Lexus Teases Next-Generation LS Before Detroit Debut: Comments

We're just only month away before the Detroit Auto Show kicks off and automakers are beginning to tease out what they'll be showing. Today, Lexus has announced that the next-generation LS will debut at Detroit. Not much is known about the next LS aside from it using the all new Global Architecture-Luxury (GA-L) that debuted on the LC coupe this year. It would not be surprising if we see the 5.0L V8 (473 horsepower) with the 10-speed automatic and hybrid powertrains from LC being used in the LS.

Source: Lexus 
Press Release is on Page 2

New Lexus LS Flagship Sedan to Make Global Debut at the 2017 NAIAS

TORRANCE, Calif. (December 8, 2016) -- Lexus announced today that the all-new, fifth-generation LS flagship sedan will make its world debut at the 2017 North American International Auto Show next month.

The introduction of the LS 400 in 1989 in Detroit made automotive history as a world-class car for the United States. Not only did the vehicle make its mark by offering the drive performance, quietness, and luxury that consumers expected from a premium vehicle, but its unveiling also heralded the birth of the Lexus brand.

Now, 28 years later, the all-new LS sedan will be a world-class car for more than 90 countries around the globe, boasting a bold new look with a coupe-like silhouette. Built on the company’s all-new global architecture for luxury vehicles (GA–L), the premium rear-wheel drive platform—an extended version of that used in the LC 500—will offer a more dynamic experience on the road.  Inside the spacious cabin, luxurious appointments and visionary technology will provide drivers with the luxury experience they expect from a global flagship sedan.

View full article

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Can they update their powertrain line too please, so behind the times in HP / Torque on top of shaking my head design language, quality materials, etc.

They are a very well built car with a huge loyal following...they are second only to Benz in terms of overall US sales...and are statistically the longest lasting cars on the road, if you look at the last 15-20 years or so....

But yes, they need to bring their A game to the party.

• Agree 1

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

They are a very well built car with a huge loyal following...they are second only to Benz in terms of overall US sales...and are statistically the longest lasting cars on the road, if you look at the last 15-20 years or so....

But yes, they need to bring their A game to the party.

+1 on the A Game!

I've always been a big fan of the LS, especially the first gen and even the recent generation.

Lexus perfected what was the hallmark of American large sedans. I know people rag on it for not having power relative to the class. But it's the last of it's kind to offer naturally aspirated V8. And that has some prestige because it's a rarity. And it probably is the most reliable car one can drive, and it probably doesn't depreciate like it's peers.

One thing Lexus knows for sure, it's the build quality of interior in the GS and LS. And the rear-seat executive package is still a generation ahead of what is available for rear-seat passengers on the CT6 or Continental. 

4 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what this car brings. If I were in the market, it's very possible and likely this would be my pick.

Hopefully it does well. Lexus does a lot of things I like!

The LC500 looks like an RC in the front, and a Toyota Marai fuel cell car in the rear.  It also isn't a full size coupe, they want to compare it to an S-class coupe, but it is the size of an E-class coupe, and an E43 can run with that LC500 V8, let alone what an E63 would do to it.  

I would actually be surprised if the new LS had anything other than a 4.6 liter V8 from forever ago was the base engine, and they offer the 5.0 V8 as an LS500-F.  

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The LC500 looks like an RC in the front, and a Toyota Marai fuel cell car in the rear.  It also isn't a full size coupe, they want to compare it to an S-class coupe, but it is the size of an E-class coupe, and an E43 can run with that LC500 V8, let alone what an E63 would do to it.  

I would actually be surprised if the new LS had anything other than a 4.6 liter V8 from forever ago was the base engine, and they offer the 5.0 V8 as an LS500-F.  

technically, the RC looks like the LC500 as the concept car came first...and the RC took its looks from the concept car. The LC500 is EXACTLY how the concept car was, its just that the concept car was green lighted way late as Lexus really had no intentions in building but they finally did...

The LC500 has got something no Mercedes car you mentioned has...

Concept car sex appeal.

The classic and modern Gullwing sports cars and the McLaren sports car are more in line with what the LC500 is. Price tags aside of course.

Cadillac if they would get some guts could build an Eldorado that stomps the LC500.   I'll say at least Lexus had the guts to build something risky.  Lexus powertrains still lag behind what others are offering.  Think of the LS460's V8 makes less hp and torque than the CT6 turbo V6, or even an Infiniti Q50 turbo V6.  A 375 hp V8 was great in 2007, but Lexus hasn't improve the motor since and it is 2017 model year now.  You can't go 10 years with no improvement on your "Flagship" product that is supposed to be cutting edge.