dfelt

Large Luxury SUV Test by MT

21 posts in this topic

This was a cool read on MT, their BIG Test of Luxury SUVs.

2015-Large-Luxury-SUV-front-end-in-motion.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadillac/escalade/2015/the-big-test-large-luxury-suvs/

The end results were as follows:

6TH PLACE: INFINITI QX80

When you factor in worst in test fuel economy, a cramped third row, and those awkward looks, you have a big SUV
that only one of us loved.

5TH PLACE: LINCOLN NAVIGATOR

Although it’s cheaper than the others, it’s not nearly as luxurious. We love the powertrain and the ‘Gator’s utility.

4TH PLACE: LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER HSE

Gorgeous truck, Gerry McGovern be praised. But the suspect build quality and pricey everything else leaves us cold.

3RD PLACE: LEXUS LX 570

Old age and treachery get some respect! Not ideal for all owners, but there’s something uniquely desirable about Lexus’ go-anywhere bruiser.

2ND PLACE: MERCEDES-BENZ GL450

Our former SUV of the Year is starting to show signs of age. Still, the GL remains one of the smartest SUVs you can buy.

1ST PLACE: CADILLAC ESCALADE PLATINUM

The best looking, the best interior, the best sounding, and the quickest in our test. The Cadillac Escalade Platinum stole our hearts.

In reading the write up, it was amazing to see many of the folks involved in the testing said while they all picked this as the SUV of the Year in 2015, looking back, the exterior and interior are sadly showing how dated it is. Not holding up well compred to the Escalade.

I was also surprised by the fact that they found the Lexus was actually a better off roader and more features for off road driving than the vaunted Range Rover. The lexus had the most features that allowed you to do things the range rover could not.

I honestly thought it was a very balanced, one of the better reads from MT.

• Upvote 1

The Range Rover and the Cadillac are the only two of interest to me here. And honestly, there would only be one choice even though the Rover is nice...

ESCALADE!

Just now, Cmicasa the Great said:

Caddy hit the ball out thepark on this one.. hell GM did with all three. I love my Yukon.. but won't lie. I have seriously considered trading her in for a Escalade just for the 6.2L and Caddy badge. 

It is an amazing vehicle, would love to see you do this.

16 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Caddy hit the ball out thepark on this one.. hell GM did with all three. I love my Yukon.. but won't lie. I have seriously considered trading her in for a Escalade just for the 6.2L and Caddy badge. 

You should, I love my Escalade ESV platinum. Worth every penny! The road trips and ease of taking a group makes it worth it. Plus so much more, ya just do not realize how nice the Escalade is till you own one and spend hours behind the wheel driving and realize you're as comfy as the first min 18 hrs later.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Land Rover, then Mercedes for this guy

But But your Ford, so why not the Lincoln?

34 minutes ago, dfelt said:

But But your Ford, so why not the Lincoln?

I picked an ex Ford - The Land Rover. ^_^

As far as the Lincoln goes, I'm content to wait for when the aluminium Navi materializes.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd swap the Rover into 2nd, Benz 3rd, Lexus 4th. 

The Lexus is somewhat bland.  I like their passenger cars much more than their SUV's/

• Upvote 1

Course if anyone wants to really kick MB AMG SUV, Turbo Porsche or the Supercharged Range Rover, you could turn to Hennessy who makes a supercharged 557hp 542lbs of torque monster Escalade.

Just what Halloween has ordered!

2015escaladehpe557hp-542lbs.gif

If that is not enough they do have their top end offer of the HPE 800

805 hp / 812 lbs of torque

HPE800

Lets see BMW or MB beat that! :P

Course this is only till the Escalade V arrives in the near future. Wonder if it will keep the same HP / Torque as the CTS or get detuned?

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Did someone with brand new dark blue jeans rub their butt all over that seat?

I think it is just the shadow in the photograph.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I had not seen this Escalade interior before. No wonder they were gushing.

2015-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-cockpit.

2015-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-front-in

Agree I love this warm Mocha interior. Talk about a nice, warm relaxing interior.

The Escalade is definitely the clear winner here. Out of all them though, I would never ever consider the hideous Infiniti or the notoriously unreliable and overpriced Range Rover. The Lincoln should not have even been invited to the luxury party though until the new model comes out, which promises to be leaps and bound better than this outdated beast.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The Escalade is definitely the clear winner here. Out of all them though, I would never ever consider the hideous Infiniti or the notoriously unreliable and overpriced Range Rover. The Lincoln should not have even been invited to the luxury party though until the new model comes out, which promises to be leaps and bound better than this outdated beast.

Absolutely agree here.

Infinity is sort of like your brain on drugs...and not good drugs....

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Did someone with brand new dark blue jeans rub their butt all over that seat?

I noticed that coloration as well.. Something looks off about it. Other than that though it is a great looking interior to me.

36 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Absolutely agree here.

Infinity is sort of like your brain on drugs...and not good drugs....

:roflmao: 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Last week, Ford CEO Jim Hackett unveiled his plans for the company. One key part of his plan is moving $7 billion from the development of cars to trucks. What does this entail? Car and Driver have done a bit of digging and has brought forth some answers.
      Jim Farley, Ford’s president of global markets tells the magazine the company will focus on its regional strengths for future products. For the U.S., this means developing “authentic, off-road capable” vehicles according to him. That includes the upcoming EcoSport crossover, Ranger pickup, and Bronco SUV.
      Ford is planning to focus on utility vehicles in other markets as well as they have found success with “styled, on-road performance" crossovers. Europe will begin seeing models that are “urban-utility products.” For Asia (in particular China), Ford will focus on the "C-plus" larger midsize segment and three-row SUVs.
      As for cars, Farley said Ford will be repositioning products in certain markets to "lower-volume, higher-revenue sub-segments." For example, the Fiesta and Focus will become more upmarket.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Ford CEO Jim Hackett unveiled his plans for the company. One key part of his plan is moving $7 billion from the development of cars to trucks. What does this entail? Car and Driver have done a bit of digging and has brought forth some answers.
      Jim Farley, Ford’s president of global markets tells the magazine the company will focus on its regional strengths for future products. For the U.S., this means developing “authentic, off-road capable” vehicles according to him. That includes the upcoming EcoSport crossover, Ranger pickup, and Bronco SUV.
      Ford is planning to focus on utility vehicles in other markets as well as they have found success with “styled, on-road performance" crossovers. Europe will begin seeing models that are “urban-utility products.” For Asia (in particular China), Ford will focus on the "C-plus" larger midsize segment and three-row SUVs.
      As for cars, Farley said Ford will be repositioning products in certain markets to "lower-volume, higher-revenue sub-segments." For example, the Fiesta and Focus will become more upmarket.
      Source: Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      Back in July, we reported that Ferrari was planning an SUV. This was a bit of a surprise since Ferrari Chairman and FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne said "you have to shoot me first,” when asked about this last year. He would confirm that the brand is considering this a month later. It seems now Ferrari is now beyond the consideration stage.
      Today at the New York Stock Exchange, Marchionne said the automaker is deciding on production which will take about 30 months to complete. Production would be limited to preserve exclusivity.
      “We’re dead serious about this. We need to learn how to master this whole new relationship between exclusivity and scarcity of product, then we’re going to balance this desire to grow with a widening of the product portfolio,” said Marchionne.
      As we reported back in August, the SUV or 'FUV' as Marchionne calls it is part of an effort to double the profits of Ferrari.
      Source: Bloomberg
    • By William Maley
      Back in July, we reported that Ferrari was planning an SUV. This was a bit of a surprise since Ferrari Chairman and FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne said "you have to shoot me first,” when asked about this last year. He would confirm that the brand is considering this a month later. It seems now Ferrari is now beyond the consideration stage.
      Today at the New York Stock Exchange, Marchionne said the automaker is deciding on production which will take about 30 months to complete. Production would be limited to preserve exclusivity.
      “We’re dead serious about this. We need to learn how to master this whole new relationship between exclusivity and scarcity of product, then we’re going to balance this desire to grow with a widening of the product portfolio,” said Marchionne.
      As we reported back in August, the SUV or 'FUV' as Marchionne calls it is part of an effort to double the profits of Ferrari.
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The head of Hyundai's N performance division, Albert Biermann said luxury automakers are too focused pm technology that doesn’t give value to customers.
      “It’s all marketing, first of all. “How many people really buy it later on? Much of this exists for media, to give a hype, to show the technology level. But how many people really buy it later on?" said Biermann to Australian outlet Drive.
      “If the tech will fail, you’re just adding the burden to the buyer, right?”
      We can assume some of the tech Biermann is referring to are things like gesture controls for the infotainment system or perfume diffusers. Biermann also brought up the example of a camera that looks at the road and makes adjustments to the suspension, calling it stupid.
      “In our G90 you will not find any air suspension, or active roll-bars, or active whatever. A camera sensing the road, and this stuff. It’s stupid. We have a solid Hyundai steel platform, tonnes of high-strength steel – okay, it’s a little bit heavier than the other cars – and we have adjustable shock absorbers, and that’s it. We still outpace the S-Class in the double lane-change in the Consumer Reports. We almost beat the BMW, without all the fancy stuff,” said Biermann.
      Biermann explained that Genesis will be focusing on simple technologies to make them reliable. He said Hyundai's chairman, Chung Mong-koo said he wants all Hyundai and Genesis models to be “like new” after a decade on the road.
      On one hand, Biermann has a point. Luxury cars are notorious for being expensive to keep on the road, partly due to all the technology equipment fitted to them. On the other hand, those technologies are a big selling point on these vehicles. Buyers use these to justify the price and they are a cool party trick to show to friends and family.
      Source: Drive.com.au
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About Us

CheersandGears.com

Founded 2001

We  Cars

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

User Submitted Content

Contact Us