Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Alternate Universe Dream Garage

After my two recent experiences with car buying, I got to thinking: both myself and my wife could have ended up with very different cars because it was a tough back-and-forth decision. Maybe it could be fun talking about what we're driving in an alternate universe where the final choice went the other way!

What's your realistic alternate universe garage? You can go by real life buying experience or just conjecture based on your budget.

What are the pros and cons of this alternate universe? Is the grass greener on the other side?

(No, your alternate universe self can't be a millionaire celebrity. Realistic entries only!)

Edited by cp-the-nerd
  • Agree 1

In my alternate reality of working in the tech industry, it would be that none of the startups I worked for worked out in any way and I never had the bonuses to put down on the new rides I bought. As such, I still would have ended up in the same full size SUV's but probably 2-3 years old instead.

For me, while I love the cars, especially the performance side, my limitation will always be my size. 280lbs of muscle with 6'6" tall frame that requires an auto much bigger than most need.

So might be used, but still full size. 

Nothing like the Sales Manager here where I work that is only 5'1" tall and Drives a Hummer H2. Clearly little man issues. LOL

• Agree 1

Our cars would be an ATS coupe 2.0T/6MT and a Buick Encore.

The ATS coupe has grown on me exponentially since it came out. My fuel economy would undoubtedly be 10 mpg higher than the SS while being similarly fun to drive, with more nimble handling. I also like the statement the sheetmetal and LEDs make. It's recognizably cool without being pretentious.

On the downside, the ATS coupe (or sedan) is barely practical enough to handle my life as is and would almost certainly warrant trading in when I start a family. It's also not highway friendly for road trips (which I love taking), and I couldn't get mag-ride on my budget.

There's definitely appeal to the ATS's usable performance, character, and great fuel economy, but I don't think the grass is greener.

For my wife, I think as much as she'd love the quiet comfort of the Encore, she'd feel like she was driving someone else's car every day. The more she drives her Cruze hatchback, the more it fits her like a glove, the mpg loss of the Encore's taller shape would hurt as well. I certainly wouldn't mind the serenity of the Encore for road trips if I owned the ATS though...

2017_cadillac_ats-coupe_coupe_premium-pe

buick-encore-2017-6.jpg

Edited by cp-the-nerd
  • Agree 1

I needed four dour car since I have kids and while my wife has our family car I often have to drive them places.  If I would be buying my car 1-2 years later I would possibly go for used ATS 2.0T manual.    At the time there were not any used ones and a new one was much more then I wanted to spend at the time.

Another possibility at the time for me was WRX, but used ones keep ridiculously high price plus very likely abused and I didn't want to buy a new one considering how much I wanted to spend and how much I drive per year.

At the end when I saw prices on used G37S sedans and found couple a reasonable distance from me it was a no brainer. 

mch0971converted.jpg

1402523427744.jpg

• Agree 1

In my alternative universe i actually buy an SUV.

Would really like a Jeep Renegade or Compass actually, don't laugh too hard.

In my other alternative universe I am still autocrossing and can afford a new Miata, so a new 17 MX5.

In yet another alternative universe, I am done with cars and want an utterly practical vehicle for hauling tools, lumber, and small items. Enter a Subaru Forester.

In another alternative universe, the Sedan guy in me takes off and I ahve a TLX or a Buick LaCrosse in the garage.

In the real universe we live in, high probability of a GTI or BRZ joining the C and G fleet via my garage.

In my unrealistic universe, I am 20 years younger, able to drive really well, and am competing in a Formula ford in SCCA races.

Image result for formula ford

If the world were as I really want it to be, I would own a vintage pick up truck...

Image result for 1970 C10

In my dysfunctional alternative universe I am divorced, no one likes me, broke, unhappy, and driving a rusty Ford Tempo....life could be better, ti could be worse, I am happy with my life as it is. 

• Agree 1

In my alternate universe, my house would change for a double garage home rather than a single garage home and the garage would be deep. The overall square footage of my house would stay the same, just the garage would be a HUUUUUGE upgrade.

Why?

So I could have a summer car and store it in the garage in the winter! My budget for both of my cars would stay the same, 40 000-50 000 CDN, just split in two rather than one.

I currently own a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with the tech package. Although I love the car, I lust for others but I really cant own them because they are not really Quebec winter cars and my single garage home only allows me to enjoy an all year round  vehicle, hence the Acura...

2013_acura_tl_sedan_sh-awd_rq_oem_2_815.

So....in an alternate double garage universe

Id pick a up used 2015 Mustang convertible....ecoboost...

2015-Ford-Mustang-top-up.jpg

Or a used 2015....Challenger R/T...

2016-challenger-md-rt_plus-hero2.jpg

2015-Dodge-Challenger-RT-Plus-rear-end.j

And Id be driving a FWD 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6 liter or 2014 Ford Fusion 1.5 liter ecoboost as my DD and winter car...

2015-Ford-Fusion-SE-front-three-quarter.

My wife currently drives a 2013 1.6 ecoboost. If she wants to keep her car, that is fine by me, I love her car that is why I want a Fusion myself. If she would not stand the thought of having 2 Fusions in the driveway, then she is free to choose whatever other car she wants! 

For the sake of being different, she does NOT want to spend more than 30 000 dollars CDN on her car, but she did like the Buick Encore, so we go with that for this thread.

buick-encore-2017-rouge-groseille-winter

49 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

In my alternate universe, my house would change for a double garage home rather than a single garage home and the garage would be deep. The overall square footage of my house would stay the same, just the garage would be a HUUUUUGE upgrade.

Why?

So I could have a summer car and store it in the garage in the winter! My budget for both of my cars would stay the same, 40 000-50 000 CDN, just split in two rather than one.

I currently own a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with the tech package. Although I love the car, I lust for others but I really cant own them because they are not really Quebec winter cars and my single garage home only allows me to enjoy an all year round  vehicle, hence the Acura...

2013_acura_tl_sedan_sh-awd_rq_oem_2_815.

So....in an alternate double garage universe

Id pick a up used 2015 Mustang convertible....ecoboost...

2015-Ford-Mustang-top-up.jpg

Or a used 2015....Challenger R/T...

2016-challenger-md-rt_plus-hero2.jpg

2015-Dodge-Challenger-RT-Plus-rear-end.j

And Id be driving a FWD 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6 liter or 2014 Ford Fusion 1.5 liter ecoboost as my DD and winter car...

2015-Ford-Fusion-SE-front-three-quarter.

My wife currently drives a 2013 1.6 ecoboost. If she wants to keep her car, that is fine by me, I love her car that is why I want a Fusion myself. If she would not stand the thought of having 2 Fusions in the driveway, then she is free to choose whatever other car she wants! 

For the sake of being different, she does NOT want to spend more than 30 000 dollars CDN on her car, but she did like the Buick Encore, so we go with that for this thread.

buick-encore-2017-rouge-groseille-winter

The only thing I might change here is make the Mustang a fast back as visibility is better and road noise is less.  But yes, wonderful choices.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I dont understand the visibility is better on the fastback as opposed to the convertible.

The convertible Mustang, if I owned one, would be pretty much driven in the summer months only and when the sun is out...because I want to take in the sounds, scenery and sun of my surroundings.Therefore the top will ALWAYS be down.

I probably WONT be driving the convertible when it is raining, maybe on occasion, but all things that deal with top down driving is to be expected AND acccepted! Road noise included. But that is why one buys a convertible in the first place....

I understand, you would rather not deal with all that, but...to say that a convertible has LESS visibility than its fixed roof brethren is just...CRAZY!!!  :stupid:

Comparing visibility with the top up you say?

:duh:

But a convertible car's life is mostly lived with the top down!!!

Why else would you buy a convertible car then??? 

Therefore moot point and hence my confusion...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Since I've already had a couple Mustang coupes (notchback and hatchback), if I got another Mustang I'd want a convertible.  Convertibles are for summer fun (winter fun in AZ), so practical concerns go out the window..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Since I've already had a couple Mustang coupes (notchback and hatchback), if I got another Mustang I'd want a convertible.  Convertibles are for summer fun (winter fun in AZ), so practical concerns go out the window..

Exactly!

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

(winter fun in AZ)

I hate you and @surreal1272 and anybody else that lives in hot climates during North American winter season! Well, hate is a strong sentiment....we will go with envious!

But I really dont mind Quebec winters. I still OK with them. As I grow older, my sentiments will probably change. I KNOW my feelings towards winter and snow will eventually change as I will age into my 60s...

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Exactly!

I hate you and @surreal1272 and anybody else that lives in hot climates during North American winter season! Well, hate is a strong sentiment....we will go with envious!

But I really dont mind Quebec winters. I still OK with them. As I grow older, my sentiments will probably change. I KNOW my feelings towards winter and snow will eventually change as I will age into my 60s...

Heh-heh.. I'll be wintering here in Cleveland for the foreseeable future, since I'm (almost) done with Arizona.    Maybe in 20 years or so when I retire, I'll be wintering in the Florida Keys (where I spent my teenage years).  

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont understand the visibility is better on the fastback as opposed to the convertible.

The convertible Mustang, if I owned one, would be pretty much driven in the summer months only and when the sun is out...because I want to take in the sounds, scenery and sun of my surroundings.Therefore the top will ALWAYS be down.

I probably WONT be driving the convertible when it is raining, maybe on occasion, but all things that deal with top down driving is to be expected AND acccepted! Road noise included. But that is why one buys a convertible in the first place....

I understand, you would rather not deal with all that, but...to say that a convertible has LESS visibility than its fixed roof brethren is just...CRAZY!!!  :stupid:

Comparing visibility with the top up you say?

:duh:

But a convertible car's life is mostly lived with the top down!!!

Why else would you buy a convertible car then??? 

Therefore moot point and hence my confusion...

You clarified that just fine.  I just prefer the look of the hard top and the visibility.  However, if this is only going to be a top down summer cruiser, by all means get the convertible.  I love convertibles...

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Nothing wrong with that...

24 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Glad to see more activity in this thread! I like seeing the results of more constrained dream garages.

Ohhhh absolutely.