BMW News: BMW Still Believes In Diesel, Sends 540d to U.S.

William Maley

Despite the mess and tepid reception given to diesel models in the U.S. due to Volkswagen emission scandal, there are still some automakers who believe in it. 

A BMW spokesperson has confirmed to Car and Driver that diesel variant of the new 5-Series would be arriving in the U.S., although no timeframe was given. The model will be named the 540d. Car and Driver believe the model will be powered by the 3.0L inline-six turbodiesel found in the European-market 530d producing 262 horsepower and 457 pound-feet of torque. The 540d possibly means our version will produce slightly more power.

Source: Car and Driver

View full article

FAILURE, I doubt it will sell in enough quantity to offset the price of building it, shipping it and supporting it in the US.

Like SMK, I am surprised by this and they must be grasping at straws for CAFE.

They are a premium product with a high profit margin per unit, one needs to thin k of them a little differently.

Me myself I would take a Diesel Colorado or a nice Silveradio diesel over almost anything BMW builds at the moment....well, anything without an M badge anyways.

52 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They are a premium product with a high profit margin per unit, one needs to thin k of them a little differently.

Me myself I would take a Diesel Colorado or a nice Silveradio diesel over almost anything BMW builds at the moment....well, anything without an M badge anyways.

Best Friend had a M3, Twin Turbo V8 and it spent time in the shop waiting for parts as much as he got to drive it. He said the best day for him was the day he bought it, the day he traded it in on a Porsche. He says the M label is greatly overrated especially now that he understands why Porsche fans love their cars. He could never go back to the over rated and underperforming M label. Before this he had an AMG and said he would take the M label over the AMG and now Porsche over both of them.

Interesting is he did drive the most recent bad boy from Chevrolet, the corvette Z07 and said dollar for dollar that is a hell of a sports car. Better than most supercars from europe.

I built what I would want on a corvette and this is it, 

Z07 Black Rose painted Corvette.

CorvetteBuild2017Z07.jpg

2017-Z07Corvette.jpg

The Z07 is an astonishing car and in another life (parallel universe) one sits in my garage next to a vintage water cooled 911.  Garage is in a 50's style ranch in Palm springs...

The Martini House

Living in Ohio and in this universe, please send the Colorado, preferably 4WD.

...for me, a Z07 would have to be black....

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The Z07 is an astonishing car and in another life (parallel universe) one sits in my garage next to a vintage water cooled 911.  Garage is in a 50's style ranch in Palm springs...

The Martini House

Living in Ohio and in this universe, please send the Colorado, preferably 4WD.

...for me, a Z07 would have to be black....

I do love those mid century modern '50s houses....  I love Palm Springs, even though it is in the desert.   I would always stop and do lunch or dinner there when heading from Phoenix or LA or vice versa...  

My win the lottery dream home would be either an Eichler or Neutra MCM place in LA.    But in reality I'm happy in the Cleveland burbs w/ my 1967 split level and am thinking about a vacation beach cottage in Avon Lake, Bay Village, or Vermillion eventually...

• Agree 1