What Would You Buy Instead: Buick Encore Edition

C&D got their hands on a new 2017 Encore. Here is the link-

2017 Buick Encore Test

A fairly positive review. So let's assume you are shopping for a small, but fairly nice personal car to commute to work and back in. Reasonably priced and efficient, but nice and well-equipped. Base price is $27,385, and as-tested was $29,080.

Rules-

1) Your choice must be a NEW on-sale now 2016 or 2017 model.

2) You are limited to sub-compact CUV's or compact NON-PERFORMANCE hatchbacks for this one. So no Rav4/Escape/CR-V or GTI/FocST.

3) You are allowed choice of drivetrains- FWD or AWD.

4) MSRP on your choice MUST be AT LEAST $27,000, but NO MORE than $30,000. 

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Edited by Frisky Dingo

My Cannondale and some time on two wheels looks pretty good given those constraints.

But if I had to buy something in that Category, Mazda CX3.

Or if it were allowed actually Fiat 500X, but I don't think that quite fits....nor would a Renegade, which actually would be my other choice.

Lacking that, and being unable to buy the Buick, please bring me the Honda HRV and a couple of good shots of bourbon.

Audi A3 starts at 31,200 in the sportback/hatchback guise....sadly...overpriced...

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

With that criteria.. it's basically only the Encore. Which is fine, I'm 53k miles into mine and not a lick of trouble.

It is a really nice vehicle. You have me beat in terms of miles we are 48K into the TDI....

I would rather have Mazda 3s Grand Touring hatchback

AWD in these small utes is almost useless, and not much space either

AT least 3 can be manual and it is really fun to drive with 2.5l engine

2015-mazda-mazda3_100491469_h.jpg

Edited by ykX

7 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

After tax incentive can I pick BOLT.. the MTCOTY and techno tour de force??? If not.. let it be the Trax in Premier trim AWD and Black on Black wit midnight silver addition wheels

17trax-blog1.jpg

if allowed the incentive, hell yes!

37 minutes ago, Stew said:

hmmmmm, the Renegade and the 500X are both seen as direct competitors.  I would of course have to go Renegade Trailhawk in either Mojave sand or Granite.

maxresdefault.jpg

I was not sure if this was small enough. given it is the only one here with actual off road capacity and actual towing capacity with the 2.0 and the automatic.....yes...

37 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So I'm a little confused. Is the money restriction only on base price or on as configured price?

Something like that, apparently, I think either is correct.

Well 3 vehicles stand out to me over the Encore and Casa nailed it! If I can get the Bolt that is easily the one. If not, I'm inbetween the CX-3 and the Renegade. Completely opposite vehicles in terms of one is sporty on road and the other is sporty off-road. But honestly, if I had 30k for a SUV/SUV I think I'd step up a class to the CX-5/Escape/CR-V/Cherokee size.

I built a Grand Touring, AWD, CX-5 for $29,900.  This makes me think the Buick is a little over priced but then again they only send magazines their top trim plus additional options.

If it really came down to it I might sacrifice AWD for the Tech package because LED lights just look so damn cool.

@Frisky Dingo Is this step up in class size allowed?

If so, this is exactly like the one I built online. Grand Touring in a dark grey.

Mazda CX-5.PNG

Edited by ccap41

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

My Cannondale and some time on two wheels looks pretty good given those constraints.

But if I had to buy something in that Category, Mazda CX3.

Or if it were allowed actually Fiat 500X, but I don't think that quite fits....nor would a Renegade, which actually would be my other choice.

Lacking that, and being unable to buy the Buick, please bring me the Honda HRV and a couple of good shots of bourbon.

500X and Renegade are both allowed.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

With that criteria.. it's basically only the Encore. Which is fine, I'm 53k miles into mine and not a lick of trouble.

See above. Read rules more clearly. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So I'm a little confused. Is the money restriction only on base price or on as configured price?

As-built.

Bolt fits in the guidelines. I will allow it since the the tax credit is a federal one, and not a MFR one.

Edited by Frisky Dingo