William Maley

BMW News: Rumorpile: BMW to Show an Electric 3-Series at Frankfurt

It is no secret that German automakers are busy developing vehicles to challenge the Tesla Model S and X. But there has been barely a peep about something to take on the Model 3. But that is changing according to a report from Germany’s Handelsblatt.

Sources at BMW tell the publication that the company will be showing off a 3-Series electric at the Frankfurt Motor Show later this year. The model is said to have a range of 248 miles (400 km) and will directly compete against the upcoming Model 3. BMW declined to comment on this report.

The report doesn't say if this new electric will be based on the current or next 3-Series. Our hunch is that it will be the next-generation as it will be making its debut sometime next year. The model that could be shown at Frankfurt could be a concept to give us some idea of what BMW has planned.

Nevertheless, we will be keeping a close watch on this story.

Source: Handelsblatt (Subscription Required)

View full article

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Sweet.;..about damn time!

Yes might be interesting is the new 3 series is truly an ICE / EV platform. Yet with that, I do still wonder about using that kind of platform for EV's as there are plenty of limitations on an EV. I have to think they would lose considerable trunk space or internal space using an ICE platform.

I get the cost associated with a pure EV platform like BMW did with the i Series as carbon fiber is not cheap. Yet, battery packaging has not changed that much that you could get a 400km pack into an ICE platform without giving up something. To me that would have to be trunk space, interior space and harder back seats.

I am excited but also wondering what this will be as I think the challenges are going to be great for BMW.

Maybe kill off 1/3 of their low volume auto's and put that R&D into a true EV product line.

Would be better to have a platform designed from the ground up for EVs, such as their competitor from Stuttgart is doing.  

You wonder why they don't just take the i3 chassis and make a sedan out of it and call that the 3-series EV.  I would they could make it look like a regular 3-series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

I would they could make it look like a regular 3-series.

They can, but the OEMs seem to be helplessly locked into making EVs strange, ungainly pods, screaming they run on volts. I don't know if it's an effort to 'protect' the IC cars because OEMs survive on conservative business models and EV sales are a trickle. EVs don't cut different external proportions at the hard points, for the most part. Fiskar/Tesla for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Would be better to have a platform designed from the ground up for EVs, such as their competitor from Stuttgart is doing.  

You wonder why they don't just take the i3 chassis and make a sedan out of it and call that the 3-series EV.  I would they could make it look like a regular 3-series.

I saw another story with BMW engineering interview that the design of the i3 did not lend itself to be lengthened or changed outside of the current style. In other words, they designed a great car with limited flexibility from an expansion of models standpoint. I suspect BMW thought the EV market would not change the way that it did and they would still have a niche high priced product for years to come. Sadly that has changed overnight. Bolt bit them hard.

They need a scalable EV architecture that can be used for sedan, coupe, crossover, etc. It is almost easier because you can put all the batteries in the floor pan and a couple electric motors.  The packaging is better, so multiple body styles should be easy.

50 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

They need a scalable EV architecture that can be used for sedan, coupe, crossover, etc. It is almost easier because you can put all the batteries in the floor pan and a couple electric motors.  The packaging is better, so multiple body styles should be easy.

Agree, I just do not understand the lack of BMW's understanding about the benefits of a pure EV platform. This smells of cost cutting and cheapness.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Agree, I just do not understand the lack of BMW's understanding about the benefits of a pure EV platform. This smells of cost cutting and cheapness.

It is not like they lack for ATP...but that is OK...more Sales for Tesla and company...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Earlier this week, we reported that Chevrolet wouldn't be showing anything at next month's Detroit Auto Show, deflating the dreams of many that the mid-engine Corvette would finally be revealed. We found ourselves wondering if something happened that caused Chevrolet to rethink their plans.
      GM Authority has learned from sources that a problem with the next-generation Corvette's electrical system has been found. The current system isn't able to carry the load necessary to support the necessary components in the vehicle. This will result in engineers making various changes to the system and suppliers to come up with new parts. This has reportedly pushed back the launch by six months.
      GM Authority does report that this delay shouldn't prevent Chevrolet from launching the mid-engine Corvette as a 2020 model-year vehicle.
      Source: GM Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Earlier this week, we reported that Chevrolet wouldn't be showing anything at next month's Detroit Auto Show, deflating the dreams of many that the mid-engine Corvette would finally be revealed. We found ourselves wondering if something happened that caused Chevrolet to rethink their plans.
      GM Authority has learned from sources that a problem with the next-generation Corvette's electrical system has been found. The current system isn't able to carry the load necessary to support the necessary components in the vehicle. This will result in engineers making various changes to the system and suppliers to come up with new parts. This has reportedly pushed back the launch by six months.
      GM Authority does report that this delay shouldn't prevent Chevrolet from launching the mid-engine Corvette as a 2020 model-year vehicle.
      Source: GM Authority
    • By William Maley
      Nissan has expanded its probe into former chairman Carlos Ghosn with the investigation into various European subsidiaries that may bring more criminal charges.
      Automotive News has learned from sources that the focus of the investigation will be around the Renault-Nissan BV based in the Netherlands. This was set up by the two automakers back in 2002 to be a strategic management company that oversees the alliance. But one source says that Nissan is planning to look into "as many as a dozen other Nissan-affiliated subsidiaries set up in the Netherlands," for possible financial misconduct. Japanese prosecutors are looking into some of the companies with the help of Nissan.
      (Emphasis mine.)
      This move may signal that the scandal may have reached outward of Japan and bring investigations right to Renault's doorstep. Automotive News also notes this could "further complicate" the delicate relations between the two.
      That neatly transitions us to a report from Reuters where a source reveals that Renault has told Nissan not to contact its directors ahead of a December 13th meeting of their board. The source says "such contact was outside the agreed channels for communication of the sensitive findings."
      As we reported back on Friday, Nissan offered Renault "a presentation that summarized the evidence" to help assuage some suspicious held by the French automaker. Renault declined, asking Nissan for the "presence of lawyers and the full report on the allegations." This reportedly came earlier this week as officials from Nissan met with Renault's legal team in France.
      The meeting tomorrow will see the members of the board discuss the findings of Nissan's investigation and debate the future of Carlos Ghosn.
      Spokespeople for Nissan and Renault declined to comment.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Nissan has expanded its probe into former chairman Carlos Ghosn with the investigation into various European subsidiaries that may bring more criminal charges.
      Automotive News has learned from sources that the focus of the investigation will be around the Renault-Nissan BV based in the Netherlands. This was set up by the two automakers back in 2002 to be a strategic management company that oversees the alliance. But one source says that Nissan is planning to look into "as many as a dozen other Nissan-affiliated subsidiaries set up in the Netherlands," for possible financial misconduct. Japanese prosecutors are looking into some of the companies with the help of Nissan.
      (Emphasis mine.)
      This move may signal that the scandal may have reached outward of Japan and bring investigations right to Renault's doorstep. Automotive News also notes this could "further complicate" the delicate relations between the two.
      That neatly transitions us to a report from Reuters where a source reveals that Renault has told Nissan not to contact its directors ahead of a December 13th meeting of their board. The source says "such contact was outside the agreed channels for communication of the sensitive findings."
      As we reported back on Friday, Nissan offered Renault "a presentation that summarized the evidence" to help assuage some suspicious held by the French automaker. Renault declined, asking Nissan for the "presence of lawyers and the full report on the allegations." This reportedly came earlier this week as officials from Nissan met with Renault's legal team in France.
      The meeting tomorrow will see the members of the board discuss the findings of Nissan's investigation and debate the future of Carlos Ghosn.
      Spokespeople for Nissan and Renault declined to comment.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
    • By William Maley
      The Chinese government is considering a proposal to reduce tariffs on U.S.-Built vehicles from the current 40 percent back down to the 15 percent before the trade war broke out between it and the U.S. Sources tell Bloomberg a proposal has been submitted to the cabinet to be reviewed in the coming days.
      This proposal stems from a trade summit in Buenos Aires where U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed to a 90-day truce on the trade war earlier this month. After the meeting, Trump tweeted out that "China agreed to “reduce and remove” tariffs on imported American-made cars, something China did not confirm at the time." Shares of various automakers including Diamler, Ford, and Tesla rose on the news.
      The trade war between the U.S. and China has taken a toll on automakers. Both BMW and Dimaler have warned of lower profits as tariffs have forced them to raise prices in China. Others such as Volvo and Ford have made changes to production and vehicle plans. 
      China's Finance Ministry didn't respond to Bloomberg's request for a comment.
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
  • My Clubs