William Maley

Volvo News: New Trademarks Hint At EVs from Volvo

Volvo has been busy filing trademark applications in Europe. Swedespeed reports that Volvo has applications filed for P5, P6, P8, P9, and P10 with European Union Intellectual Property Office. The applications say the names would be used for “vehicles and conveyances; Electric vehicles.” This leads Sweedspeed to speculate the names could be used on Volvo's current models to designate an electric version - S90 P6 for example.

Last year, Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson said they plan on launching their first electric vehicle by 2019.

Meanwhile, in the U.S., Volvo has filled out trademark applications V20 and V30. There isn't much information with these applications, saying they could be used on motor vehicles or other items such as steering wheels. Swedespeed thinks these names could be for small vehicles.

Source: Swedespeed

View full article

P ??????? Why a P, that makes no sense to me. How does that say EV or Hybrid?

Someone want to help me out here as to what I am missing?

Well people will certainly feel like peeing on them.  They won't sell, that much is certain.

Maybe 'P' for power and the number denotes battery kilowatt hours? So:

P6 = 60 kWh, p10 = 100 kWh...

29 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

Maybe 'P' for power and the number denotes battery kilowatt hours? So:

P6 = 60 kWh, p10 = 100 kWh...

I like your Thinking Peach Butt! :P

Why would they do 50 to 100, with increments of 10 kWH?

I think it might be P for plug with the number being more actually about the kind of comparable gas engine to look at... So P6 would be like a equivalent of the T6 already available..., but really, who gives a hell? Why do electric vehicles need, at times.... dumb names that always have to signify "oh look here I am electric, my electrons will teleport you faster than your engines could ever chug lung cancer juice."

So T8 v. P8.....I think battery capacity might increase but not increments of 10....that sounds arbritary, too many variants and wasteful. Unless you cannot get a P5 through 7 on the S90. Only P8 and up, being even higher than the T8...

8 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Why would they do 50 to 100, with increments of 10 kWH?

I think it might be P for plug with the number being more actually about the kind of comparable gas engine to look at... So P6 would be like a equivalent of the T6 already available..., but really, who gives a hell? Why do electric vehicles need, at times.... dumb names that always have to signify "oh look here I am electric, my electrons will teleport you faster than your engines could ever chug lung cancer juice."

So T8 v. P8.....I think battery capacity might increase but not increments of 10....that sounds arbritary, too many variants and wasteful. Unless you cannot get a P5 through 7 on the S90. Only P8 and up, being even higher than the T8...

If you think of what Tesla offers which is in increments of 10, I can totally see it being the battery size.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. ToniCipriani
      ToniCipriani
  • Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Volvo an Uber announced a deal where Uber will purchase 24,000 Volvo XC90 Plug-In Hybrid SUVs over 3 years to expand Uber's self-driving fleet. Uber has been testing self-driving vehicles in Pittsburgh since Autumn 2016 with human supervision in the driver seat.  Over 100 such vehicles are currently in operation in the city.
      The deal marks the largest single order of vehicles for Geely owned Volvo. While no financial details were disclosed, the minimum retail price for an XC90 T8 Hybrid is $64,950. Volvo expects the profit margin per vehicle to be on par with traditional sales through a dealership network.
      Uber chose the XC90 because much of the hardware to add autonomous capabilities is already built into the car.  Geely/Volvo engineers have been working closely with Uber to ensure that compatibility going forward.
      With a major shift in buying and driving habits coming in the future, Volvo is placing its chips on partnering with Uber to remain relevant in an industry ripe for disruption.
      Photo: Uber

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Volvo an Uber announced a deal where Uber will purchase 24,000 Volvo XC90 Plug-In Hybrid SUVs over 3 years to expand Uber's self-driving fleet. Uber has been testing self-driving vehicles in Pittsburgh since Autumn 2016 with human supervision in the driver seat.  Over 100 such vehicles are currently in operation in the city.
      The deal marks the largest single order of vehicles for Geely owned Volvo. While no financial details were disclosed, the minimum retail price for an XC90 T8 Hybrid is $64,950. Volvo expects the profit margin per vehicle to be on par with traditional sales through a dealership network.
      Uber chose the XC90 because much of the hardware to add autonomous capabilities is already built into the car.  Geely/Volvo engineers have been working closely with Uber to ensure that compatibility going forward.
      With a major shift in buying and driving habits coming in the future, Volvo is placing its chips on partnering with Uber to remain relevant in an industry ripe for disruption.
      Photo: Uber
    • By William Maley
      General Motors CEO Mary Barra spoke yesterday at the Barclays Global Automotive Conference in New York. During her talk, Barra said the company expects to make a profit off electric vehicles once they launch their next-generation EV platform.
      “We are working to provide desirable, obtainable and profitable vehicles that deliver a range of over 300 miles. There’s a lot of really creative things we’re doing to achieve that profitability point for that new platform,” Barra said to investors.
      The next-generation modular platform, due in 2021 will play a pivotal role in GM's plan to launch 20 all-new electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles by 2023. The platform will help drop the total per-unit cost by 30 percent or more. It will be used across a number of GM brands and various segments.
      GM is also working on a new battery system that will cut the per-kilowatt-hour from $145 to under $100 by 2021.
      Before these two launches, GM will be introducing four new EV and hydrogen vehicles. Two of those will be launch by April 2019 according to a GM spokesman. At least two vehicles will be small crossovers according to Automotive News. It is expected the electric models will use the underpinnings of the Chevrolet Bolt.
      The company has a set a goal of a million electric vehicles by 2026 - with most happening in China due to their strict production quotas for EVs. 
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      General Motors CEO Mary Barra spoke yesterday at the Barclays Global Automotive Conference in New York. During her talk, Barra said the company expects to make a profit off electric vehicles once they launch their next-generation EV platform.
      “We are working to provide desirable, obtainable and profitable vehicles that deliver a range of over 300 miles. There’s a lot of really creative things we’re doing to achieve that profitability point for that new platform,” Barra said to investors.
      The next-generation modular platform, due in 2021 will play a pivotal role in GM's plan to launch 20 all-new electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles by 2023. The platform will help drop the total per-unit cost by 30 percent or more. It will be used across a number of GM brands and various segments.
      GM is also working on a new battery system that will cut the per-kilowatt-hour from $145 to under $100 by 2021.
      Before these two launches, GM will be introducing four new EV and hydrogen vehicles. Two of those will be launch by April 2019 according to a GM spokesman. At least two vehicles will be small crossovers according to Automotive News. It is expected the electric models will use the underpinnings of the Chevrolet Bolt.
      The company has a set a goal of a million electric vehicles by 2026 - with most happening in China due to their strict production quotas for EVs. 
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Bentley appears to have electric vehicles on the brain. Back in September, we reported that the luxury automaker decided to go forward on an electric coupe over a small SUV. It seems there are plans for another electric vehicle.
      According to a report from Automobile Magazine, Bentley will be working on its own version of the Porsche Mission E codenamed J1. The new model will use the Mission E architecture which is said to have three different power outputs - 402, 536, and 670 horsepower. But there is talk of Porsche working on a monster version producing 936 horsepower and coming with larger batteries. Expect a four-door coupe design and possibly wearing the name of Barnato.
      There is a wrinkle to this as Audi is said to be working on its own take on the J1 possibly named e-tron GT.
      Source: Automobile Magazine

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook