dfelt

Large Luxury SUV Test by MT

21 posts in this topic

dfelt    1,782

This was a cool read on MT, their BIG Test of Luxury SUVs.

2015-Large-Luxury-SUV-front-end-in-motion.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadillac/escalade/2015/the-big-test-large-luxury-suvs/

The end results were as follows:

6TH PLACE: INFINITI QX80

When you factor in worst in test fuel economy, a cramped third row, and those awkward looks, you have a big SUV
that only one of us loved.

5TH PLACE: LINCOLN NAVIGATOR

Although it’s cheaper than the others, it’s not nearly as luxurious. We love the powertrain and the ‘Gator’s utility.

4TH PLACE: LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER HSE

Gorgeous truck, Gerry McGovern be praised. But the suspect build quality and pricey everything else leaves us cold.

3RD PLACE: LEXUS LX 570

Old age and treachery get some respect! Not ideal for all owners, but there’s something uniquely desirable about Lexus’ go-anywhere bruiser.

2ND PLACE: MERCEDES-BENZ GL450

Our former SUV of the Year is starting to show signs of age. Still, the GL remains one of the smartest SUVs you can buy.

1ST PLACE: CADILLAC ESCALADE PLATINUM

The best looking, the best interior, the best sounding, and the quickest in our test. The Cadillac Escalade Platinum stole our hearts.

In reading the write up, it was amazing to see many of the folks involved in the testing said while they all picked this as the SUV of the Year in 2015, looking back, the exterior and interior are sadly showing how dated it is. Not holding up well compred to the Escalade.

I was also surprised by the fact that they found the Lexus was actually a better off roader and more features for off road driving than the vaunted Range Rover. The lexus had the most features that allowed you to do things the range rover could not.

I honestly thought it was a very balanced, one of the better reads from MT.

• Upvote 1

The Range Rover and the Cadillac are the only two of interest to me here. And honestly, there would only be one choice even though the Rover is nice...

ESCALADE!

Just now, Cmicasa the Great said:

Caddy hit the ball out thepark on this one.. hell GM did with all three. I love my Yukon.. but won't lie. I have seriously considered trading her in for a Escalade just for the 6.2L and Caddy badge. 

It is an amazing vehicle, would love to see you do this.

dfelt    1,782
16 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Caddy hit the ball out thepark on this one.. hell GM did with all three. I love my Yukon.. but won't lie. I have seriously considered trading her in for a Escalade just for the 6.2L and Caddy badge. 

You should, I love my Escalade ESV platinum. Worth every penny! The road trips and ease of taking a group makes it worth it. Plus so much more, ya just do not realize how nice the Escalade is till you own one and spend hours behind the wheel driving and realize you're as comfy as the first min 18 hrs later.

• Upvote 1

dfelt    1,782
11 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Land Rover, then Mercedes for this guy

But But your Ford, so why not the Lincoln?

FordCosworth    128
34 minutes ago, dfelt said:

But But your Ford, so why not the Lincoln?

I picked an ex Ford - The Land Rover. ^_^

As far as the Lincoln goes, I'm content to wait for when the aluminium Navi materializes.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd swap the Rover into 2nd, Benz 3rd, Lexus 4th. 

The Lexus is somewhat bland.  I like their passenger cars much more than their SUV's/

• Upvote 1

dfelt    1,782

Course if anyone wants to really kick MB AMG SUV, Turbo Porsche or the Supercharged Range Rover, you could turn to Hennessy who makes a supercharged 557hp 542lbs of torque monster Escalade.

Just what Halloween has ordered!

2015escaladehpe557hp-542lbs.gif

If that is not enough they do have their top end offer of the HPE 800

805 hp / 812 lbs of torque

HPE800

Lets see BMW or MB beat that! :P

Course this is only till the Escalade V arrives in the near future. Wonder if it will keep the same HP / Torque as the CTS or get detuned?

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Did someone with brand new dark blue jeans rub their butt all over that seat?

I think it is just the shadow in the photograph.

• Upvote 1

dfelt    1,782
13 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I had not seen this Escalade interior before. No wonder they were gushing.

2015-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-cockpit.

2015-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-front-in

Agree I love this warm Mocha interior. Talk about a nice, warm relaxing interior.

surreal1272    677

The Escalade is definitely the clear winner here. Out of all them though, I would never ever consider the hideous Infiniti or the notoriously unreliable and overpriced Range Rover. The Lincoln should not have even been invited to the luxury party though until the new model comes out, which promises to be leaps and bound better than this outdated beast.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The Escalade is definitely the clear winner here. Out of all them though, I would never ever consider the hideous Infiniti or the notoriously unreliable and overpriced Range Rover. The Lincoln should not have even been invited to the luxury party though until the new model comes out, which promises to be leaps and bound better than this outdated beast.

Absolutely agree here.

Infinity is sort of like your brain on drugs...and not good drugs....

• Upvote 1

ccap41    1,163
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Did someone with brand new dark blue jeans rub their butt all over that seat?

I noticed that coloration as well.. Something looks off about it. Other than that though it is a great looking interior to me.

dfelt    1,782
36 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Absolutely agree here.

Infinity is sort of like your brain on drugs...and not good drugs....

:roflmao: 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      It was about a month ago that we reported on the rumor of Ferrari working on an SUV, a complete 180 from Ferrari Chairman (and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO) Sergio Marchionne's “you have to shoot me first” answer when asked about this last year. That rumor has been revealed to be true.
      During a conference call reporting second-quarter earnings, Marchionne confirmed that the Italian sports car builder is considering an expansion into utility vehicles and possibly reinvent the segment.
      "It will probably happen but it will happen in Ferrari’s style,” said Marchionne.
      "That space is too big and too inviting and we have a lot of our customers who will be more than willing to drive a Ferrari-branded vehicle that has that king of utilitarian objective."
      Marchionne also reiterated the “you have to shoot me first” comment is if Ferrari comes up with something similar to the models from Bentley or Porsche.
      Bloomberg learned from sources earlier in the week about Ferrari considering adding an SUV to their lineup in an effort to double profits by 2022. The model would be targeted at customers in Asia, particularly those in China. This could add an extra 2,000 sales for the company. But this could bring up a big problem for Ferrari. Currently, Ferrari produces under 10,000 vehicles a year to avoid various emission regulations. By possibly adding an SUV, Ferrari would now have to meet them. According to sources, Ferrari is planning on introducing more hybrid models beginning in 2019 to meet the various regulations.
      Next year, Marchionne will be presenting his final five-year business plan for FCA and their various brands. We'll likely find out then if Ferrari is going forward on the utility vehicle.
      Source: Bloomberg, (2)
    • By William Maley
      It was about a month ago that we reported on the rumor of Ferrari working on an SUV, a complete 180 from Ferrari Chairman (and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO) Sergio Marchionne's “you have to shoot me first” answer when asked about this last year. That rumor has been revealed to be true.
      During a conference call reporting second-quarter earnings, Marchionne confirmed that the Italian sports car builder is considering an expansion into utility vehicles and possibly reinvent the segment.
      "It will probably happen but it will happen in Ferrari’s style,” said Marchionne.
      "That space is too big and too inviting and we have a lot of our customers who will be more than willing to drive a Ferrari-branded vehicle that has that king of utilitarian objective."
      Marchionne also reiterated the “you have to shoot me first” comment is if Ferrari comes up with something similar to the models from Bentley or Porsche.
      Bloomberg learned from sources earlier in the week about Ferrari considering adding an SUV to their lineup in an effort to double profits by 2022. The model would be targeted at customers in Asia, particularly those in China. This could add an extra 2,000 sales for the company. But this could bring up a big problem for Ferrari. Currently, Ferrari produces under 10,000 vehicles a year to avoid various emission regulations. By possibly adding an SUV, Ferrari would now have to meet them. According to sources, Ferrari is planning on introducing more hybrid models beginning in 2019 to meet the various regulations.
      Next year, Marchionne will be presenting his final five-year business plan for FCA and their various brands. We'll likely find out then if Ferrari is going forward on the utility vehicle.
      Source: Bloomberg, (2)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Genesis is slowly building out its lineup of vehicles with a compact sedan called the G70 coming soon, along with a variety of SUVs and a coupe. We now have an idea of the possible names for these upcoming models.
      Motor Authority has found various trademark filings done by Genesis for the United States Patent and Trademark Office. First up, Genesis has filed trademarks on GV60, GV70, and GV80. This is for their upcoming lineup of SUVs which first saw previewed the GV80 concept earlier this year at New York. Genesis has said their SUVs will use GV and a number for naming. 
      We know that Genesis is working on a coupe that is due to arrive in 2020 and it could be wearing a GT nameplate. Genesis has filed trademark applications for GT60, GT70, GT80, and GT90.
      Finally, Motor Authority found a filing for the G60 trademark. This could possibly hint at a subcompact model of some sort.
      As with all stories dealing with trademarks, this doesn't mean vehicles will appear with these names. But we can count on some of the GV names appearing on future models.
      Source: Motor Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Genesis is slowly building out its lineup of vehicles with a compact sedan called the G70 coming soon, along with a variety of SUVs and a coupe. We now have an idea of the possible names for these upcoming models.
      Motor Authority has found various trademark filings done by Genesis for the United States Patent and Trademark Office. First up, Genesis has filed trademarks on GV60, GV70, and GV80. This is for their upcoming lineup of SUVs which first saw previewed the GV80 concept earlier this year at New York. Genesis has said their SUVs will use GV and a number for naming. 
      We know that Genesis is working on a coupe that is due to arrive in 2020 and it could be wearing a GT nameplate. Genesis has filed trademark applications for GT60, GT70, GT80, and GT90.
      Finally, Motor Authority found a filing for the G60 trademark. This could possibly hint at a subcompact model of some sort.
      As with all stories dealing with trademarks, this doesn't mean vehicles will appear with these names. But we can count on some of the GV names appearing on future models.
      Source: Motor Authority
    • By William Maley
      Unless you have been living underneath a rock, then you know that the popularity of crossovers and SUVs have been booming. A new analysis reveals this popularity will not be going away anytime soon.
      IHS Markit looked at consumer loyalty rates for various body styles from 2012 to April 2017 and found that 66.2 percent owners of SUV and crossover models returned to buy another - the highest IHS has ever recorded. To give some perspective, pickups come second at 50.9 percent.
      "We collect this data and provide it to our clients once a month, but we felt that the results were so extraordinary in terms of consumer loyalty numbers for SUVs and CUVs that we wanted to publicly release it," said Tom Libby, manager of automotive loyalty and industry analysis at IHS Markit.
      More surprising is how much the loyalty rate for SUVs and crossovers has been rising since 2012. That year saw a loyalty rate of 52.9 percent.
      "While one can make the case that a factor is gas prices, there are some other key drivers to sport and crossover utility. One is wide range of selection in price and size of crossover vehicles. SUVs also have the appealing combination where the driver gets the comfort level of being in a car but also gets the versatility of being in a larger vehicle," Libby said.
      With one body style going up, one must go down. In this case, it happens to be the sedan. In 2012, loyalty for sedans stood at 56 percent. Since then, the rate has been dropping - stands at 49 percent through the first four months of this year. IHS Markit analysis revealed that in the first four months of 2017, two-thirds of sedan owners that bought a new vehicle chose an SUV/crossover. Those likely to switch from a sedan to an SUV/crossover are ones that have owned only one sedan.
      But don't expect sedans to go away anytime soon.
      "While loyalty in sedans has gone down, sedans aren't going away. Sedans still play a significant part in the market, and that's not going away anytime soon," said Libby.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About Us

CheersandGears.com

Founded 2001

We  Cars

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

User Submitted Content

Contact Us