wagon, and I absolutely could've bought one for less than I paid on the Malibu.
Carscoop_ChevyHHR_SS_1.jpg

Edited by cp-the-nerd

8 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I've only bought one car, which is my Malibu. I got it because I had my dad's employee discount at the Chevy dealer. I still maintain that with the 3.6L it was the best car Chevy sold at the time. I also thought it was a stunner (for a midsize car) when it was unveiled.

However...

I have a huge soft spot for this funky wagon, and I absolutely could've bought one for less than I paid on the Malibu.

Have a friend who has an HHR SS and loves it.  Think is getting ready to trade it for a Durango R/T though since he has had it for a while and his wife just got a Grand Cherokee a months ago. 

28 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

However...

I have the same issue-I wanted to order one of these in blue.  The number built in colors other than red or black is very, very small for the HHR SS Panel.

Ive had a couple of cars slip away from my hands in my day...

A co-worker of mine had a mint early 1970s Toyota Celica manual transmission. Green like this one.

toyota-celica-13_600x0w.jpg

I dont remember if it was a GT like in the pic, nor do I remember what was under the hood but it was a fun car to drive around in. I learned to drive manual in that car. He was selling.

A college buddy had a 1989 2.8 liter red T-Top Firebird auto.

89_Firebird_Form.jpg

I went with the Firebird because :

1. T-Tops

2. Automatic

I wonder today what it would be like to own that little Toyota. I LOVED the Firebird,but I was truly smitten with the Celica.

After I wrapped the Firebird around a traffic light pole, I had a chance to buy myself a beater 1960 Chevrolet Impala. My dad did not want for me to buy it as he was afraid it would be a money pit. So we bought a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT together instead....

7155_2bf3273c7c_low_res.jpg

It was a  coupe but  the condition of it was similar to this one below...same colour too...

It had the original hub caps, was selling only for $2000 CDN in 1994. Considering I gave my dad 5000 for the Grand Am not a bad price...ebay872103.jpg

HMMMMM.....1994 FWD N-Body versus a rock-n-roll American cruiser....

I REGRET THAT decision...I would have driven my dad's car anyway had the Impala died on me....but my dad wanted to punish me as I totaled his 1986 Celebrity at the same time I wrecked my Firebird a couple of months apart...

And finally, around 1999 or 2000, an American customer of mine (I own a restaurant and he just moved  to Quebec, the poor fellow....) had a 1970 Dodge Challenger he wanted to get rid of. It was EXACTLY like the General Lee only it was black and it did not have the ram bars up front. It had the 318 under the hood. He was the 3rd owner and it was a Southern car. I think he was from North Carolina and the car was from there too. No rust on it, but...

1280px-'69_Dodge_Charger_('12_Cruisin'_A

Paint was faded and looked all right. But It had tons of bondo in certain places and THAT scared me NOT to buy it. I wish I did though.

It looked like this. He was asking $7000. I could have negotiated the price but all that bondo scared me off.

neglected-plum-crazy-1970-dodge-charger-

Edited by oldshurst442

The next 2 cars are in hindsight that the great American V8 affordable car will eventually die off!

Back in 1999, I wanted a classy car. A coupe but classy. There was no Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme coupe and the Intrigue was sedan only. Hello Alero is what I said.

I did own a 1989 Firebird V6 so a Trans Am at that point in time was off the table....not classy for me at that point in time

I should have bought this instead though...

tw_640.jpg

I had the cash and I was a single guy with NO girlfriend to become a wife anytime soon. However, I might not be alive today....185HP/205 ftl-lbs torque versus 320ish HP/345ish ft-lbs...

And in 2005, I needed a family car to which I found a woman who could stand me in 2000 so I traded in that Alero for a 2005 Impala Supercharged SS.  I had rented a Chrysler 300C to which I loved but RWD in Montreal aint ideal...

I wish I bought that 300C...

2005_chrysler_300_series_4dr_sdn_300c_lt

6 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

However...

Did you actually have a chance at the HHR SS Panel???? Those are rare as F. 

I too had a buddy with an HHR SS 5 spd and he loved it. 

Yes, I did have a chance at an HHR SS Panel.  I almost ordered one also.

As for the charger thing, when i bought my 66 Mustang fastback, I turned down a solid, B5 blue 69, 318 and an automatic, nothing fancy, but not rusted busted or wrecked 69 Charger for $4500. Kicking myself for that one also.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Did you actually have a chance at the HHR SS Panel???? Those are rare as F. 

I too had a buddy with an HHR SS 5 spd and he loved it. 

Yes. I could have ordered/bought one, they were still being produced when I bought my Malibu. I don't have regrets, but that was my second choice and the coolest car I ever could've bought but didn't.