Frisky Dingo

What Would You Buy Instead: Porsche 911 Carrera Edition

27 posts in this topic

C&D recently did a test on the rarest of 911's. Not a GTx, or "Insert Random Special Edition Here", or even the new R. No, the rarest 911 of all is a stripper model. A near-base, non-S C2 w/ a 7MT. Turns out, it's still a damn fine car. Here's the story for those interested-

C&D 911 Carrera Instrumented Test

 

991-111.jpg

 

This car just conveniently happens to occupy a price bracket just above our previous entry, the M4 Comp Pkg. Base price is $90,450, as-tested was $96,650. We'll use a range of 90K up to 110K. Rules will be....

1) As always, must be a NEW 2016 or 2017 MY car on sale now.

2) Choice must be a 2 DR performance coupe or sports car of some kind. Any drive-type is fine.

3) MSRP must be at least $90,000 and cannot be more than $110,000

 

Enjoy.

 

 

Edited by Frisky Dingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had the disposable income necessary for a 100 000 dollar car, this area of the enthusiast car spectrum would not be of interest to me.  Too small and too low for my driving tastes. Sure these kinds of  cars are sexy and scream out loud what boils down to: the essence of car enthusiasm full of lust and speed...but it aint what I prefer.

With that being said, I might as well just keep this choice.  This car might just be the best of its ilk...might as well just enjoy it!

991-111.jpg

But...a Vette or a Viper would also do...Z07 C7-R Edition and T/A respectively.

Corvette-Z06-C7.R-Edition3.jpg

smade-srt-vipe-2.jpg?w=577&h=384&crop=1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But as a stripper, did she properly move her hips and wiggle her assets like an american can? :o

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2016 at 5:23 PM, Cmicasa the Great said:

Z06 or Bust at that price range. That would be fully loaded at the top end of your price

14706981_10207385074374444_4155452200135776435_o.jpg

For a performance car, yeah...the Porsche is cool, but my money would go into the Z06 all day long.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stew said:

2016 C63 Coupe, priced out to just over 93k. 

 

c63-amg-coupesvfsv-054_0.jpg?itok=K7mvEk

If we are buying Euro I would option up a Jag F type before I would buy this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If we are buying Euro I would option up a Jag F type before I would buy this.

Haha, that was my main choice, a R, but even adding a nicer set of wheels put it out of the price range :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stew said:

Haha, that was my main choice, a R, but even adding a nicer set of wheels put it out of the price range :(

If I ever get to the point I can afford an F type R, I can probably buy the wheels....but yes, F type FTW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If I ever get to the point I can afford an F type R, I can probably buy the wheels....but yes, F type FTW!

Oh yes, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhh the AMG GT starts at 111k! 

Well I've always loves the F-Type R as well. It definitely isn't the best or fastest in this price range but it's the prettiest to me and nastiest sounding.

It would be so hard to pass up 650hp/tq in a Z06 though. Ideally, with this much coin I would buy a used ZR1 and then a base mustang GT or what not but that's not in the scenario..lol Or a GT350 and a "regular" vette even. 55k+55k.

I think I'd take a loaded up Z06 and a few sets of tires to go with it.

5A71FF08-3DA0-49BF-BF52-1756AE54DBA9_zps

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lookiing at that pic of the C6 Z06 in CCap's post... and talking about the long in the tooth, and boring stylng of the 911 sure has me thinking that the C6 GS-Z06 models could have continued on as a separate car for the Corvette line-Up.. no different that the Porsche bunch with a Cayman selling next to said 911.

 

Corvette C6 and C7.. :PWell WHY THE HELL NOT?:angry:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Lookiing at that pic of the C6 Z06 in CCap's post... and talking about the long in the tooth, and boring stylng of the 911 sure has me thinking that the C6 GS-Z06 models could have continued on as a separate car for the Corvette line-Up.. no different that the Porsche bunch with a Cayman selling next to said 911.

 

Corvette C6 and C7.. :PWell WHY THE HELL NOT?:angry:

Bring everything from C1 through C8 into production would be even better!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Lookiing at that pic of the C6 Z06 in CCap's post... and talking about the long in the tooth, and boring stylng of the 911 sure has me thinking that the C6 GS-Z06 models could have continued on as a separate car for the Corvette line-Up.. no different that the Porsche bunch with a Cayman selling next to said 911.

 

Corvette C6 and C7.. :PWell WHY THE HELL NOT?:angry:

Give me a C6 ZR1 with the C7 interior and I would be golden :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Lookiing at that pic of the C6 Z06 in CCap's post

lol I didn't even mean to post a C6.. I didn't even think about it when I got excited about how awesome this one looks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

lol I didn't even mean to post a C6.. I didn't even think about it when I got excited about how awesome this one looks.

Murdered out cars in black look fantastic, love this and the Lincoln in the other thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

Murdered out cars in black look fantastic, love this and the Lincoln in the other thread.

AB-SO-LUTELY! As long as the owner is willing to wash it once a week and keep it looking clean, best color "combo" out there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

AB-SO-LUTELY! As long as the owner is willing to wash it once a week and keep it looking clean, best color "combo" out there.

Change that to about once a day for people who live in Ohio like me and drive a lot of miles in a major city.  I obviously don't wash my car that often, but there are days I think that is what it would take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I've owned a black car and in the right(wrong) weather and time of year every day is what it would take. Winter or the times of year when farmers are doing whatever to their fields and there's just a ton of dust in the air.. I would wash my car about every Sunday and it could have easily been twice a week to keep it looking how I wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The C3 cars are really under rated. I like the 78 Pace car and the 1969-1972 Chrome bumper cars the best, but there is a lot in that era to love!

96-Chevy-Corvette-Grand-Sport-DV-10-LF-0

Would not kick a 96 Grand Sport out of the garage either.

68627-your-fantasy-fleet-low-midpriced-c

C5 Z06 is affordable even at my price range, and is a fantastic car in its own right.

General Motors Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson's Regal Turquoise 1958 Corvette
1962 Corvette Roadster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The C3 cars are really under rated. I like the 78 Pace car and the 1969-1972 Chrome bumper cars the best, but there is a lot in that era to love!

 

C3's after 1972 were craptastic.

 

And while Corvette was at the darkest point of it's existence, the 911 Turbo was paving the way for a new era of sports cars, and starting a legacy of dual-purpose sports cars that still exist today. And actually, is still the standard of the class it created.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

 

C3's after 1972 were craptastic.

 

And while Corvette was at the darkest point of it's existence, the 911 Turbo was paving the way for a new era of sports cars, and starting a legacy of dual-purpose sports cars that still exist today. And actually, is still the standard of the class it created.

Depends on what you are buying it for.  They make a great weekend cruiser, I have known lots of satisfied C3 owners.

And 1970's Porsche have plenty of issues of their own.

Would still own a C7 Z06 over a 911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.