December 2017: Kia Motors America

KIA MOTORS AMERICA ANNOUNCES DECEMBER SALES

• Forte, Optima and Soul Models Pass the 100,000 Unit Mark for the Second Consecutive Year

IRVINE, Calif., January 3, 2018 – Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced December sales of 43,039 vehicles. Kia’s 2017 sales total of 589,668 units featured several standout performances, including:

• The expansion of Kia’s EcoDynamics footprint with 27,237 Niro hybrid vehicles sold in less than 12 full months in showrooms, making Niro the third best-selling hybrid vehicle in the U.S.1
  • Best-ever annual sales for the Forte family of compact cars
  • A 52.9-percent increase in sales of the Cadenza premium sedan to the highest annual total since arriving in the U.S. in 2013
  • Three nameplates – Soul, Forte and Optima – surpassing the 100,000-unit mark for the second straight year

“2017 was an important year in the ongoing maturation of the Kia brand as we ranked number one in the entire industry in J.D. Power’s Initial Quality Study for the second consecutive year and saw two nameplates reach new sales heights,” said Justin Sohn, president and CEO, KMA. “With the highly anticipated Stinger now arriving in showrooms and a host of new and refreshed products scheduled to debut this year, including the all-new Niro PHEV, Kia will continue to strengthen its position as today’s world-class automaker.”

MONTH OF DECEMBER

YEAR-TO-DATE

Model

Rio

Forte

Optima

Cadenza

K900

Niro

N/A

N/A

Sportage

Sorento

Sedona

Soul

Stinger

N/A

N/A

Total

# # #

As much as I love to make KIA a whipping boy in terms of product I have to give them some credit.

I will even say that the Soul has some spunk, and I can almost find it tolerable.

The Forte LX I just helped my mom get into, when parked next to (and I am not happy to say this) a Chevrolet Cruze LS, is a nicer, more decent car for the money.  And the dash feels nice with the scallop design.

I am surprised / not surprised at the Niro's performance.   I'm surprised it took off so quickly for an unknown name with little marketing, but I'm not surprised because it is a really good product for the price and target market. 

And as far as hitting the core segment out there... it's a largish compact with a "crossover" shape and it's a hybrid.  With a starting price of $23k, it's no wonder it's turning into a knock-out hit. 

2 minutes ago, frogger said:

I think the Niro was a good enough idea that now Toyota will be copying it with the next Prius-V

In another life I would pick up a two year old K900 that has depreciated a tonne...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=472311854

I keep my eyes on those K900s also. For the price you can pick them up at, they are a comfort cruiser lover's dream.

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I keep my eyes on those K900s also. For the price you can pick them up at, they are a comfort cruiser lover's dream.

SO is pretty adamant about next vehicles being AWD, cemented by our Christmas Eve drive home passing many ditched vehicles.. so I am resigned to this not happening for me.  Genesis AWD v8 not as interesting to me.

8 minutes ago, frogger said:

SO is pretty adamant about next vehicles being AWD, cemented by our Christmas Eve drive home passing many ditched vehicles.. so I am resigned to this not happening for me.  Genesis AWD v8 not as interesting to me.

Aside from cost, the old Hyundai Genesis isn't the equivalent, the Equus was.  Today that would be a G90.  So in a few years you might be able to snag one of those. 

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I am surprised / not surprised at the Niro's performance.   I'm surprised it took off so quickly for an unknown name with little marketing, but I'm not surprised because it is a really good product for the price and target market. 

And as far as hitting the core segment out there... it's a largish compact with a "crossover" shape and it's a hybrid.  With a starting price of $23k, it's no wonder it's turning into a knock-out hit. 

27,237 sold so far this year and it's a "knock-out hit"?  LOL

9 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

27,237 sold so far this year and it's a "knock-out hit"?  LOL

It went from 0 to 27,237 in about 6 months with virtually no marketing. It was introduced at the Chicago auto show in February last year and went on sale in September this year. It's already the number 3 hybrid in sales. To catch up to to number 3 in that short a time is indeed a knock out.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not at all. Just more are being offered as plug-in by default.

Could the Plug-in Hybrids be a move to capture state and federal discounts I wonder? :scratchchin:

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings