William Maley

Volvo News: New Trademarks Hint At EVs from Volvo

Volvo has been busy filing trademark applications in Europe. Swedespeed reports that Volvo has applications filed for P5, P6, P8, P9, and P10 with European Union Intellectual Property Office. The applications say the names would be used for “vehicles and conveyances; Electric vehicles.” This leads Sweedspeed to speculate the names could be used on Volvo's current models to designate an electric version - S90 P6 for example.

Last year, Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson said they plan on launching their first electric vehicle by 2019.

Meanwhile, in the U.S., Volvo has filled out trademark applications V20 and V30. There isn't much information with these applications, saying they could be used on motor vehicles or other items such as steering wheels. Swedespeed thinks these names could be for small vehicles.

Source: Swedespeed

View full article

P ??????? Why a P, that makes no sense to me. How does that say EV or Hybrid?

Someone want to help me out here as to what I am missing?

Well people will certainly feel like peeing on them.  They won't sell, that much is certain.

Maybe 'P' for power and the number denotes battery kilowatt hours? So:

P6 = 60 kWh, p10 = 100 kWh...

29 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

Maybe 'P' for power and the number denotes battery kilowatt hours? So:

P6 = 60 kWh, p10 = 100 kWh...

I like your Thinking Peach Butt! :P

Why would they do 50 to 100, with increments of 10 kWH?

I think it might be P for plug with the number being more actually about the kind of comparable gas engine to look at... So P6 would be like a equivalent of the T6 already available..., but really, who gives a hell? Why do electric vehicles need, at times.... dumb names that always have to signify "oh look here I am electric, my electrons will teleport you faster than your engines could ever chug lung cancer juice."

So T8 v. P8.....I think battery capacity might increase but not increments of 10....that sounds arbritary, too many variants and wasteful. Unless you cannot get a P5 through 7 on the S90. Only P8 and up, being even higher than the T8...

8 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Why would they do 50 to 100, with increments of 10 kWH?

I think it might be P for plug with the number being more actually about the kind of comparable gas engine to look at... So P6 would be like a equivalent of the T6 already available..., but really, who gives a hell? Why do electric vehicles need, at times.... dumb names that always have to signify "oh look here I am electric, my electrons will teleport you faster than your engines could ever chug lung cancer juice."

So T8 v. P8.....I think battery capacity might increase but not increments of 10....that sounds arbritary, too many variants and wasteful. Unless you cannot get a P5 through 7 on the S90. Only P8 and up, being even higher than the T8...

If you think of what Tesla offers which is in increments of 10, I can totally see it being the battery size.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. gmfannyc
      gmfannyc
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Next month at the Geneva Motor Show, Volvo will be showing off the new V60 wagon. At least that was the plan. Only a few hours after Volvo dropped a teaser video, a couple pictures of the supposed model made their way online. The pictures, which first appeared on Bosnian site AutoMotoSvijet have been since taken down, but not before various other sites grabbed copies.
      As we suspected from spy shots last month, the new V60 looks like a downsized V90 with a clean profile and taillights that extend upward on the tailgate. We're expecting a similar interior design found in the XC60, along with the choice of the T5, T6, and T8 plug-in hybrid powertrains.
      Volvo will be revealing the V60 at an event next week and we'll be sure to bring you the details.
      Source: AutoMotoSvijet via CarScoops, Motor Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Next month at the Geneva Motor Show, Volvo will be showing off the new V60 wagon. At least that was the plan. Only a few hours after Volvo dropped a teaser video, a couple pictures of the supposed model made their way online. The pictures, which first appeared on Bosnian site AutoMotoSvijet have been since taken down, but not before various other sites grabbed copies.
      As we suspected from spy shots last month, the new V60 looks like a downsized V90 with a clean profile and taillights that extend upward on the tailgate. We're expecting a similar interior design found in the XC60, along with the choice of the T5, T6, and T8 plug-in hybrid powertrains.
      Volvo will be revealing the V60 at an event next week and we'll be sure to bring you the details.
      Source: AutoMotoSvijet via CarScoops, Motor Authority

