William Maley

BMW News: Rumorpile: BMW to Show an Electric 3-Series at Frankfurt

It is no secret that German automakers are busy developing vehicles to challenge the Tesla Model S and X. But there has been barely a peep about something to take on the Model 3. But that is changing according to a report from Germany’s Handelsblatt.

Sources at BMW tell the publication that the company will be showing off a 3-Series electric at the Frankfurt Motor Show later this year. The model is said to have a range of 248 miles (400 km) and will directly compete against the upcoming Model 3. BMW declined to comment on this report.

The report doesn't say if this new electric will be based on the current or next 3-Series. Our hunch is that it will be the next-generation as it will be making its debut sometime next year. The model that could be shown at Frankfurt could be a concept to give us some idea of what BMW has planned.

Nevertheless, we will be keeping a close watch on this story.

Source: Handelsblatt (Subscription Required)

View full article

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Sweet.;..about damn time!

Yes might be interesting is the new 3 series is truly an ICE / EV platform. Yet with that, I do still wonder about using that kind of platform for EV's as there are plenty of limitations on an EV. I have to think they would lose considerable trunk space or internal space using an ICE platform.

I get the cost associated with a pure EV platform like BMW did with the i Series as carbon fiber is not cheap. Yet, battery packaging has not changed that much that you could get a 400km pack into an ICE platform without giving up something. To me that would have to be trunk space, interior space and harder back seats.

I am excited but also wondering what this will be as I think the challenges are going to be great for BMW.

Maybe kill off 1/3 of their low volume auto's and put that R&D into a true EV product line.

Would be better to have a platform designed from the ground up for EVs, such as their competitor from Stuttgart is doing.  

You wonder why they don't just take the i3 chassis and make a sedan out of it and call that the 3-series EV.  I would they could make it look like a regular 3-series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

I would they could make it look like a regular 3-series.

They can, but the OEMs seem to be helplessly locked into making EVs strange, ungainly pods, screaming they run on volts. I don't know if it's an effort to 'protect' the IC cars because OEMs survive on conservative business models and EV sales are a trickle. EVs don't cut different external proportions at the hard points, for the most part. Fiskar/Tesla for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Would be better to have a platform designed from the ground up for EVs, such as their competitor from Stuttgart is doing.  

You wonder why they don't just take the i3 chassis and make a sedan out of it and call that the 3-series EV.  I would they could make it look like a regular 3-series.

I saw another story with BMW engineering interview that the design of the i3 did not lend itself to be lengthened or changed outside of the current style. In other words, they designed a great car with limited flexibility from an expansion of models standpoint. I suspect BMW thought the EV market would not change the way that it did and they would still have a niche high priced product for years to come. Sadly that has changed overnight. Bolt bit them hard.

They need a scalable EV architecture that can be used for sedan, coupe, crossover, etc. It is almost easier because you can put all the batteries in the floor pan and a couple electric motors.  The packaging is better, so multiple body styles should be easy.

50 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

They need a scalable EV architecture that can be used for sedan, coupe, crossover, etc. It is almost easier because you can put all the batteries in the floor pan and a couple electric motors.  The packaging is better, so multiple body styles should be easy.

Agree, I just do not understand the lack of BMW's understanding about the benefits of a pure EV platform. This smells of cost cutting and cheapness.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Agree, I just do not understand the lack of BMW's understanding about the benefits of a pure EV platform. This smells of cost cutting and cheapness.

It is not like they lack for ATP...but that is OK...more Sales for Tesla and company...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The Cadillac XT4 is an important model for the brand as it will give them a competitor in the lucrative compact luxury crossover class. It might also give one of GM's assembly plants some much needed good news.
      Bloomberg has learned from sources that General Motors has started producing test versions of the Cadillac XT4 at their Fairfax Assembly plant in Kansas City. This possibly hints that production of the XT4 could take place here. A GM spokesman declined to comment when asked about this.
      The Fairfax plant has been hit hard by the decline in sales for midsize sedans. Home to the Chevrolet Malibu, the plant has seen the third shift cut last year as Malibu sales dropped 18 percent. 
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Cadillac XT4 is an important model for the brand as it will give them a competitor in the lucrative compact luxury crossover class. It might also give one of GM's assembly plants some much needed good news.
      Bloomberg has learned from sources that General Motors has started producing test versions of the Cadillac XT4 at their Fairfax Assembly plant in Kansas City. This possibly hints that production of the XT4 could take place here. A GM spokesman declined to comment when asked about this.
      The Fairfax plant has been hit hard by the decline in sales for midsize sedans. Home to the Chevrolet Malibu, the plant has seen the third shift cut last year as Malibu sales dropped 18 percent. 
    • By William Maley
      You find yourself in the showroom, ready to drive away in a new Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf, or Tesla Model S. But there is one big question that needs to be decided, do you buy or lease it? According to a report from Bloomberg, most buyers of EVs tend to lease.
      In the U.S., almost 80 percent of electric vehicles on the road are leased according to their report. It also says that 55 percent of plug-in hybrids are leased. More than 80 percent of BMW i3s are leased as an example. The key reason comes down to the belief that electric vehicles will continue to improve and buyers can simply trade them - similar to purchasing a new smartphone.
      "When there’s new technology coming out, and it’s coming out so rapidly, and you’re improving on it so constantly, typically people only want to lease it,” said Steve Center, a vice president of American Honda Motor Co., back in April.
      This bet seems to be paying off as the range of electric vehicles has been increasing, while prices of batteries have been going downward.
      “If you look at what can happen across the lifetime of a lease, you’re really talking about doubling the range of these vehicles,” said Edmunds analyst Jeremy Acevedo.
      The imbalance between leasing/buying an electric vehicle has also made used EVs to become a steal. According to auto analytics firm Black Book, compact electric vehicles sold in 2014 only hold 23 percent of their original sale price. A comparable internal combustion vehicle holds about 41 percent. Doing a quick search on Cars.com, we were able to find low mileage 2015 Nissan Leafs ranging $14,000 to $16,000.
      The big question is will this trend continue down the road, considering the likes the Model 3 and models coming from German automakers.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      You find yourself in the showroom, ready to drive away in a new Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf, or Tesla Model S. But there is one big question that needs to be decided, do you buy or lease it? According to a report from Bloomberg, most buyers of EVs tend to lease.
      In the U.S., almost 80 percent of electric vehicles on the road are leased according to their report. It also says that 55 percent of plug-in hybrids are leased. More than 80 percent of BMW i3s are leased as an example. The key reason comes down to the belief that electric vehicles will continue to improve and buyers can simply trade them - similar to purchasing a new smartphone.
      "When there’s new technology coming out, and it’s coming out so rapidly, and you’re improving on it so constantly, typically people only want to lease it,” said Steve Center, a vice president of American Honda Motor Co., back in April.
      This bet seems to be paying off as the range of electric vehicles has been increasing, while prices of batteries have been going downward.
      “If you look at what can happen across the lifetime of a lease, you’re really talking about doubling the range of these vehicles,” said Edmunds analyst Jeremy Acevedo.
      The imbalance between leasing/buying an electric vehicle has also made used EVs to become a steal. According to auto analytics firm Black Book, compact electric vehicles sold in 2014 only hold 23 percent of their original sale price. A comparable internal combustion vehicle holds about 41 percent. Doing a quick search on Cars.com, we were able to find low mileage 2015 Nissan Leafs ranging $14,000 to $16,000.
      The big question is will this trend continue down the road, considering the likes the Model 3 and models coming from German automakers.
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Automotive News says that Ford is planning to end North American production of the Fusion sedan at the end of this decade. According to sources, the automaker has begun to notify suppliers that it will not produce the next-generation Fusion at their Hermosillo, Mexico plant. Suppliers have also been told that Ford will stop producing the Mondeo (Fusion in other markets) at their Valencia, Spain plant.
      This is further complicated by a report from Reuters saying the company is consolidating production to a plant in China. Ford has since denied this report.
      “We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe. Fusion/Mondeo are an important part of the Ford car lineup. We will have more information to share about the next Fusion/Mondeo at a later date,” the company said in a statement.
      A spokesman declined to comment when asked if Ford would stop selling Fusion in the U.S., replace it with another vehicle, or build it elsewhere.
      Previously, Ford executives have said that the shift from cars to crossovers/SUVs will be permanent. Back in October, the company announced that it would be cutting back on the number of car nameplate it offers, but wouldn't go into details. Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi and plans on ending the C-Max Hybrid sometime next year. The Fiesta and Taurus are reportedly on the chopping block as well.
      What does the future hold for the Fusion? At the moment, it is tough to say.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook