February Car Spotter

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Local dealer got their first Ecosports in, both SES models, one white, one gray.  They are absolutely hilarious and cool as heck!

WOW, What a Joke Ford is pulling on the public, SES sits atop Titanium and yet you get less for a higher price. Amazing, :nono:

• Thanks 1

This afternoon, I saw a white mid-70s Ford Granada sedan.  It was in good condition, or maybe very good condition because it's a 40 year old car, but not excellent condition.  It had hubcaps.  It was going the other way on a divided road.  With what where probably 14" wheels, it looked like a dog that some jerk had kicked in the rump and was running away from you as I got a look at its boxy and squatted rear affect from my driver's side mirror.

And then I thought about the Mercury Monarch and the Lincoln Versailles ... essentially a pimped up Granada that FoMoCo quickly cooked up to compete with the successful Seville.

And, I am almost certain that these cars started out with L6s ... 250 c.i., 200 c.i. ?  Don't know.

• Agree 1

On 2/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, dfelt said:

WOW, What a Joke Ford is pulling on the public, SES sits atop Titanium and yet you get less for a higher price. Amazing, :nono:

?  You seem confused.  The SES comes standard with 4WD at a starting price of $26,740.  The Titanium comes standard with FWD.  A Titanium 4WD starts at $27,240.

Yesterday I saw a yellow 79-80 Chrysler New Yorker.  I'm sure it's the same car I saw last fall, was very clean then.  Now it was out in the winter muck and missing a rear corner cap with a dent in the deck lid.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

?  You seem confused.  The SES comes standard with 4WD at a starting price of $26,740.  The Titanium comes standard with FWD.  A Titanium 4WD starts at $27,240.

The Titanium also comes with the 1.0T standard with the 2.0 optional.

Add the 2.0 and it comes with AWD as well and it's $1500 more and boom, more expensive again. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Thanks for pointing that out cause that did not show when I looked at the web site, but I still find it a joke that you have to pay for monochromatic painted parts compared to the chrome default they has on ses.

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The Titanium also comes with the 1.0T standard with the 2.0 optional.

Add the 2.0 and it comes with AWD as well and it's $1500 more and boom, more expensive again. 

Yeah the 1.0L is only on the FWD Ecosports.  The 2.0 comes on all 4WD models.

On 2/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, dfelt said:

Lipstick on a pig, actually.

On 2/9/2018 at 6:50 PM, ocnblu said:

Yeah the 1.0L is only on the FWD Ecosports.  The 2.0 comes on all 4WD models.

4WD would seriously be the way to get that puppy.  And with Ford 4WD engineering...it might convince even a curmudgeon like me.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

'67 Dart 2-dr hardtop, excellent body, 17" Torque Thrusts, duals, 340 hood, Hurst badge, icy green, rollin' & grumblin'.

I will see your sixty seven and raise it to sixty eight...immaculate root beer colored 68 442 Olds cutty hard top...I fell hard for it....!

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

'67 Dart 2-dr hardtop, excellent body, 17" Torque Thrusts, duals, 340 hood, Hurst badge, icy green, rollin' & grumblin'.

There is a nice '67 Dart 2dr ht around here I've seen a few times (probably put away for winter now)...orange with black hood w/ Hemi style scoop, Centerlines, nice and rumbly...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

There is a nice '67 Dart 2dr ht around here I've seen a few times (probably put away for winter now)...orange with black hood w/ Hemi style scoop, Centerlines, nice and rumbly...

I'm thinking push button automatic transmission ... on the dash, to the right of the main IP.

I don't think those had any safety features or fail safes that would prevent some kid in the front seat from pushing the N, or worse yet the R, when the driver had D selected!

That was an early 60s thing w Chrysler.  Gone by 64 or so.  I wonder it they had some sort of lockout to keep R or P from being pushed when in motion. 

There is a new vehicle that has a push button transmission--can't recall what model.  Maybe a CUV.  (Not the Ram dial) 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

O.k., I'm almost certain I knew of this trans. on someone's prized '64 Plymouth Barracuda that he was very attached to.  These family friends had moved to California from the tri-state area (N.Y.C.).

My mind drifted over to the then new and revolutionary Buick Riviera and how nicely the dash, console, and area between the rear seats was configured. 

People seem to respond to good design.  They may not know how to articulate the specifics of what they like, but they know when something's a good thing.  There are exceptions to this now and then.

• Yes- pretty positive there was a provision that prevented an 'at-speed' going into R or P on the original MoPar push-buttons. Merc and Edsel also flirted with push-button trans, tho GM did not then.

Ironically, it was the Feds that squashed the push-button, one of ChryCo's signature features, but years later 'no problem'.

• The modern car with a push-button trans is Lincoln.

6 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The modern one I was thinking of is the new GMC Terrain. 

Well those are rocker switches, Lincoln is going whole hog on pushbuttons though.

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I'm thinking push button automatic transmission ... on the dash, to the right of the main IP.

I don't think those had any safety features or fail safes that would prevent some kid in the front seat from pushing the N, or worse yet the R, when the driver had D selected!

IIRC the controls were to the left of the column, out of little Johnnie's reach.

Rocker switch, push button. Not much difference.  Hadn't read about Lincoln doing it, which model? 

Imagine if some company decided to not have physical controls for the transmission and do it all through the touch screen..I could imagine issues with that.. 

I kind of like that...looks like the MKX, Continental and new Navi also have them.    My folks had a '58 Monterey (but 12 years before I was born).     I like the Nav interior in blue...it has the transmission controls laid out horizontally.

36-2018-Lincoln-Navigator-Interior-KBB.jpg

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

36-2018-Lincoln-Navigator-Interior-KBB.jpg

That console is insane ... insanely wide.  I'm wondering if we're coming back to black, tan, gray, blue, and maroon interior choices.  One thing that was time stamped was the offering of pale, apple green interiors, usually in cloth.  I remember this with GM.  If the car was a dark metallic forest green, then the pale green vinyl top and pale green interior worked.  It wouldn't have been my top choice, but it wasn't bad.

As for new ways to operate automatic transmissions, I'd have to say I prefer the rotating dial on the console to buttons, switches, or toggles on the actual dash.  The rotating dial is super easy to use but it can be overzealous and easy to pass up your destination ... say you're aiming for R and you find yourself in N.

In general, I cannot believe how many Aleros I see ... and in good condition.  With their ceasing production in '04, this means they are all between 14 and 18 years old and still run well.  I always thought they would be a "throw away" car.  Evidently, that 2.4L has been dependable.  I've only driven one once.  From Spokane WA to Calgary and back, passing the Continental Divide en route.  I liked it but I didn't love it.  I believe I had a coupe.  Alero coupes were actually sort of cool and nice looking.

After moving back to Ohio last year after years in the West, it is funny is how many GM cars of the last 20 or so years I still see around....not just Chevys and Cadillacs, but Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Saturns, Pontiacs even.   Way more it seems than I saw in the Phoenix area during a typical week...

24 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

After moving back to Ohio last year after years in the West, it is funny is how many GM cars of the last 20 or so years I still see around....not just Chevys and Cadillacs, but Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Saturns, Pontiacs even.   Way more it seems than I saw in the Phoenix area during a typical week...

I think the average income is very different too between the midwest and the west coast. So hard to see older auto's around here as I rarely find older than 10 years for American, Asian or European auto's.  Too often you find just people updating every 3 years and older used auto's are sent elsewhere for Washington.

• Agree 1

Saw an Amphicar yesterday, white w/ a black convertible top.   First one I can recall ever seeing..was up on a rack inside the Quaker Steak & Lube Restaurant, Vermillion, Ohio.   Walked underneath--neat looking, flat bottom w/ twin propellers at the back.     

In the restaurant parking lot, saw a black Tesla Model S (don't see many around NE Ohio compared to Scottsdale), and a new '18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in dark gray---sharp, the differences from the previous are subtle--biggest cues are the lighting changes front and rear. 

IMG-4287.JPG

• Agree 2

On 2/14/2018 at 3:47 PM, dfelt said:

I think the average income is very different too between the midwest and the west coast. So hard to see older auto's around here as I rarely find older than 10 years for American, Asian or European auto's.  Too often you find just people updating every 3 years and older used auto's are sent elsewhere for Washington.

I'm betting many more people lease in and around Seattle (less so in Tacoma!) and cars come off leases.  I really think that the area is much more receptive to foreign iron than to American iron.  I recall seeing most people of means on the Eastside behind the wheel of an expensive German car.

8 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

IMG-4287.JPG

I was in one of these joints and there were 2 cars hoisted up.  One might have been a T-bird.  The other a Monte Carlo.  Not completely sure.  However, sitting directly under them for prolonged periods wasn't a lot of fun because the lighting isn't as good as it is elsewhere in the restaurant.

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I was in one of these joints and there were 2 cars hoisted up.  One might have been a T-bird.  The other a Monte Carlo.  Not completely sure.  However, sitting directly under them for prolonged periods wasn't a lot of fun because the lighting isn't as good as it is elsewhere in the restaurant.

Yeah, kind of dim under the car...the QS&L near me (Valley View, Oh) has racing cars inside--a Michael Andretti Indy Car and an older Monte Carlo stock car.

• Agree 1

Sitting here enjoying happy hour on a sunny 70 degree day in a hipster gastropub in one of Cleveland's gentrifying neighborhoods---having enjoyed some poutine and a couple craft beers--watching traffic go by on the potholed street outside I saw a couple cars that stood out--a black Tesla Model S and a sublime bright blue Acura NSX--the Ohio built Japanese sports car.  ❤️

Though I'm hearing Coldplay in the bar, I was listening to Roxy Music's outstanding 1980 album 'Flesh and Blood' in the JGC.  

Got home and took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather (14 degrees warmer here than Phoenix today!)--walked a couple of the furs up and down my street...while walking I hear something rumbly--like an older car coming down the street--and turn to see a '79-85 Toronado roll by...silver, dark red top..clean shape as far as I could tell in the gloaming. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Got home and took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather (14 degrees warmer here than Phoenix today!)--walked a couple of the furs up and down my street...while walking I hear something rumbly--like an older car coming down the street--and turn to see a '79-85 Toronado roll by...silver, dark red top..clean shape as far as I could tell in the gloaming. 

I definitely remember the model, but telling which year they were was not easy.  Sometimes, the color identified the year because it was specific to that year.  I remember that both the Toro and Riv of this series had one helluva C pillar (no B pillar, really, because the door/rear glass was frameless).  I had only ridden in a Riv (it was an '83 and had the 4.1 litre 4 bbl. V6) but once actually drove an 80-something used Toronado.  I could not believe how smoothly it rode and handled.  Quite a ways up from a Cutlass Supreme.  I believe it had the 5.0 Olds V8.  Then I had to weasel out of not wanting to buy it.  All of those cars had the engine facing forward and I don't remember how and where they placed the transaxle.

I believe the Eldorado came on the same chassis.  And I remember that, per the badging, some of the Eldorados had the 4.1 litre V6 (as a credit option), some had the 4100 Cadillac V8, and some were unfortunate enough to have the V8-6-4, in which the technology was not worked out.  Cadillac lost a lot of fans because of that engine.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I love the boattail Rivs, esp. the '71-72 with the oh-so-cool offset rear license plate..

Your right, I will take a 71-72 over the 73. I do like that rear end.

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Your right, I will take a 71-72 over the 73. I do like that rear end.

See the source image

I had forgotten all about the offset license plate.  I think this car has a place in the annals of auto history, be it good or bad.  That of the first Riviera is undoubtedly good.  I do remember the transition to the 1974, though.  It was cleaner looking and had these thin twin lamps right under the more conservatively sloped rear window, as well as one of the first large opera windows (meant to be encircled by a landau top).

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Industry's first high mounted stop lamps, debuted on the '71 Toronado, adopted on the Riv in '74.

toro1972reartaillamp.jpg

You're right.  I had forgotten all about that.  So weird that the Riv and Toro were so different at that time, yet so similar in their last rendition (together).  There was what I called the "oval Riv" that continued on for a while after the Toro departed.

The '95-99, designed by long-time GM stylist Bill Porter. In general I like them, but they're almost TOO round. '90s stuff isn't my bag, anyway.

Toro & Riv had another distinctive, extremely uncommon separation; from '66-78, tho both were E-Bodies, the Riv was on a RWD chassis and the Toro was of course FWD. It's a great illustration of the autonomy of the GM Divisions thru the '70s (along with the high-mounted brake lights - which BTW; the Eldorado never incorporated).

Idiots on the Pass today, 2nd weekend in a row of 24" powder dumps and this moron shows up in his FWD Audi with no chains and gets stuck. Resort folks used their F150 4x4 and pulled him out. 

20180224_075949[1].jpg

• Confused 1

Spent a few hours wandering around the Cleveland Auto Show yesterday, took a few pics, but mostly enjoyed taking in the new cars...huge crowd being it was a rainy Saturday afternoon.  Highlights included the '19 Corvette ZR-1 convertible in orange, a Camaro ZL-1 in blue, the new Navigator in silver blue w/ light blue interior, the Continental in dark blue w/ light blue interior.  Many of the Cadillacs were locked, couldn't sit in them...a bummer.   The Lexus LC is quite wild looking in person.  Really liked the Regal Sportback and Tour-X. 

Today was nice and sunny, took a drive up the Lake Erie Coast to see lighthouses in Dunkirk, NY and Erie, PA....saw a dark red G8 GXP and a current silver Nissan GT-R in Dunkirk.   Drove out to Presque Isle, PA in Erie, beautiful beaches and park.

The old Dodge truck was parked in front a winery near the PA-NY state line.  Lots of wineries to explore up there. 

IMG-4306.JPG

IMG-4309.JPG

IMG-4316.JPG

IMG-4321.JPG

IMG-4322.JPG

IMG-4327.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

As I approached this car, I thought it was a Pontiac Solstice.  As I got closer, I figured out it was the Saturn Sky.  Now, these small 2-seaters aren't my sorts of sleds.  However, if I were to have opted for one, it would have come from the GM family.  I always thought Saturn had a cool logo.  After looking at this again (see the badge on the front of the car), this feeling was reaffirmed.

WP_011256.jpg

WP_011255.jpg

WP_011257.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1