• By William Maley
      Mazda hasn't even put their Skyactiv-X technologies into production and already they are talking about the next-generation known as Skyactiv-3.
      Automotive News reports that Mazda's powertrain chief Mitsuo Hitomi said the gasoline version of Skyactiv-3 will have the same emission levels as an electric vehicle.
      Hitomi told attendees of automotive technical conference in Toyko that Mazda will be working on improving the thermal efficiency of its engines. This reduces the "amount of combustion energy lost to heat while increasing the amount harnessed to power the wheels." If Mazda can improve the thermal efficiency by 27 percent, to 56 percent, Hitomi said it could achieve emissions similar to an EV.
      How does he come this conclusion? There is a bit of fuzzy math to reach this. It is based Mazda's measurement of wheel-to-wheel emission for electric vehicles and internal combustion engines. For electric vehicles, Mazda includes the carbon dioxide emitted in the production of electricity for the vehicle. The emissions from oil extraction and refining are included in the measurement for internal combustion engines. Mazda's calculations say that some EVs are dirtier than fuel efficient gas-powered models.
      Mazda also believes that it cut carbon dioxide emissions by 25 percent with the next-generation of Skyactiv, giving them "real world well-to-wheel fuel economy comparable to EVs deriving their electricity through the burning of liquefied natural gas," according to Hitomi.
      No timeframe was given as to when Skyactiv-3 would debut.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Mazda hasn't even put their Skyactiv-X technologies into production and already they are talking about the next-generation known as Skyactiv-3.
      Automotive News reports that Mazda's powertrain chief Mitsuo Hitomi said the gasoline version of Skyactiv-3 will have the same emission levels as an electric vehicle.
      Hitomi told attendees of automotive technical conference in Toyko that Mazda will be working on improving the thermal efficiency of its engines. This reduces the "amount of combustion energy lost to heat while increasing the amount harnessed to power the wheels." If Mazda can improve the thermal efficiency by 27 percent, to 56 percent, Hitomi said it could achieve emissions similar to an EV.
      How does he come this conclusion? There is a bit of fuzzy math to reach this. It is based Mazda's measurement of wheel-to-wheel emission for electric vehicles and internal combustion engines. For electric vehicles, Mazda includes the carbon dioxide emitted in the production of electricity for the vehicle. The emissions from oil extraction and refining are included in the measurement for internal combustion engines. Mazda's calculations say that some EVs are dirtier than fuel efficient gas-powered models.
      Mazda also believes that it cut carbon dioxide emissions by 25 percent with the next-generation of Skyactiv, giving them "real world well-to-wheel fuel economy comparable to EVs deriving their electricity through the burning of liquefied natural gas," according to Hitomi.
      No timeframe was given as to when Skyactiv-3 would debut.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Last summer, Volvo made a stunning announcement as it plans to electrify its entire lineup. This plan includes 5 electric vehicles, two from Polestar and the rest from Volvo. We've already know about Polestar EVs plans (a midsize sedan and SUV), but we haven't heard anything concerning Volvo. 
      That changed this week as a report from Autocar says Volvo's first EV will be a compact hatchback that will draw inspiration from the 40.2 concept shown in 2016. This makes some sense as the 40.2 concept used Volvo's Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) that was built with electrification in mind.
      The 40.2 concept had an overall range of 217 miles. But when Henrik Green, Volvo’s head of R&D spoke to the publication about their general EV plans, he said they were aiming for a range of 310 miles.
       “That’s the area [of range] we’re aiming at. We’re in the middle of development and we are constantly chasing new steps. It’s quite different to developing a car compared to five or 10 years ago. You set a prerequisite three or four years before a car’s launch and you ran towards that target, and if you did that well, you came out with a competitive offer," said Green.
      Green also said the automaker will offer an entry-level battery, but hasn't decided on the range.
      Expect to see Volvo's first EV in 2019.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook