This Explains a Lot about People and Luxury THEN.. and Now. 1977 Caddy Eldo

Yea, this was posted here earlier this year too I believe and agree, he is a Dick just to get attention. An Idiot of modern times that should not be doing reviews since he clearly does not get auto's of that time.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I like Doug Demuro videos actually.

And a 70s S-class convertible was better than the Eldorado.

Disagree, I would take the Eldorado over the Benze. This MB is not better for the time than the Cadillac.

103884.jpg

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Disagree, I would take the Eldorado over the Benze. This MB is not better for the time than the Cadillac.

103884.jpg

That was an early 60s design, quite dated by the early 70s.   I'd rather have a late 70s 450SL or 450SLC. 

1980-450slc-coupe-truly-outstanding-virtually-flawless-example-walnut-brown-2.JPG

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

That was an early 60s design, quite dated by the early 70s.   I'd rather have a late 70s 450SL or 450SLC. 

1980-450slc-coupe-truly-outstanding-virtually-flawless-example-walnut-brown-2.JPG

Based on SMK comments, I just did a search for a 70's era s-class convertible and this 1970 came up as a close match to the eldorado convertible above.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Based on SMK comments, I just did a search for a 70's era s-class convertible and this 1970 came up as a close match to the eldorado convertible above.

True for 1971, but the Eldorado in the thread is a '77 coupe.    The last S-class convertible was '70 or '71, then it returned a couple years ago. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Mercedes' hallmark was being 10 years behind contemporary vehicles for most of it's history, stylistically. Until the '90s at least.

The interiors of mercedes were cheap junk since WWII up thu the '80s; hard plastic, plood, cheap design, that universal black rubber steering wheel that came from MB trucks, lack of amenities. Cadillac is who Mercedes benchmarked when they decided to make a hard push in the U.S.

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 10.01.46 AM.png

• Agree 1

A 1971 280SE convertible in good condition can sell for over $300,000 now, I doubt any Eldorado are bringing that kind of money.  

Funny to compare the two interiors because the same kind of wood Mercedes used in the 70s and 80s in cars like these

105826d1348713895-picture-my-83-380-sl-n

a8d28f667e9ffd4635f232ead76023db--love-t

Is exactly the same gain and finish of wood that Cadillac used in the 90s in these:

5543020_orig.jpg

1998-2004-Cadillac-Seville-9812223199061

On 9/9/2017 at 1:01 PM, smk4565 said:

A 1971 280SE convertible in good condition can sell for over $300,000 now, I doubt any Eldorado are bringing that kind of money.  

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAdEAAAAJDkzY2VkZTFmLWNlYTYt

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2013/06/1971-Hemi--Cuda-Convertible/3726721.html

Your fetching at auctions price tags for classic cars has got me kvetching

curb-your-enthusiasm-meme-12.jpg?1384968

The above link has a PLYMOUTH priced at sky high prices...and it kinda gives reasons why the fluctuations of price and why it sold high but not as high as some predicted (or hoped it would sell at)...

You like to invent reasons to push the Mercedes agenda...its stupid!

From wikipedia regarding your era and model Mercedes Benz...not that wikipedia is a valid source...but I Iike it because it contradicts your reality...and quite frankly, wikipedia's point of view is just as valid as yours for all intents and purposes...

An opinion is an opinion is an opinion...but the thing is...at least wikipedia has some sort of REAL facts to go by and not imaginary-fairy tale realities...

And although the link states why the 6.9 was expensive with various technologies and stuff and speed...it also indicates it was not so luxurious...it kinda puts a dent into your thoughts of Mercedes Benzes of that era as being posh...

A high price tag dont mean its LUXURIOUS BTW...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W116

Price and interior features

220px-450SEL6.9_dash.jpg

Interior

All of this technology came at a very high price. At a time when the most expensive Cadillacs, the mid-sized Seville and full-sized Cadillac Fleetwood Series Seventy-Five limousine each listed for about US$16,000, the 6.9 listed for around $40,000, more than the Big Three but less than most Rolls-Royces. When the car was officially introduced into the North American market for the 1977 model year, the price was well past $40,000 and was $52,995 by the end of production. Though the 6.9 was undeniably a luxury car, the decor was rather austere compared to the sheer opulence available in a Rolls-Royce or full-sized Cadillac. The interior was identical to that in the less expensive models except for the push-pull suspension control knob just under the speedometer, a low suspension pressure warning and height adjustment indicator lights in the instrument cluster, and wood trim finished in burled walnut veneer on the dash and console. The rest of the W116 lineup was trimmed in striated zebrano veneer.

The 6.9 lacked expected luxury touches such as power-adjustable outside mirrors or front seats, although a unique power rear seat, heated seats and even orthopedically designed front seats were options. Buyers outside North America could also opt for headlight wipers and washers and/or headlights with a special vacuum-operated linkage whose aim could be adjusted at the dash depending on vehicle load. There was also a new standard feature in 1976: most Mercedes-Benz automobiles that year were equipped with a sophisticated electronic climate control system developed for Chrysler Corporation for use in their top models. The system turned on the heater, air conditioner or both, depending on the thermostat's setting and ambient temperature, automatically maintaining whatever temperature the driver selected. The compressor was an American import as well, supplied by the Harrison division of General Motors.

Far more modern than the contemporary Cadillac, which still had a live rear axle, and both faster and larger inside than the either the Rolls-Royce or Cadillac, the 6.9 was indistinguishable from its W116 stablemates save for a modest "6.9" badge on the decklid and wider tires.[13] US models also had different bumper rubbers fitted to the more protruding "park bench" impact absorbing bumpers. As discreet as the badge was, it could be deleted/ordered with option 261 omission of the displacement figure on the trunk lid at extra cost for those who wanted to avoid attention either from drivers of other high-performance cars or from law enforcement. In the words of David E. Davis, the 6.9 was "a $50,000 exercise in going fast."

Still, for fans of the discontinued 6.3 or for those who simply had to have a car which Car and Driver proclaimed to be "the greatest Mercedes-Benz ever built," it seemed that money was no object. At its launch in 1975, the 450 SEL 6.9 cost DM 69,930. In the last year of production, 1979, the car was available at a price of DM 81,247. Even though this was far from inexpensive, the courage of the Mercedes-Benz strategists in launching the car onto the market paid off. A total of 7,380 units were built by 1980, and most of these were exported to the USA. This volume is quite respectable considering the overall sales trend of powerful luxury cars following the 1973 energy crisis.

So much for you praising Mercedes Benzes wood interiors...

VENEER!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

Funny that Cadillac was the #1 luxury brand in the USA, and Mercedes supposedly didn't make luxury cars in the 70s or 80s, but still surpassed them as the #1 luxury brand in the USA.  Believe what you want, Mercedes was always a luxury brand, and they are going to stay at the top for a long time to come.