NYIAS Closeup: 2018 Lincoln Navigator: Comments

Another big reveal at the 2017 New York Auto Show this year… and we do mean BIG… is the 2018 Lincoln Navigator.  While it technically shares its platform with the new 2018 Ford Expedition that was released at the Chicago Auto Show, the Navigator somehow manages to look bigger.   Up front is a bold and impressive grille that moves the Navigator to the new family face shared by the Lincoln Continental and Lincoln MKZ.  Everything about the exterior is brash. It has giant turbine-look wheels, large fender vents, and full-width LED lights. This is not subtle luxury, yet it pulls off the look without being tacky. This is the new American version of “I’ve Made It”. Cadillac, you have some work cut out for you. 

The interior is nothing short of stunning. All the materials feel high quality. There may be an excess of buttons (I count 27 on the driver’s door alone), but it’s a Navigator… large.58efaf61ef8ce_2018LincolnNavigatorexcess is the whole point. There are available 30 way power seats, be prepared to take a couple hours to get them exactly right, but once you’re there, you won’t want to leave.  If you elect the rear bucket seats, rear seat passengers will have a comfortable ride and have some control over the entertainment system from their own center console. One flaw I found was that in models equipped with rear seat video entertainment, the second row can flip forward and hit the screens when laying the second-row flat…. Not something I expect to happen too often.

The new Navigator is powered by a 450 horsepower Ecoboost V6 passing power through a new 10 speed automatic to either the rear wheels or an available AWD system. 

Pricing on the 2018 Navigator hasn’t been released yet, however we expect an appropriate increase over the discount pricing on the 2017 model.

You can read the full press release information on our 2018 Lincoln Navigator press release page.

View full article

I am wondering just how much room is inside as the picture Drew took of the front from the mid row seats makes the leg room look tight.

Still do not like the floating nav screen.

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I am wondering just how much room is inside as the picture Drew took of the front from the mid row seats makes the leg room look tight.

Still do not like the floating nav screen.

The second row was pushed all the way forward as I found out when I sat in it right after I took that picture. Once adjusted properly, I had huge amounts of legroom in the second row. 

54 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Any mention of the weight of this? I know it shaved a lot of weight going aluminum, which is a good thing but I'm curious as to the actual weight savings and how it compares to the competition. 

Lincoln doesn't mention the 2018 Navigator's overall weight except that compared to the outgoing model except it weighs 200 lbs less. Here are the curb weights of the current model with us taking a possible guess.

2WD: 5,830 lbs (Current) \ 5,630 lbs (Est of 2018 model)
4WD: 6,069 lbs (Current) \ 5,869 lbs (Est of 2018 model)

Just now, William Maley said:

Lincoln doesn't mention the 2018 Navigator's overall weight except that compared to the outgoing model except it weighs 200 lbs less. Here are the curb weights of the current model with us taking a possible guess.

2WD: 5,830 lbs (Current) \ 5,630 lbs (Est of 2018 model)
4WD: 6,069 lbs (Current) \ 5,869 lbs (Est of 2018 model)

I am surprised that with all the work Ford has done on their auto's, especially the truck line with Aluminum that 200lbs is all they could pull out of the old Navigator as they built the new one.

Weird :glare:

Just now, dfelt said:

I am surprised that with all the work Ford has done on their auto's, especially the truck line with Aluminum that 200lbs is all they could pull out of the old Navigator as they built the new one.

Weird :glare:

It is most likely offset by being slightly larger plus having more "gadgets" than the previous gen. All of that adds up. 

I dislike the exterior as much as I dislike the current one.  The interior is nice, in my opinion.  I haven't really been a fan of Lincoln since the mid 90's...

Overall a decent looking SUV.. and that's because it looks like a modified K2XX on the outside. Its as if Lincoln decided to be the fourth K2XX . Interior looks good.. but with that amount of buttons.. how can anyone bitch about CUE's lack of ever again? Best thing in my opinion is the HP/Torque. 30/40 more than the Escalade and Denali. Gotta wonder if GM will answer next year. It really wouldn't be hard even if they simply offered a VSport Escalade with a S/C Ecotec.

Sales.. who knows? Escalade currently outsells MORE THAN 3X as many Navs. I dunno.. we were told that the Continental would destroy the much higher priced CT6... yet last month the CT6 actually outsold it, with its actual competition outselling it by 1 and 1/2