William Maley

Lexus Teases Next-Generation LS Before Detroit Debut: Comments

16 posts in this topic

William Maley    410

We're just only month away before the Detroit Auto Show kicks off and automakers are beginning to tease out what they'll be showing. Today, Lexus has announced that the next-generation LS will debut at Detroit. Not much is known about the next LS aside from it using the all new Global Architecture-Luxury (GA-L) that debuted on the LC coupe this year. It would not be surprising if we see the 5.0L V8 (473 horsepower) with the 10-speed automatic and hybrid powertrains from LC being used in the LS.

Source: Lexus 
Press Release is on Page 2

New Lexus LS Flagship Sedan to Make Global Debut at the 2017 NAIAS

TORRANCE, Calif. (December 8, 2016) -- Lexus announced today that the all-new, fifth-generation LS flagship sedan will make its world debut at the 2017 North American International Auto Show next month.

The introduction of the LS 400 in 1989 in Detroit made automotive history as a world-class car for the United States. Not only did the vehicle make its mark by offering the drive performance, quietness, and luxury that consumers expected from a premium vehicle, but its unveiling also heralded the birth of the Lexus brand.

Now, 28 years later, the all-new LS sedan will be a world-class car for more than 90 countries around the globe, boasting a bold new look with a coupe-like silhouette. Built on the company’s all-new global architecture for luxury vehicles (GA–L), the premium rear-wheel drive platform—an extended version of that used in the LC 500—will offer a more dynamic experience on the road.  Inside the spacious cabin, luxurious appointments and visionary technology will provide drivers with the luxury experience they expect from a global flagship sedan.

View full article

dfelt    1,874

Can they update their powertrain line too please, so behind the times in HP / Torque on top of shaking my head design language, quality materials, etc.

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Can they update their powertrain line too please, so behind the times in HP / Torque on top of shaking my head design language, quality materials, etc.

They are a very well built car with a huge loyal following...they are second only to Benz in terms of overall US sales...and are statistically the longest lasting cars on the road, if you look at the last 15-20 years or so....

But yes, they need to bring their A game to the party.

• Upvote 1

dfelt    1,874
Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

They are a very well built car with a huge loyal following...they are second only to Benz in terms of overall US sales...and are statistically the longest lasting cars on the road, if you look at the last 15-20 years or so....

But yes, they need to bring their A game to the party.

+1 on the A Game!

dfelt    1,874
4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Maybe they can slut shame Cadillac into improving the already good CT6....!

Asian woman, :wub:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Asian woman, :wub:

Ohh yes, the long black hair, slender figure, delicate facial features....hell yes!

• Upvote 1

oldshurst442    1,052

Just give me this.

Everything else at Lexus could be thrown in the garbage.

2018-Lexus-LC-500-front-three-quarter-in

lexus-lc500-webdrive-1101.jpg?itok=CbwSx

OK..Ill also take this one too

Lexus%20RC%20F%20with%20Solar%20Flare%20

Edited by oldshurst442

Suaviloquent    713

I've always been a big fan of the LS, especially the first gen and even the recent generation.

Lexus perfected what was the hallmark of American large sedans. I know people rag on it for not having power relative to the class. But it's the last of it's kind to offer naturally aspirated V8. And that has some prestige because it's a rarity. And it probably is the most reliable car one can drive, and it probably doesn't depreciate like it's peers.

One thing Lexus knows for sure, it's the build quality of interior in the GS and LS. And the rear-seat executive package is still a generation ahead of what is available for rear-seat passengers on the CT6 or Continental. 

4 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what this car brings. If I were in the market, it's very possible and likely this would be my pick.

Hopefully it does well. Lexus does a lot of things I like!

smk4565    357

The LC500 looks like an RC in the front, and a Toyota Marai fuel cell car in the rear.  It also isn't a full size coupe, they want to compare it to an S-class coupe, but it is the size of an E-class coupe, and an E43 can run with that LC500 V8, let alone what an E63 would do to it.  

I would actually be surprised if the new LS had anything other than a 4.6 liter V8 from forever ago was the base engine, and they offer the 5.0 V8 as an LS500-F.  

oldshurst442    1,052
2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The LC500 looks like an RC in the front, and a Toyota Marai fuel cell car in the rear.  It also isn't a full size coupe, they want to compare it to an S-class coupe, but it is the size of an E-class coupe, and an E43 can run with that LC500 V8, let alone what an E63 would do to it.  

I would actually be surprised if the new LS had anything other than a 4.6 liter V8 from forever ago was the base engine, and they offer the 5.0 V8 as an LS500-F.  

technically, the RC looks like the LC500 as the concept car came first...and the RC took its looks from the concept car. The LC500 is EXACTLY how the concept car was, its just that the concept car was green lighted way late as Lexus really had no intentions in building but they finally did...

The LC500 has got something no Mercedes car you mentioned has...

Concept car sex appeal.

The classic and modern Gullwing sports cars and the McLaren sports car are more in line with what the LC500 is. Price tags aside of course.

smk4565    357

Cadillac if they would get some guts could build an Eldorado that stomps the LC500.   I'll say at least Lexus had the guts to build something risky.  Lexus powertrains still lag behind what others are offering.  Think of the LS460's V8 makes less hp and torque than the CT6 turbo V6, or even an Infiniti Q50 turbo V6.  A 375 hp V8 was great in 2007, but Lexus hasn't improve the motor since and it is 2017 model year now.  You can't go 10 years with no improvement on your "Flagship" product that is supposed to be cutting edge.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Those who were hoping for a return performance of the Ford Fiesta ST will be disappointed to hear this news. According to CarBuzz, the director of Ford Performance of Europe, Leo Roeks said there isn't enough interest to bring the new model over.
      “It’s simply a matter of a lack of interest in the B-segment in America. It doesn’t make sense, nor is it possible financially speaking, to import a single trim level, and a niche one at that,” Roeks said.
      This news isn't that all surprising. Subcompacts have been seeing their sales drop for the past two years, and 2017 isn't looking much better. The Fiesta was one of the hardest hit models, seeing a decline of 24.3 percent in 2016. As we reported in the rumorpile back in July , Ford was considering cutting the Fiesta in either late 2018 or 2019. This was further bolstered by comments made Fiesta program manager Robert Stiller.
      When reached for comment by Autoblog, Ford issued this statement,
      "We have introduced the next-generation Fiesta for Europe and Middle East & Africa. We'll have more to say about other markets at a later date. Customer demand for small vehicles continues to grow globally, and Fiesta is an important part of our portfolio."
      We have two things to say. One, Ford STOP BEING SO CAGEY AND JUST TELL US IF THE FIESTA IS COMING OR GOING! Two, if you have been considering a Fiesta ST, you might want to consider picking one up ASAP.
      Source: CarBuzz, Autoblog

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Those who were hoping for a return performance of the Ford Fiesta ST will be disappointed to hear this news. According to CarBuzz, the director of Ford Performance of Europe, Leo Roeks said there isn't enough interest to bring the new model over.
      “It’s simply a matter of a lack of interest in the B-segment in America. It doesn’t make sense, nor is it possible financially speaking, to import a single trim level, and a niche one at that,” Roeks said.
      This news isn't that all surprising. Subcompacts have been seeing their sales drop for the past two years, and 2017 isn't looking much better. The Fiesta was one of the hardest hit models, seeing a decline of 24.3 percent in 2016. As we reported in the rumorpile back in July , Ford was considering cutting the Fiesta in either late 2018 or 2019. This was further bolstered by comments made Fiesta program manager Robert Stiller.
      When reached for comment by Autoblog, Ford issued this statement,
      "We have introduced the next-generation Fiesta for Europe and Middle East & Africa. We'll have more to say about other markets at a later date. Customer demand for small vehicles continues to grow globally, and Fiesta is an important part of our portfolio."
      We have two things to say. One, Ford STOP BEING SO CAGEY AND JUST TELL US IF THE FIESTA IS COMING OR GOING! Two, if you have been considering a Fiesta ST, you might want to consider picking one up ASAP.
      Source: CarBuzz, Autoblog
    • By William Maley
      If there is one thing that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is consistent on, it is their ability to change their future plans on a whim and cause us to scratch our heads. Case in point, Automotive News has learned that FCA has ditched plans on moving the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger/Challenger to the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Instead, all of the models will get will one more refresh in 2019 that will cut weight and boost fuel economy. There is also talk about the 300 getting the option of the Hellcat V8 because FCA thinks we don't have enough vehicles with it?!
      In 2021, the Charger and Challenger will be (finally) redesigned. They'll be based on the platform the underpins the Maserati Ghibli. There is no mention about the 300 moving to this platform, possibly hinting that the 300 will be shown the door - something we reported on back in November.
      Will there be any Chrysler or Dodge model that will use the Giorgio platform? Yes and that will be the next-generation Journey that is possibly arriving in 2019.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), 2

View full article
    • By William Maley
      If there is one thing that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is consistent on, it is their ability to change their future plans on a whim and cause us to scratch our heads. Case in point, Automotive News has learned that FCA has ditched plans on moving the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger/Challenger to the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Instead, all of the models will get will one more refresh in 2019 that will cut weight and boost fuel economy. There is also talk about the 300 getting the option of the Hellcat V8 because FCA thinks we don't have enough vehicles with it?!
      In 2021, the Charger and Challenger will be (finally) redesigned. They'll be based on the platform the underpins the Maserati Ghibli. There is no mention about the 300 moving to this platform, possibly hinting that the 300 will be shown the door - something we reported on back in November.
      Will there be any Chrysler or Dodge model that will use the Giorgio platform? Yes and that will be the next-generation Journey that is possibly arriving in 2019.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), 2

• By William Maley
      Lexus might not be the first choice when it comes to a compact luxury coupe. But when I drove the RC 350 F-Sport back in 2015, we found it to be a very capable coupe. Aside from the creamsicle paint color, the RC impressed me with distinctive styling, punchy V6, and sharp handling. Two years later, I find myself revisiting the RC - this time with the base 2.0L turbo-four engine. As I would find out during our week, there is a lot to like about the standard RC. But there is one glaring issue that would make me look at a competitor.
      The standard RC’s design somehow balances a handsome shape with extroverted details. The front features the widest version of the spindle grille, slits in the front bumper, and LED lighting under the headlights. Bulging fenders and rounded roofline make the RC stand out from the crowd. There are only two things I would change about this RC. First is the color. The silver paint on our tester makes the RC a bit dull to look at. Something more vibrant such as a red would really help out. We would also swap the 5-spoke, 18-inch wheels for the wheels found on the F-Sport package. The interior hasn’t changed since we last drove the RC and that’s both a good and bad thing. The good is that the RC still has the IS’ dash design which makes the vehicle’s sporting intentions clear. It is easy to find a comfortable position in the front seats thanks to the power adjustments on offer. The bad? It begins with the infotainment system. A 7-inch screen is nestled far back in the dash, making it hard to read at a quick glance. I wished Lexus had upgraded the screen to the 10.2-inch version found in the refreshed IS. The optional Remote Touch system is a bit frustrating to use as you have be very precise when making your selection. One slip of the finger and you’ll end up with a different selection.  Don’t expect to carry passengers in the RC’s backseat as leg room is non-existent. It's better to use it as a place for cargo. What is that glaring issue I mentioned at the beginning? That would be the turbo 2.0L. It produces 241 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Power delivery can best be described as the engine delivers enough oomph to move the vehicle from a stop, before falling off a cliff. There isn’t that rush of power throughout the rpm band that you would have in another model such as the Cadillac ATS 2.0T. On the upside, the 2.0L turbo in the RC didn’t have the horrendous turbo lag that I experienced in the IS 200t last year. The eight-speed automatic that comes standard on rear-drive models delivers smooth gear changes. I did find myself wishing the gear changes were somewhat quicker when the RC is put into the Sport mode via the drive selector. The standard RC fits the definition of a ‘Gran Tourer’. It may not handle as well as the RC 350 F-Sport in the bends - there is little bit more body roll and the steering isn’t as direct. But most people who drive it will be ok with that as it is ‘just right’. On rough roads, the RC 200t excels as bumps are smoothed over.  Wind noise is mostly nonexistent, while there is a fair amount of road noise coming inside. The 2017 RC 200t begins at $40,155. With a modest amount of options such as navigation, blind spot monitoring, and adaptive cruise control, the as-tested price came to $45,234. The RC 200t is mostly show and not much go. For some folks, that’s all they want. A coupe that stands out in and tells the world to look at me. For others, save up a bit more money and go for the 350. The added performance of the V6 gives the coupe the go it deserves. Disclaimer: Lexus Provided the RC 200t, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Lexus
      Model: RC
      Trim: 200t
      Engine: Turbo 2.0L DOHC 16-valve with Dual VVT-i
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 241 @ 5,800
      Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 1,650-4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/32/26
      Curb Weight: 3,737 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $40,155
      As Tested Price: $45,234 (Includes $975.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Navigation System - $1,470.00
      Premium Package - $1,240.00
      Dynamic Radar Cruise Control w/Pre-Collison - $500.00
      Illuminated Door Sills - $449.00
      Windshield Deicer and Headlamp Cleaner - $220.00
      Door Edge Guards - $115.00
      All-Weather Floormats - $110.00

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)