Chevrolet News:The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox Could Have Looked So Much Different

The pricing is all about ATP. 

They are adding features and pricing it a little higher but they still have a lot of room to move the price with a rebate if needed. To be honest for what you get it is a competitive price. They could do the Kia route and skimp on it and let them fall apart in 5-7 years. 

I just worked on a well kept Kia but the emblems were falling apart. the paint was fading, the wheels were messed up and even the pin stripe was faded out and it was plastic. It made my 08 Malibu look like it just came off the show room. 

This is how it will play out. 

Chevy will do well with this model as most will buy the LT that is still a good buy. Most will love it as it is as large inside as the last and get much better MPG due to losing so much weight. 

Those who want a little larger will move to the Acadia or the next size Chevy that is coming built on the Acadia. They have lowered the price of the Acadia enough to attract some Terrain buyers like my wife who want to move up. 

Honda is brand loyal so you are not going to change many minds there but over at Ford and Chrysler/Jeep many are not as happy with the many quality issues. CR just put out a new top ten regretted car bought and most were Ford and Fiat Chrysler products. These people are prime for the picking. 

Also the Honda is not all that cheap once you load it up. The reality is Chevy is really out of line here as nothing here worth having is cheap. 

Now if GM can screw these together and retain buyers they will make major gains with this just as they did with the last one. No one will go to number one with only one model and one year. This is a game of building blocks to make it. 

The reviews have all been very positive here and that will play well with the millennials as they take these reviews hook line and sinker.

Also when GM is done there will be a Cross Over that will meet or exceed any wish of most buyers. So if you don't see what  you like then you are just going to be that rare one left wanting.

I also would not discount the mid size trucks either here. I can say now that the crew short bed trucks are basically a CUV with a bed. My Canyon is more quiet and more roomy inside than my Terrain. It rides so very well with only a little ripple on a rough surface. I told my wife the Denali is my ATS with a bed. With the heated steering wheel and vented seats along with all the other options I am not left wanting much.

I am putting a BAK MX4 cover on the back that locks along with the tail gate that will provide me with large storage that is lockable.  

With Honda with their little truck, Fords coming Ranger and the Hyundai model coming this segment will eat into some sales of the CUV market as well as some trucks. 

Yes the Colorado and Canyon are not getting much if any incentives outside going to year old long beds that rot on the lot. Also yes the full size trucks are $10K off right now but there are so many people like me that just do not want the large truck. They are a pain to park and take up a lot of space in the garage. 
I did some careful shopping and was able to get $4K off sticker which is pretty good as most people are only getting $2500K, 

I would not be surprised if GM also does a smaller truck like the Honda at some point that is FWD bases. 

While Honda will draw many CUV buyers many truck buyers are still wanting the traditional RWD bases set up. Also they like riding higher up and they like the bed much deeper as with a cover the Honda holds little with it closed. 

In and while this is all going on the Cars will continue to struggle. 

I noted to night I don't know what to do with my feet. In my FWD cars you have the left foot on the wheel well and the right on the gas. In the Canyon I have as much space as  my 1970  Monte Carlo. I almost get tempted to step on the bright light button. LOL! 

As it is GM is going to be well stocked with CUV models and they will benefit greatly here. Profits will continue to climb per unit sold too. The cars will still be around but they will be like how the CUV was the car off to the side of the show room. 

People just like the room and versatility of the CUV or trucks and they will continue to be their choice as cars are just not as usable as they used to be. There was a time a sedan could double for a truck with large trunks and a roof strong enough to haul several sheets of ply wood. But today you can not get a box in the trunk opening and the roof would be dented  with one sheet of ply wood on it. 

Even tonight my bed cover came in and I had to go home to get the truck as drove the Malibu today. [Chance of Hail] Well the box on the cover would not slide in the opening of the trunk as it was too tall. It would fit inside the car if I could only get it in the opening. 

I looked over the new CRv pretty good at the auto show. It's not as amazing as the hype is made out to be. It is done well but there is still residual honda cheapness inside. It's just not the same huge serving of bleh from before. Nonetheless, it will continue to sell. They had to make the crv nicer finally because it became such a piece of crap  loud and cheap inside, etc   The new one is an upgrade but not the be all end all  

To me the Rogue is maybe not best in class but I think it's interior feels most spacious and it has the 3 row option.  Feels macho enough. Probably gives most value for the dollar. 

Chevy is ok selling new equinox for stupid high prices for 6 mo to a year while they sell off the old one at huge rebates. And while they figure out how to make the production line run and make it so you don't have first year bugs. Shouldn't have to but Gm is Gm. 

Side note new Acadias and envisions have huge discounts now. Probably can get more value on one of those right now instead of new equinox. 

5 hours ago, regfootball said:

It is done well but there is still residual honda cheapness inside.

I don't think it matters which brand, if you're looking at any of the mainstream brands they will all fall into this category at some point. They're not luxury vehicles and there will be plastic cheapness. It's just where they make the plastic that's acceptable to each buyer.

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

It is like they're building in a need for the perpetuation of rebates with this pricing scheme.  Sad.

The somewhat brawny new CR-V is proof you can have a CUV that appeals to both sexes, and the interior in the Honda is simply beautiful.

Over here though I am anxiously awaiting my new Compass.

Jeep us informed once you receive it.  That is another one I feel like was simply knocked out of the ballpark. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think it matters which brand, if you're looking at any of the mainstream brands they will all fall into this category at some point. They're not luxury vehicles and there will be plastic cheapness. It's just where they make the plastic that's acceptable to each buyer.

Exactly, GM has their fair share of cheapness and yuck in their inteiors as well.  the sad hing there, is that it DOES extend to Cadillac.  

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Stew said:

Exactly, GM has their fair share of cheapness and yuck in their inteiors as well.  the sad hing there, is that it DOES extend to Cadillac.  

Yep, completely agree. I know damn well my Escape had a lot of plastic, too much if I'm being honest. But I think the "fixed" it by not making it glossy. When it got dirty it looked really bad so I had to keep up on it. Basically the whole damn center stack was glossy plastic and felt really cheap if you touched it(which you never do where it was at but that's besides the point).

Just knowing all of these vehicles are so competitively priced they have to cheapen out somewhere. Let's just hope it is more subtle than others.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Yep, completely agree. I know damn well my Escape had a lot of plastic, too much if I'm being honest. But I think the "fixed" it by not making it glossy. When it got dirty it looked really bad so I had to keep up on it. Basically the whole damn center stack was glossy plastic and felt really cheap if you touched it(which you never do where it was at but that's besides the point).

Just knowing all of these vehicles are so competitively priced they have to cheapen out somewhere. Let's just hope it is more subtle than others.

Same with my Beetle.  Touch points (steering wheel, shifter, controls) feel great.  The dash top is hard plastic, but done in a sheen and texture that it still looks good.  Even the Camry has a few cheap pieces (namely that $h!ty silver plastic eveyone used the previous decade), but touch points feel fantastic. 

Friend had 2 different crv leases. Absolutely hated them. Noisy, bad ride, not advertised fe. The new one apparently cuts down interior noise allegedly. Good. When I test drove the previous gen one awhile back it was noisy, rode like crap, and was cheap inside. Honda badge was the only reason it sold I imagine