Jump to content
TaurusSHO

MT: Lincoln Continental 3.0T First Test

Recommended Posts

The 2017 Lincoln Continental might be labeled as quiet luxury, but even the timid ones have a wild side. And how could it not with two turbos and 400 horses under its hood?

The big Lincoln returns after a 14-year hiatus, and the automaker set out to make its comeback something special. And that’s certainly the case with one of the sedan’s engine choices—a Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 churning out 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque that’s been paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard fare, but our test car was equipped with an all-wheel-drive system.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lincoln/continental/2017/2017-lincoln-continental-30t-awd-first-test-review/

 

 

An overall positive review and man is that interior gorgeous. :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TaurusSHO said:

The 2017 Lincoln Continental might be labeled as quiet luxury, but even the timid ones have a wild side. And how could it not with two turbos and 400 horses under its hood?

The big Lincoln returns after a 14-year hiatus, and the automaker set out to make its comeback something special. And that’s certainly the case with one of the sedan’s engine choices—a Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 churning out 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque that’s been paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard fare, but our test car was equipped with an all-wheel-drive system.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lincoln/continental/2017/2017-lincoln-continental-30t-awd-first-test-review/

 

 

An overall positive review and man is that interior gorgeous. :wub:

Pretty much still a Meh car for me.  I do not like the interior as much in these photographs, and overall the design still looks heavy and awkward to me.

Now this...http://www.lexus.com/models/LS

Is a Luxury car!

 

Lexus LS

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought the LS was anything special.  I'd gladly take a loaded Black Label over it.  More realistically, I'd be content with a Select model with the Revel audio system and 30-way seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TaurusSHO said:

I never thought the LS was anything special.  I'd gladly take a loaded Black Label over it.  More realistically, I'd be content with a Select model with the Revel audio system and 30-way seats. 

To each his own...! I am a huge fan of Lexus and not much of a Lincoln fan....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course.  I feel the opposite way haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TaurusSHO said:

Of course.  I feel the opposite way haha.

...and I wish you many happy miles if you ever end up with a continental.  I am really happy that Ford is building this and that they are making conquest sales.  Lexus, BMW and everyone else needs a little bit of a wake up call...they have gotten too comfortable....this should make people in management nervous in Bavaria and Osaka.

Which should bring on the next cycle of product which will be even more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lincoln, nice very nice upgrade from the old version. Sadly, tight, not meant for large people and the lack of head room in the back makes this car a NOGO from the beginning for me. Having spent time with the car, the front passengers can get comfy, but not the back.

Lexus is a total yawner for me. My aunt has her 3rd one and always complains about having to take it in for repairs. Fit n Finish leaves allot to be desire. So far Lexus has not done much to win me over to be even an admirer of their auto's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Lincoln, nice very nice upgrade from the old version. Sadly, tight, not meant for large people and the lack of head room in the back makes this car a NOGO from the beginning for me. Having spent time with the car, the front passengers can get comfy, but not the back.

Lexus is a total yawner for me. My aunt has her 3rd one and always complains about having to take it in for repairs. Fit n Finish leaves allot to be desire. So far Lexus has not done much to win me over to be even an admirer of their auto's.

Lexus is by far the most reliable Luxury make, and they just overtook BMW for the number two sales spot within the last year in north America.

The only Luxury car that would have enough head room for you in the back is a Lincoln...a 1960's 4 door convertible...with the top down....:lol:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Lexus is by far the most reliable Luxury make, and they just overtook BMW for the number two sales spot within the last year in north America.

The only Luxury car that would have enough head room for you in the back is a Lincoln...a 1960's 4 door convertible...with the top down....:lol:

True they seem to have hit the reliable numbers, but then some people just seem to be lucky with lemons and I think my aunt is one of them.

True the old Lincolns of the 60's - 70's did have much head room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

True they seem to have hit the reliable numbers, but then some people just seem to be lucky with lemons and I think my aunt is one of them.

True the old Lincolns of the 60's - 70's did have much head room.

Sorry your aunt is having problems with hers.  I am probably not the best arbiter for what Luxury car buyers want. In my mind, I would like something with really athletic styling and power to match.

CTS-V seems like a no brainer if I was going to spend north of 50 K, but then again it is not a "flagship" and the LS and Conti are.

I like the CTS side profile much better than the ATS side and rear profile....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the Chrysler 200S when I look at that interior. It's just not *luxury* special beyond the optional seats.

2015-Chrysler-200-Sedan-LX-4dr-Front-whe

The overall engineering is basically like Cadillac's FWD-based XTS V-Sport, which was faster and better handling back in 2014 (13.7@104 mph, 26.3 sec figure-eight). This isn't in the league of the A7/A8, S-Class, etc, but we're supposed to continually give it a pass because it's good...for a Lincoln.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ehhh, the more I see the XTS, the more I see a whale as well. I mean, the only good angle on that car is the rear....where you end up thinking it's a CTS or ATS. Much better looking cars than the whale the XTS is. Compared to the MKS, the XTS is most definitely trim. But compared to everything else, yup it's also a whale.

 

The Lincoln Conti is damn good for what it the company is trying to do. And it is a bonus that it drives so well, even with 59% of the weight on the nose. If you want the luxury snob badge, and look for capability you most definitely do NOT need, then don't go for Lincoln.  

And I do not see much resemblance to the 200S. Well, the floating controls, that's riff of Audi A8 to begin with, so if Chrysler copied an Audi, and a Lincoln looks similar, it's not the 200 that the Lincoln interior is inspired from. Also, all the lower parts of the 200 are nasty cheap. You don't find that in the Lincoln, I'm afraid.

And yet most critics have said the Lincoln does most definitely have an authentic American luxury interior.

I dunno. the Lincoln Continental is conquesting over buyers, and it'll be a while to see what it's range of sales per month should be still.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I see the Chrysler 200S when I look at that interior. It's just not *luxury* special beyond the optional seats.

2015-Chrysler-200-Sedan-LX-4dr-Front-whe

The overall engineering is basically like Cadillac's FWD-based XTS V-Sport, which was faster and better handling back in 2014 (13.7@104 mph, 26.3 sec figure-eight). This isn't in the league of the A7/A8, S-Class, etc, but we're supposed to continually give it a pass because it's good...for a Lincoln.

I don't think Lincoln cares it isn't matching or besting anybody in the performance categories as that isn't what it was designed to do. 

Image is for a comparison. 

Continental Interior.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think Lincoln cares it isn't matching or besting anybody in the performance categories as that isn't what it was designed to do. 

Image is for a comparison. 

Continental Interior.jpg

Both the 200 and Conti are kind of disproportional IMHO.

10 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Ehhh, the more I see the XTS, the more I see a whale as well. I mean, the only good angle on that car is the rear....where you end up thinking it's a CTS or ATS. Much better looking cars than the whale the XTS is. Compared to the MKS, the XTS is most definitely trim. But compared to everything else, yup it's also a whale.

 

...which is why I have been pretty open that the CTS is the only Cadillac I would like enough to buy, and then probably only in V trim.

C class Benz is much better looking than the Lincoln or (most of the) Cadillac lineup IMHO and I am not a Benz fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

The Lincoln Conti is damn good for what it the company is trying to do. And it is a bonus that it drives so well, even with 59% of the weight on the nose. If you want the luxury snob badge, and look for capability you most definitely do NOT need, then don't go for Lincoln. 

It is a damn good car, and I am really happy it is making conquest sales. Things need to heat up in the luxury car market. I am a harsh critic of this car, but even as a harsh critic, I think it is a landmark car for not just Ford but also for the industry as a whole. The Shopkeepers bench went through the shopkeepers window with the cTS when it came out, it went back through the window with this car.

Like it or not, people will stand up and take notice of Lincoln with this...

11 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

And I do not see much resemblance to the 200S. Well, the floating controls, that's riff of Audi A8 to begin with, so if Chrysler copied an Audi, and a Lincoln looks similar, it's not the 200 that the Lincoln interior is inspired from. Also, all the lower parts of the 200 are nasty cheap. You don't find that in the Lincoln, I'm afraid.

 

I have openly praised Lincolns use of material elsewhere in Conti threads, let me repeat that here....they do a damn fine job!

My issue is with the dash proportions.  again, i like the center stack, but the whole dashboard looks heavy to me in a malaise era luxury car vibe that is not something I want to repeat.

Yes, agree, lower parts of the 200 dash are nasty cheap, but it was a luxury (near luxury) car that went out the door for the price of a nicely equipped Civic in many cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

And yet most critics have said the Lincoln does most definitely have an authentic American luxury interior.

C and G is corrupting me in the worst ways possible I am afraid.  A few years ago, I wanted a racing seat and a cage...now I am checking the online sites for used Luxury in the 25K range...

Despite the downsides to the Conti, given luxury car depreciation, I could actually see owning this myself used for a couple of reasons.

#1. Ford has done an excellent job with reliability....they are not Lexus, but they are very, very reliable. Build quality is way up and I trust them with things like electronics and body control modules more than many other luxury car makers. 

#2. Lincoln suffers a depreciation hit that rivals anything else in the used market, but around ere Lincoln, Cadillac, Lexus and Infinity seem to hold used residual value long term best...followed by Acura, and then Audi, then Benz, worst is BMW.

in other words, a nice price point for buy in gently used and then a good long term ownership experience in terms of repairs and depreciation.

#3. As expressed elsewhere, interior materials and also colors, I like Lincolns color choices better than any other luxury car maker.

#4. Ford parts prices seem to be more affordable than any other brand when it does come time to repair.

#5. Lack of snob appeal actually works well for me- I work with habitat for humanity swinging a hammer from time to time, also work as an adjunct Debate coach at the University I work at, and also work with the urban debate league-I think A Lincoln would actually come across as less snobish from an image standpoint, which would be  a plus...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of that being said, there are a lot of other options out there....but this car does have a certain pragmatic appeal in some ways.

A lot of what makes the Chrysler 300 good is here, in a package 12 years more fresh and from a much more stable company.

Also from a used car standpoint, I still like the IS 250/350 better....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

All of that being said, there are a lot of other options out there....but this car does have a certain pragmatic appeal in some ways.

A lot of what makes the Chrysler 300 good is here, in a package 12 years more fresh and from a much more stable company.

Also from a used car standpoint, I still like the IS 250/350 better....

If you have friends and Family over 5'10" you will want the 300 over the Conti. The 300 can fit comfy even Shrek size me at 6'6", The Conti is a fail for big people. Nice auto, decent, but not a big persons car. In fact I would say the saving grace is that the 300 is still the last remaining full size that has room for us big guys.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, dfelt said:

If you have friends and Family over 5'10" you will want the 300 over the Conti. The 300 can fit comfy even Shrek size me at 6'6", The Conti is a fail for big people. Nice auto, decent, but not a big persons car. In fact I would say the saving grace is that the 300 is still the last remaining full size that has room for us big guys.

I do like the room in the 300...V8 power is a huge plus also....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One huge plus that I hope Lincoln will be engraining in all of their autos is this is the first Lincoln to not be covered with Ford switchgear. They finally have their own stuff!! I think something small like that will make a huge difference for those who say, "this is just a gussied up Ford". 

The guy is really corny but there were some small things I didn't know about the car that I learned. 

Edited by ccap41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

One huge plus that I hope Lincoln will be engraining in all of their autos is this is the first Lincoln to not be covered with Ford switchgear. They finally have their own stuff!! I think something small like that will make a huge difference for those who say, "this is just a gussied up Ford". 

The guy is really corny but there were some small things I didn't know about the car that I learned. 

Small things yes...but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dfelt said:

If you have friends and Family over 5'10" you will want the 300 over the Conti. The 300 can fit comfy even Shrek size me at 6'6", The Conti is a fail for big people. Nice auto, decent, but not a big persons car. In fact I would say the saving grace is that the 300 is still the last remaining full size that has room for us big guys.

I guess it all depends on how you sit.  I am 6'1" and have no issue sitting in the back of our 2013 Taurus.  On a couple of road trips with my 6'3" uncle in front of me, it didn't feel cramped at all.  I imagine the Continental would seem like sitting in the back of a Town Car in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TaurusSHO said:

I guess it all depends on how you sit.  I am 6'1" and have no issue sitting in the back of our 2013 Taurus.  On a couple of road trips with my 6'3" uncle in front of me, it didn't feel cramped at all.  I imagine the Continental would seem like sitting in the back of a Town Car in comparison.

I invite you to go try as I was surprised on how tight it was and having to bend my head down. There is not much room in the back if you have a large person up front. Very tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I invite you to go try as I was surprised on how tight it was and having to bend my head down. There is not much room in the back if you have a large person up front. Very tight.

This is surprising, I will take my sons, both of whom are over 6 foot, to a Lincoln Showroom and verify this for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This is surprising, I will take my sons, both of whom are over 6 foot, to a Lincoln Showroom and verify this for myself.

Let me know how it goes, I would be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      Lincoln launched a pilot program for its own subscription service through Ford's Canvas earlier this year in the Los Angeles and the San Francisco areas. Unlike other programs that offer new vehicles, Lincoln's program offered off-lease vehicles that ranged from 2015 to 2017 model years. This allowed Lincoln to offer lower prices than competitors - prices ranged from $500 to $950 plus variable pricing on the amount of miles per month. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Lincoln's subscription service isn't doing so hot.
      “I’ve been surprised how few people are genuinely interested in that type of ownership. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said this is the next big thing. A lot of people are struggling to make the math work,” said Lincoln’s director of marketing, sales and service, Robert Parker.
      Parker explained that most of the customers who signed up needed a vehicle for a short time like searching for a new vehicle or needing something to get them around while their car was in the shop. 
      “The amount of people coming out after one or two months is very high. It’s just kind of an interim process,” said Parker.
      Lincoln is going to be making some changes to their program, although it is unclear what those might be. Parker threw out the suggestion of involving Lincoln dealers in the service, along with expanding vehicle ability.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Lincoln launched a pilot program for its own subscription service through Ford's Canvas earlier this year in the Los Angeles and the San Francisco areas. Unlike other programs that offer new vehicles, Lincoln's program offered off-lease vehicles that ranged from 2015 to 2017 model years. This allowed Lincoln to offer lower prices than competitors - prices ranged from $500 to $950 plus variable pricing on the amount of miles per month. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Lincoln's subscription service isn't doing so hot.
      “I’ve been surprised how few people are genuinely interested in that type of ownership. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said this is the next big thing. A lot of people are struggling to make the math work,” said Lincoln’s director of marketing, sales and service, Robert Parker.
      Parker explained that most of the customers who signed up needed a vehicle for a short time like searching for a new vehicle or needing something to get them around while their car was in the shop. 
      “The amount of people coming out after one or two months is very high. It’s just kind of an interim process,” said Parker.
      Lincoln is going to be making some changes to their program, although it is unclear what those might be. Parker threw out the suggestion of involving Lincoln dealers in the service, along with expanding vehicle ability.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      While the Lincoln MKT will depart from consumer showrooms when the Aviator launches next year, it will be sticking around for some time to serve those in the livery market.
      Robert Parker, Lincoln's marketing manager tells Automotive News that the MKT has become a favorite for livery services and funeral homes and they want to keep around for a just a bit longer.
      "MKT can fill that role profitably for the company and will for the time being. We don't think it negatively impacts the brand," said Parker.
      "It has a place. Just like a long snapper on a football team. Nobody knows their name, or cares, but if he screws up a snap, it's a bad day."
      Why not have the Aviator take on that role? According to Parker, the brand doesn't want the new Aviator on rental lots which could be detrimental to their growing cache.
      Consumers have completely forgotten about the MKT. Through August, Lincoln has only moved 1,653 MKTs, a 22 percent drop when compared to the same time last year.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      While the Lincoln MKT will depart from consumer showrooms when the Aviator launches next year, it will be sticking around for some time to serve those in the livery market.
      Robert Parker, Lincoln's marketing manager tells Automotive News that the MKT has become a favorite for livery services and funeral homes and they want to keep around for a just a bit longer.
      "MKT can fill that role profitably for the company and will for the time being. We don't think it negatively impacts the brand," said Parker.
      "It has a place. Just like a long snapper on a football team. Nobody knows their name, or cares, but if he screws up a snap, it's a bad day."
      Why not have the Aviator take on that role? According to Parker, the brand doesn't want the new Aviator on rental lots which could be detrimental to their growing cache.
      Consumers have completely forgotten about the MKT. Through August, Lincoln has only moved 1,653 MKTs, a 22 percent drop when compared to the same time last year.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Lincoln is slowly rising back up with products such as the Navigator, the 2019 Nautilus, and the upcoming Aviator. This has given the brand confidence and is asking dealers in the top 30 U.S. luxury markets to split away from Ford and build stand-alone stores.
      "Customers expect the environment to be equal to the product. They want to buy a luxury product in a luxury environment," said Robert Parker, Lincoln's director of marketing, sales, and service.
      Executives point out that the stand-alone stores regularly outsell Ford-Lincoln dealers and are responsive for most of the sales gains in recent years.
      About 150 dealers are located in the 30 markets that Lincoln says account for 70 percent of the industry's luxury sales. Already, about half of the dealers have either started construction or finished standalone. Lincoln wants the remaining dealers to do the same and is offering some incentives; help finding land for their new store, large bonuses for each vehicle, and allow them to sell the high-end Black Label models. Dealers can say no to this, but executives believe most will make the switch.
      "This is the time for us to leverage this opportunity with the world-class products and continue to evolve and step up our client experience," said Greg Wood, Lincoln's sales and service manager.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×