VW News: Rumorpile: Volkswagen Resurrects the Microbus for An Electric Vehicle

It seems every year or so, a rumor comes out that Volkswagen is bringing back the Microbus. The past couple of years have seen rumors talking about the Microbus returning as an electric vehicle. This is the case with the latest Microbus rumor.

Autocar has learned from sources at Volkswagen that the van is part of a possible five electric vehicle lineup that German automaker wants to launch by 2020. The model is said to carry some of the design cues of the original model with a flat front end and curbside sliding door. Max seating is said to be for seven people.

In terms of platform, the van will use Volkswagen's upcoming MEB platform that debuted on the iD concept earlier this year. For the van, the platform will be stretched out. This will allow for more batteries with a possible max range of 310 miles. The electric motor will be mounted near the rear axle, making the van rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is a possibility by using an electric prop shaft and front-mounted electric motors.

Source: Autocar
Pic Credit: Newspress USA

View full article

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

They needed this thing on the market yesterday. I hope they're shooting for earlier than 2020. I also hope they offer an ICE version.

Agree completely.

Interesting, sound like an EV, whether an ICE could happen would depend on if the MEB platform once stretched kept the ability to allow this., If the only focus on the EV then I would say no to the ICE, but that would limit it to the world markets.

I feel like VW hasn't built anything with style in over 20 years, they need something like this.  I think younger buyers that want something urban or modern, or want an active lifestyle vehicle or whatever you want to call it would love something like this.  How many millennials out there that don't want to buy Mom's Explorer or Pilot would buy up the Microbus, and EV is a good idea, because of the packaging and eco image.  

The problem with current minivans is they aren't mini, they are like Cadillac CT6 footprint.  Look at how the Kia Soul caught fire, I think a Microbus that was like a size up from that but had that boxy, funky look could be a hit.